PDA

View Full Version : BIG BANG!

tilewood
5th Mar 2006, 07:13
According to this morning's radio news, the EU has directed that
the 21 gun salutes used in London do not comply with new EU noise
regulations.

Consequently the military must move the public further away, and also
reduce the size of the explosive charge used in the guns.

I wonder if the people of Belgium and France complained about the
noise of our guns when we were liberating them......twice!!

Perhaps we should take all the guns and encircle the EU Kremlin in
Brussels, then fire live shots, not blanks!! :rolleyes:

petitfromage
5th Mar 2006, 07:22
The real tragedy is that this is what your tax dollars are being spent on.
This is what our fantastic MEPs spend their time debating........utter drivel and utterly shameful.

acbus1
5th Mar 2006, 08:00
......this is what your tax dollars are being spent on.

Yep.........less bang for your bucks.

Vfrpilotpb
5th Mar 2006, 11:37
Well they could fit silencers, or better still if the powersthat be will allow they should use some of the new " Stealth" artillery rounds they don't go bang untill they land!:rolleyes:

Vfr:ok:

frostbite
5th Mar 2006, 11:45
Given the author and the title, I thought this thread would be about something else entirely!

Bahn-Jeaux
5th Mar 2006, 13:51
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Don't start me off.
I hate the EU with a passion.

Lon More
5th Mar 2006, 14:02
the 21 gun salutes used in London

It applies to all the Community.
Don't let the facts interfere with your rant though

Bahn-Jeaux
5th Mar 2006, 14:11
Facts are'nt a strong point of the EU since most edicts emanating from that monstrosity take little account of reality.
Brussels, just like its vegetable namesake gives me the s**ts.

Krystal n chips
5th Mar 2006, 14:29
Can't see it will make on iota of difference really. Public gets moved back a couple of yards ( metres to comply with EU units of course ;) ) and you just get a little less noise. Still get the 21 gun salute so what's the difference ?.

And if the directive is EU wide, then everybody is in the same boat are they not ?.

And I like sprouts as well :ok: --probably another reason I am pro-Europe rather than wishing to remain insular on this green and septic isle ( with snow at times ). I don't for one minute suggest that the EU is a perfect entity--far from it and my opinion of the waste of space UK MEP's can be summated as :mad: --but I really do think that it's the only way forward. Harmony will never be totally achieved of course---- a little matter of national politics will always prevail--but in many respects I would prefer to have EU directives rather than some of the cobbled together for the benefit of shareholders and other private interests (as opposed to the vast majority) "initiatives" seen in the UK.

tilewood
5th Mar 2006, 17:10
Lon More

'It applies to all the Community'

Oh well that's OK then, I feel much better about it now!!:yuk:

Lon More
5th Mar 2006, 17:17
Well said Krystal
Personally I think the UK's been going downhill since Margaret Thatcher's father didn't pull out in time :O

Edited for spelling

G-CPTN
5th Mar 2006, 17:21
Reminds me of a school colleague, who was stopped by the Law whilst riding his motorcycle. There were numerous 'faults' which drew the PCs attention. One was that the speedometer lacked a glass and the needle was free to rotate if twirled, and the 'audible warning device' (or horn) was inoperative.
In court, his mitigation was that he really didn't want to know how fast he was going as he might be frightened, and he thought that horns were 'noisy things'.
The Magistrates WEREN'T amused . . .

tilewood
5th Mar 2006, 17:25
Absolutely right Lon More I quite liked the idea of living in a Communist
Britain in the 60's and 70s, run by trades unions, and being bailed out by the International Monetary Fund.

I have such fond memories of the power cuts, the rubbish uncollected
in our streets, British Leyland, and the dead unburied.

Maggie spoilt all that for us didn't she! :hmm:

MagnusP
5th Mar 2006, 18:11
Britain in the 60's and 70s, run by trades unions, and being bailed out by the International Monetary Fund.
Better or worse than being run by companies raiding your pension fund, or by Berlusconi's puppets or, God forbid, Dubbya? Remember that, despite the excesses of the left in the 60s and 70s, the UK had its highest level of investment in R&D in the 20th century. Look at where the UK is now in terms of international league tables, compared with 30 years ago, and just maybe some things were being done right. God knows, I would not wish for the return of Scargill, but a lot was going well. Concorde? Space science?

Krystal n chips
5th Mar 2006, 18:33
I have such fond memories of the power cuts, the rubbish uncollected
in our streets, British Leyland, and the dead unburied.
Maggie spoilt all that for us didn't she! :hmm:

I have those memories as well---and they aren't very nice ones I have to admit-----then I have the memories of what followed and what has happened since---the problem, of course, is that the latter are not really memories at all ----they are still ongoing. :rolleyes:

Blacksheep
6th Mar 2006, 05:03
Refloat HMS Victory, send it up the Senne and let them have a traditional Royal Navy 104 gun salute!