PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Power in the UK

BillHicksRules
6th Mar 2006, 20:19
Dear all,

With the release this week of the SDC report on the future for Britain's energy needs I thought it might be worth seeing what my fellow ppruners opinions were on what we should be doing as a nation.

Cheers

BHr

tony draper
6th Mar 2006, 20:29
Nuclear of course,we have to be insane to ignore a power source like that,that or coal,we sit on billions of tons of the bloody stuff, and we own it we wouldn't have to rely on a bunch of bearded loons for our energy, **** the greens, perhaps if we chuck enough carbon into the atmosphere it may hold off the coming Ice Age for a few centuries.
:E

ex_matelot
6th Mar 2006, 20:40
I reckon we are heading to an inevitable mad-max scenario where tribes of the population wage war with each other over a gallon of 4 star...

Just look what happens everytime a shortage is predicted or blockades are threatened...panic buying...anarchy!

Also reckon technology has advanced so far already to do without the need for petrol to power cars and still run them at the same performance and efficiency..just some oil tycoon has 'paid off' the inventer to keep his mouth shut!

tilewood
6th Mar 2006, 20:48
Not so long ago GB Ltd was built and sustained on coal, and we built
an empire on coal.

It supplied our home heating, it generated our electricity, produced
coal gas, and provided coke ( remember that ). It's by-product
of clinker found many uses. Our rail system, the envy of the world,
was founded upon it.

And the vast majority of it was mined here in Britain. We have enough
to supply our needs for hundreds of years. So why on earth is this
government making us so dependant on imported energy from some of
the most radical and medieval regimes in the world.

We also pioneered atomic energy ' limitless and free '.

To me the answer is a combination of clean coal and atomic power, not a countryside littered with useless windmills, and a grovelling government in hoc
to eastern states and fundamentalists who threaten to turn our lights
off if we don't accept Islam as our state religion.

BlooMoo
6th Mar 2006, 20:54
Dear all,
what we should be doing as a nation.

...everything possible to make the climate warmer. Cosy climate = less oil/gas/coal/wood burning needed - and if the longer term result is half the Thames valley under 10ft of water then that gets rid of a few million consumers to boot - QED. Now how difficult is that ?

BM:ouch:

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 20:54
I was a mere yoof when I learned about the discovery of the fuel cell and it's ability to power vehicles. I can but assume that development since then has been stifled by the oil lobby (guess where the power base in America owes its allegiance). I appreciate that we'd need hydrogen (and therein lies the danger of terrorist action), but what's stopping the manufacturers now?

And THEN there's wave-power (no good for land vehicles but surely available for generation of electricity?). In my opinion wind-power is unreliable and 'inefficient' in that many many turbines are needed.

Failing that we'll have to get on our bikes. With a conveyor belt arrangement we could all pedal and generate power, each cyclist contributing to the great machine's movement. Every one would have an alloted time to 'exercise', in return for free electricity . . .

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 20:59
coal. It supplied our home heating, it generated our electricity, produced coal gas, and provided coke ( remember that ).

Coal gas was made by 'roasting' coal in enclosed ovens. The enclosed process could be arranged so that emissions were minimal, leaving coke (a smokeless fuel) and gas for our heating requirements.

ex_matelot
6th Mar 2006, 21:00
Not the conveyor belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony draper
6th Mar 2006, 21:29
Indeed there were two large coke ovens near me,both demolished and turned into flat grassed widerness now.
:cool:

Loose rivets
6th Mar 2006, 22:17
I remember the side of a coak oven being opened up...I thought, "If only we could deliver it while it was still hot, that would save a lot of energy." I was only little, but probably right.

Would you believe that coak is not in the spell checker....Word Perfect from the UK I might add.

I once flew the head of the European atomic energy something or another, around all the stations in the UK. Also, one of my neighbors was an executive of the then, government electrickery company. They were both convinced that by 1980, there would be Atomic energy and.....atomic energy. One of the places I went of course was Dounreay. Kinda telling isn't it?

We can't send acid rain to our neighbors, it makes their trees fall to bits, and they get cross. So, coal is out.

We need to stop wasting energy. The Americans are crucking fakkers, they boil you indoors when there's snow outside, and totally freeze your ker-nakkers off in hot climates. It has to stop.

Most of the civilized world uses street lighting to act as a ballast resistor for generators during the night....cheaper than shutting them down. The thousands of square miles of light on the Earth now is bewildering. Nice if you happen to be on a space-station, but of no use at all while it is not being directly used to see where the hell you're going. Headlamps could do that if we made them work properly.

Mmm, must just nip and put the A/C on to save taking me shirt off.

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Mar 2006, 05:35
Coke

The problem with wind and wave energy is that they all extract energy from the environment and there will be a price of sorts to pay.

Nuclear is the way to go.

acbus1
7th Mar 2006, 06:02
Hang on.....I seem to recall our coal supplies used to be subject to the whim of foreign powers!

Russia, mainly.

Via the likes of Scargill. :mad:

I can't help but conclude that the coal mining industry was shut down entirely as a result of the experiences of and lessons learnt by Heath and Thatcher.

Which reminds me.....can't we use the present Government as an energy source?

Seems wasteful not to use all that hot air! :rolleyes:

TheOddOne
7th Mar 2006, 13:44
We installed these to heat domestic hot water a few years ago. I could see then that the price of gas would go up, but not by as much as it has already. A neighbour asked at the time 'how long will it take to get the money back?' and I had to admit at the time it was around 30 years. That's fallen to less than 10, now, and drops every time to gas price goes up.

If you think that it doesn't work in the UK, think again. The system was chuntering away to itself this morning, on a cloudy day, air temp around +4C but with sufficient radiation getting through the clouds to warm the panels up to +30C. That's on a normal 30s built semi - there are millions of roofs just like mine, ripe for a few panels. The roof does need to be south-facing, though, for best results, although you can get east-west kits but not so efficient.

Next time, I might go for electric - photovoltaic. It was too expensive at the time, but is more versatile as to what you can do with the energy.

Like the cycling idea. Anyone got any kit or a link?

abacus 1,
Re Scargill,
I like it, I like it!

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Biggles Flies Undone
7th Mar 2006, 14:25
perhaps if we chuck enough carbon into the atmosphere it may hold off the coming Ice Age for a few centuries.
If it's good for the world's most serfistikated nayshun (the one we have a one-way special relationship with thanks to spineless Teflon Tone)
then why not? Kyoto? Nah, must be bull 'cos otherwise Dubya would have signed up for it :hmm:

TURIN
9th Mar 2006, 13:50
This should do it......

http://www.windsave.com/index.htm

Rushton
9th Mar 2006, 16:23
Turin

What's the take-off distance for that plane?

Argonautical
9th Mar 2006, 17:05
The future has to be nuclear.
To replace one average coal fired power station would take a wind farm covering an area of 193 square miles.
The green lobby don't seem to publicize this fact.