PDA

View Full Version : Security Question MCO (Orlando)

night hawk 150
6th Mar 2006, 20:36
Hi,

i have heard that there is some issues for Visitors to the USA have been refused entry with LAPTOP Computers, IS THIS TRUE?

The purpose of this is i am looking to take my laptop to the USA when traveling on my Honeymoon so that i can download my pictures on it instead of buying shed loads of memory cards.

Anyone have some security advice to offer or have heard along the great vine?

I have looked at the US EMB WEBSITE and no luck was thinkning of calling them in london.

Thank
Craig :ok:

Wycombe
7th Mar 2006, 07:58
Recently travelled through MCO from the UK. The security process there is farcical (on top of the normal slow process at US Immigration & Customs) , but I didn't see anybody being refused entry with a laptop. You may well have to get it out/power it up etc.
As illuded to above though, do be prepared for a wait due to the TSA carrying out a security check on you *after* you have left the a/c! (completely bizarre job creation scheme as far as I can see)
You will also have to re-claim your bags twice.
Took us about 1.5 hrs after arrival to get processed, but I've heard it can be a lot worse :mad:

qcode
7th Mar 2006, 08:23
Took mine through last year no problem, however the security procedures are still farcical.

cjhants
7th Mar 2006, 10:38
went through MCO last october with a laptop. you have to take it out of its bag to put it through the scanner, and also take your shoes off.
i must have been lucky, it was half term week, and the lines were shorter than LHR and LGW.

a new thing on exit from the states was having our fingerprints taken prior to boarding the return flight, as well as on entry. this was a self service machine, you swiped your passport, and then had your index fingers scanned. i suppose to make sure the same person left as entered.

have a good honeymoon, and dont forget to post a full report on here when you get back !!

Globaliser
7th Mar 2006, 17:21
As illuded to above though, do be prepared for a wait due to the TSA carrying out a security check on you *after* you have left the a/c! (completely bizarre job creation scheme as far as I can see)
You will also have to re-claim your bags twice.I'm no fan of the TSA, but this is not their fault.

It's the fault of a stupid airport design (too common in the US) that treats international flights as optional curiosities, and therefore tips arriving international passengers into the domestic airside gate areas. By definition, at the time you enter those areas you have not been screened to US standards, and also you have had access to checked baggage as you have had to collect that to clear customs. And you then have to give it back because the "proper" baggage reclaim (in the eyes of those airport designers) is the same insecure reclaim as those used for domestic flights.

Global Pilot
7th Mar 2006, 20:15
Passed thru MCO yesterday with my laptop. Had to remove it from bag but nothing new here. TSA are just doing their jobs guys! When traveling in the US, remove everything from your pockets, best thing is to place everything (change, wallet, phone, jewellery ets) in a clear ziplock bag, remove shoes, jacket,belt and put everything thru the scanner. If we all approached the TSA scanning prepared then things would move much quicker.

a new thing on exit from the states was having our fingerprints taken prior to boarding the return flight, as well as on entry. this was a self service machine, you swiped your passport, and then had your index fingers scanned.
Heard from a Dept of Homeland Security officer on my re-entry to US that this systme is only in place in a few airports and doesn't really serve any purpose as it isn't hooked up to their main database. Main thing to ensure is that the porition of your landing card that is stapled to your visa on entry is removed by the airline when you are departing. This is the only formal record that you have left the country and witihin the requirements of the visa you entered on. Carriers are pretty good at ensuring this is done but make sure of next time you want to get in will not be so easy!

mymymy
7th Mar 2006, 23:58
Craig,
Travel tips from TSA here.....
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1254.xml
Have a great honeymoon:ok:
3my