PDA

View Full Version : Playing the "Buying a new car game"

Jerricho
5th Mar 2006, 18:17
Well, I'm thinking about getting rid of my beloved Scoobie after I got stuck in the snow AGAIN yesterday. I have one or two vehicles in mind and was wondering, with the wealth of experience, knowledge and wit out there, what are some sure fire ways to screw them car dealer types. Or perhaps some stories of success people have had.

The things I've got in my favour is that there aren't many of WRXs in town, I'm probably going to buy through the same group that we purchased both our cars new through. I've thought about selling my car privately, but the way the tax system works here, I can get almost the same on trade for it.

Go for it.

(I may be asking later for what people think about my new choice of vehicle......but that can wait)

Saintsman
5th Mar 2006, 18:32
If you really want to screw them, go into the dealer, wave a wad of cash in front of them and then tell them your going somewhere else because they won't give you a decent deal.

Gingerbread Man
5th Mar 2006, 18:48
Are you considering the, dare I say it, SUV end of things? Seeing as we're talking about getting stuck in snow. I would suggest a Land Rover, but i've a feeling that they have a reputation for unrealiability - this may be unfounded though. What about a japanese type 4x4?
If you don't want an SUV, but you don't want an Impreza any more, it's simple - buy an Evo :) .

Ginger ;)

Rick Storm
5th Mar 2006, 18:50
Oh plzz God NO!!!!!!! Not another 4x4 on the road.

lexxity
5th Mar 2006, 18:53
Just avoid ebay.:E

Jerricho
5th Mar 2006, 18:55
Rick, unfortunately they can be a bit of a necessity when there's a foot of snow on the road and you need to get to work at 0500.

(Good idea Ginge, but Evos are illegal here in Canada. Something to do with the intercooler at the front and impact tests)

*Scowls at M'lady Lexx*

Ghostie31
5th Mar 2006, 19:03
Advice: DON'T BUY NEW!!!!!!!!
Why do people buy new cars that lose thousands of pounds as you drive them out of the show room?
Our latest is a Merc, with 10k on the clock, in immaculate condition with every optional extra. Much less than book price. It's the best car we've had.
A little more research can lead to some blinding deals!!
Cheers
:ok:

Guern
5th Mar 2006, 19:12
My wife's Northern Ireland accent usually does the trick for negotiating price over the phone :) although she is actually from the Northwest of the Republic she lived in Belfast for a while. Seems to frighten some of our car dealers into submission she got two great deals for us over the last few years. :ok:

Jerricho
5th Mar 2006, 19:15
Ahhh Ghostie while I gratefully accept your adivice, things are a little different here in sunny North America. Not like that f*cked up system in the UK where the freakin numebr plate of a car can make a bloody difference.

I've done the ball park maths, and on Black Book pricing, I'm getting over 2/3rds the price of what I paid new. And that's before I start being a prick about it. 2 year old car, that ain't bad.

Buster Hyman
5th Mar 2006, 21:16
Bugger the SUV's, get yerself an Aussie Ute! Try the RTV Falcon!

http://www.ford.com.au/global/img/range/falconute/hero_rtv.gif:ok:

G-CPTN
5th Mar 2006, 21:37
I see it comes in assorted sizes.

Davaar
5th Mar 2006, 21:45
I am prepared to negotiate the bargaining services of Frau Davaar. Last time we bought a car, the dealership offered her a job in sales.

I Love This Show
5th Mar 2006, 22:16
Worried about getting bogged in the snow? Mate, you've gotta get one of these! Just be sure to wear yer woolies and a toook (that's Canadian for beanie isn't it?)

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/567/

:}

Jerricho
5th Mar 2006, 22:28
Oh hell yeah, I wanna get me one of them.

Thanks for the kind offer Mr D :ok: Is the lovely Frau likely to be in the 'Peg next week?

Davaar
5th Mar 2006, 22:47
If expenses paid. Here's what you'd be buying, though. The opening lines last time went:

Salesman: "Hi! Call me Jim. And what do I call you?"

Frau D: "Frau Davaar".

Salesman: "Oh. And how much were you thinking of paying for the car?"

Frau D: "Not much".

BlueDiamond
6th Mar 2006, 02:33
Strewth, Davaar, if the sales rep didn't know he was in trouble after the first response, he certainly would have after the second! :ok: You should tell the good Frau she would be able to put such skills to very good (and profitable) use! I have an auntie here on the Italian side of the family who is obviously cast in the same mould. She has been known to reduce large Customs Officers to tears with her ... errm ... skill with words.

Capt Claret
6th Mar 2006, 06:38
Jerricho
Gotta love the Nissan 3.0TD Patrol. They say the auto gives better economy. Mine's got long range tanks (175l) and I drove BNE-DRW in Dec fuelling at LRE, MA, KTR. (3700km).
Pics avail on Bino's Hyundai thread of last year.
As for buying, one can be lucky.
The dealer in DRW isn't worth micturating on. The next nearest in Alice never came through with a quote. A dealer in ADL quoted AUD$11k dearer than one in PER and dropped the price by $12k when told. The dealer in PER then dropped another $2k. All up, what started with a list price of about $76k plus on road was delivered on road for $65K.

Jerricho
6th Mar 2006, 06:43
Claret........nice to see you matey!!!! Thanks for the input.

The vehicle I was thinking about, well, Google 2007 FJ Toyota ;)

tinpis
6th Mar 2006, 07:09
Yers Clarrie had a similar experience in Darwhine a few years back.
Signed up for new GXL Landcruiser shook hands and then was told they didnt have one and didnt think there was one for 3 months!
Got on phone got better deal from Melbourne and had rellys drive it up.
lol at jerry it looks like the old FJ45 which WAS a good ship.
Why dont you wait a bit and I'll send you a road test from the Witchetty grub tribe in Arnhem alnd?

Binoculars
6th Mar 2006, 13:11
You young blokes get paid waaaay too much.

Jerricho
6th Mar 2006, 15:50
Planning for the future Binos........bah! What's the good in that?

effortless
6th Mar 2006, 17:24
Now if you are talking capability, look no further... (http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=6&Overide=1)

http://www.witham-sv.com/vehicles/6.jpg

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 17:27
AND there were some for sale in a recent ex-army sale in the uk (listed somewhere on Proone).

tinpis
6th Mar 2006, 21:21
How bout one of these Jerry ? Lift the arse out of pants ATC image?
http://www.lamborstry.coghiniregim/LM002/HLA12048int.jpg
http://www.heritageclassics.com/lamborghini/87redlm002/X.jpg

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 21:26
Now that WAS a real off-roader. More practical than a (military) Humvee (well, just a bit).

Buster Hyman
6th Mar 2006, 23:39
But surely he'd need the 50 cal...if just for the MIL?

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 23:47
MIL could ride in the dickie.

Buster Hyman
7th Mar 2006, 01:26
I thought that was where his problems started...:confused:

Jerricho
7th Mar 2006, 14:51
*Combining of the previous 2 posts will cause nausea, headache and fever*