PDA

View Full Version : Advice - business plan for private aircraft

dllcooper
3rd Mar 2006, 18:30
Shortly i am embarking on my training for JAA CPL/ATPL in Canada for 12 months (hopefully no more). On my return i will need to setup an aircraft to run, capable of transporting my brother and i around Europe for business. Specification is - pressurised cabin, twin engined 4-6 seater, capable of European travel. I am completing a business plan for this to check feasability against chartering, so any advice on costs (general or specific) is really welcomed.

I am at a loss to get any clear answers on what costs i am looking at, most suibtable type and also what cetificate i need in terms of running an aircraft for private use and the possible odd charter aswell.

Any advice you could offer would be really appreciated, to help me through this minefield of certificates, legislation and choices.

Best regards - David Cooper

leonbrumsack
3rd Mar 2006, 20:21
Something like a Piper Cheyenne could be suitable, but am not sure about the legalities to do with charter, AOC, etc.

Daifly
3rd Mar 2006, 21:46
The feasibility of this sort of operation has been done to the death on here before. The introduction of JAR and EASA has made it completley uneconomical to run a single aircraft of that size on an AOC - the charges and the infrastructure are essentially prohibitive for one aircraft.

Suggest you have a search around the BizJet forums for similar threads.

Ops costs of a Cheyenne? Could make an educated guess at being more than the cost of chartering a similar machine (if such a similar machine is offered for charter now!) - but it's related to hours flown. Anything less than 2-300 and charter would be cheaper. It's a rule of thumb that works at the higher levels and I'd be surprised if it wasn't applicable at this level, though am always willing to concede.

dllcooper
3rd Mar 2006, 22:28
Thankyou for that post - food for thought. I have several people i know whom also have need for an aircraft so i imagine that the aeroplane will be made to sweat and it could well be feasible. I need to research into this JAR certificate etc.. and review costs.

Could you spare me a minute to give an educated guess at ops costs of a cheyenne or similar - this would go a long way as to whether i invest further time towards this whole idea.:ok:

B200Drvr
4th Mar 2006, 06:04
dlcooper.
Look into the King-Air series, 90 & 200 have very similar operating costs, but the 300 although a touch more expensive to operate also has much better performance figures. A 200 with full fuel is no longer a 8 pax machine if you adhere to the numbers. Also for personal use look into "N" reg.
PM me if I can be of any help, I fly them for a living.
Maintenance and spares are also alot easier to come by due to numbers.

Lembrado
4th Mar 2006, 09:12
Hey David Cooper

Do you plan on flying this aeroplane single pilot IFR around Europe?

I put it to you that with a CPL/IR done mostly in Canada, with only minimum hours, this may be outside of you're experience level - initially.

Some sort of partnership, with an experienced GA pilot, at the early stages may be of use to you.

L

dllcooper
4th Mar 2006, 09:53
Does anybody have a business plan for running a similar aircraft - would anybody be interested in helping me to put a summary of costs together, including the AOC, hangarage, maintenance, CAA and downtime and any other associated certificates required.

My brother and his business partner are the main stake holders so i must provide a full business plan to review feasibility. We are aiming to fly the aircraft for charter when we are not using it to try and recoup some money. This is the most important aspect, if we cant do this, then it proabably wont be feasible to run our own aircraft and i wont be allowed to do my exams by the better half. I must try to make it feasible some how!

P>S> Any pointers to aircraft brokers or auctions in the UK or Switzerland?

H.Finn
4th Mar 2006, 11:04
I'll give you the best advice, probably worth hundreds of thousands USD or sterling or euros: don't!

dllcooper
4th Mar 2006, 18:58
It would be really useful to hear from anybody who has run a scheme similar to this. Private/syndicate - self fly ownership - subsidised with private charter(i will hopefully be flying for the chartering trips).

Phil Brockwell
4th Mar 2006, 19:23
David,

In the nicest possible way I deal with people in your position everyday.

You are either sincere and misguided, and will never get this off the ground.
or
Sincere and and aircraft operation is the correct solution for you, however it is unlikely to work based on your current assumptions.

In my experience the former outnumber the latter by 11 to one.

If you are serious about this you need to improve your information sources, because, despite the fact that every piece of information you need to know is held in the head of a member of this site, you do not have to be anything but computer literate to come in here.

If you are looking at a multimillion dollar investment, which you are if you want to operate an aircraft that does what you want on an AOC, you need to get some proper professional advise, and PAY for it.

Phil

trainer too 2
5th Mar 2006, 09:48
Dear D
Phil's advice is 100% spot on..... If you need a broker he can help too :)

subsidised with private charter(i will hopefully be flying for the chartering trips). Is impossible under JAR so you have three options:

start an JAR AOC
Have the aircraft managed
Fly it purely private

sailor
5th Mar 2006, 16:06
Want to know how to become a millionaire? Start with a billion and get involved with flying aircraft!