PDA

View Full Version : Riverside Flight Center

FlyingBeachball
7th Apr 2005, 15:36
I have a dilemma; I’m packing up work hopefully to commence the ATPL exams and hopefully then start the flight training.

I’ve already got my PPL and Night ratings, therefore I’m compelled to go through the modular route, which is not a problem, however I’m only going to one school.

Therefore I’ve worked out the costs to a level playing field with what Riverside has quoted me against Stapleford and Bournemouth, which after analysing the costs and time it appear that Riverside and Stapleford prices are very close should I complete the course in the set amount of hours. However, Riverside’s structure appears to be quicker. Should I over run on hours, Riverside appears to be cheaper than Stapleford.

My dilemma is this; I know Stapleford and the level of training combined with the atmosphere as well as the guy who runs Riverside, who is an ex-Stapleford Instructor, and if my memory serves me well, the comments on his training in the past have been good. I also believe another ex-Stapleford Instructor is also training for Riverside who also got good reviews. So in which direction is the best way foreward?

Bare in mind that at the end of the day, having no income for the home to support my family and the competition of gaining a job is difficult; time is not on my side.

Therefore I know what Stapleford is like from first hand experience and having known the reputation of two of the instructors at Riverside I’m not sure in the direction to turn.

Has anyone have any good or bad experiences in the past or present with either Stapleford or Riverside or any complications / pitfalls that I may have overlooked in order to help me make my mind up as I have one chance at this and it’s a big investment to mess up.

I thank you all in advance.

piper pervert
7th Apr 2005, 16:39
Hi,
check your pm's!

thanks.

FlyingBeachball
7th Apr 2005, 17:12
Piper pervert,

Thanks for you message, please check your PM's

WX Man
12th Apr 2005, 10:15
I did FAA CPL and IR with Riverside- top notch, no worries. Got mates out there at the moment doing the same thing.

I also did my ATPL and converted the IR in Bournemouth- if you want to pick my brains on anything, please PM me.

pablo1uk
22nd Aug 2005, 20:48
Hi Guys

Im new to this.

Basically The sale of my house is going through as we speak, and I actually leave my job in 2 weeks. My dilema is similar to Flying Beachball except i have done no flight training. After exhaustive research I have narrowed mmy choices down to Riverside/Exeter & Stapleford to go from zero to fATPL.

Does anybody have any comments and which route they would think is the best...I am currently almost 30 so its now or never i guess?! LOL.

Riverside is cheaper, and are now offering the full course with conversion in Uk for just over 19k, or same course with 100 Hrs ME for 24k...Or there is the Stapleford option for all training in the Uk. Would this look better on my CV?

Both seem to have positive comments on the forums

Helppppp!!!! Any advice muchly appreciated!

Thanks to all :D

judojamesg
23rd Aug 2005, 20:34
If anyone has any opinions on this it would be helpful to me as well. Many thanks

Judojamesg

WX Man
24th Aug 2005, 17:58
Go with Riverside. I went there, fab place, excellent instruction and good facilities as well. And very good atmosphere out there in Tulsa to top it all off. I miss it!

ask26
24th Aug 2005, 21:02
Did you get a position quickly with a major airline wxman and also where did you do your MCC with? Also did you have a loan to pay for the course or did you do it in bits as I'm thinking of the ab-initio route. It seems you get a lot more flying hours than an integrated course as well for the same qualification.

Jay_solo
25th Aug 2005, 11:40
Hi,

I am considering applying to Riverside Flight Center to complete their frozen ATPL course. I just have a few specific questions.

The first one is regarding the Career Development Loan. From previous experience, how long does it take from application to approval for the loan? Also, was it straight forward or difficult to get like a personal loan?

With regards to their accomodation; What is it like in terms of distance from the school, comfort, privacy, surrounding areas etc? Would I need a car?

And finally, I am thinking about attending in January/February time. Weather wise, are these months good?

If you can give as much detail as possible that would be great. I am mainly interested in responses from people who are currently on or who have completed the course in the last year or so.

I am aware of the numerous threads on Riverside, but I have specific questions regarding obtaining the career development loan, weather and the accomodations.

Thanks guys

T1000
25th Aug 2005, 19:02
Hello solo

RFC the place to be.

I did the Riverside/Exeter route this year, got out to Tulsa at the end of Feb with Hawaiian shirts and shorts. It was snowing. Damn. However, in a matter of days back to blue sky and sunshine, and kept getting hotter and hotter until I left mid April. Weather changes quick in the great plains, only stop to the flying was a huge thunderstorm that got all the brits out with their cameras trying to spot a twister.

Houses are fine, air con/kitchen/laudrette/gym. I cycled in 30 mins to the airport most days or got picked up in the mornings by your very own instructor or the boss himself, who's very good at gymnastics. Quiet area in lodge-like appartments

Had great fun doing my FAA PPL(ME),CPL/IR quick in 7 weeks.

Sorted out a CDL back in the UK before converting to a JAR licence at Exeter, took me 6 weeks. However, I had a vital piece of paperwork missing. A friend got it within a month.

Tulsa 'rocks'. Can hire cars ridiculously cheap, some guys paid a few dollars more to get a pick up to cruise around in and relax. Whatever route you choose good luck and enjoy your stay(?) in Oklahoma.

Knives, and stabbing weapons.

smith
25th Aug 2005, 19:45
Is the accomodation included in the price?

ask26
25th Aug 2005, 20:43
T1000 are you applying for airlines and if so have you got a job, and also does Riverside have a good rep amongst airlines compared to other modular courses?

T1000
25th Aug 2005, 22:15
Let me think..

Accomodation worked out about £11 a night in the apartments, I paid for that separately. Got a rough budget drawn up for me when I first arrived, came out very close at the end to the figure.

Dived into the airlines jobs swamp about a month ago, nothing yet, but stiff upper lip!

T1000

WX Man
26th Aug 2005, 22:07
Yo T1000, from Royal Tunbridge Wells. Are you me?!

If it took you 30 mins to cycle in, you're a lightweight :-)

It took me 20 mins to cycle in. And a nice cycle ride at that.

That cycle ride is when you don't want to use the transport (via Riverside's MPV) that is provided should you require it.

The accomodation is good standard. And Tulsa is fantastic. Can't wait to go back.

(oh, and mention nothing of good standards of training, management integrity etc etc....).

More info, PM me of course.

WX Man
26th Aug 2005, 22:13
Not exactly a major airline, but I've got a salaried job. In fact, my first job is in a position "of influence" (a position I got mostly through previous experience in management and ATS).

I am thoroughly enjoying my job, to the point where I have turned down interview offers with other larger operators (for more money).

Did MCC at Oxford... Highly recommended. You'd be a fool not to!

Any more info, PM me.

Jay_solo
8th Sep 2005, 19:33
I am heading to Riverside in December. But I may get my own place to stay (Not decided). But in any case, what is the public transport like in Tulsa? Is it cheap, accessible?? Or would I need a car when I get there?

Thanks

gwtw
27th Jan 2006, 09:14
I am due to do my 0-ATPL course at Riverside Flight Center.

although this £30k (without TR) is a great deal cheaper than than my initial choice of OAT, i still worry that the financial gamble is too great.

I am looking for info from people who have been to riverside regarding how successful they have been in finding employment in the U.K.

Are u unemployed?

was it a good investment/bad investment?

did u have to pay for your own Type Rating?

Obviously any feedback woud be a massive massive help

GWTW

smith
27th Jan 2006, 09:22
All of us are worried about it, if you worry more than you are prepared to gamble don't do it. But just like the lottery says "You need to be in it to win it!!". One thing is for sure,if you don't have the licenses you definately won't get the job.

gwtw
27th Jan 2006, 09:53
yeah i get your point

........was just hoping that somebody that is at or has been to riverside could reply.

gwtw

bad credit
27th Jan 2006, 11:11
I went to riverside (stapleford usa as it was then) and did my FAA PPL and hour building there. I did the rest of my training elsewhere.
Riverside for me was great with comfy accomodation, well maintained aircraft and would recommend them as a sound, honest outfit. I did not do the whole package so can only tell you about the PPL side and facilities out there.

KrazyKraut
27th Jan 2006, 17:32
gwtw,

when it comes to getting a job, there's something far more important than where you do the training: your personal attributes. Many schools provide good training - though there are differences - but what really matters is YOU.

You could be an integrated OAT student and not get a job, just as easily as a modular student from another JAA FTO could get one. Quality of training is obviously important, but a bad student from a good school would never get a job over an outstanding student from a below-par FTO.

Research your options carefully, and if you like the school you've seen, go there. Whether people on PPRuNe say that your job prospects after going there are good or bad shouldn't play a huge factor - because it leaves yourself out of the equation.

Good luck,

KK

Dave Martin
7th Mar 2006, 08:24
Just noticed an advert for this organisation in the back of this weeks Flight.

JAA training, zero to fATPL, 3 months in the US, remaining 9 in the UK, essentially seeming like an integrated course, all for £20,200.

With all the discussion of over priced integrated courses, this is even cheaper than modular. On the face of it it seems to be a structured modular, or maybe more accurately, home taught integrated.

So, what's the catch? Anyone been there?

www.riversideflightcenter.com

bfato
7th Mar 2006, 12:15
superpilot, did the other schools you looked at include all those in their quotes as well? Approach fees maybe, but the test fees, licence fees, accomodation and food?

welliewanger
7th Mar 2006, 12:51
There's a few very cheap FTOs in America. But you have to remember that you'll have to convert to JAA which isn't as easy as it may sound.

G-SP0T
7th Mar 2006, 13:08
i hour built with them, i thought they were great.

best bet is to give there english contact a call and decide for yourself what YOU think of them.

EGBKFLYER
7th Mar 2006, 13:10
SP - think it's even worse than that...

Exam fees are £840 and the IR and CPL skills test fee are now £691
MEP Class rating is £105 not £637.

Current CAA charges scheme is here:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_SCharges_prof_06.pdf

GusHoneybun
7th Mar 2006, 15:43
First off, this is not an integrated course. It's modular so it's not a comparison to the likes of OAT.
On the face of it, it does look cheaper, but looks can be deceptive. For simplicity I will ignore all the exam fees, tests, accom as this is a fixed cost no matter where you go. Then, take out the PPL, Hour Building and ATPL which comes to about 8 grand (their figures not mine). Which leaves twelve grand left. Now, they like to think that with this 12 grand you will pass all the FAA stuff and then convert to the JAA. The problem here is the conversion from the US IR to the UK IR. If you have very limited IR experience, plus you have not experienced UK airspace, do not think for one minute that you will be able to convert in the minimum of 15 hours. Budget for at least twice that.

What I don't understand is that they list a JAR CPL course! My understanding is that if you hold an ICAO CPL (FAA) then you only need training as required before sitting the CPL test.

Personally, unless you can work in the states there is little point training over there for commercial licences. By all means do your PPL and Hour Building over there. However the CPL and IR will serve you better if you train in the UK. In the end it works out about the same cost (in real terms) as training stateside.

G-SP0T
7th Mar 2006, 16:16
As i understand it, you do not train for the FAA CPL, only the FAA IR, then convert that to a JAA IR, before going to the 15hr CPL course for IR holders...

it is all very well saying dont train in the US, but different people have different requirements - for example you need to pass quickly and cant afford to be waiting for wx.

it is also worth noting tht big schools like oxford train outside of the uk (yet still charge uk prices!) so its difficult to make an argument based on airspace/atc etc. the thing to remember is once u get on to your a380 u wont care abt wether u can fly vfr from one town to another on compass and stopwatch!!

jace
8th Mar 2006, 14:12
I have to agree with the earlier post give them a call, i did my ppl with them last year. I'm currently doing my atpl back in the uk cant wait to go back to hour build get my ir and multi rating then come back to the uk to convert. Weather is great for flying so no sitting around for days in the rain either!

Dave you can pm me if you want:ok: :ok:

Send Clowns
8th Mar 2006, 14:34
Talk to some people who have done the FAA IR then immediate conversion to JAA. Those I have met have said that it wasn't worth doing the FAA first, the training was of little use towards achieving the JAA rating. Take that false saving out of your figures and you come up with pretty much the same costs as you could find the training for never leaving the UK, if you are creative with your hour building (say using the money you have ready for the CPL/IR to buy a share, then sell the share when you have the hours at a very good rate for little or no loss).

airlinepilot1960
8th Mar 2006, 14:49
Yes you can buy a share but can you afford to pay if the engine throws a conrod and needs a overhaul ? A scary proposition no one ever mentions on this idea of buying a share and hour building with your shared plane.

One day you have a 10 000 quid share in a perfectly servicable plane, the next day you how 2500 more to overhaul the engine ! I would rather hire some one elses plane and let them have that risk.

Dave Martin
8th Mar 2006, 15:01
Thanks for the details folks. Unfortunately I'm a long way from being able to afford any of this, but the advert did spike my interest.

Cheers!

Send Clowns
8th Mar 2006, 15:42
airline

It is a small risk, but a share can cost as little as 2,500, usually with an established fund (certainly something that should be checked) and a reconditioned engine between 10 people should not be 2,500 extra!

The risk is very low. In 1000 hours, of which some 130 or so has been on twins, I have never had an engine failure on the ground or in the air. The only company I worked for that had an unexpected engine change it was at 0.8 hours, so was covered under warranty! The only group I have known of to have such an issue was a Yak, and big engines can be sensiive, especially used in anything but smooth operations.

Charley
8th Mar 2006, 23:04
Talk to some people who have done the FAA IR then immediate conversion to JAA. Those I have met have said that it wasn't worth doing the FAA first, the training was of little use towards achieving the JAA rating. Take that false saving out of your figures and you come up with pretty much the same costs as you could find the training for never leaving the UK...

While this may be a perfectly valid and accurate point of view for some it may not be for others. In fact, from personal experience, I couldn't disagree more.

I suspect it comes down to where one trains. Riverside did the job for me and the guys there have all been through the JAA system (well those teaching the IR bits, anyway). In fact the CFI of the school there is a Brit who previously instructed here in Blighty so he knows what will be expected of you and makes sure you can perform to the standards expected during conversion.

I went through the FAA IR there and then did some extra IR-esque hour building in the twin afterwards (at £100 ph!). On coming home I went through the conversion in a smidge over min time. In terms of cost, I spent the same as I would have done by doing the full course here but I ended up with more hours and significantly more aircraft (and MEP) time - far more fun than flying a sim around for 35 hours.

As as been suggested, try to talk to a variety of folk who have each done things differently and see what works for you.

seatofpants
29th Jun 2006, 22:17
I'm looking at doing my CPL and IR at Riverside next month but as things change so quickly in the training industry I was wondering does anyone have any recent experience of the school?

adverse-bump
30th Jun 2006, 21:17
i did some hour building with them earlier this year, and have a few friends who trained with them. I dont want to get into the training in the USA discussion theres plenty on here about all that already, and i recomend you give it a read (taken with a pinch of salt).

I found RVS to be excellent, nice a/c, nice busy location, and an excellent management team that will look after you very well. they are very fair with everything and wont mess you about.

pm me if u want me to try and put u in contact with some x students.

seatofpants
4th Jul 2006, 11:26
C'mon people!! Someone out there must have some feedback on this place!!

chipieflyer
4th Jul 2006, 17:08
I did my multi CPL with them at the end of last year, and then converted at Airways, Exeter. I would definitley recommend them. As said before, very professional and very fair which makes a refreshing change to some of my previous experiences!

If you have any more specific questions feel free to pm me.

Chinchilla.612
5th Jul 2006, 10:59
I did my FAA ME CPL and IR with them and found them to be very good, and highly professional.

Did the conversion with Airways Flight Training at Exeter, and had no problems at all. 2 flights (including test) to convert CPL, and 15 hours (of which 5 was in sim) to convert the IR with a full 1st time pass.

They teach the IR to the standard required for a JAA pass, not just an FAA one, so it's a fairly simple process on your return. Even down to the same aircraft type, and identical check lists. The only real differences when you come back are the radio calls and the temperature!!

Worked out much less expensive for me, and I had a great time whilst I was out there too.

I have no problems with highly recommending them to anyone!! :ok:

Chinchilla.

gsishta
25th Sep 2006, 08:52
Hello all :)
Am about to sign up for a CPL at Riverside Flight center in Tulsa....only I do have a choice of going there either in November or January. The choice of school is'nt fixed either.

Do I have to worry about weather delays during these months? Is it advisable to learn to fly at Florida or Texas instead?

Does anyone have any advice/information on Riverside to share?

Thanks!
G.

wbryce
26th Sep 2006, 10:37
Im interested in Riversides Proficiency package....Can anyone let me know how many flying hours are involved in this package and on what type?

I would be interested in doing some ME time too - if anyone knows their current requirements/hire rates after FAA CPL/IR ME issue then that would be of great use! :)

chti71
2nd Oct 2006, 23:53
Do I have to worry about weather delays during these months? Is it advisable to learn to fly at Florida or Texas instead?

Weather IS a factor to put in equation...Oklahoma has tornado season, Florida has hurricane season and afternoon CB's, Texas is Hooooooot.

Anywhere in the "south" (CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL) is better than the "yankee" states weatherwise.

But think also fleet availabilities, airport ground delays (nobody like to log taxi time), ect etc etc...

RVS seems like a nice place, didn't know about it since this year when I landed there and I found myself surrounded with all those bugs smashers talking to ATC with funny accents :-)

Words of mouth...if the alumni liked it (and are not forced to say good things about it) go for it.

Happy Flying Everybody
chti71
http://www.skysafety.com

wbryce
3rd Oct 2006, 11:07
sent riverside two emails last one was 5 or so days ago and had no reply... :(

D'vay
18th Oct 2006, 18:22
Unless Their requirements have changed, they are as follows: Phone uk number. Book. Sit for a couple of hours in the US embassy (remembering to take an unread copy of Pilot and one of Flyby magazine) and then get on a plane and have a ******* hoot! If you are going for the proficiency you may not need an M1 visa as you might not be undergoing any training. For the M.E. Rating As the FAR's say all you need to hold is an FAA PPL, which is pretty much a paperwork excercise that I think you do in the states. Although in the states you need to do about forty hours of training in a M.E. this is about as much as you'd pay for (the realistic) 10 that you'd do here.

Once in Tulsa, Spend your first night in Danny Bob's and then make sure that you find the street named peoria, as I can't allow you to wallow away in that pit. Except of course the nights that shawna is working their!

Regards

D'vay

ccopter
22nd Oct 2006, 16:07
Hello - Any feedback regarding above college would be gladly recieved. Primary concerns:

1 - Do they have good availability of aircraft and instructors? Any problems with lack of these hampering progress?

2 - Intending on going from May to July - Any input on how the weather is likely to be then? School say it shoould be OK as storm season is generally during spring?

3 - accomodation provided by the school OK?

Any other input would be great and PM me if thats easier?

D'vay
22nd Oct 2006, 19:14
check out the riverside thread on the next page, unless someone posts on it soon!
D'vay

rahulbeckham
24th Nov 2006, 11:59
hello guys.my name is rahul and i am from india.i am planning to go to riverside for my cpl training in january.if anybody can help me please tell me what riverside is like?is it worth spending $31000 there or rather do it in india itself.the problem in india is all schools are taking a ot of time to complete the required 200 hours and multi.please guide me.

rahulbeckham
24th Nov 2006, 12:03
hi my name is rahul and i am from india.i am planning to go to riverside for my cpl training in january.please tell me if it is worth going?:)

gsishta
1st Dec 2006, 17:21
Hey people!! its all good here in Tulsa, we're snowed out for today so no ground classes :) had the first snow of the season and a great snowball fight last eve with the students and our dear Chief instructor!
Have started ground classes and had my first Sim session with Peter, my instructor. Anyways just wanted to say what a great place this is and the fact that we operate out of a class D airport thats on the border of class C airspace is turning out to be a critical advantage for all us aspiring commercial pilots ....which reminds me ..theres a LOT of those around here!! ...most, like me, from India and theres more coming in but so are the aircraft...5 new 152's arriving this week.....
During my first briefing with Peter he asked me to make a call to an FSS for a Preflight wx brief ...so i did, all the while looking out at the overcast sky and strong winds..just waiting to snow....and when the Wx guy heard i was calling "for VFR" he burst out laughing! "where ARE you? are you near a window?!"
But when I told him it was my first ever call and for practice only , Boy was he helpful! he patiently took me through each part of the standard wx brief and I wish there was some way for me to thank him.....
Thazzit for now folks,
Watch this space :)
G.

gsishta
1st Dec 2006, 17:23
Hey people!! its all good here in Tulsa, we're snowed out for today so no ground classes :) had the first snow of the season and a great snowball fight last eve with the students and our dear Chief instructor!
Have started ground classes and had my first Sim session with Peter, my instructor. Anyways just wanted to say what a great place this is and the fact that we operate out of a class D airport thats on the border of class C airspace is turning out to be a critical advantage for all us aspiring commercial pilots ....which reminds me ..theres a LOT of those around here!! ...most, like me, from India and theres more coming in but so are the aircraft...5 new 152's arriving this week.....
During my first briefing with Peter he asked me to make a call to an FSS for a Preflight wx brief ...so i did, all the while looking out at the overcast sky and strong winds..just waiting to snow....and when the Wx guy heard i was calling "for VFR" he burst out laughing! "where ARE you? are you near a window?!"
But when I told him it was my first ever call and for practice only , Boy was he helpful! he patiently took me through each part of the standard wx brief and I wish there was some way for me to thank him.....
Thazzit for now folks,
Watch this space :)
G.

DrPaul
13th Jul 2007, 13:31
I'm at RFC at the moment - if you have any specific questions get in contact....

[email protected]

DrPaul
13th Jul 2007, 13:34
I'm there at the moment

any Questions email me:

[email protected]

adverse-bump
13th Jul 2007, 13:37
anyone if riverside are looking for FI's?