PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a Honda S2000?

Hobo
5th Mar 2006, 05:58
I'm considering buying a Honda S2000. Any ppruners own one of these? Care to comment on pros and cons?

Ghostie31
5th Mar 2006, 08:36
I don't like the electronic speed dial thingy.
( I don't actually have one, saw it on topgear ).
Anybody else think the guys in the far east can't desgin there own cars? for example...
micra, very similar to a mini perhaps?
New micra, very similar to the new VW Beattle?
Toyota MR2, Porsche Boxter perhaps?
350Z, Lines of a Porsche Carerra?
But then when they don't copy the europeans....
http://www.azulen.de/Images/sunny.jpg
Maybe it's ok they copy!
:ok:

timmcat
5th Mar 2006, 08:57
Mate is the MD of a Honda dealer. Drop me a PM if you want him to price one up for you.

markflyer6580
5th Mar 2006, 09:25
My best mate has one now,and I had one on loan a few years back-They are fantastic,rear wheel drive being the main reason!
Near perfect balance and plenty of pace.

Cons being:- not a great deal of storage space (who cares?)
The earlier models had headlamp washers with a button on centre console near your elbow-change gear with the roof down and you get a free shower! My mates is newer and doesn't have this setup-it was maybe because I'm tall that I kept catching the switch,you dont see many 6ft + Japs!

If I didn't spend so much on flying I would buy one tomorrow.:ok:

tubthumper
5th Mar 2006, 09:58
Came number one in Top Gear's owners' survey, two years running. Mrs Tubthumper drives a Honda Jazz, and we can't fault the service we've had from our local Honda dealer. Knowing what I now know about owning and driving a Honda, if I had the money I wouldn't hesitate in buying an S2000. Tubthumper says, "Go for it!".

kenfoggo
5th Mar 2006, 11:29
I got one. Love it. To get the best out of it you really have to rev it until dogs in the next parish start to howl. Blows Boxsters into weeds. No storage space, the boot will hold one pressed cheese sandwich and a kit kat. Great fun though.
Mine for sale, 475,000 GBP to include house in tax haven.

Maxbert
5th Mar 2006, 11:30
Jerricho seems to have one... :E :E :E

Shaggy Sheep Driver
5th Mar 2006, 11:30
I don't have one, but looked at them a while back (chose a new MX5 instead). Main problem is like some Jap bikes they need to be revved to get them to go. Bit of a screamer - not for me.

SSD

Gingerbread Man
5th Mar 2006, 11:54
I was fortunate enough to take one to my last day of high school, so when everyone else went to get trashed at midday, I went for a blat around the countryside.

Absolutely loved it and would seriously consider one when I have enough money. They are short on low end torque, so you need to rely on the huge rev range to make it perform. That said, it will probably still impress when accelerating in 6th, depending on what you're used to. Lucky chap that I am, I got to drive an XKR a few times and then had the chance to drive an S2000 again, and it seemed a bit wheezy in comparison, but if you're used to driving a hatchback the S2000 should be awesome.

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I loved having 9000 rpm to play with - it absolutely sings when you get it up that high. It will do something absurd like 75mph in second gear, compared to my Puma which will only just scrape 55.

It has a reputation of being a bit spin-happy on slippery roads, and it isn't kind. There's no gentle departure - it just snaps. There is no space to put stuff, but you wouldn't buy this car with practicality in mind anyway.

Enjoy it if you go for it! :ok:

Ginger ;)

P.S.
Blows Boxsters into weeds
Only just, and not the Boxster S i'm afraid. Plus, a Boxster would probably handle much better, but costs a fair bit more.

Crepello
5th Mar 2006, 13:50
I looked at an S2000 recently, but my main concern was the size of the boot. Eventually went for a hardtop (RX8) which is superb. That has a digital speedo too, didn't think I'd like it but now prefer it to analogue.

My ex-gf had a humbler Honda; can echo the remark about service, plus reliability and depreciation.

Happy test-driving. :ok:

Lon More
5th Mar 2006, 14:26
Wouldn't mind one if anyone feels like giving theirs away
Digital dachboards are no problem. I've got one in the Avantime and also my 1963 Chevy pick-up (not factory fitted though)
http://www.dakotadigital.com/cartimages/prd_zm_155.jpg

Ghostie31
5th Mar 2006, 14:29
Digital? When you could have this...
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/296/923/1024/2004_db9_20.jpg

Lon More
5th Mar 2006, 14:52
Ghostie.. looks a bit like the four sprung duck technique

Full Emergency
5th Mar 2006, 16:49
what makes me laugh about that picture is how far down the gauage 60 mph is........

That and 30 doesn't even make an apperance...

Mind you. If you own that car, I don't think you'd be too bothered.

FE

Lon More
5th Mar 2006, 16:52
Actually FE it does appear . The outer ring of the speedo is KPH - the inner MPH

Ghostie31
5th Mar 2006, 17:18
Wrong end of the stick I think Lon More.

Craggenmore
5th Mar 2006, 17:49
Ahh the old Aston Martin/Ford parts bin! :ok: You can find those dials on the new Focus ST without the 'ahem' titanium finish. Lovely exterior though; when I last drove a Vanquish I just did not feel I was in a car worth £170,000 - a shame; lovely exterior though.

I drive a S2000 and they are superb. Dr Jekyll up untill 5000rpm then Mr Hyde until 9000 rpm. 2 cars for the price for one in other words. Its a honda jazz then a mini 911.

But what do you want if for. If its the wife and 2 kids then forget it, but if its just for two then its fine. It won't take 2 plus 2 long-haul suitcases but it will one. But if you fit softer travel bags you can squeeze more in than you can think.

Golf clubs are a bit of an effort.

If its the consumer ratings that float your boat then its been the best car in the world for the past 3 years in a row.

Gingerbread Man
5th Mar 2006, 17:54
Oh yeah, and you'll have the best naturally-aspirated power-to-diplacement ratio in the world.

What? That matters to some people. Doesn't it? :ugh:

GBM

Jerricho
5th Mar 2006, 17:59
Jerricho seems to have one... :E :E :E

http://home.comcast.net/~aeroman2/jerrichonT.jpg

I pitty da fool who drive with Jerricho!!!

Maxbert
5th Mar 2006, 18:02
Excellent! :D :p :ok: