PDA

View Full Version : Early flight from Gatwick

Pax Vobiscum
4th Mar 2006, 13:51
I'm driving to Gatwick on a Friday morning to catch the BA 08:10 to Bologna (since there are no directs from LHR). As it's been a while since my last trip there, can anyone advise me what time I should aim to arrive to ensure I get my flight? I plan to use on-line check-in and will have hold baggage, if that's relevant.

Thanks in advance

PV

SteveQB
4th Mar 2006, 18:02
well I regularly get the 6.30 to Amsterdam. I generally arrive at LGW around 5.30, or so (in the terminal i mean, not the carpark) and have time for a quick juice and bacon sandwich in the lounge before getting the flight.

I never use LHR unless I have to!

Coming back is pretty good too, I average about 15 mins or less from wheels on runway to outside the terminal.

Pax Vobiscum
6th Mar 2006, 16:20
Thanks Steve,

I was wondering what the security queues are like in the North terminal at 7am (when I was aiming to arrive) - I guess they're fairly light at 05:30!

PV

bealine
6th Mar 2006, 21:21
Friday morning is busier than normal, but......

0700 arrival will definitely ensure your hold baggage makes the flight (as long as the belts don't fail!)

Security queues usually take 10-15 mins to get through at 07.00 - very, very rarely do they ever exceed 20 mins nowadays!!!

At the absolute latest then, you would clear "Central Search" at 07.40 - still giving you 20 mins to reach the gate, the furthest walk to which is 15 mins!!!

I think, PV, you're home and dry!!!

Pax Vobiscum
7th Mar 2006, 14:41
Great stuff, bealine - see you there, maybe!

PV

bealine
8th Mar 2006, 20:41
Unfortunately, I'm on late shift tomorrow - but all the best PV!!!

For anyone else who may be using this thread to gauge timings at Gatwick, please note that I am speaking from the experience of the Winter Schedules! Another week or two and this advice may well be hopelessly out of date!

The Summer Schedules kick in from March 21st onwards and this is entering unknown territory!!! Certainly, based on previous years, the airport will become very, very busy from about 10 days before Easter onwards!!!

Globaliser
8th Mar 2006, 20:56
The Summer Schedules kick in from March 21st onwards ...Sunday 26 March this year, isn't it?

bealine
10th Mar 2006, 05:41
Sorry - should have made myself clear!

The Summer Schedules kick-in on March 26th, but the Passenger Loads, usually associated with the summer schedules, dramatically increase on March 21st!!!

Whilst we have the Easter Holiday getaway people, mixing with the tail end of the skiing season, the airport tends to get a wee bit hectic!!!

Pax Vobiscum
10th Mar 2006, 15:38
Actually, we're flying in two weeks, which will put us just ahead of the timetable change. I expect Mrs PV will want us to err on the side of caution anyhow ...

Pax Vobiscum
29th Mar 2006, 15:35
Well, we got to LGW at 06:55 and had dropped our bags and through security by 07:05! Makes me want to consider using LGW as an alternative to LHR and its ludicrous security queues (if only it weren't an hour further away from my home). The new air bridge (http://www.arup.com/DOWNLOADBANK/download464.pdf)is very cool indeed :ok:

BA flights were up to the usual high standard, I even enjoyed my 'all day deli' on the way back (a hot pizza-style bread + salad and desert).