PDA

View Full Version : PanPanPan!

Foot in Mouth
14th Jun 2001, 23:03
The other day I was working at my sector when an aircraft declared a PAN.The pilot only transmitted the word PAN once and so I initialy missed the gravity of the situation.
ATCO's are not always giving your flight their undivided attention due to telephone coordination etc...I then worked out that as a practicing ATCO with over twenty years in
the job (I'm going to stick at it 'till I get it right :) ) I have handled three "PANS"
and not one pilot said PAN three times.Please say MAYDAY/PAN three times as it will get the Controller's attention
ie
PAN#1 ATCO thinks what was that?
PAN#2 ATCO thinks was that for me?
PAN#3 ATCO thinks Bloody Hell I need a break
and/or leaps into action.
Although this may seem light hearted the main point is THREE IS GOOD!!!!

FiM.

ps On the other hand you pilot types could
always try and remain super cool however I think the following exchange may take some beating:
*AW ****"Tower if it's not a problem do you think you could possibly call your fire chappies out because I think my port engine is on fire.Thank you"
Ahhhh........Bring back Budgies and Highland Division. :)

HugMonster
14th Jun 2001, 23:14
Actually, the phrase is "Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Pan Pan".

Bellerophon
14th Jun 2001, 23:26
Hi Foot in Mouth

Three times certainly for a MAYDAY, but for a PAN, isn't it three pairs, ie six times? :)

Worked well for me last time - keep up the good work!

411A
14th Jun 2001, 23:28
Understand in the UK, that these are "practiced" by students for their PPL. If this is correct, the question surely must be......WHY? Something to due with JAR perhaps?

5milesbaby
15th Jun 2001, 00:05
this is similar to the 'Pan or Mayday' thread just moved to Aircrew Notices. Its funny how pilots don't regard much severity for a 'Pan' call, normally when there's a sick pax and they want a direct. Its such a pain in the arse once all the details are passed to ATC for us to say, 'confirm declaring an emergency' just to get that Pan or Mayday said for the tapes. I know that starting Pan Pan..... for this situation is a bit ott, but calling 'London from XYZ***', us saying 'Go ahead', then responding 'XYZ***, we are declaring a Pan emergency........' or words of that manner, it gets our attention just by saying the first, and lets us know instantly how bad the situation is. But for Mayday's, starting instantly with the 3 words, especially shouted, will get a small welp and call for trouser change without delay.

Sleeve Wing
15th Jun 2001, 00:20
Good point,411A. Sure we teach it.
Usually its practised to convince the student
not to be afraid to use 121.5.
For example,if the guy gets thoroughly lost
on a navex in the UK'S unpredictable weather,he's not afraid to get friendly, rapid assistance before the fuel runs out.
;) ;) ;)

Captain Airclues
15th Jun 2001, 02:48
The three Pans are only mandatory in the UK (UK CAP 413). The ICAO Doc 9432 only requires it three times "if possible".

Airclues

PS. Many thanks to a very nice Scottish gentleman for the above info.