PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire 70

ID90
5th Mar 2006, 21:30
:D Have just returned from watching the 'Spitfire 70' celebrations at Southampton Airport. 5 Spits, complete with friendly pilots, happy to spend much of their time talking to the surrounding crowd. Star of the show was 93 year-old Alex Henshaw - a true Gent and a delight to talk to. Hope I am doing as well as he is when I am 93! Only downside is that I missed the TV coverage - was it good?

seafuryfan
5th Mar 2006, 22:30
ID90, apparently BBC News24 covered the event on and off throughout the day, including at 4.30 the take-off of Alex Henshaw aboard the 2 seater.

I saw a 5 minute item on the 9.00 half-hour news. Pity it came behind the sport, BUT the snippets of the interview with Alex were excellent and there was some great air-to-air footage of the 5 ship taken from a BBC helicopter. The 2 seater with Alex aboard was at the front :)

Well done to all involved!

BEagle
6th Mar 2006, 05:56
I understand that there will be a more comprehensive piece on 'South Today' at 1830.

For those outside the BBC South region, you can see it on Sky Digital Channel 984.

airborne_artist
6th Mar 2006, 06:19
I understand that there will be a more comprehensive piece on 'South Today' at 1830.

For those outside the BBC South region, you can see it on Sky Digital Channel 984.

And there's due to be more in the South regional programme 'Inside Out' at 1930 on Monday 6th.

Sedbergh
6th Mar 2006, 08:05
There'll never be another presentation like de Cadenets' "F**k me!" one for the Spitfire's 60th anniversary!
I've still got it on my computer, and every time I need cheering up.... :p

Saab Dastard
6th Mar 2006, 23:29
Sedbergh, I second that :ok:

I saw several programs on Discovery Wings about the Spit - all featuring both Ray and Mark Hanna. Very sad that both are gone.

Who would have thought that Alex Henshaw would outlive both of them!

kevmusic
6th Mar 2006, 23:58
Nice feature at 19.05 yesterday (Sunday) - an old documentary made in '76, presented by Raymond Baxter & featuring Bader, Tuck & 'Johnny' Johnson. Golddust! :D

Kev

gruntie
7th Mar 2006, 14:31
Completely agree about the BBC coverage. The peurile, witless and simply uninformed commentary was simply appalling.

Dop
7th Mar 2006, 15:28
I agree, the BBC's coverage was painfully shambolic. At one point I was yelling at the TV "Shut the frack up about the sound of the engines and LET US HEAR THEM!"

pulse1
7th Mar 2006, 15:47
At least the BBC spelt Alex Henshaw's name properly which is more than Meridian did.

I once read a profile of Alex Henshaw and understand that he was quite outspoken and suffered fools badly. On South Today he said that he was sad because he thought that most of the young men who had willingly given their lives in Spitfires would "think that they had been betrayed if they came back to the towns and villages of today" He obviously hasn't changed.

BEagle
7th Mar 2006, 17:38
And I'm quite astonished that none of the meeja luvvies mentioned Alex's Cape Town record breaking flights in the Mew Gull!

Which still stand unbroken today!

Duxford_Eagles
7th Mar 2006, 20:54
If they could have Alex Henshaw in the air, why couldn't they bring back ex-Spitfire pilot Raymond Baxter to commentate for the day!:ok:Raymond Baxter was busy elsewhere. He was the guest of honour at TFC's open evening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Aeroplanepix/Duxford_05_March_2006/_K9V4899.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Aeroplanepix/Duxford_05_March_2006/_K9V4907.jpg

Here's Carolyn Grace marking the occasion at Duxford.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Aeroplanepix/Duxford_05_March_2006/_K9V4595a.jpg

Rob

ID90
7th Mar 2006, 21:26
Actually Beagle, I did see BBC man talking about Alex's Cape Town record on camera.
The filming went on for quite some time, so I guess it must have been edited out...

Wycombe
7th Mar 2006, 21:56
The BBC air-to-air of the 5 Spit formation was quite good (guess he must have been positioned in the middle of the route, as stayed with them for a long time). The reporting from the ground at SOU by the reporter (Robert Hall, I think) was absolute rubbish.

Chris Packham covered it much better on "Inside Out" (shown on BBC South Monday evening).