PDA

View Full Version : SAA Simulator for hire

Blah Blah Fishpaste
6th Mar 2006, 17:34
Does anybody know if you can hire the sims at SAA with their staff for a type rating?
Progression in SA is so slow, it seems this is the only way to make some ground on the rest of the world!:{

Mark J B
6th Mar 2006, 17:42
Don't know about SAA but you can buy a 737 type rating on the Comair sims. Speak to Glen Warden at Comair Ops.

4HolerPoler
6th Mar 2006, 21:19
For a rating I think Mark J B's advice is best. I've used various SAA sim's in the past for renewals - their policy fluctuates but they're generally amenable to hiring out a sim. Their last position was that you couldn't use a current employee as the sim operator/ DE - this limits your scope as you have to use a retired (from SAA) DE who still has the privileges of using the sim. Contact person is John Rogers, - [email protected]

4HP

phlop
6th Mar 2006, 21:56
Make that [email protected]

B200Drvr
7th Mar 2006, 03:16
Be carefull where you want to use that type, as they are not all recognised in countries off the continent. If you are going to work elsewhere over the ponds pay for a recognised type rating.

Deskjocky
7th Mar 2006, 06:49
As a matter of interest, how much would you pay for a type rating form either Comair and SAA? the other question is how far would this take you as surely most B737 operators would be looking for time on type not just the rating?

B200Drvr
7th Mar 2006, 07:44
Dont know about SA but Jet tech in the US do it for around $10K others like US Air and Continental(738) are around $25K, but lookout for the minimums, post 911 alot of schools require 2-3K hoursTT.

Mark J B
8th Mar 2006, 07:28
I don't know what they charge these days but it is worth chatting to the guys involved. With a 737 rating you will definitely provoke some interest from Nationwide. It will help you with other operators as well as long as your other hours are within their requirements. What is your total time and turbine time now?

There is movement at Comair with a number of guys going to Emirates so keep the CV's rolling.

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Mar 2006, 09:26
I think Comair are pretty filled up on candidates for the next year or so as they have a number on a waiting list ready to start in the next few months. No harm in continuing to bang our heads against the wall to see if we can get onto that list but no chance of actually joining for a year at least by the sound of things.:(

Blah Blah Fishpaste
11th Mar 2006, 08:14
Shot gents for the info, really helpful! My total time is just short of 6000, 3400 odd turbine but only 1000 jet, previous command time of 2400ish. I was thinking more of the 747 rating but not sure if it s really going to make a huge difference in career progress. It all stems from complete frustration of having to sacrifice all the time you spend buliding senoirity and finances, only to have to toss it all away and wait another 5 years plus for command of anything decent. Or got to nationwide and work for peanuts and a dictator. Not so keen....time on type is what its about but at what price???:suspect:

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Mar 2006, 08:38
In the same boat, Mr Fishpaste. Emirates and a couple of the other majors don't want to know you without jet time....:(

Anti-Skid Inop
12th Mar 2006, 16:16
Just a thought on your comment Mr. Fish. Working for "peanuts and a dictator" might just buy you your valuable jet time for Emirates. Sometimes a simple sacrifice that you make might set you up for a very rewarding future.

I think beggars can't be choosers in these situations!!!

Jelly Doughnut
12th Mar 2006, 18:34
Anti-Skid Inop hit the nail on the head! Nationwide and also Interair are excellent stepping stones if '1000 hrs jet' is what's needed for the next step.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Mar 2006, 18:44
First problem is just getting into an airline where the opportunities to fly jets are available.

Second problem is that NW salary scales are more suited to those with a brand new CPL, living at Dad's Hotel rent free and not those who have families and other expenses.

The others are definitely better than NW but a lot more tricky to get in to. SAA for obvious reasons but 1Time and Comair crews are happy where they are so no real movement from them, thus slow to nonexistent recruitment at the moment.

Just got to keep running into the wall, I guess...:hmm: Eventually it has to give way.

Mark J B
13th Mar 2006, 05:54
Don't give up. Definitely movement at Comair to Emirates and SAA. There is an existing short list but new interviews are bound to follow shortly after they start drawing from the list.

Anti-Skid Inop
13th Mar 2006, 18:03
S.R.T.

You mention that the first problem is the lack of jobs flying jets in SA. Surely then in this situation, you would grab a chance of flying some heavy tin no matter what they pay you. If you really wanted to advance in your career, some foresight would be needed and the short term lack of money would be the sacrifice you would have to make.

I'm not saying that the salaries you would earn at NW are justified, but it's all about supply and demand - at the moment the supply of pilots wanting a jet job is much greater than the demand. I still maintain that you reap what you sow i.e. the sacrifices you make now will reap the rewards later.

I hope things work out for you guy's and like you say, eventually the wall will break!!!!:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Mar 2006, 03:53
Already applied there, mate. Got told they're not taking folks at the moment as they're pretty full. Doesn't look like the three CAA guys helped the situation so back where we started.

Blah Blah Fishpaste
15th Mar 2006, 05:38
Its all good gen guys but unfortunately not new gen as we have all sacrificed several times already to get where we are now. Im just not prepared anymore to have to down grade my house and my sons schooling just to fly a fluffy or DC9. Its a shame that it works like that here but the wheel is turning, the demand supply thing is changing fast!:ok: