PDA

View Full Version : Poker Rules - Who wins??

Reverand Lovejoy
4th Mar 2006, 18:35
Good Evening all,

Been playing poker with my brother tonight and had a little discrepancy <sp>. The ultimate argument is....can u have high and low flush?. The game is texas no limit hold'em and the cards were........

Ace, King, Nine, Seven, Two ........ of clubs, dealt, ie a flush

Player one had a jack of clubs and a four of diamonds

Player two had a king of spades and Eight of spades..................... who wins??

Thanks for your help

The Reverand

PTT
4th Mar 2006, 18:41
If two hands are the same winning "type" then the highest card wins. In this case is A K J 9 7 of clubs.

Only the 5 best cards of the 7 count in the winning hand.

If you'd both had the same hand, i.e. the dealt hand wins, then the pot is split.

Carbide Finger
4th Mar 2006, 19:15
Player One wins. He has a higher flush of Clubs (with the Jack).

Wino
4th Mar 2006, 20:00
Highest flush wins for high hand. So who ever has the highest card wins that high portion of the pot. If the five best cards are on the board, than its a tie. However, Player 1 had a better "live" card so he wins.

Now if you happen to be playing a hi lo slpit game you can have a flush and a low. Ace 2 3 4 5 of Spades would make the strait flush wheel. and most likely be the nut to scoop both sides of the pot. Ace 2 3 4 5 of spades is the perfect low, and a strait flush is a killer high hand.

However, since you were playing texas holdem, I assume that you were only playing for a high pot (though I have played with a hi low slpit in huge (12 or 13 players or more) games. Therefore because you mentioned hi lo:

Player 1 wins with a flush made up of ace king jack 9 7 of clubs which beats player 2's ace king 9 7 2 flush. (best five cards makes the hand, the sixth and seventh card never matter)

As a matter of interest if you playing High low split, Player 1 also had the better low of the two hands, So he would have won both sides of a split pot. (2479J vs 2789K) However if there was a qualifier on the low like 8 or better, than there was no qualifying low.

Cheers
Wino

PS. You got that drawn out answer because you said Hi and low flush, so I am not sure EXACTLY what game you are playing. There are many many variations.

Reverand Lovejoy
4th Mar 2006, 20:14
Wino,

Legend............ That's the perfect answer.

Problem solved and question put to bed, although it rules against me!!!

Thanks again

The Reverand:ok: