PDA

View Full Version : Black Choppers! [The Military]

blt
4th Mar 2006, 20:20
Hi!

This is my first post (obviously) but I've been lurking for awhile. 'Must say, I'm very impressed with the forum - seems like a cool place.

NB I thought about posting these questions in the Military section but it seems to be mainly aimed at actual military pilots rather than those asking questions about becoming one. If that's where it should be, please move it. Thanks :)

Basically, I'm interesting in joining up to pilot either in the FAA or RAF* but the information I've been given has been rather unhelpful/vague. With that in mind, I thought I'd give you guys a shot and see if you can answer some of my questions.

I realise that the processes are probably quite different for both arms so I'll ask the following questions in general:

Firstly, I'm more interested in piloting fast jets, but from what I've read you are assigned rather than being able to choose. So, how open is this? Are you given any choice in the matter or is it just down to hit 'n' hope?

Following on from that, how exactly does the selection process work? Are you selected on a testing basis? If so, what kind of tests are given?

As a footnote, I fully realise that it may not be possible for me to go in as a fast jet pilot - and that's fine; it's just my main preference, and since the RAF and RN websites are so fantastically vague, I figured I may as well ask over here. :)

Oh, by the way - before someone tells me to go down to my local recruiting office and ask there, I live ~30-40 miles from the nearest one and being a skint student have no transport. God bless Lincolnshire.

Interestingly, I've sent off for info. packs in the past but kept getting fobbed off with educational support and sponsorship booklets. (the OMG What should I do next!?!?/WHY THE RAF IS GREAT! types). (?)

-

'Scuse my noobness.
I'll be goin' now. Cheers.

B.L.T.

* Conspicuous lack of AAC because it's evil.

airborne_artist
4th Mar 2006, 20:59
1. Are you within age limits? 23 on joining, essentially.

2. RAF will assign you on ability and their need at the time as you go through training.

3. Aptitude testing (search the mil forum on "aptitude") takes place for all three services at the RAF's OASC - a combination of tests, followed with officer selection. A pass score doesn't mean you are in, it just gets you to the pile they draw from - don't forget the officer bit - you'll need show you are a leader, and that's perhaps the bit many people forget.

Do ask more on the Mil forum, unlike some other forums we won't mention, the Mil Ppruners are normally very supportive of those who seek to follow in their illustrious footsteps.

16 blades
5th Mar 2006, 01:29
Conspicuous lack of AAC because it's evil.
I like you already. You're in!

Seriously though, as A_A already said, there is no guarantee that you will fly FJ (or any other type) if you join. You will be 'streamed' based upon your ability as demonstrated during training, and the needs of the service (which take premise) over everything else. You have the right to express a preference, but the service is under no obligation to pay any attention to it (although it will where it can).

Having said that, expressing a preference for anything OTHER than FJ at the training stage is usually looked on unfavourably, since Linton (and to a certain extent, EFT) is mainly staffed by fast jet w@nkers who think they are the only show in town. That having been said, do not discount ME or rotary - there are plenty of good jobs to be had in both worlds, depending on your personal preferences.

16B

H Peacock
5th Mar 2006, 05:21
16 Blades

In reply to your last post, I dont believe that Linton is 'mainly staffed by fast
jet w@nkers'. (I'm not debating the w@nkers bit!) When I left the place a few years ago most of the QFIs by far were ex multi, with a few ex rotary. Indeed there were only a handful of ex fast jet QFIs. Furthermore I'm not even sure that AFT at Valley (208Sqn) has many more ex fast jet QFIs than other - ie creamies/crossovers.

As regards expressing a preference at Linton, you need to know that Linton is - or was - BFJT, ie Basic Fast Jet Training. The course was a lead-in to the Hawk and Aft at Valley. In other words every student at Linton had already been selected as suitable for fast jet. I have heard stories about students being streamed again following completion of Linton - just like the old days of BFT - but that is not how the system was designed.

H Peacock

Letsby Avenue
5th Mar 2006, 06:27
You sound perfect for the RAF old chap - Just the sort they are looking for...:}

Pontius Navigator
5th Mar 2006, 07:15
Lincolnshire is big, but not that big, unless you are in Skeg that is.

Oddly, if you are a student and skint, there should be a railway not too far from you and a local bus service. The Lincoln AFCO is just down the High Street from the station.

Really you can turn the difficulty in to an advantage.

I borrowed a canoe, paddle across the impassable dyke, left her, hitched a ride on a farm tractor to a stables, rode to the railway station, waving at the helicopters on the way, got the train to Sleaford. Admired the shiny towers as we went to Lincoln.

On the way home . . .

Gives you something to say at interview doesn't it?

Me? I just shoved a letter in an envelope, they sent me a warrant, gave me an interview and the rest is as they say . . . but were different in the old days.

Curtis E Carr
5th Mar 2006, 08:15
* Conspicuous lack of AAC because it's evil.

Care to elaborate?

hobie
5th Mar 2006, 08:30
are we sure this is not a 'Wind-up' ???? ...... :confused:

5th Mar 2006, 11:17
Your use of the word "cool" places you exactly in the right maturity bracket. Please, please join the Crabs. :ok: :mad:

BEagle
5th Mar 2006, 11:59
"...across the impassable dyke, left her..."

Sounds like a sound move to me!

BluntM8
5th Mar 2006, 21:31
Wah, wind-up, bite or whatever,

Just thought I'd say how nice it is to read a question about joining the armed forces which is well written and hasn't resorted to text speak.

Of course, U didn't need 2 know that...:yuk:

T

Trevors cat
6th Mar 2006, 06:39
Dear BLT

If you are not resourceful enough to find a way of travelling thirty odd miles (hitch hike, walk, run, cycle, hijack a car etc…) to research a career that will occupy several years of your life then do you really think you are officer material?

I don’t mean to be negative, I am just curious as to your motives and motivation.

Either way good luck in all that you do.

P.S. If you are a bit thick you could always become a helicopter pilot (like me).

P.P.S. does BLT stand for bloody lazy tw@t?

P.P.P.S. Is this a wind up?

Pontius Navigator
7th Mar 2006, 16:22
Looks like a distinct lack of interest. Fire one post and exit stage left. The email address looks very adjacent to a gamer type. Might be good at arcade games but . . .

BigGrecian
7th Mar 2006, 16:48
Oh, by the way - before someone tells me to go down to my local recruiting office and ask there, I live ~30-40 miles from the nearest one and being a skint student have no transport. God bless Lincolnshire.

Sounds like you'll fit right in when living on a RAF Base then - oh and Lincolnshire - yeap you've got to learn to love it nowadays!:}

hobie
7th Mar 2006, 18:29
I remember a 50cc "Mobylette" bombing down to Northolt many years ago in all weathers .... :(

sounds just the job ..... :p

http://www.mopedarmy.com/img/gallery/mobylette_1985_20548.jpg

GengisKhant
8th Mar 2006, 15:50
Hobie...., is that bike parked in a museum....?, or was the picture taken in the house across from my hotel? ...., on second thoughts..., couldn't be the house I am thinking of..., no samovar on the sideboard....:\

hobie
8th Mar 2006, 16:27
is that bike parked in a museum....?,

isn't everyones front room/lounge like that? .... :p

http://www.widerview.com/gg2320a.jpg

GengisKhant
8th Mar 2006, 19:45
Didn't mean to get personal.... its just that it looked a lot like the inside of some of the concrete slabs that pass for houses here. But there you go...., one mans palace is anothers front room....:O

GengisK

hobie
8th Mar 2006, 20:06
as we await BLT's decision on the Mobylette .... ;)

a slight thread drift for you Geng ( I recall your interest in an earlier thread) ......

http://www.strangedangers.com/images/content/8429.gif

GengisKhant
8th Mar 2006, 20:21
So that what it must have looked like departing Edinburgh.....Fantastic photo...., and many thanks for the look see.

One of my hobbies is photography..., and I have many lightning shots in and around Kowloon & Kai Tak....., always entertaining to watch the approach between the high rises in to the checker board then the "right full rudder" and across the piano keys....., fighting the cross winds and trying to keep from rolling off the end into Fragrant Harbour...., all gone now unfortunately....,

Still..., never managed to capture a hit on an aircaft....,

thanks again

GengisK :ok:

Rakshasa
10th Mar 2006, 18:40

Bloody 'ell, mate. The nearest one to me was Sheffield when I was a 'skint stude'. I still managed to visit it and a bored looking bloke even gave me a nice shiny photocopy of the entry requirements and the latest pay scale as a memento. :}

. The Lincoln AFCO is just down the High Street from the station.
Really you can turn the difficulty in to an advantage.
I borrowed a canoe, paddle across the impassable dyke, left her, hitched a ride on a farm tractor to a stables, rode to the railway station, waving at the helicopters on the way, got the train to Sleaford. Admired the shiny towers as we went to Lincoln.

Me? I just drove up the A1. Just as much a challenge if you ask me! :E

The Apprentice
11th Mar 2006, 18:13
Yep thats what we are paid to be, keeping our precious SH bretheren safe and sound.

Done it for years in Ireland and now we find ourselves doing it again.

But if I was a young man joining the services yes I would go crab first,
quality of life A+,

"street cred zero"