PDA

View Full Version : Fast Jet Licence

link4
6th Mar 2006, 19:03
Hi

Is there any such thing as to able to obtain a licence to fly fast jets without being a fighter pilot?

VP959
6th Mar 2006, 19:16
Depending on your definition of "fast jet" then you can fly one on an ordinary PPL. Plenty of people flying ex-mil JPs and the like on a PPL.

VP

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 19:19
Wouldn't you need to be 'type-rated' and therefore need to have access to a two-seater (or at least a simulator)?
Test Pilots, however, are exempt from that requirement . . .

link4
6th Mar 2006, 19:26
By fast jet i mean a/c similar to those like torndaoes, F-15/16, but without the weapons of course!

On a PPL?.............Interesting, I have a PPL, so where wud i go from here? :confused:

tony draper
6th Mar 2006, 19:31
Well Ivan will sell you a nice little Mig 21 for a 100 grand or so.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 19:32
Maybe like motorcycle training you'd have to be FOLLOWED by an instructor?

VP959
6th Mar 2006, 19:42
The challenge isn't to get the licence, it's to get the aircraft put on a Permit to Fly. Quite a few FJs have already had this exercise completed, including the JP, the L-39, the Hunter (I think) and maybe one or two others.

As far as I know, no current FJs have gone through this process as none have come onto the market (yet). Putting a Tornado onto a Permit would be extremely challenging I suspect, plus very, very expensive indeed.

I'm pretty sure that (at least on the old brown PPL) all you needed was the appropriate rating for a complex type. I stand to be corrected, but can't recall there ever being a "jet" rating as such.

There are significant difficulties to be overcome in getting to fly a civvy registered mil A/C, but it's certainly possible if you throw enough money at it.

Personally I would only ever fly in the things if being paid to do it. Once the opportunity to fly in A/C owned by HM disappeared I turned towards more affordable flying.

VP

link4
6th Mar 2006, 19:46
I wud fly a fast jet for free just for the thrill!

Well thats true i guess, throw enough money into anything than mostly anything is possible. Just a thought though :cool:

tony draper
6th Mar 2006, 19:50
get a job in the media,those wee Hawks don't seem to be able to take off unless there is a TV presenter in the back.
:cool:

topcat450
6th Mar 2006, 21:03
Fella I met once recently got his hands on an ex-Royal Navy Harrier. Intends to display it in the US. Good luck to him, given the money we'd all do it surely? Plenty of FJs about though if you wanna fly one... Hunters are probably the quickest and closest thing to a modern FJ available in the UK.

If you don't mind travelling though, there's chap in South Effrika who will let you play in a Lightening if you buy enough shares in Shell/BP to be able to afford the fuel... or there's the chap in Mexico....

On another note, don't we have an English test as part of the PPL these days? I wud 'av thort we wood av. :}

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 21:06
it's certainly possible if you throw enough money at it.

Unless it's a Frightning . . .

wingman863
6th Mar 2006, 21:35
A hawk would do very nicely if I was in the market in about 20 years time. What kind of costs per hour (in todays prices) would you be looking at for a hawk?

Another thing is, I don't understand how it's hard to get one flying? Are there special certification tests such aircraft have to undergo individually or is it insurance which can be a prohibitive cost?

WG774
6th Mar 2006, 21:35
Maybe my memory's playing tricks, but I seem to recall that our good friend Ivan will let you have a Fishbed for a fair amount less than 100K - you could probably buy two or three for that; unfortunately operating costs would dwarf the initial outlay within a short period...

Does anyone within the UK operate a private supersonic FJ? What would be the objection to someone having one - would it be purely due to "boom" concerns, or other issues?

WG774
6th Mar 2006, 21:36
What kind of costs per hour (in todays prices) would you be looking at for a hawk?

According to a recent newspaper article, about 0.5mil GBP for half an hour... :hmm:

Loose rivets
6th Mar 2006, 21:49
That beautifully restored Lightning was only allowed to trundle down the runway...it's a #@$% good job they didn't let me have a go at that.:E