PDA

View Full Version : A secret shared, is a lost opportunity!!

Vfrpilotpb
5th Mar 2006, 12:16
It seems that the well meaning folk at Whitehall have yet again given the yanks the secrets of Vertol A/c and many other things connected to this sort of A/c.

Go back to the mid 1940's and it seems that we also gave the US the secrets to the Whittle Jet engine( which they didnt have any clue about) and then later the well meaners also gave the secrets to the fully movable tail so as to allow the Bell company to create the first A/c to break the speed of sound.

Given that we seem to allways finish up giving such good things to the Yanks, and now we give them the lives of our many armed service personel in the giant sandpit.

Why will they not respond and honour their agreement with the JSF system.

Seems to me that we are being Shafted once more by our "Special Friends" as Mr Blair likes them to be known.

I think we should be considering removing our help from some of their more risky adventures !

Vfr

noisy
5th Mar 2006, 12:19
Information is worth money.

People like money. (particularly powerful people).

So somebody must have done well out of giving these secrets away.

I think that counts as an export. :}

What are you whingeing about?

frostbite
5th Mar 2006, 13:00
Special friendships with the US govt., seem to be a bit of a one-way street.

Look at the contracts dished out in Iraq.

Buster Hyman
5th Mar 2006, 21:23
Yes, info is worth $$$...but have you paid them back for WW2 yet?:confused:

Evening Star
5th Mar 2006, 21:30
but have you paid them back for WW2 yet?

IIRC end of this year ... and then we are going to paaarrrtttyyyy [said like the intro to 'Shameless'] :E :ok:

Stockpicker
5th Mar 2006, 22:02
have you paid them back for WW2 yet?

You could argue that in economic terms we and others have been paying for years. Mind you, it's they that have ended up with the humungous budget deficit ....

Onan the Clumsy
6th Mar 2006, 01:21
Yes, info is worth $$$...but have you paid them back for WW2 yet?Yes, the last Lend Lease payment was in 2005. Britain never receive any monry from the Marshall Plan.

Buster Hyman
6th Mar 2006, 01:30
the last Lend Lease payment was in 2005
Great! Did they give you the keys to the Island back?

Evening Star
6th Mar 2006, 10:39
the last Lend Lease payment was in 2005

I must have missed the party. :sad:

Did they give you the keys to the Island back?

Does not look like it, which might explain why we did not notice any changes...

Would be nice to get the keys back and have the freedom to do our thing once again. :ooh:

ORAC
6th Mar 2006, 11:34
we also gave the US the secrets to the Whittle Jet engine

To be fair, we also gave the nene to the Soviet Union........:ouch:

airship
6th Mar 2006, 12:10
Expanding on Lend-Lease:

The bill which eventually became the Lend-Lease Act was introduced in the US House and Senate on the 10th January 1941. This bill carried the 'symbolic' number of H.R. 1776. The significance is debatable, but in hindsight, perhaps it really did mark the beginning of Britain becoming a mere vassal of the USA...?! :uhoh:

From Harold Wilson's memoirs:

Lend-Lease also involved Britain's surrender of her rights and royalties in a series of British technological achievements. Although the British performance in industrial techniques in the inter-war years had been marked by a period of more general decline, the achievements of our scientists and technologists had equalled the most remarkable eras of British inventive greatness. Radar, antibiotics, jet aircraft and British advances in nuclear research had created an industrial revolution all over the developed world. Under Lend-Lease, these inventions were surrendered as part of
the inter-Allied war effort, free of any royalty or other payments from the United States. Had Churchill been able to insist on adequate royalties for these inventions, both our wartime and our post-war balance of payments would have been very different.

As Onan has already indicated, Britain's last lend-lease repayment was due to be made in 2005. But who really knows just where or when a 'debt' becomes fully repaid? Isn't that why nations have secrets? 1941 was 165 years after the Declaration of Independance. What if, for amusement's sake, we took 1941 as the start and added 165 years?! That should mean Britain will be completely free in 2106, a century from now. ;)

Until then, perhaps we'll just have to "grin and bear it" when asked to share our technology whilst some of their technologies are with-held from us...?! :8

con-pilot
6th Mar 2006, 17:20
OKAY YOU GUY! I"VE HAD WITH YOU!

If wasn't for us Americans y'all would be speaking Chinese.

You guys lost France at that place they make them cigarettes 'Dunhill', now why you guys would name cigarettes after a major defeat of the Europeans in Southern Italy I'll never know.

You guys just better be dang happy that the Germans attacked Pear Harbor and sank the Titanic and brung us back into the war to beat the Kaiser again.

And everybody knows that if wasn't for the B-52 you would have never won the war.

One more thing, by God......................................................... ............

"What's that, take another pill and everything will be fine?"

"Oh, that's better, I think I'll have a little nap now and th........................

airship
6th Mar 2006, 17:25
I'll have some of whatever c-p's on. If they allow it this side of the pond that is... ;) :O

PS. When are they going to come out with their Concorde-beater...?!

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2006, 18:05
When are they going to come out with their Concorde-beater...?!

It's already in service, but it's STEALTH and nobody's seen it yet. CIA are using it to ship . . . . SQUAWK . . . CIRRRR . . . WHEEE . . .

con-pilot
6th Mar 2006, 19:29
I tried to warn you G-C, but no, you just had to talk about....it.:suspect:

But don't worry, when you get released they will give you these neat little pills.:E

petitfromage
6th Mar 2006, 20:14
Some obviously learned historians here......please correct me if Im wrong.

I understand that mid-90s the USA forgave all debts incurred for WW2 to all allied (and axis) countries.....with the exception of the UK.

Any truth in that?

con-pilot
6th Mar 2006, 20:27
Hell I don't know (Germany and Pearl Harbor:p ), however, the wise Orac might know.

tony draper
6th Mar 2006, 20:56
The UK finished paying the cousins the money from the war just a couple of years ago,incidently them Frenchies wriggled out of it by revaluing their currency just after the war and ergo payed back less than a cent in the dollar,shrewd fecker was that De Gaul.
The monies owed and payed back and by whom, was posted here a last year or the year before,I think Mr ORAC did indeed supply the data.
:rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
6th Mar 2006, 21:08
Well, if we're not charging them for "assistance" in Afghanistan & Iraq...:rolleyes: Coalition of the Gullible???

Big spending on defence in the southern seas these days. JSF partner, M1 Abrams tanks, C17's etc, still won't get the top shelf JSF either!

Bring back the Commonwealth & we'll show the buggers!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/box2.gif

:}

ORAC
6th Mar 2006, 21:27
The last UK payment will be at the end of this year. The truth me told, however, we coulf have repaid many. many years ago. The reason we didn't wa the interest rate on the loan was far, far below the rate of inflation. The French may have done a quick scam in revaluing their currency, we just did the same thing over the long term. In the end, the UK got a, virtually, interest free loan of billions of dollars of 60 years with the US tax payer picking up the bill.

Not to say it was all one sided, lend lease , bermuda etc was a scam the other way. But it wasn't a one sided deal and good will was extended at times on both sides.

tony draper
6th Mar 2006, 21:38
Anyway we berra keep quiet about this or those Indians will be demanding the Koh In Nor diamond back.
:E

nutcracker43
6th Mar 2006, 21:43
Onan the Clumsy.

Re your 7: Britain was the largest recipient of aid in the Marshall Plan.

NC43

Richard Spandit
6th Mar 2006, 22:11
That JSF is going to be awesome. I wonder how many allied aircraft/civilian helicopters/primary schools it can shoot down in a single sortie...?