PDA

View Full Version : BT phone over CAT5 network

Daysleeper
6th Mar 2006, 09:12
I'm going round in circles at the moment.
I'm wiring up a home network, I have a normal BT master socket. I have a patch panel wired with cat5e cable to distibute my network around the house.
I know I need an adaptor to connect a BT male plug with an RJ-45 Female socket so I can then move the live phone line around the patch panel as needed. But I cannot work out whether the adaptor needs to be a Full Master Socket with line protection, PABX Master Socket w/o line protection or PABX Slave Socket only. And then at the other end I need an unadaptor to go back from RJ45 to BT. :{ It is sending me slowly mad.

shuttlebus
6th Mar 2006, 12:54
Daysleeper,

Looks like a big no-no.

Check out the pagr from Maplin Electronics. The Q&A section seems quire explicit on the matter.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30150&criteria=Modular%20Wall%20Accessories&doy=6m3

Regards,

Shuttlebus

Land After
6th Mar 2006, 14:31
And even Maplin sell the bits:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=22940&&source=14&doy=search

CAT5 is just wire are the end of the day, and you only need wire for a telephone system. You should be able to feed the phone into one end of your cabling system, patch it through at the panel, then get the output at the appropriatye socket. Take the output from your master socket.

Lost_luggage34
6th Mar 2006, 15:24
Yes, of course you can do it - virtually all telephone installations in an office environment are done this way, albeit on a larger scale.

Questions to ask ;

1. Is it a bog-standard POTS telephone ? I.e. plain old telephone that can plug straight into a regular BT style socket ?

More than likely YES.

2. Have you got ADSL broadband ?

If so, some thought into where the filter needs to reside will be required.

3. Is your Cat5e cabling fully tested with standard pin-outs ?

The adapters you can purchase are basically intended for 'phone service running over CAT5 from a PABX and associated central patching.

Since you intend to take the 'phone output from the BT Master socket (from the consumer side) you don't need another Master type socket in the setup.

You need an RJ45 to Secondary Socket adapter for the remote RJ45 socket - this is a passive adapter.

There are a number of options for the BT socket end - personally I would be tempted to run a short length of Cat5e from the master socket extension Krone block (if it's of the modern type with the detachable panel) to your own patch panel.

Most important thing it to keep the conductors in parallel - I.e. Pin 2 from the BT socket appears as Pin 2 at the remote end etc etc.

Hope that is of some help.

Daysleeper
6th Mar 2006, 15:41
Hi Can Cat5 ethernet cabling be used for telephone extension cabling? - Colin
A) No, this cannot be used for that purpose.

Well I don't trust maplins judgement, I know several other people who use data networks for voice I'm just trying to sort out wheter I need a "master" or "slave" adaptor.

shuttlebus
6th Mar 2006, 16:25
Daysleeper,

I agree - walked down to the comms cabinet in the office this afternoon and guess what, IT and phones in the same patch panel.

So much for Maplin... maybe they are trying to protect their revenue?

Seems all you need a converter.... (and LL34 seems to have it covered)

Regards,

Shuttlebus