PDA

View Full Version : Multiflight Leeds

Captain Melly
6th Mar 2006, 19:00
Hi

Sorry if this has been covered before, just wondering if there was anyone out there in CPL/IR land doing their flying lessons with Multiflight at Leeds Bradford? If so, how's it going?

Cheers

CM

:D

YYZ
7th Mar 2006, 16:30
Fine thanks?

Anything more specific...

Captain Melly
7th Mar 2006, 22:39
Hi YYZ

Cheers for your reply! I'm considering doing all my flying training there and was wondering what it's like e.g. good teaching, good aircraft etc. You training there? What stage you up to?

Cheers

CM

YYZ
8th Mar 2006, 08:41
I've now finished my CPL/IR, but am doing an FI, the aircraft are good, however the 50 hour check seem to take a further 50 hours? Therefore you can loose a twin for a while, they seem to have addressed this by buying another BE76, and so it should be better now?

The instructors are good, patient & still remember flying should be fun, so the stress is reduced. They know who I am on this forum so I don’t want to big them up too much, their heads won't fit into the planes then:p

Overall, I had a good time spending a large sum of money with Multiflight, and if I had to do it all again, I would still choose them..

PM me if you want specifics on anything.

Good Luck
YYZ

Hollywood316
8th Mar 2006, 09:02
Hello mate!

Just a couple of questions. I see you're from the UK and Canada. Did you train in Canada, then convert to JAA. If so, how long did it take you to complete the ground school and flying phases. How did you find the difference between examination standards for the theory exams and flight tests? Im in the situation where i have my Canadian Cpl. I'm currently trying to study for my first module with bristol ground school. Im hoping to do all the ground school in 6 months(Full time distance learning). Is this realistic? But I have no idea how long the flying phase will take. Any help will be much appreciated.

Captain Melly
8th Mar 2006, 14:12
Thanks YYZ, your info is much appreciated!

Couple of questions I'd appreciate your advice on:

1. hope you don't mind me asking but roughly how much should I budget for, to include ground school and flying training? Does £30K sound realistic or is that a bit on the low side? I am going to hour build to 150 hours (currently have just over 100) and get a night rating, and get my distance learning done, then go onto flying training. How did you go about it?

2. do you need to concentrate on the ground school full time ie give up your job?

Cheers for any advice you have!

CM

PS I've got Canadian citizenship and would LOVE to fly over there one day!

YYZ
8th Mar 2006, 18:05
Not Canadian, British, though I go to Canada allot to see family, was there a good few months last year, inc hour building, and I will be going back next month..

Anyway, back to the questions:

Hollywood316, 6 Months is reasonable if you can remain motivated? And you pass all first time (and you're not thick), a resit will knock you back 6 weeks, flying time is subject to the WX, plus if you're converting, I have no idea what your requirements will be?

Captain Melly

I did my ground school with a full time job, took a little over a year Inc re-sits.

30K.. mmm, age old question, the IR generally goes to budget but from my Ltd experience the CPL can go mad without running over to much on the hours, this seemed to be the norm when I trained?

I have put before what it cost me on here somewhere, if I remember correctly it was a little over 40K, which was for everything from start to finish, 3.5 years worth.

Hope that helps a bit?

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

YYZ

MrHorgy
8th Mar 2006, 20:25
I'm at MultiFlight at the moment, i've onyl had a few lessons but the instruction seems excellent. I've already decided to do the rest of my training there - A) Because it's local B) Because there's lots of types of airpace around C) It seems like good value for money.

Aircraft are very well maintained (even if I did take a chip off one := ) - I flew the R200.

Horgy

Northern Highflyer
9th Mar 2006, 13:31
I was happy with the teaching and the course in general at Multiflight. Instructors are all excellent at what they do. The only grumble is you can be sat about a lot due to one or more of :

lots of students at times so you have to wait your turn
planes go tech (don't they all)
planes out quite a long time for checks / repairs
sim unavailable a few days each month due to MCC course
sim unavailable if someone does a renewal
weather - but it is Leeds

There was a good atmosphere between students and instructors when I was there, and that still seems to be the case when I visit.

Would I go there again ??? YES

Captain Melly
27th Mar 2006, 00:50
Thanks for all your messages, really helpful!

Hope to get to know some of you in person when I'm training there!

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers

CM

:) :)

T3D STRIK3R
27th Mar 2006, 20:25
Lord Flashheart - I also know multiflight. Haven't really heard a good thing about it. I did my PPL out of Leeds Bradford with LFS, nice place to learn.

However if your in the north have you tried Northern Aviation, cracking place and a great CFI.

MrHorgy
27th Mar 2006, 20:27
One hopes the quality of instruction at LFS isn't linked to the Aviation Course they part run at The University of Leeds - i've never seen a more disorganised institution. The idea that the CFI doesn't know what BCF stands for is at best, a joke. :uhoh:

/Personal Opinion
//Defending my Flying School in what is obviously a local Derby :}

Horgy

scroggs
28th Mar 2006, 07:03
Beware, all of you. Post your opinions, by all means, but do not descend into a slanging match. Use of profanities to describe schools is not acceptable. Posting opinions on schools you have no experience of is just plain stupid. You are presumably training to be professionals; try acting like it.

Scroggs

YYZ
28th Mar 2006, 15:06
I have trained at both, and both are good at what they do, however very different atmospheres will be found?
Can make a difference, go to both and have a look around, see where you feel your face fits.

YYZ

combineharvester
28th Mar 2006, 16:04
Probably have a little more experience of LFS than Multiflight, although MF did excellent takeaway sandwiches!

If you went to either the large consideration in LBA itself!
Runway 27/09 now closed thus restricting circuit traffic and possibly increasing the time you are held on the ground or in the air.
Leeds is on top of a large hill. There are lots of bad weather looking out of the window days. Its up to you if you decide to want to be in a portakabin or a double glazed office!

i'd like to extend the debate to:

Murgatroyd's or The fountain chip shop. down the road from LBA. One is a very large restaraunt with acceptable and pleasant food in nice packaging.
The other is a good old fashioned greasy chippy with excellent food, slightly cheaper.

Draw from that statement what you will

Proper Job

READY MESSAGE
28th Mar 2006, 17:30
Cracking post combineharvester! The chip shop analogy is very good. I went to LFS rather than MF, why? The book price for the IR was roughly the same but when you looked at it, at LFS you did 25 hours in the sim/25 aircraft where as MF was 35 hours sim/15 aircraft - 10 extra hours in the aircraft and a more friendly atmosphere did it for me. Shame my old instructor isn't there any more. Don't be drawn in by expensive marketing & glossy brochures......

MrHorgy
28th Mar 2006, 19:21
Ahh apologies scroggs, meant it light hearted.

Was just slightly disorganised with the Uni course - any grads on here care to share insight on year 2 and 3?

Oh, and Murgy's rules! :}

Horgy

fray bentos pielot
28th Mar 2006, 21:18
Ah, Mr Horgy, i believe we've spoken before. I was interested to read what you were saying about the aviaition degree at Leeds again. Obviously you'd know a lot about it, especially the flying side of things, after dropping out after first year. Or how did i put it previously, oh yes, being asked to leave. Ah well mate, a degree doesn't mean as much as it used to if it helps.

When i was there LFS had it sorted with the PPL stuff. Excellent set up, wicked summer learning to fly along side a useful and interesting degree course.

LFS are worth a look. Turst everyone there is well.

MrHorgy
28th Mar 2006, 21:30
Ah, Mr Horgy, i believe we've spoken before. I was interested to read what you were saying about the aviaition degree at Leeds again. Obviously you'd know a lot about it, especially the flying side of things, after dropping out after first year. Or how did i put it previously, oh yes, being asked to leave. Ah well mate, a degree doesn't mean as much as it used to if it helps.

Spoken before? Perhaps if i knew your name I would be able to verify that - but thanks for your constructive comments. Should you wish to comment on why I voluntarily left the University i'm happy to discuss it over PM, and not on a public forum - a place where comments about my private life are at best, unwelcome.

If you care to re read my post you'll notice I did not actually comment about the quality of instruction - I summised that judging by the classroom lectures they couldn't really be that great. I accept that it is based on one or two instructors, but I stand by what i experienced - I don't pay over £1,000 in fees a year to read a powerpoint presentation off a board. That money I saved was diverted towards flying with Multiflight, and I can honestly say was money well spent.

As it happens, I'm now happily employed with a charter airline at Manchester Airport - turns out a degree doesn't mean that much after all.

Hope your having fun with your dissertation! :ok:

Horgy

fray bentos pielot
28th Mar 2006, 21:48
When you say employed with an airline at Manchester, do you mean as a pilot?

If i had stayed in Leeds i would have trained with LFS not MF but that is just personal opinion. I've only looked around MF once and thought it looked lovely, i thought a lot of other things too but this is not the time or the place for opinions apparently.

Facts we are allowed to do though, so i'd just say both schools are worth looking at. Don't rule LFS out because it's off site or not quite as shinny as MF. Talk to students and instructors and see where you like the feel of.

MrHorgy
28th Mar 2006, 21:58
When you say employed with an airline at Manchester, do you mean as a pilot?

No, but it's a favorable position for when I complete my license.

If you wish to pass comment on MultiFlight I can't see why that wouldn't be appropriate, this thread was after all setup for just such a purpose. My objection was with you claiming I was kicked off my course - something that is A) none of your business, and B) Would only be known to myself, my tutor and the University.

Sorry for thread hijacking - let the debate continue!

Horgy

combineharvester
29th Mar 2006, 05:39
I think we should all calm down a little!

Captain Melly was actually enquiring about Multiflight! not which one to go to. Im sure they could now be left with the impression there is lots of animosity between the two schools! This is far from the case in my opinion.

of course between the chip shops that is a different matter.....

Best of Luck

Pilotdom
16th Jul 2006, 14:41
Anybody done modular or integrated route with Multiflight at Leeds/Bradford?

My reason for asking is im currently researching best schools to train with. I know that multiflight use BGS for the theory side of things but im interested to know what there flight training is like and also what the instructors are like. I would be very grateful of anyones opinions.

Dom

Feel free to Pm me if you so wish.

oneip01
21st Jul 2006, 14:57
I'm considering doing the back to back modular course at MultiFlight - Leeds. I'm currently going through the CTC application process, but as a back up plan MultiFlight seems like a good option.

Has anyone done (or doing) a back to back modular course and completed the PPL part in the USA? If so it would be great to hear your opinions! The reason I ask is although this gets you your PPL, night rating and required hour building in a short space of time I've heard that many students then struggle further down the CPL course because of the differences in radio usage out in the US and also a lack of flying experience in the UK.

Cheers!

m3oml
28th Jul 2006, 14:26
I am enrolled with Multiflight on their ATPL ab-initio course, currently studying for my ATPLs before starting the CPL and IR etc. Bit of info based on my experience thus far:

First of all, their partner London Aviation in Florida were brilliant. I had an excellent instructor and got through my FAA PPL in hours budgeted for.Danielle organises the place very well and is a very calming influence when it comes to check rides etc, especially the JAA conversion as she is the examiner. She knows how to get the best out of you and actually enjoy the check ride whilst at the same time working you very hard.
the hour building process is good fun, although hard work, averaging 3-4 hours flying a day 6 days a week in 30 deg heat. Having done your PPL training in the lovely shiny and comfortable C172 you may find tootling around in the older C150 for100 hrs building in the heat somewhat harder, maybe thats only cos you are spoiled rotten n the C172. Therefore my suggestion here is maybe to think about budgeting for (no more than) $4k extra to do all or some of your hour building in the 172. Having said that, it is purely personal choice,my only point is that once you've spent 40-50 hours in one of the nicest PPL training planes you could wish for, everything else seems a bit bland :O i did roughly half of my hour building in the 150 and half in the 172. The upside of the C150 is that it almost exclusively becomes your plane for 5 weeks, like having your own personal plane as it is only used for those doing hour building, whereas depending on schedule you have to fit in with everyone else for the C172 s, but thats no major deal.
Naples is a great place to stay for 10 weeks and you'll get to meet plenty of people form the various schools as well as private jet pilots etc working out of the airport. Naples is a fantastic little airport, very busy which is good cos it gives you experience of coming in and out of an airport with lots of jet traffic whilst at the same time its an airport that caters perfectly for student pilots with excellent resident ATC controllers. With regards to weather, i was there March to mid-may. March and April are as near to perfect weather as you could wish for, both in terms of pleasant weather to be in and for flying. I guess this would apply for Jan/Feb too. Late May through to October by all accounts can be tough going, high humidity and daily thunderstorms. its certainly worth thinking about, especially if you're going to be there for 10 weeks at least.
With regards to Multiflight, the atmosphere there is great, and from the little i've seen so far and from what i've heard, the instructors are excellent.The administration side is also very well organised. As i'm studying now i'm not doing too much flying, but i'm trying to take the opportunity to go back seat or right hand seat with other people to at least get used to some procedural differences in UK flying (as opposed to Florida) so that i won't have to learn it all from fresh when i start my CPL. One of the hardest things seems to be R/t but i'm sure this will come with practice.
I hope this helps, if you want any more info or opinions please let me know

XL319
30th Jul 2006, 17:21
Anyone had any dealings with Multiflight? Good or bad experiences?

I am considering doing my CPL/IR with them and wondered whether there is any positive feedback?

GARDENER
30th Jul 2006, 18:53
Can't help with your question directly but depending on where you are based in the NorthEast it may be worth looking at Cleveland Flying School at Teesside/Durham Tees Valley as they do commercial training.

Northern Highflyer
31st Jul 2006, 09:47
I did my CPL/IR with Multiflight and was very happy with them. Good instructors who know their stuff and who you can have a laugh with. I had a very enjoyable time there all in all.

XL319
31st Jul 2006, 12:47
Can't help with your question directly but depending on where you are based in the NorthEast it may be worth looking at Cleveland Flying School at Teesside/Durham Tees Valley as they do commercial training.

I didn't know that - any advice on the school? Are they fairly cheap and reliable?

horseshoe
31st Dec 2006, 16:07
Yes I am another wannabe and reading some of the threads posted on this site I could just be making a very huge mistake, however, I pretty much have my heart set on it so what the hell, you only live once!

I am at the very early stages however (so may change my mind in due course:uhoh: ). I have decided that modular is the best route for me to take and Multiflight is my chosen school as I could commute. The question I am asking is why do Multiflight have you take your PPL in Florida and it cost 15k (that doesn't include flights or accommodation), when for example Stapleford the PPL costs just under 6K? And it only takes 4-6weeks at stapleford as opposed to 10 weeks at Multiflight (although 10 weeks in Florida sounds pretty good;) and I am aware that weather conditions may play a part in the UK) Would it not be wise to do my PPL at Stapleford and the rest of my course at Multiflight?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Horseshoe

Aim High
31st Dec 2006, 16:40
15 K for PPL!
Must include hour building. Go back and check the differences

As for PPL don't make mistake of rushing it
Take your time learning and understanding, fly in varied weather conditions and above all enjoy it

horseshoe
31st Dec 2006, 17:06
Thanks for that Aim High, I must check as you say. I am visiting the school so I will ask questions. Although it isnt a good idea to rush things I feel that time is not on my side as I am no spring chicken (32) so the quicker I can get it done the better.

Horseshoe

CAP509castaway
1st Jan 2007, 10:42
Hi Horse Sh...,
From somebody who has trodden the same path, a few words of advice.
Go down to Barton Aerodrome and chat to some of the instructors, I take it that you have had a few lessons already, and listen to their experiences.
Feel free to PM me
Regards Cap:} :} :}

mike mckenzie
10th Jan 2007, 20:23
Horseshoe
Just thought I would clear up what is included in the 15k at Multiflight. You would get an FAA PPL including FAA medical, study books, FAA written exam and certification fees, structured solo flying to total 150 hours including night rating and JAA conversion, all pre and post flight briefings, issue of I-20 visa approval, airport transfers (in US), Bristol Groundschool for ATPL theory exams and a guarentee of minimum hours training for MECPL and IR at Multiflight for another £14950.
Mike
Flight Training Manager
Multiflight

maxalphaboy
8th Mar 2007, 10:47
Guys n Gals,

I am seriously looking at going to multiflight in Leeds to conduct my ME CPL/IR. I would like to hear from anyone who has been there to do there ME CPL/IR.

In general what was the standard of the training, did you feel suitably comfortable with there training etc.....

Please tell me your experiences.

Rgds

MAB

Northern Highflyer
8th Mar 2007, 12:42
I went there and was very happy with the quality and standard of training.

Had to hang around a few times due to weather which delayed things a bit but that's Leeds for you.

PS now your post has been merged into a previous thread see my last answer at No. 9

Dried ears
8th Mar 2007, 14:04
Did my CPL/IR at Leeds flying school in 2005. Excellent helpful bunch of chaps. Got some positioning flights for practice and, yes, the sim was available for practice too, free of charge, which is a huge help for the IR. The instructor with the blue BMW was a bit of a chump but every place has one. As to the weather, yes, Leeds is some 600 feet up perched on a hill, but I don't think I had too many more problems with weather than anywhere else. ATC were most accommodating so circuits weren't an issue. Yes LFS HQ is a mobile office, it's quite big, has a kitchen, loo, classrooms, internet access, what else do you need?

Renewed my IR with Multiflight last winter, simply because it can be done in their sim. It was a thoroughly painless process with an hour's excellent instruction followed by a straightforward test.

I'd recommend either establishment, but what attracted me to LFS was the reasonable cost of the course for a lot of hours in the aircraft. The Cougar is a good aircraft, if I can pass in it, anybody can.:ok:

horsebox
9th Mar 2007, 16:40
From very recent experience I would say "buyer beware" with Leeds Flying School. The place had a good reputation, but is under new ownership. Dylan and the CFI have left and the school seems to be struggling. I started my IR with them in December and despite niggly problems in the background made good progress reaching the 40 hour mark by early February.

At that point things went downhill pretty rapidly, the main problem being lack of serviceable ME aircraft, I was unable to do any flight training for 4 weeks, it was totally unclear how they could complete my training... at which point I decided enough was enough and changed to Multiflight to complete.

Whilst I can't fault the instruction at LFS, the organisation of the school leaves alot to be desired. By contrast I have found multiflight well organised.

RITZER82
27th Mar 2007, 04:29
Hi just checked out a flight school called multiflight and apparently they are offering 0-atpl under £30,000, is this too good to br true and has anyone had any experience with this flying establishment, thanks.

Han 1st Solo
27th Mar 2007, 10:35
Don't know what the prices are but its a reputable school, certainly not likely to rip you off, I used to work for their competition at Leeds so do know several people who work there.

regards,

Han.

EGCC4284
27th Mar 2007, 12:49
I think you will do your ATPL ground school with Bristol.

bri1980
28th Mar 2007, 21:38
My Multiflight experience...so far:

I am starting training with these guys soon. I just dropped in on them without an appointment and asked one of their instructors to talk to me about the ab initio ATPL, and the modular route as well.

We talked for over an hour about the options, and how the modular route might be approached. He answered a huge number of questions and was very knowledgable: also didn't have the 'Multiflight is everything' attitude, was perfectly willing to suggest other options that could suit me.

After that we walked over to the hanger and had a look around at the aircraft.

They are also willing to accept payment for services received, rather than up-front, as they should really!

Generally I found them to be a helpful and knowledgable bunch with genuine enthusiasm.

If you are unsure if you want to train there, pick a day with bad weather (one of Leeds Bradford's unfortunate problems) and drop in for a chat. Thats what I did, and I was very pleased I did.
Hope that helps you

flan
29th Mar 2007, 09:19
I did my CPL/ME/IR with Multiflight in the summer of 2005, and I thought that they were an excellent school. You recieved an invoice at the end of every flight so you could easily keep your finances in order. It is true what others have said that Leeds weather can hold you up as it did to me, but I went into the sim and started on my IR before finishing my CPL when the weather improved:D The plus sides of LBA are that you fly straight into the airways which is good experiance and can save money, you dont have far to go to practice holds from the sim to the hold above the airfield in about 30 min, and again the weather gives you some fun when flying your ILS and single engine G/A, and you do not have to position the AC for your IR skills test.

A final point while I was at MF they had all first time passes on the CPL and IR,as they only release you for the tests when you really are ready, of the three of us who went through together I am on the B737-700 at Man one is on the B757-200 at Man and the other is on the B737-800 at Dub all happy and all owe it to great training provided by the instructors at MF.

Go to the school, meet the people if if feels that it is the right place then go and they will get the very best out of you, a great start to your career ahead.:D

Eddy
31st May 2007, 23:52
This all seems decidedly positive for MultiFlight.

I've spotted their 24,995 ZERO-ATPL course advertised here on Pprune and it really does seem too good to be true. Sure, it doesn't include accommodation in the states, but that's only likely to chuck on another couple of K.

How can MF do for so little what others charge so much for ?

F3
1st Jun 2007, 01:11
I'm at Multiflight at the moment, in the process of renewing everything after a few years away from flying.
I thoroughly recommend this FTO to anyone looking for the combination that equates to professionalism; great instruction, great organisation and a super atmosphere. :)

Eddy
1st Jun 2007, 01:16
Thnks. So you'd say that the 24.5k 0-ATPL deal is a good 'un?

m3oml
1st Jun 2007, 12:25
The price is 30K ie for flying fees etc. They advised me to budget for 40k to cover everything that the MF fees didn't.So far so good.

Eddy
1st Jun 2007, 15:12
So 70k in total? Or do you mean the 30k plus an extra 10 for whatever else ?

veetwo
1st Jun 2007, 16:34
I did a PPL with them a couple of years ago and the main issue I had with the place was that they just seemed generally disinterested in you. You would stand at the desk waiting for some attention while the 3 people on duty variously surfed the internet, went about paperwork or engaged in a long discussion with someone about car tax or something equally irrelevant. Call me old fashioned but if a customer is waiting to be served, you stop whatever it
is you are doing and attend to them first. One chap particularly has to have been the most miserable looking fella I have ever set eyes on, never smiled, never seemed enthusiastic or happy to be at work. I got depressed just being around him!

This generally added to the feeling that I wasn't really part of a flying club (and I know its an FTO and not your average grass strip affair) but the atmosphere was just a bit lacking - a bit more of a friendly approach would have been good. I got the impression they were only really after the cash.

Maybe all this will have changed by now and I suppose the best idea is just to pop in and have a chat to them.

On the positive side, I can't fault the instruction one bit. I have a CPL/IR from another establishment now and I can honestly say that my PPL instructor at MF was one of the best (if not THE best) instructor I have ever flown with, and I've flown with quite a few.

Haven't had any experience with LFS so can't comment on them. However, I do believe that they no longer offer PPL training? Good luck with your training whatever you decide!

m3oml
8th Jun 2007, 12:24
sorry, i mean £30k plus 10k for bits and bats, 40k in total

heli_port
19th May 2008, 22:36
Hi just an update to m3oml post. I have been researching FTO's and consequently gathering info. Total cost:

FLORIDA BREAKDOWN:

DEPOSIT: £3000
14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE: £13000
BALANCE ON STARTING CPL: £15950
TOTAL: £31950

BUDGET FOR £47000

TO INCLUDE:
CLASS 1 MEDICAL
CAA FLIGHT TEST
CAA EXAMINATION FEES
WRITTEN EXAMS
FLIGHTS TO AND FROM USA