PDA

View Full Version : Breast feeding in public

CherokeeDriver
6th Mar 2006, 14:36
CD Junior is almost with us, and Mrs CD and I have been attending National Childbirth Trust (NCT) classes. A lot of very useful information including a discussion on breast feeding in public.
There is no doubt about the advantages of breast feeding a baby and keeping it going as long as you are able, but how do fellow Ppruners feel about a women breast feeding a child in a public place i.e. in a restuarant?
The group we were in at NCT had mixed opinions.:confused:

oldbeefer
6th Mar 2006, 14:44
Very natural thing to do, some will say, but so is [email protected]@ing and not many people do that in public!

goshdarnit
6th Mar 2006, 14:46
If it needs to be done, it needs to be done - those wee ones don't stand on ceremony, and a wailing child will get more attention that a quietly feeding one.
If it can be achieved discreetly then all the better, but I don't think mum's should be forced to go hide in a back-room (or the loo or something silly).

acbus1
6th Mar 2006, 14:52
I'm quite amenable, provided.....

1 - They are a nice pair

and/or

2 - I can have a go.

lexxity
6th Mar 2006, 14:53
Right, pet topic of mine this. As a currently breastfeeding mum I find it easier to find a quiet room away from lots of noise to feed my little baba because he is not happy in noisy places and is incurabley nosey too. However I think as long as you are discreet then feeding in public is fine, what annoys me are the "wap yer tits out brigade". Miltant mothers I call them, they make life harder for the rest of us. Your partener will get looks & comments, but amazingly it is the younger women who I have found look down their noses at you. I have fed my baba in many restaurants and have never had any problems, usually the only problem I have had is staff coming over to coo at him.:O

Remember, only do what Mrs CD feels happy with, please tell her not to be afraid to ask for advice, she is going to need it if she chooses to feed Jr. herself, there are lots of helplines and people (NCT, midwives, health visitor), and the baby clinic out there to guide her. I was regularly at the baby clinic asking for advice and guidance and it's the best thing to do, I am still feeding my five month old and I was ready to give in during the first six weeks.Having said that don't let anyone intefere in your/her choices.

Most of all GOOD LUCK and keep us updated. :ok:

djk
6th Mar 2006, 14:57
It really depends on the area. If you're discreet about it, especially in this day and age no one really bats an eye. Obviously if you and Mrs CD feel comfortable about it then there shouldn't be a problem.
Although with a restaurant, you might have to ask the manager about their policy if they have a seperate room where a mother can feed her baby in private then all the better.
If in doubt, always carry a bottle of breast milk (just in case)
Not sure what the cost of breast pumps are over in the UK, here they range from $30 to something like $250

lexxity
6th Mar 2006, 14:59
If in doubt, always carry a bottle of breast milk (just in case)

If your baby will take a bottle. Plus the hassle of having to express everytime you want to go out will do Mrs CD's head in.

phoenix son
6th Mar 2006, 14:59
Mrs P is very definite on her views regarding this subject, and, to be fair, I agree with her...As she quite rightly says, if you pass a field with baby lambs/calves etc suckling, nobody would be disgusted, so what's the difference? It's natural, it necessary,and, most importantly, it's convenient...With our second arrival now 7 weeks old, this is something that is not lost on either of us...

In a nutshell, just get on with it, if anyone pulls a face, likely it's THEM that has the problem...

Farmer 1
6th Mar 2006, 15:00
Why does it always seem to be women who complain about this?

Light blue touch paper...

djk
6th Mar 2006, 15:03
Why does it always seem to be women who complain about this?
Light blue touch paper...

Because it's usually their own husband or boyfriend that's gawking at the woman breastfeeding :D

Rushton
6th Mar 2006, 15:04
I got complaints from a woman too when i was breast feeding - dya think it was coz i'm male:}

airship
6th Mar 2006, 15:05
I believe, that breast-feeding an infant in a public place such as a restaurant would be considered a welcome distraction by most people. It's best for the child and a reminder to us all that we too, are creatures merely a step away from Doe (a female deer).

But if I may be so bold, I would encourage this sort of behaviour in all human females of child-bearing age even when not necessarily suckling an infant. Such 'pre-maternal' behaviour once accepted, would render any future debate concerning breast-feeding in public quite superfluous IMHO... :O

Docfly
6th Mar 2006, 15:10
The people who have a problem are those who regard the breast as a sexual organ. It is not it is for feeding, it is a wonderful natural process and should not be regarded in any other way.

airship
6th Mar 2006, 15:15
Surely, an infant at very least, should be permitted to play with its' food, even in this day and age...?!

Flap Sup
6th Mar 2006, 15:16
Phoenix Son,

You may be right about nobody getting disgusted when watching animals feed their offspring. Only few would be upset if they saw animals mating, however many would be somewhat upset if Ms Sup-to-be and Flap Sup himself stated making babies in a public place (upset, and just a little bit envious).

/fs

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 15:19
I COULD say that I'm fascinated by breasts (and that would be true - probably dates back to being breastfed), but, I dissociate my 'desires' whenever I see a mother breastfeeding. I cannot explain WHY. I believe strongly that all mothers should be free to breast-feed wherever and whenever they wish/need. To me it's as natural as shovelling pureed vegetables into toddlers. Who would object to that? Much better than a sausage roll (typical Tyneside comforter). Those (especially women) who object to breast-feeding (in public) are, in my opinion suffering from some sort of complex.
There! Possibly the most contentious and possibly inflamatory remark that I've made (seriously) on Proone. I just don't understand the problem . . .

PS I also find the sight of a heavily pregnant woman 'delightful' in a totally asexual manner. I think it's my protective nature, and a desire to protect young children (that also fascinate me) and those who are producing them.

djk
6th Mar 2006, 15:23
There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding a baby.
The only time it's ever creeped me out was when I was on a flight and the child was at an age where it was talking and could loudly be heard expressing its preference as to which breast it wanted to feed from.

airship
6th Mar 2006, 15:28
But G-CPTN, you didn't address this particular response: The people who have a problem are those who regard the breast as a sexual organ. It is not it is for feeding, it is a wonderful natural process and should not be regarded in any other way. I offer the following compromise:

That suckling infants be permitted to toy with their food, whilst adults merely play...?! ;)

frostbite
6th Mar 2006, 15:54
Ellie Lane:

"Tits are like train sets - they're intended for the children, but it's always the dads end up playing with them."

Cabingirl
6th Mar 2006, 16:07
i think its a perfectly natural thing for a women to do. i cant see the problem people have with it, if a baby needs feeding it needs feeding! breast feeding is always ready where ever you are. i would defently breat feed.

MikeJeff
6th Mar 2006, 16:37
"Mmmm BITTY" :}

jammydonut
6th Mar 2006, 16:46
Has it ever been done on the Flightdeck:p :yuk:

Mac the Knife
6th Mar 2006, 17:19
Why not? And lots of reasons why!

Just don't make a big thing about it - it is possible to be reasonably discreet.

What annoys people are mums who haul out a large, blue-veined milk-dripping tit as obviously as possible while glaring about them looking for someone to object :* :* :*

All my known offspring were breast-fed for ages, which possibly accounts for their so-far robust good-health.

:ok:

tart1
6th Mar 2006, 17:33
I agree with all the points about it being the best for baby and a totally natural thing to do. I breastfed both of mine and it was fantastic...........really convenient, no bottles or sterilising, always the right temperature, always available, a great way to keep the baby quiet, massive health benefits, etc, etc.

In a restaurant, if there is not a quiet room or area for a nursing mother, then it is possible to do it discreetly, using a shawl or a cardigan to keep covered up. I think it is dreadful when mothers are expected to use the ladies loo to feed their babies. How would some of the objectors like it if they were told they had to eat their meal in the loo, which is what they are asking the baby to do. Also, how would they like to hear the sound of a crying baby all through their meal because the mother was unable to breastfeed in the restaurant.

I think that beyond a certain age, it does become somewhat unacceptable for a child to be breastfed in public but by that time, the child is usually on solid food and drinks from a cup, so it is not as important to feed on demand.

Unless (as mentioned) it's 'bitty' of course!! :E :E

airship
6th Mar 2006, 17:37
In a restaurant context, does having been breast-fed mean never having to ask about what's for dessert? :confused:

RatherBeFlying
6th Mar 2006, 17:57
The Masters RBF were breastfed by their Mum until two or so when and wherever required.

Never heard, or heard of, an adverse comment from any member of the public.

Perhaps those who object are envious -- others are just stuck up.

As far as getting a peek at an errant nipple is concerned, the only thing on view is the back of a contented baby's head.

While the insecure may want a shawl, a loose blouse is all that's really needed.

Daysleeper
6th Mar 2006, 18:20
Mrs Daysleeper breastfed and the only time there was an issue was when she had a bunch of scowls and comments by some Americans....Funny thing really, she was sitting in this museum in Copenhagen drinking Tuborg with mini daysleeper latched onto the tit, chatting to her cousin, they were speaking Dansk so I guess the yanks assumed she wouldn't understand them.
Actually maybe their problem was more with the drinking lager and breastfeeding at the same time. :eek: Anyhow sod them and their wierdo views.

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 18:26
Had a similar experience with Americans many years ago (45) in Heidelberg, assumed we were Germans and expressed their criticisms of us as we walked along the street. I forget what we weren't doing (probably didn't get off the pavement as they approached!).
Couldn't blame the French that time . . .

Actually maybe their problem was more with the drinking lager and breastfeeding at the same time. Nej for Soren! Er den ikke tilladt?

Mac the Knife
6th Mar 2006, 18:43
For all their noise, a lot of Americans are very shy of body stuff when it all comes down to it. It still makes 'em nervous, despite Larry Flynt.

Witness all nervously puritanic laws, the old Production (Hays) Code for the movies, all the peculiar euphemisms and the monstrous hoop-la about Janet Jackson's quite unremarkable boob flash.

(o)(o) :ok:

Huck
6th Mar 2006, 19:10
My (american) kids were all breastfed, for at least a year, sometimes more.

My wife had a bunch of nursing shirts with these overlapping flaps. She could do it anywhere and nobody knew.

It's wonderful for the husband, when the youngun woke up hungry at 2 am I can't do nothin', other than roll over and offer my verbal support to the wife..... "Good job, honey!"

tall and tasty
6th Mar 2006, 19:20
There is no doubt about the advantages of breast feeding a baby and keeping it going as long as you are able, but how do fellow Ppruners feel about a women breast feeding a child in a public place i.e. in a restuarant?I breast fed mine both and for over the 2 years recommended because we have a vast array of allergies in the family and was advised not to introduce cows/goats or sheeps milk into their diets too early. by doing so where my brothers and their children all have the family allergies my sister and I who breast fed for as long as possible have allergy free children (well at the moment) so yes there is a good advantage to doing it.

In public, no problem being descrete. To be honest you are having a meal and just because the little ones meal is milk it does not mean he has to have it out of a bottle. My youngest would rather starve all day then take expressed out of a bottle and he fough long and hard for weeks to stay away from one of those horrid plastic tasting things. To be honest even the ones that claim to be natural did not do the trick with him.

But don't let anyone put your wife off trying to do it either. A little shawel or baggy item of clothing covers said little one and all you see is a set of legs going 100 to the dozen as they feed.

Most parents I have spoken to were never upset about seeing anyone breast feed it is normally the non parents in this world who have an opinion on the matter

TnT

allan907
7th Mar 2006, 00:33
Breast feeding in public is totally brilliant and should be done more often. Ladies, just don't mind old perves like me sneaking the odd lascivious glance at your mammaries - you go right ahead:E :ok:

185skywagon
7th Mar 2006, 02:05
My wife successfully breastfed our second son. She always managed to be quite discreet.
Contrary to perception of some blokes, not all, if any females consider the act of breastfeeding a sexual turn-on for passers-by.
Ladies, just don't mind old perves like me sneaking the odd lascivious glance at your mammaries - you go right ahead
however, comments such as these generally would get her quite livid.
Try your luck in a room full of nursing mothers. You would indeed be a brave man to try what you say. :ouch:

Richo77
7th Mar 2006, 02:36
Whilst waiting for a pregnancy checkup on Richo Jnr, Mrs R and i were reading the waiting room literature and found the top 10 tips on Breastfeeding in a magazine. The only 3 i can remember were (and i quote).

1. Remove any or all nipple jewellery (i had to reread it to make sure it said it!)
2. A chilled cabbage leaf placed in the bra will quickly soothe breast and nipple tenderness (always got a handy supply of those on hand).

And point 3 which i couldnt agree with more...

Breastfeeding is essential to the baby, if it happens to be in public, try to be discreet as some are offended, but if someone pointedly complains and says "YUCK!" squirt em in the eye!

(Mrs R had amazing accuracy with that, used to hit me from across the room).

PA-28-180
7th Mar 2006, 04:20
My wife breastfed both of our little rug rats...inside the house and out. Breastfeeding is the MOST natural thing in the world. C'mon guys (and gals)...that's what breasts are FOR! :) There is absolutely NOTHING sexual about a women who is breast feeding.
Someone posted a quote...here's another, though I do not know who it is from:
"Breasts are for babies. Legs (enter hips you you like) are for MEN!" :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
7th Mar 2006, 04:41
How would some of the objectors like it if they were told they had to eat their meal in the loo?I guess you haven't seen our staff canteen then :(

allan907
7th Mar 2006, 06:14
185Skywagon You must be American?? Seemed to have missed the irony in my last post!

Irony The expression of meaning using language that normally expresses the opposite; esp. the humorous or sarcastic use of praise to imply condemnation or contempt

Humour A quality of action, speech, etc., which causes amusement; facetiousness, comicality; (more fully sense of humour) the faculty of perceiving and enjoying what is ludicrous or amusing; a sense of the ludicrous or amusing

Purely for the benefit of the cousins.

angels
7th Mar 2006, 08:10
allan - Instead of providing dictionary definitions of irony, I would learn how to use it in an effective and humorous manner -- something totally lacking in your post.

Oh, and after a quick glimpse at the profiles Skywagon seems to be working down your manor and not in the U.S.....Ironic eh?

Back to the thread. I've said it before, but to me the perfect illustration of love is a woman suckling her child. As others have said, there is nothing more natural and in 99.9 percent of cases its all very discreet anyway.

CherokeeDriver - Congratulations on your first! I think you can get the drift of the way the thread has gone. Go right ahead, breast feeding is the best start in life a baby can get. Did you know that cholestrum (sp?), the early milk provided by the breast, can still be found lining and protecting the gut of 80-year olds?

Edited to get rid of horrendous Freudian error 'sucking her child??!!' Jeez.

MagnusP
7th Mar 2006, 08:45
I have no objection to women breastfeeding their babies in public; it's reassuring to know that there are still a few who *do* actually breastfeed!

I remember one evening when my wife was feeding Emily, my Australian mate Pud walked past, commenting "Jeez, Emily, if you blow that thing up any further it'll bloody explode".

185skywagon
7th Mar 2006, 23:20
185Skywagon You must be American?? Seemed to have missed the irony in my last post!
Irony The expression of meaning using language that normally expresses the opposite; esp. the humorous or sarcastic use of praise to imply condemnation or contempt
Humour A quality of action, speech, etc., which causes amusement; facetiousness, comicality; (more fully sense of humour) the faculty of perceiving and enjoying what is ludicrous or amusing; a sense of the ludicrous or amusing
Purely for the benefit of the cousins.
Not American. Aus like you.
Ironic or not, I dare you to say that to my wife. Or yours for that matter.:ok:

Bahn-Jeaux
8th Mar 2006, 00:09
i think its a perfectly natural thing for a women to do

So is going for a pee and pooh in both sexes but society deems it necessary for this to be performed in segregated and isolated cubicles.

I dont have a problem with breast feeding but I do have a problem with the feminist element who think it is a god given right to flaunt this ability whenever and wherever they see fit and to hell with the rest of the world.

Perhaps it is society in general that is at fault by making natural human responses and functions something to be hidden and reviled.
In primitive societies, nobody bats an eyelid at this sort of behaviour but in our so called civilized society, shock horror...

Rant over, bedtime....night all.

G-CPTN
8th Mar 2006, 00:12
We're talking about FEEDING here! We don't require adults to eat in private, so why should babies?

Perhaps it is society in general that is at fault by making natural human responses and functions something to be hidden and reviled.
In Denmark it is deemed impolite to blow one's nose in public (yet OK to sniff).

ShyTorque
8th Mar 2006, 00:40
As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue for those not embarrassed by their own repressed upbringing.

How can it be acceptable for a woman to be allowed to flaunt them on page three of a public newspaper but not to use them for the purpose for which they were designed?

Makes no sense to me but it seems that these days some folk go out of their way to be offended.

Ozzy
8th Mar 2006, 00:59
I'm all for breast feeding in public. Just don't get upset if we watch :E:E I mean, if it's perfectly natural, what is there to complain about. Right?

Ozzy

allan907
8th Mar 2006, 01:57
Careful Ozzy! 185skywagon might get all huffy on you:eek:

185skywagon
8th Mar 2006, 05:28
Careful Ozzy! 185skywagon might get all huffy on you:eek:
whatever.:bored:

Avtrician
8th Mar 2006, 06:17
I find nothing wrong with breast feeding in public. If the mum is comfortable doing so, then the baby will be happy as well. Those that raise a fuss over such actions need taking out the back, and their attitudes adjusted (very tenuous aircraft link there), unfortunately that is no longer permitted.

Wyler
8th Mar 2006, 09:05
Was in Germany in 1987 on a course. Stayed in a Hotel and we all made use of the Spa facilities. One day we were in the pool and there was a German lady breast feeding her kiddy, and she was starkers! The only problem was the presence of 12 gawking Brits (me included). It was very natural and, after the first shock, totally normal. Nobody else even seemed to notice. We Brits are too 'proper' over these matters.:O
Now, if someones dog takes a dump on my lawn...grrrrrrrrrr:*

batninth
8th Mar 2006, 09:33
My wife breastfed both of our lads mainly because she wanted to and also for allergy reasons. She said that being able to do so was immensely fulfilling for her as a mother, knowing that she was doing the best for her "babies".

I expect that many mothers feel the same way and I wonder who we are to consider denying mothers that feeling?

Paterbrat
8th Mar 2006, 09:52
So in summary it's quite OK. Anybody who disagrees should be told to kindly take their repressed opinions elsewhere.:ok:

Avtrician
8th Mar 2006, 10:42
Mr brat,
Can only half agree with you, The [email protected] should be told to **** off n go some where else if they dont like it. To bad these folk werent sorted out when their parents were playing in the shallow end of the gene pool.:E

Paterbrat
8th Mar 2006, 10:46
But maam, that appears to be a whole hearted sponsership of my breast to the fore position.:confused:

tall and tasty
8th Mar 2006, 10:52
Anybody who disagrees should be told to kindly take their repressed opinions elsewhere.exactly and I know my son who loved being breast fed will grow up with a healthy attitude to "boogies" as he calls them!

TnT:p

Paterbrat
8th Mar 2006, 11:00
My only qualm being the age at which sons should remain sipping from natures jug.

Those carrying on catering to the age of eight and nine year olds are, in my humble opinion, running the risk of influencing their offsprings particular sexual inclinations in certain directions. This of course being entirely the offsprings own business and generaly being caried out in private or catered to by select groups of enterpreneurial (?sp) woman in a particular condition.

RatherBeFlying
8th Mar 2006, 12:05
The Bushmen, for one case of an aboriginal culture, breastfed their children to the age of 6. It was a form of family planning as lactation coupled with low nutrition suppressed ovulation -- dare I mention PMS:ouch:

Until recently, women had a fraction of the periods urban women have today since a half dozen or so pregnancies plus breastfeeding some years for each one cut the number down significantly.

There is speculation the increased number of periods over a woman's lifetime increases her risk of a number of cancers. And it should also be noted that breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer:ok:

Paterbrat
8th Mar 2006, 15:22
Have heard it told that continuation of breastfeeding inhibits ovulation and therefore helps prevent continued production of offspring. In the Hottentots case in the absence of artificial contraception a chance to go for a time without unneccesary handicap of multiple small children.

learboys
8th Mar 2006, 15:57
I have 2 girls, who now are not babies no more but they were 24/7 on them breasts, I noticed alot of folks would look but my ex wife would always throw a towl over her side when she was feeding, and I'm sure all will agree if you out and about having dinner the last thing you want to hear screaming next to you is a crying baby who is hungry. These days its nice to see places are starting to cater for mums who are feeding and have rooms available.
Its natural there should be no shame in that and if they want to get a thrill out of it watching, good luck to them sicko's.