PDA

View Full Version : Seaborne Airlines

DHC8-FO
5th Mar 2006, 18:54
Does anyone know anything about seaborne airlines, the otter float operator down in the islands? have done a search and come up with nothing. just wondering about the usual things, pay, locations, working conditions, etc. any help would be much appreciated.

chia
6th Mar 2006, 03:13
Well i have ridden on them a couple of times, San Juan to St. Thomas to St Croix. They fly out of Old San Juan harbor, San Juan P.R. not far from the cruise ship terminal. Their maintenance hangar and home base is downtown Christensted in St Croix. They hired quite a few people last year. The pilots wear shorts and open collar shirts. At each stop the ground crews would load and unload the aircraft. Seems like they fly around 1500 feet altitude. The Twin Otters seemed in good shape and maintained. St Croix is not a large Island, and very laid back. Food is more expensive there. If one wanted to acquire MES time i would think it would be a pretty good place to work. I think the captains make around 55,000- maybe 60,000. Seems like one needs 500 twin Otter float time to be promoted to Captain. They are a Part 121 carrier.
I would think the main concern would be housing. They drive on the wrong side of the road by the way, drunk driving laws are non existant and not enforced, but not wearing a seatbelt is. A lot of scuba diving, very few ski-doo's, and quite a few sailboats. The water is very clear and warm. The cruise ships all go in to St Thomas and not St croix.

DHC8-FO
6th Mar 2006, 13:06
thanks for the reply. i actually got in touch with an old co-worker of mine yesterday, and found out he was currently flying for seaborne, but is now on furlough. expects the operation to be back at full swing by the summer time. i guess it pays to keep in touch with your old flying buddies.

Cruiseclimb
9th Mar 2006, 14:26
Is it possible to work for them without much float time?

chia
9th Mar 2006, 23:22
You might look on their website and then contact them.
It seems in this aviation business it all depends on the availability of qualified people.

DHC8-FO
9th Mar 2006, 23:49
You dont have to have any float time, just show up to class with the mel-sea rating. That is coming from my buddy who is furloughed from seaborne, so i figure it is pretty accurate.

Honda600
15th Mar 2006, 01:25
Hi,
Seaborne will interview few guy this coming few weeks. There are 2 classes, April and June. Each class trains 4 pilots. Is there someone going to interview with them?

Honda600

cochise
15th Mar 2006, 19:46
Caribbean Sun is hiring for the DHC-8 100 out of San Juan. Not sure if you're interested...

cavortingcheetah
16th Mar 2006, 09:47
:)

cochise.
Sent you a PM today, 16th March. Not sure of old fumble fingers here got it right. No news means you received it. Many thanks. cc

DHC8-FO
16th Mar 2006, 18:24
Honda600,

How do you know they are interviewing this week? Like I said, I have a buddy currently on furlough from there, seems odd for them to be interviewing.

B Sousa
16th Mar 2006, 22:54
www.seaborneairlines.com
Have a current Pilot contact there. PM if you wish to speak to him.
Please do so with a real name etc. Makes it a bit easier......
I work out of St Thomas seasonally.

Fabrizio
28th Mar 2006, 08:26
Caribbean Sun is hiring for the DHC-8 100 out of San Juan. Not sure if you're interested...

Hi, can I have more info about this company? I was flying for a skydiving company and logged twin - otter time.

Thanks

B Sousa
28th Mar 2006, 13:14
"drunk driving laws are non existant and not enforced, but not wearing a seatbelt is."
And another money maker that just went into law is Cell Phones while driving, its now a no-no..Seatbelts also, its an easy ticket for the morons in uniform.
As to drunk driving, pretty close unless you are in an accident or are DWW.

As to the above on Caribbean Sun, heres the site: http://www.flycsa.com/