PDA

View Full Version : Move to Africa?

moyo
6th Mar 2006, 12:29
Hello,

First off let me mention that I have actively searched these forums for a while now...on to my questions.

I am a Canadian pilot looking to go to Tanzania (I have sponsorship) to fly. By the time I get there (hoping by December) I will have over 500TT my questions are:

1. What license conversions I will need to convert my comm/multi/IFR
2. What will the cost be (roughly) and where do I do this
3. If my job falls through will I be able to find another flying job

I think this would be an amazing experience and I would love to live there. All answers are appreciated. PM if you want. Thanks!

moyo
9th Mar 2006, 11:34
is this not the african forum??? hello out there :D

oneeyed
10th Mar 2006, 08:32
Unable to answer your questions 1. - 3. as regulations and charges differ greatly from country to country - be more specific and surely someone here will give you the info you require.

Good Luck anyway:ok:

surely not
10th Mar 2006, 11:12
Africa is a very big continent and opportunities for employment vary greatly from one country to another, as do the requirements of local CAA's. As one eyed said more info needed for people to give meaningful info.

moyo
10th Mar 2006, 11:49
Sorry...let me clarify.

I am looking in dar es salaam, or anywhere in Tanzania. Or Kenya (although I know that it is harder for a lowtimer to get work there).

Soap Box Cowboy
10th Mar 2006, 17:02
To convert your liscence you will need to go to the TCAA office in Dar with your log book and liscence. it helps to have your log book certified before you go there.

If you have a valid ICAO liscence you will need to do the conversion exam which consists of Tanzanian air law and east african weather. Best to chat to some of the recent converts it's been a while since I did it and some things have changed. You will also need to write a type rating exam. Rating exams are required for all aircraft and one is usually needed in order to get your liscence. You will also need to fly six hours on a TZ aircraft in order to get your liscence. I recomend doing the 206 TTR.

IFR is only permited in Twins with the exception of the 208 and PC-12. You will need to to the full IR test in order to get that and it's not worth it unless you will be flying a twin or big turbine. Most companies if you are working for them will help you with this.

As far as costs go that all depends on how much your sponsor will help you.

Housing in Dar can get expensive but it all depends on what you are looking for, talk to some guys out there and you will get an idea of what your looking at. You can stay at a descent guest house in down town for something like 300 dollars per month.

With 500 hours you should be pretty marketable for the low end jobs ie 206 or Seneca.

Good luck :ok:

moyo
10th Mar 2006, 17:28
Thanks! How about my timing. Heading there in December...is that when the hiring starts for the season?

bertos70
13th Mar 2006, 04:09
Hi everyone, sorry for bother u all.
I have 650 hours tt (280 of all in turboprop caravans and twin otter).I was going to move to Tanzania to look for job at the beginning of may.I understood that the recruitment time is Dec/gen...but is there any possibility to find a job in May or it is almost impossible?U know...I'm getting older and older :suspect: and my bank account is so piss off at me:mad: running after a plane (in eight years I've been to Australia, Taiwan, New guinnie, Kenya, Spain, Belize, Brunei with almost no result) that I really need a suggest from somebody who's working there or worked there before :D .Thanks for your help!