PDA

View Full Version : Well Done to the crew on ANZ63 this morning - but what happened ?!

quadradar
3rd Mar 2006, 17:13
Gather ANZ63 had some excitement early this morning - well done on getting it back team !

All in ATC curious as to what happened though ?:confused:

6080ft
4th Mar 2006, 07:39
Quadradar perhaps you can fill us all in with what you know?

quadradar
5th Mar 2006, 09:04
Not a thing on pprune or on the news - most odd - would have thought a mayday call well offshore (received / monitored by 2 other aircraft) emergency descent / 1 hour return to terra firma at 10,000 ft would have been newsworthy:(
Is there a news ban on this due to us being encouraged to fly on the national carrier ?
Very strange ....

AerocatS2A
5th Mar 2006, 12:01
Sometimes the media just misses stuff.

pakeha-boy
5th Mar 2006, 17:47
What type of A/C?.....coming back at 10,000,would indicate to me a pressurization problem.?????.....obviously the outcome was positive,.....A/C have problems everyday....no need to make an issue just because a mayday was heard....:} :}

haughtney1
5th Mar 2006, 19:39
Couldnt possibly have been a Boeing:} ..was probably one of those lightly engineered french/german built scarebuses:E
Are you ready to come over to the darkside(boeing) Pakeha Boy?:p

nuku-rangi
6th Mar 2006, 04:30
Understand it was a baby Boeing.........

Hanz Blix
6th Mar 2006, 05:30
Or a BUS,

Heard a frenchy leaving AKL the other day going up for a test flight over coromandal to test pressurisation!:eek:

The above is the truth but i wouldn't have a clue to the real story:ok:

amos2
6th Mar 2006, 05:42
could I suggest that P-Boy refresh his memory on what a 'mayday' call means? :ugh:

MOR
6th Mar 2006, 10:45
Well at least the Eurojet doesn't lose it's roof, or give you a rudder hardover at a bad moment. But then, the french jet has its problems too.

It is becoming clear to me that the safest aircraft in the world comes from Woodford, England. Never lost one to mechanical failure. never killed a pax. Queen loves 'em. Queens idiot son loves to crash 'em...

'One day, lad... all this will be yours..."
"What... the swamp?"

:E :E :E

OhForSure
6th Mar 2006, 10:52
... great movie.:ok:

nuku-rangi
6th Mar 2006, 18:07
NZ 63 is the TBU-AKL service.............and it was a Boeing operating that flight.

Taildragger67
6th Mar 2006, 19:13
'One day, lad... all this will be yours..."
"What... the swamp?"
:E :E :E

Incorrect quote. Prince Herbert's initial response is
"What, the curtains?"

Other gems:
"That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp"

"She's got huuuuuge..... tracts of land!"

MOR
6th Mar 2006, 22:25
Ah but I wasn't quoting, I was paraphrasing... :p

This is a quote though...

"The tenants arrive here, in the entrance hall, are carried along the corridor on a conveyor belt in extreme comfort past murals depicting Mediterranean scenes, towards the rotating knives. The last twenty feet of the corridor are heavily sound-proofed..."

;)

pakeha-boy
7th Mar 2006, 03:20
H1...MATE!!!! ..dont get into the Boeing/Airbus thing as Ive flown both...have 1800hrs in the 727 Q 100 model....loved the bloody thing....now you young fellas are in the 757/733 ,thats good ,but dont take piss out of those who flew the "real stuff"....was flying that stuff ,whilst you were still in your "dads bags".....the dark side maybe...but we used to refer to that as "inflight"....kuri bro

pakeha-boy
7th Mar 2006, 03:44
amos 2...come on mate!!!!....lets not get too involved here/....a mayday or a pan call is not that hard to understand.....to make the mayday call,and maybe you should refresh your memory.. is something of a serious nature....no news is good news...there was obviously not a serious problem,and most likely a misunderstanding......listen mate, when you fly over the water,international type stuff, let me know...then Ill know that you know what your talking about......those of us that do it on a daily basis,do not take lightly ,a mayday or pan distress call....it is something that we all take seriously...and would without hesitation,respond ...... look up "pan" also....glad I could help....pouri!!!

MOR
7th Mar 2006, 03:53
Pakeha Boy

Now don't come the slippery eel with that 727 crap. I preferred the Trident... now that was real mans aeroplane... especially the IIIb. Real mans knobs and full autoland, not to mention a nice little rocket motor for those hot and highs.

Great moving map display too. For you young guys, the (paper) map really did move, and a little pointer scratched out your path. Pictures available for un believers... :} :} :}

pakeha-boy
7th Mar 2006, 04:00
MOR...your right...I get to ride on my "white horse"...now its your turn...and without blowing smoke up your tailpipe.....might I say,that it was/is a fine piece of equipment....guess it all boils down to .....how old you are:} :} :} ...gettng old sucks !!!

MOR
7th Mar 2006, 07:52
Amen to that, cuzzy bro! :}

nike
7th Mar 2006, 23:06
Are you two joined at the hip?:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

justathought
8th Mar 2006, 08:33
after all that... does anyone know what happened?? Heard it was a blown tire on takeoff?? Doesn't seem to tie in with flying at 10,000' and the emergency descent though???

DeltaT
8th Mar 2006, 18:37
No tyre blow out involved as far as I know, but shall we say descriptions given thus far on the thread are what you would expect for the situation that occurred.
How have they managed to keep all the passengers quiet about it?

MOR
10th Mar 2006, 05:09
Probably because the passengers didn't notice much and refused to succumb to mindless panic. Non-events have that effect on people...

Of course if it was the UK, they would all have been on their cellphones to the tabloids...

DeltaT
10th Mar 2006, 07:17
Its going to be very dangerous for me to state what I do know as I do not represent Air NZ. But I know the passengers did notice!
SOP was carried out...

pakeha-boy
10th Mar 2006, 13:56
cabin altitude problems then?????????

Plas Teek
11th Mar 2006, 18:45
Possible Bird Strike. Not sure about the 10 000' bit though. Normal to get close to birds in Tonga but not in Akl...

Split Flap
11th Mar 2006, 22:02
Nothing to do do with birds or tires. Event was handled by the book.

MOR
11th Mar 2006, 23:52
geez some of you guys need to get over yourselves! It will all be published in due course, and is probably common knowledge around the airport. The event is a few days old now so the papers won't be interested (if they ever were). So why not put your anonymity to good use, spill the beans and put all the wannabes/plane spotters out of their misery?

'Cos if you don't were going to start talking about Tridents and 727s again... :} :}

Probably just an engine farting and dying anyway... :rolleyes:

What time is ECT?
12th Mar 2006, 02:55
MOR, did you say you had some photos?
Quote:
"Great moving map display too. For you young guys, the (paper) map really did move, and a little pointer scratched out your path. Pictures available for un believers..."

MOR
12th Mar 2006, 04:06
Sure, I'll dig them out and post them tonight...

Woomera
12th Mar 2006, 04:27
MOR

Pictures available for un believers:rolleyes: the yoof of today:}

So should we show em pics of the household fridge size Carousel IRS (was it 90 minutes to align ?) or how about that new fangled doppler nav, VLF/Omega (saw they decommissioned the last Omega station recently), RNAV still useful all marvels of the day.:}

MOR
12th Mar 2006, 06:30
Woomera baby

Of course we should! Then they will know what all those questions in ATPL papers are referring to... :}

http://www.blueskiesdesign.co.nz/images/Trident/movingmap.jpg

The moving map display is at the middle right, above the power levers. There is no map in place in this picture, but you can see the rollers that the map runs over. You can see the pointer towards the right of the unit. Some useless First Officer has put the bug card over the front of the moving map unit...

We doan need no steenking GPS...

Lots of other really interesting technology on this aircraft... the HSI is particularly interesting... yellow and blue sectors and all sorts of interesting pointers!

Continental-520
12th Mar 2006, 22:51
Some useless First Officer has put the bug card over the front of the moving map unit...after that arrogant Captain asked him to, and he then thought to himself "Why the hell would you want the bug cards over the moving map???

Mmm....

MOR
12th Mar 2006, 23:22
Ah, I see you have understood BA culture... :}

gaunty
12th Mar 2006, 23:41
And being a British design, the instrument panel was designed, by standing down the back of the aircraft and randomly lobbing the instruments at the panel, with the Capt getting all the pretty coloured ones and a real steering wheel.:E

Capt Claret
13th Mar 2006, 03:42
Gaunty, I'm perplexed. You said, randomly lobbing the instruments at the panel,

are you saying the Brit's don't have an ergonomic bent when it comes to the design of aeroplanes ......

..... and cars ......

.... and trucks .....

.... and :eek:

MOR
13th Mar 2006, 03:46
Ah well you clearly haven't seen the engineers panel then, that's where all the really pretty colours are...

http://www.blueskiesdesign.co.nz/images/Trident/tridentengpan.jpg

Want me to tell you what they all do...???:p

AerocatS2A
13th Mar 2006, 03:46
Ah yes, the British. Aren't they the crowd who designed a high performance piston engine fighter and put the undercarriage lever on the opposite side of the cockpit from the throttle quadrant?

Woomera
13th Mar 2006, 05:21
Well, we are so far off thread now why not.:rolleyes:

I can see the little retractable tray thingy on the RH side 1/3 way up for the teapot, milk, sugar bikkies and cups, and the napkin holder down the bottom RH corner, and the big drawer on the rear bulkhead for the Captains wallet, but which one is the light that goes PINNNGGGGG:p

turbolager
13th Mar 2006, 09:43
quick lads, that hot new hostie's coming up with the salmon crepes! turn on the machine that goes PIIIIING!

LocoDriver
13th Mar 2006, 20:05
Ahhhhhh
the thread may have been hijacked, but the photos are good!
MOR, please tell a bugsmasher driver what type of aircraft is the subject of the photos??

Some of us know what the problem with the baby Boeing was,( already correctly guessed) but out of respect for the crew and the airline, have elected to 'sit on it'.

Passengers probably wern't even aware of any 'problem', and , with a good aircraft, well maintained and crewed, with top airline(NO, I dont work for them) that in itself shows the professionalism with which it was handled.
I am sure all will be revealed in due course.

Back to the hijacked thread.....
comments on British built aircraft......... I have had considerable experience with British built Locomotives, thankfully now all have been retired(replaced by American machinery) they were slow, stodgy, cramped, hard to work on, and piddled oil everywhere, nearly as dirty as the steam locos they replaced!

Cheers,
Just plane Loco!
:E :E

MOR
13th Mar 2006, 23:48
Just for Woomera...

http://www.blueskiesdesign.co.nz/images/Trident/tridentcentcons.jpg

LocoDriver, it's a Hawker Siddeley Trident IIIb. Most of them became fire training devices, sitting at airports looking very sorry for themselves... many now cut up for scrap. There is still a good one a Duxford, and I think the Chinese are still flying theirs.

These photos are of the simulator, spent many hundreds of hours in this sim teaching wannabe airline pilots about flying jets. It is an "old school" simulator, absolutely accurate in the cockpit detail, even down to having the correct heated windows. Sits on a 3DOF motion base that reminds me of British locos (ie it tends to leak a lot of hydraulic fluid).

LocoDriver
13th Mar 2006, 23:58
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Thanks MOR,
I'm jealous, what a great classic!
One of those sims would be great to have around today.

( 'what time is ECT?' is drooling at the mouth already!)

anyway, back to the Cessna!

Cheers
Totally Loco
:E :ok:

MOR
14th Mar 2006, 03:41
It's still around, it lives on a small farm near Biggin Hill. There was a guy that set up after me doing flight training on it, but I can't find his website any more so that may have stopped. The chap that owns it has it running most days.

There's also a Buccaneer motion sim there, and the front end of a Vulcan used to live there too.

I still have my briefing package from those days if anybody wants one.

What time is ECT?
14th Mar 2006, 04:47
Yes, loco, I was thrilled to see a REAL aircraft - not just a push-button auto-thingee.

The mantra is "waypoint, goto, enter"

ECT???

pakeha-boy
15th Mar 2006, 15:45
MOR ...maaaaaate!!!...great photos,......it proves you have at least 10 yrs on me.....what a happy day I will have......well done !!!

MOR
15th Mar 2006, 21:48
Nah I'm probably a lot younger, I just like hanging around old planes. A simpler (more complex) time, and all that.

The photos are of the simulator, which is still active.

Woomera
16th Mar 2006, 00:37
And if this thread goes anywhere near the triple gated bi-polar quadraphase thronomister array employed in this aircraft (they drive the the piiiiiiing button) I'll have to consider closing it.:}

MOR
16th Mar 2006, 01:49
A triple gated bi-polar quadraphase thronomister array... :)

http://www.blueskiesdesign.co.nz/images/Trident/tridentfaultpanel.jpg

There you go, padlock guy!!! :p

Woomera
16th Mar 2006, 05:00
Done! Bloody Thronominomiministers:suspect: :}

Wait a minute......That looks suspiciously like the IOS. Cheeky bugga's those Kiwis. ;)

*Click*

See, we do have a sense of humour :cool:

Woomera (Eastern States)