PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough Air Show

jamesiek
3rd Mar 2006, 16:55
Hi there,

Would anyone be able to tell me what the main attractions at this years air-show will be??

VC10 Rib22
3rd Mar 2006, 17:34
Okay, I'll start......A380
Anyone else?

Here is a nice little promo for this year's show
http://www.farnborough.com/docs/2006/farnborough06.wmv

VC10 Rib22
:ok:

whattimedoweland
3rd Mar 2006, 17:56
BA to announce an order for B747-800,B777-300ER and B787;) .

Go Boeing:ok: .

WTDWL.

onthemagicbeam
3rd Mar 2006, 18:00
We live in hope!:)

myrtleman
4th Mar 2006, 09:43
I'd like some information on the show too. Not ever having been before, are the public able to attend for the whole week or only on the Saturday and Sunday?

Do we have an exact schedule for the week yet?

Is it worth attending?

Thanks
MM

BOAC
5th Mar 2006, 10:40
They have a a website with details on it.

chevvron
5th Mar 2006, 11:47
Mon 17th - Industry Day
Tue 18th - Thu 20th - Trade days
Fri 21st - Youth Day
Sat 22nd - Sun 23rd - Public Days

Public attendance definite on 22 & 23; not sure about 21; other days no.

Gulf4uk
5th Mar 2006, 16:06
HI

For how to travel to the show locally and parking and maps
and loads more info go to Google and enter RUSHMOOR COUNCIL
The area website is there to help you Enjoy the show

Tony
farnborough

Tacitus
26th Mar 2006, 09:19
Does anyone have any info for Farnborough ? I.e. how to get there , accomodation and tickets ? Thanks in advance

wub
26th Mar 2006, 09:32
See this website
http://www.farnborough.com/

QWERTY9
26th Mar 2006, 11:33
Farnborough doesn't do 'attractions'. The manufacturers save them for the real trade show at Paris !

Farnborough is a poor excuse for an airshow. Overpriced, overated and lacking. Most manufacturers tend to pull their aircraft out prior to the public days even though they are supposed to stay til the event closes.

Oshkosh George
26th Mar 2006, 13:31
Possibly 2x MV-22 Ospreys,as they are confirmed for RIAT Fairford the week before.

Gulf4uk
26th Mar 2006, 20:36
hi

yes there are Attractions at Farnborough its called spot the lost US Bomber
mind you the suggestion has been raised and i would like comments on
visibity "IE could the yanks actaully see this" to paint a large red arrow on
the Car auctions roof at Blackbushe pointing to FAB with the words Farnborough this way in large Flashing letters . as for rest of show
well farnborough is farnborough a few jars in the Swan starts off a typical
farnborough day and usualy ends it so some stuff gets pulled so what who
cares we all all know its going to happen but we are still there . ive not missed a farnborough show since early 1960 i miss the Sep shows with the
MONSOON Thunderstorms but all i say is roll on JULY2006

Tony
farnborough LOCAL

chevvron
6th Apr 2006, 18:13
It works the other way too. Years ago they were filming 'Eye of the Needle' at Blackbushe. They had the words 'Fluhghafen Ostofen' or something painted on the roof of the terminal facing the airfield. Old Reg the FISO was downstairs having his lunch when he happened to look out and see a non Blackbushe based aircraft execute a go-around and disappear, presumably because there was no reply on the RTF, and the aforementioned sign on the terminal. Reg was naturally a bit peeved about losing a landing fee.
By the way disregard Gulf4uk's remarks about the navigational abilities of USAF pilots; the reason for the B52 missing Farnborough was totally different (and quite simple) and was easily remedied.

Gulf4uk
6th Apr 2006, 19:43
"By the way disregard Gulf4uk's remarks about the navigational abilities of USAF pilots; the reason for the B52 missing Farnborough was totally different (and quite simple) and was easily remedied.
OK Disregard my comments which were lighthearted anyway come on now
this is not the first time this has occured and it made all the Papers
TV , RADIO biggest laugh for Years .
but perhaps its not a laughing matter so forget it untill it happens again
maybe this Year then we can all laugh again cos we all Will unless thats
not allowed by then :\ :{ :(
feeling Gloomy
Tony

Gulf4uk
7th Apr 2006, 07:35
hi

appolagys for any offence none was meant . just enjoy the show
whatever . its a great one despite the knockers and nimbys who really
get to me . perhaps its me getting old

Tony

EI-MICK
8th Apr 2006, 09:40
hi,is heathrow the nearest airport to farnborough to fly into from cork????
thanks

mocoman
8th Apr 2006, 09:53
As the crow flies Heathrow is closest, although you may want to look into flying into Southampton if it is possible.

Unless you are going to rent a car at Heathrow it might be a lot easier to get to Farnborough from Soton since there is a direct train link rather than either trekking into Central London to get to Waterloo or braving the Heathrow-Woking coach link.

Edit to Add:
Gatwick may also work better for you as well since there is a rail link that will easily allow you to go Gatwick-North Farnborough/North Camp station

EI-MICK
8th Apr 2006, 13:00
Thanks very much for that.

Gulf4uk
8th Apr 2006, 21:09
hi

if you come to Farnborough MAIN station outside there is usually a shuttle
bus Service direct to the field and back after . Taxi during the show is more expensive than normal. a walk from either station will take about 30mins along
the A325 .as you get to Near the airfield you will see the swan hotel inside are pictures of farnborough past next to that is the F.A.S.T museum loads of
exhibits outside that can be viewed although i dont think its allowed to
open during the show period but most can be viewed from the road side
Well worth a look .

Tony

chevvron
10th Apr 2006, 07:02
EI-MICK: depends if you are flying scheduled or private. Southampton best if scheduled; if private try to book a slot with TAG to land at Farnborough (no arrivals/deps during flying display though), but depending on type (if light a/c) they may suggest Blackbushe as they prefer to reserve Farnborough slots for bizjets etc.

EI-MICK
10th Apr 2006, 09:48
flying scheduled,id say it will be cork to gatwick then catch a train,the rest of the gang will be flying from dublin.

Gulf4uk
10th Apr 2006, 10:10
hi

there are 2 possible ways of doing this . but things change

GATWICK to Clapham Jnc change Clapham to Farnborough Main

Gatwick to REDHILL Change REDHILL to Farnborough North
this is via Guildford takes lot longer

no Buses normally at Farnborough north to the show very limited
local buses.

Farnborough Main there should be Shuttle bus direct to Show
trains on main line every 20mins NORMALLY

Tony

Wycombe
10th Apr 2006, 16:16
Chevvron,

It was all far more fun when the bizzies had to go to the 'Bushe aswell (usually on a murky September morning)

Well remember the traffic being slowed on the A30 by the sight of a DA900 or similar gracing the EGLK tarmac, along with a car park full of spotters.

Gulf4uk
10th Apr 2006, 16:49
hi

and at odiham with a mixture oF Visiting MIL \Civil Farnborough based
and the BAE-SYS warton farnborough shuttle ATP G corp or BAE146 G BLRA
Fairoaks also very good at times visiting Light and Heli

happy days in the Rain \mud AND lightning
Tony

Tolsti
11th Apr 2006, 07:30
I got my subs reminder through from Airliner World yesterday and they are offering a £40.00 ticket for admission on 'Enthusiasts day' (apparently one of the trade days) with Grandstand seating and free parking.... having not been for several years is this offer worth taking up??

Gulf4uk
11th Apr 2006, 13:48
hi

dont think theres much differance apart from the crowds . less people
running around the place . the displays are the same less the usual mid\end week dropouts . whether its worth the extra dont know cant see any reason to fork out more . one thing that was said thousands less little boys collecting there free goodys well for me it been ok seeing my kidsand friends come away happy oh and yes ME as well in the early years
SAT . \SUN the kiddys are free makes sence that future scientists\pilots
etc

Tony

Oshkosh George
11th Apr 2006, 14:51
I got my subs reminder through from Airliner World yesterday and they are offering a £40.00 ticket for admission on 'Enthusiasts day' (apparently one of the trade days) with Grandstand seating and free parking.... having not been for several years is this offer worth taking up??

Don't want to put you off,but from my experience two years ago,you're wasting your money on ANY day!:*

Gulf4uk
11th Apr 2006, 15:04
HI

If you go to Farnborough just for the display then perhaps you are right
but then there is so much more. you can wander around the exhibitions
for hours ok some may feel its not relevant to most of us but chatting
to people on the stands you meet nice people interested in Aviation many keen to swap storys somtimes over a glass of somthing .
farnborough is what you make it . if you want an airshow Only Then go to RIAT or one of the other Airshows
but thousands of people go away very Happy yes you will say many dont but you get that at every Event you cannot please everyone

Tony

EI-MICK
11th Apr 2006, 17:29
thanks for the help,GATWICK to Clapham Jnc change Clapham to Farnborough Main seems to be the easiest for me,yes i intend to do the rounds and have a good peek around and take lots of photos!! there will be a few of us so a night out friday and sat is definitely on the cards.

Gulf4uk
11th Apr 2006, 19:46
HI

I Would Suggest you book ASAP If you are intending an overnight stop in
Farnborough area . will be almost impossible to find rooms for the night
locally .same with Car hire if you intend using one book ASAP .
For local info Go to google type in RUSHMOOR COUNCIL that is the local
authority website has loads of info on there. airfields at Blackbushe
Fairoaks, Lasham Would be worth a visit +several others within reach
White waltham , BIGGIN HILL , Heathrow

Tony

chevvron
12th Apr 2006, 05:58
If enthusiast's day is a weekday, don't forget there's a TOTAL BAN on under 16's on trade days; they'll get refused entry even if they have a ticket, simple as that!

Gulf4uk
12th Apr 2006, 14:13
HI

Yep thats right and that costs you an XTRA TENNER cos thats about all
differant . +a Few Exhibits that JUMP Ship friday night they cant be bothered to be there to show the TAX Paying Public you wander round the exhibition on SAT \SUN see how many stands are Deserted or packed and gone operational Reasons needed to get out there aircraft FRIDAY eve or before in some cases . JOE Public isnt interested in that anyway but many forget
we put BUMS on Seats seats mean JOBS mean Newer Aircraft more jobs about time that was remembered we pay There WAGES one way or another

Tony

chevvron
15th Apr 2006, 15:36
Taxi sharing has been approved by the local council ie Farnborough Main to the exhibition 3 quid per passenger sharing with someone you never met!

Gulf4uk
15th Apr 2006, 15:44
hi

Thats a start i suppose if you have 4 waiting and dont mind £3 but you
can wait for the shuttle Bus or Walk up personlly £6 total Is couple of
beers on the way (stop of at the Swan and refresh) chat to hundreds of
Spotters already there browse at FAST Exhibits over the fence i reckon
is the best bet .and do the same on way back stop after show for a while
miss the crowded trains into the smoke

TONY

AlanM
15th Apr 2006, 17:19
Yes, whatever happened to Odiham being used as the "VIP" bizjet airhead..... with a couple of Wessex used for transitting the pax!!??

I was in the RAF at Benson and detahced to Odiham for a show in 1988, and all the posh people used to give us in Ops the tickets that they didn't need. Even got a lift into a show by wessex.......!

Gulf4uk
15th Apr 2006, 17:28
hi

TAG are allowed to fly into FAB all through the show nothing parked on
the runway anymore so all the vips fly into the Field

EI-MICK
24th Apr 2006, 19:57
hi all,were getting around to booking flights and accomodation etc here for this,we want to stay in some hotel/guest house along the clapham jn to farnborough main rail line,maybe some town or village thats easy accessible?? any info appreciated

Wycombe
24th Apr 2006, 20:51
Have a look in Woking, Brookwood, Hook, Fleet, or maybe Basingstoke....all have stations on the same line out of London as Farnborough (Main Line) Station, and are within about 15/20 mins journey time.

mocoman
24th Apr 2006, 21:21
A couple of places to try in Fleet:

Travel Lodge on the Fleet/Cove Road
Oatsheaf Pub, used to do B&B, don't know if it still does
Lismoyne Hotel (used by some of the contractors so you may be too late).

or try one of these

http://www.hotels.uk.com/accommodation/hotels-accommodation-uk/Fleet/bed_and_breakfast_Fleet.htm

local villages you might want to google for B&B:
Crookham, Crookham Village, Dogmersfield, Cove, Frimley, Frimley Green, Mytchett, Ash, Ash Vale

Good luck

EI-MICK
25th Apr 2006, 13:20
thanks for the help,il be looking into that.

Thunderbird 3
25th Apr 2006, 15:46
Train Ex Gatwick to North Camp.
Shuttle Bus from North Camp to show 10- 15 minutes.
Need not go all the way to London then back out.

Also the bus stops right outside the station, not one there yet never mind also right outside North Camp station is the "Old Ford" pub.

Magic !!!

chornedsnorkack
20th Jun 2006, 09:49
What interesting announcements are expected at the Farnborough Airshow?

Dylan35
20th Jun 2006, 10:26
Being quite local Farnborough used to be a show I always looked forward to, however if your interested in a decent airshow as well as the numbers, save your money and go to Fairford. A shed load more numbers (4-500), a full day of flying (10-18.00) and usually a lot quicker to get in and out of, especially now!

As for the ticket price, Farnborough has become a joke, massively overpriced considering the above comments and a display line thats so far away they might as well call it the Basingstoke airshow!

Best bets, stand on the Hogs back and watch the show from a distance, go to Farn in the evenings and get the numbers on arrival or read them of from the end of the runway.

Only real highlights this year will be the A380 and the Indian stuff, IF it turns up and IT is does it shold be in Indian Air Force IL-76's (2 rumoured). The Ospreys will be at Fairford anyway, as will any B-52 or B-1 that flies over but doesn't actually visit Farn.

Save your money, just get the numbers in the week and watch from outside, I went to every show from 1980 until I gave up on the last 2...its just not worth the cash. RIAT Fairford is the way to go and put this years Farnborough money in the bank and keep it for next years Paris, a real show with 2-3 times as many aircraft and again, a whole days flying!

Cheers, D

EI-MICK
20th Jun 2006, 11:39
id prefer to see whats there and get loads of pics as well as a good weekend in london.so the price of a ticket isn't really botheing me compared to a cancelled airshow here in ireland 3 weeks ago.

Ok now i need help,were flying to gatwick on the friday,staying in the eurolodge in clapham and hoping to travel to farnborough early on the sat morning and back after the airshow,flying home sunday night,can anyone give me pointers to trains etc from gatwick to clapham and clapham to farnborough.
Thanks
PM if you want

BOAC
20th Jun 2006, 12:55
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Gulf4uk
20th Jun 2006, 14:10
hi

There always been this argument over the show content and price but ok
go stand on the Hogsback or Join the crowds at the SWAN Next to FAST
Museum loads of REAL Nice people gather there not just Spotters its always
friendly and good FOOD\BEER if you want it . Remember though during the
show the A325 Farnborough road will have a traffic system in Force and
plenty of Wardens so park in the town carparks 50P Per hour .
on the subject of the Swan , A Fathers day present a book is well worth
a read "THE FLYING COWBOY" SAMUAL CODY Britains First Airman . one bit
mentioned the Swan he climbed into his machine behind the swan took off
for a short flight of a few yards makes you think that does .loads of good reading in there and some great pictures of Farnborough , kites, balloons .
and Aircraft .another great addition to the growing List of FAB Books

Wythenhawe Spotter
21st Jun 2006, 08:05
I have heard a rummor that there will be 2x Indian Air Force IL76's in the weekend of the Fairford Airshow bringing in helecopter's
Anybody know if this will happen ?
Paul :)

Dylan35
21st Jun 2006, 08:37
Hi, dont know if the Indian Il-76's will turn up, however you are correct about the rumour!

They are supposed to be bringing in the Drew (?spelt correctly?) helicopters, however they are currently grounded due to an issue with the tail rotors so this may not happen. However the rest of the Indian displays participants will need to be shiped in also so just keep your fingers crossed.

However, IF they do turn up it does not mean they will be at RIAT!

Cheers, D

Gulf4uk
21st Jun 2006, 08:45
hi

all sorts of RUMOURS Pre Show as usual but the INDIAN Heli team is due
to take part and with the two Support Aircraft . last i heard grounded with
tech problems.
the A380 is here all week of show STATIC as well and again its been coming to fab pracaticly every day for trials Pity Airbus know nothing about
it. The 2 ospreys acorring to press release completed a long distance trail
recently Tanked as well so coming over the pond all the way , Rumour again
has it Direct to Farnborough with the tankers going on to the HALL , AGAIN
I Stress these are all rumours as usual at this time pre show best read the
show notes at Farnborough.com

Tony

chevvron
21st Jun 2006, 09:48
The A380 will NOT visit Farnborough until after 10 July due to test flying commitments.

Gulf4uk
21st Jun 2006, 09:56
The A380 will NOT visit Farnborough until after 10 July due to test flying commitments.

Thanks for that hope thats the last we hear of that Rumour . funny how
these start even though its been said many times VERY UNLIKLY but next
day you read another version . Best bet is Wait untill it happens becuse
its going to be here all Show they Say so whats the panic to see it

tony

Wythenhawe Spotter
21st Jun 2006, 14:38
Hi, dont know if the Indian Il-76's will turn up, however you are correct about the rumour!

They are supposed to be bringing in the Drew (?spelt correctly?) helicopters, however they are currently grounded due to an issue with the tail rotors so this may not happen. However the rest of the Indian displays participants will need to be shiped in also so just keep your fingers crossed.

However, IF they do turn up it does not mean they will be at RIAT!

Cheers, D

Cheers for that.
I was told that they would not be going to RIAT.
If they turned up I was planning to go before going to RIAT on the Sunday.The long way round from Manchester but worth it
Paul

scudpilot
23rd Jun 2006, 08:34
Not sure if this is old news now or not...

Saturday, 22 July 2006

TimeAircraft on Display12:30Airbus - A320 The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Airbus - A340-600 The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Airbus - A380-800 The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Hindustan Aeronautics Limited - ALH DHRUV The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Hindustan Aeronautics Limited - HJT 36 Trainer The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Typhoon The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30SAAB - Gripen . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Bell/Boeing - V-22 Osprey . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Yakovlev - Yak 130 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30US DoD - B-1B Lancer . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30MiG Corporation - MIG 29M . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Boeing - F/A-18F . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Lockheed Martin - F-16 Fighting Falcon . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Aero Vodochody - L159B . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Babcock Defence Services - Slingsby T67 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAFAT - Hawk T1A x 9 (Red Arrows) . The overall display starts at this time - this is the opening of the display12:30RAF - C130J . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Tucano T Mk 1 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Tornado GR4 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Harrier GR7 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Chinook . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Merlin . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Blue Eagles - Gazelle AM1 (4) . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Raytheon - T-6A . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Falcons . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC

Sunday, 23 July 2006

TimeAircraft on Display12:30Airbus - A320 The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Airbus - A340-600 The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Airbus - A380-800 The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Hindustan Aeronautics Limited - ALH DHRUV The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Typhoon The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30SAAB - Gripen . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Bell/Boeing - V-22 Osprey . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Finmeccanica - Aermacchi M346 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Alenia Aeronautica - C27J Spartan . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30MiG Corporation - MIG 29M . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Boeing - F/A-18F . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Lockheed Martin - F-16 Fighting Falcon . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Alenia Aeronautica - Tornado . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Babcock Defence Services - Slingsby T67 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAFAT - Hawk T1A x 9 (Red Arrows) . The overall display starts at this time - this closes the display12:30RAF - C130J . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Tucano T Mk 1 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Tornado GR4 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Harrier GR7 . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Chinook . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Merlin . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30Blue Eagles - Gazelle AM1 (4) . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC12:30RAF - Falcons . The overall display starts at this time - time of this flight TBC

chevvron
23rd Jun 2006, 09:48
Treat the above with a pinch of salt; nothing is confirmed yet especially the HAL aircraft

Curious Pax
26th Jun 2006, 11:56
I've discovered I'm going to be overnighting in the area during the middle of the week, and whilst I won't be able to get to the show an evening trip to try and get a look at the static display from a distant could be on the cards. Can someone give me some direction that would give me a chance of seeing something - from the earlier comments Hogsback sounds promising, but where is that? I'll be in a car, so also interested to hear whether there are parking issues of an evening in show week.

Gulf4uk
26th Jun 2006, 13:09
hi

Lets get the Hogs back bit out of the way first : This is the A31 Road
near Guildford with good vis you might see some of the Flying
and i say might because the display turns over the North side of the airfield so as not to infringe the crowd line . you will see nothing of the Static
To view the Static display the only real option is inside although
there are a few places on perimeter where you will see a few things
but Parking will be almost a NO GO area on foot you may be left alone
but lookout for Security checks we warned.The area suggested is on
the A325 farnborough Road from the Tech collage traffic lights past the
Swan and Fast Museum to the Bridge and main Show entrance although by
the bridge you will see very little.The spotters tend to gather at the SWAN
HOTEL Corner good landing and flyby shots can be got there and a few
things taxying about although in past years Advertising Boards have been
placed there to make things worse.There is on the Aldershot to fleet
road a turn off over the Canal eelmore bridge and this is where spotters
gather close to the 06 touchdown point parking very limited and security
checks have been made in the past caution parking on land opposite
its Army land normally no problems but in past parking resticions have
been put in place and Rigerously enforced
The A325 will have a contraflow traffic system vast areas of no parking
in side streets etc There will be carparks set up with Shuttle buses
you could park in the town center cark parks Dont forget ticket 50P hour
check Time limit of your Stay , caution charges in some apply to 2000 hours
Be cautious about parking anywhere some places charge £25 to Park and
Clampers are about plus loads of police+ Wardens

Tony

Curious Pax
26th Jun 2006, 14:50
Thanks Tony. Sounds like a 9pm visit and a bit of walking may be on the cards.

Gulf4uk
26th Jun 2006, 15:19
HI

Bit more info for you on Flying the Airfield Officially opens 0700 local
and closes 2000 but can extend up to to 2200 normally all SBAC
Flying Demos etc after the show continue up to 2000 after that only
TAG Movements somtimes occur. weekends its 0800 TO 2000 only
As in Recent years the main Runway is not closed and aircraft Parked on it after the Show it Remains open forTraffic

Tony

eglk01
26th Jun 2006, 20:48
:D hopefully we might get some trafic at the Bushe this year!!

Gulf4uk
26th Jun 2006, 21:46
hi
Yes ive spent many good show weeks at the bushe in the 60\70\80s
and fairly recent ones always worth a few hours there . not really sure
if TAG getting the use of Runway at FAB during the show has made that
much differance +RAF odiham got some of FAB Based stuff
and the BAE-SYS Shuttle ATP Remember G-CORP ATP sadly stored at Southend cos it was deemed to Noisy for FAB.
Still you do get some unexpected visiters :oh: any preferances this show for a flyby nice B1 or KC135 :O ? 777
Tony

under_exposed
27th Jun 2006, 08:05
Curious Pax, have you already sorted out accomodation? Everywhere is full!

monkeytribe
28th Jun 2006, 22:34
This is cheeky and audacious I know but, is there a chance of getting complimentary tickets from anyone/where?
As an ATPL cadet I'm absolutely stinking broke at the moment (coz of the obvious fees I've handed out) and would like to take a family member to show them what it's all about.
If anyone can help then PM me pls.
:ouch:

scudpilot
4th Jul 2006, 11:28
Hi People,
Anyone know when the "kit" starts to arrive... I am assuming that the A380 will be just be doing "flybys" anyone know for sure?

Cheers

Wycombe
4th Jul 2006, 11:37
Big Antonov on the deck at FAB now (Tues 4th, lunchtime), apparently bringing in some Indian stuff.

Gulf4uk
4th Jul 2006, 11:43
hi

Airbus +sbac has A380 STATIC +FLYING all week , 1 Support aircraft carrying show stuff arrived FAB this morning AN124 from Sharjah its not staying most aircraft should start to arrive From 10th july

Tony

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jul 2006, 11:59
Pics of today's AN-124 at: http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/c1011837.html

I just had to laugh at the plea from monkeytribe! Free Farnborough tickets are like gold dust... unless you are in the "know". As a Heathrow Air Traffic Controller I could never get a ticket - I think the whole ATC unit used to get a handful to raffle. One year a controller from another European country visited us. He was over for the show and was astounded when we said we couldn't get tickets. He produced a sheaf of them from his pocket and dished them out! Similarly, a one time neighbour of ours worked in the UK for a US airline and this guy could get as many tickets as he wanted! Sadly, none came our way! That's life..

Bren McCartney

scudpilot
4th Jul 2006, 12:27
Hi All, Anyone got any idea when the aircraft is due to depart?
Is it visible form the FAST Museum side of the airfield?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jul 2006, 12:47
It should have been well visible from the museum, but don't know if it will move...

Gulf4uk
4th Jul 2006, 12:52
HI

The only ticket you are likely to get given free is one you dont need and
will evenually cost you £ The boys in blue dish out to bad parking
etc and plenty around FAB at the moment . mind you there ok check
public weekends on traffic control many have glove puppets on SOOTY\SWEEP and friends keeps the kiddywinks amused while in 2HOUR Jams
getting out of FAB :uhoh: :mad:

Tony

BRISTOLRE
4th Jul 2006, 13:10
Hampshire's finest....

chevvron
4th Jul 2006, 13:22
An124 is parked on East Apron aka 'A' Shed tarmac and should be VERY visible from FAST; just looked and I'm surprised there's no -one there!
Will depart domali

Gulf4uk
4th Jul 2006, 13:26
HI

Yep and police units normally Surry, cornwall , devon, kent,
london and more your chance to get a uk collection going
from them keeps the locals happy getting around whats
left of the town center its still as bad as was 2004 not
much has changed execpt more trafic more emtpy shops
higher parking fees much like most of britain i expect

Tony

mocoman
4th Jul 2006, 14:15
HD,

excellent pictures! Thanks for that; as a matter of interest what time was that? I should have stayed at home for the morning I guess..:sad:

I'll bet that caused a few nervous glances skyward from the traffic on the Aldershot-Fleet road...:O

Chevvron,

any clues as to ETD tomorrow?

Wycombe
4th Jul 2006, 14:40
Well done for getting those available so quick HD :ok:

Judging by his height over the fence, I assume he used the full length and didn't land 600m in at the displaced threshold?

chevvron
4th Jul 2006, 15:57
Sorry can't give out info like that, but expect before midday.
Meanwhile Red Arrows in on friday about 1030 am for validation after midday

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jul 2006, 16:00
We took the snaps as it landed, around 10.45... 10.50ish.. (can't recall exactly).

Bren

mocoman
4th Jul 2006, 16:10
Chevvron,

totally understand.:ok:

That's general enough for me to make some absence plans...:E

I hope that "The Swan" retains its full complement of chimmney pots if still on 24's.:O

Thanks

chevvron
4th Jul 2006, 16:19
Wycombe: take a look at NOTAM C2954 for details of extended LDA

scudpilot
4th Jul 2006, 19:38
Thanks people, got a great view!
Anyone know if there is anything else due this week (apart from Friday as I am away)

Cheers

scudpilot
5th Jul 2006, 15:07
Any activity today anyone?:)

Gulf4uk
5th Jul 2006, 15:12
HI

No SBAC Activity known at FAB only the AN124 Departing at 0917
its cargo 3 heli and 2 trainers are around the West 1 apron last
i heard .

TONY

Gulf4uk
6th Jul 2006, 13:47
HI

Signs going up for towaway zones around most of the airport from
10th - 26th July so be careful where you stop even for few Secs

Tony:*

Bumpy up here
7th Jul 2006, 12:10
Chevvron4 - you're information was very accurate - Red Arrows validation took place, in the rain, at Midday.

They still stop all the traffic.

Thanks for the heads up - if you get any more on next week's likely movements, be sure to post them here.

Thanks.

Gulf4uk
7th Jul 2006, 18:41
hi

In the very heavy Rain at FAB it was a good display from the REDS as
Always , departed the field at 1559 local. nothing Else in today for
the show. More parking restriction signs up all around FAB come into force
on the 10th the area will be crawling with police .
more news on FAB which if built will ease the Accomadation situation
for 2008 show TAG have applied for permission to build a large hotel
complex on the old officers mess site adjacent to the A325

Tony

Flightman
7th Jul 2006, 18:52
My wife too our 2 daughters ( aged 3 and 7 ) bowling in Farnborough today. They saw the entire display from the car park opposite the council offices.
7 year old loved it. 3 year old was alternating every 5 seconds from " Ooo scary to Oooo airplanes!"

Ina similar vein, I took my eldest to see one of Concordes last departures. We'd been around Hatton Cross for 3 hours, as the plane had gone tech. My daughter, she must have been 4 or 4 at the time was getting a bit bored of Airbus's and Boeings, when we heard the roar of those 4 great engines. The sun was just setting on the horizon, as she climbed out, and appeared above the perimeter fence. I don't know the height over Hatton Cross, but it must have been 600ft or less, the pressure waves on our chests, the noise ringing in our ears. As she climed away and banked right I looked at my daughter, who was on my shoulder. She was in tears. "Whats up baby" I said, thinkign she's been scared. She looked at me and said, with a smile " Beautiful"

Nothing like the reaction of a child to make you realise how amazing an aircraft in flight truly is.

eglk01
7th Jul 2006, 18:57
NETJETS Hotel here we come!! this year looks a good one apart from
no where to view photograph from grr Even workin in the industry no
chance of Trade Tickets these days why poxy signs from 10-26th thats
just beng overkill,bout time proper viewing area with toilets e.t.c.,out of
way from Terminal,somewhere people spotting,fishing could go Eeelmoor
bridge would be a great area,cant ever see it happning though.
j.:*

Gulf4uk
7th Jul 2006, 19:05
hi

posted by a Farnborough group member so all take notice at the only
good Vantage place left for Spotters

------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE:The police have banned parking at Eelmoor from July 10th - July 26th
incl.
------------------------------------------------------------
as for Viewing area etc there is more chance of Elvis riding Shergah
out of a C17 hold than that happening .

Concorde should have been retired to FAB and Taxyable at Showtime
trouble is it still would have STOLEN the Show .
tony

scudpilot
10th Jul 2006, 11:05
Anyone seen any movements today?
I think someone said further up the thread that arrivals were expected from the 10th onwards?

Gulf4uk
10th Jul 2006, 11:09
HI

Nothing so Far apart From a helicopter departed one of the
ones that came in on the an124

Tony

chevvron
10th Jul 2006, 12:10
Parking bans are mainly for security purposes, rather than to deliberately annoy enthusiasts.
Mig 29 arriving later today.

scudpilot
10th Jul 2006, 17:46
Have the Mig's arrived yet? If not, anyone got an ETA?

Wycombe
10th Jul 2006, 19:23
Sounds quite busy this evening (Mon), some US Mil stuff doing SRA's?

Gulf4uk
10th Jul 2006, 21:04
HI

C130 Arrived OTIS 88 165737

Osprey arrived STORM 82 166391
Osprey STORM 81 Failed is now due 11th around 1730

2 F18 arrived 2008 TREND 67\68 to dark to note serials

1 MIG 29 MIG 9181 OVT-156

1 AN32 MIG 9183 48119

-------------------------------------
TONY

eglk01
10th Jul 2006, 21:05
seen tonight.
48119 AN32 Russain Air Force? nightstopping.
166673 F18F ARR.
???134/NJ F18F ARR.
166391 MV22 STORM82 ARRIVE Other tech in Iceland.
165737/BH KC130J OTIS88 ARRIVE.

Cheers
Jamie.

TCTC
11th Jul 2006, 16:13
Hi all,

does anyone know good viewing points to stand, during the public display, without having to pay to go in??!

In the good old days, I could stand at the up-wind threshold of Rway 24 without being disturbed - is that still possible?

(I'll be pedestrian, so no car to park).

Cheers all,

Tim

Gulf4uk
11th Jul 2006, 16:19
hi

The place i can suggest is by the FAST MUSEUM and the Swan
Hotel A325 Farnborough road all incoming fly over the Swan .

Tony

SonicTPA
11th Jul 2006, 16:49
Here's a picture of a V22 at Farnborough. There should be another one coming to replace the one that ended up at Keflavik.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h234/sonictpa/DSCN0587.jpg

irish485
11th Jul 2006, 17:45
Anyone seen any movements today?
I think someone said further up the thread that arrivals were expected from the 10th onwards?

Plenty of Activity today. US Aircraft practising most of the afternoon. You never get bored of hearing that sound.

As for anyone looking for a good place to watch, try heading for Tweseldown horse racing track. Just round the corner from there, there is a pub (can't remember what it's called). You can park in there and it's a five minute walk through the woods opposite to get to the top of the hill opposite the end of the runway. It's about a 1/4 of a mile from the end but most aircraft seem to be doing there turns over the top of this hill. I will try and get a grid for you tomorrow. I hope this helps.

Chris.

Fitbin
11th Jul 2006, 17:51
There's a good rumour that the new R1 Sentinel is going to show up for a while. Static display only, or so the story goes.

Gulf4uk
11th Jul 2006, 19:31
HI

Arrived at 1950 local as REACH 909 C17 Believed to be 04-4134

Tony

Evvy
12th Jul 2006, 09:05
Was airside at Farnborough yesterday and there was plenty of action. The F16, F18, Mig 29's and Merlin were very impressive.

A lot of aircraft movement and practice through till 1700.

No sign of the 380 though

mocoman
12th Jul 2006, 09:47
does anyone know good viewing points to stand

At the roundabout with the Whittle sculpture on it; just down the road from the Monkey Puzzle, next to the golf course....:ok:

chevvron
12th Jul 2006, 09:56
Plenty of places to park in Southwood.

irish485
12th Jul 2006, 12:54
Does anyone know when the a380 is due to arrive? I am fed up of rushing to my back door every time i hear something flying over.

chevvron
12th Jul 2006, 13:13
All I can say is don't expect it before 'the weekend'; all examples flying so far are tied up in the test programme until then. Fairford might also be lucky.

Gulf4uk
12th Jul 2006, 18:55
HI

Yes the rumours were all Round FAB today even the bar staff at the Swan
were saying it was today , Best guess i have all being well Sunday morn
the 16TH F-WWOW With the A340 arround 1130

Tony

irish485
12th Jul 2006, 19:07
HI

Yes the rumours were all Round FAB today even the bar staff at the Swan
were saying it was today , Best guess i have all being well Sunday morn
the 16TH F-WWOW With the A340 arround 1130

Tony

I didn't see anything today so fingers crossed for Sunday. Cheers.

chevvron
13th Jul 2006, 11:37
All I can say is nearly right (not 1130)

panda-k-bear
13th Jul 2006, 11:40
Understand F-WWOW set to depart Toulouse at about 11.30 local. Should put her in Farnborough at a little after midday-ish U.K time unless she is going to do a few trials whilst airborne.

chevvron
14th Jul 2006, 09:49
It will be earlier than that! Not now going to Fairford.

Buzz1981
14th Jul 2006, 11:09
I work for a company that is on the perimeter of farnborough airfield that is right at the end of the runway. If any one knows when the airbus is coming in and/or when it will be doing its air display would be grateful for the info. I would be able to get a great shot of it landing!

I will takes pictures and post them if I catch it!!!!

Thanks

batfink2
14th Jul 2006, 16:29
Does anybody know the status of the second Osprey (which I'm assuming is still residing in Sunny Iceland)?

chevvron
14th Jul 2006, 17:11
No it arrived yesterday 13th.

point5
14th Jul 2006, 17:32
Anyone know what frequencies are used during the airshow?
Cheers!

CDG1
14th Jul 2006, 20:54
If any one has a Scanner

Farnborough

Tower 127.825
Ground 123.050
Approach 134.350

I got this information from the Concordesst forums. I hope this is what yoiu are looking for.

Anyone know what frequencies are used during the airshow?
Cheers!

EGLF_base
14th Jul 2006, 22:48
ok ok so not the one we are all waiting for but the A340 should arrive tomorrow around 09:30 local time. F-WWCA is the reg.

:8

Flightman
15th Jul 2006, 08:32
ok ok so not the one we are all waiting for but the A340 should arrive tomorrow around 09:30 local time. F-WWCA is the reg.

:8

Hi EGLF. My 7 year old daughter is desperate to see the A380, so if you get a heads up on its arrival time, please post. :ok:

We live a couple of miles away so our bikes are poised and ready to go! :ok:

Ta.

EGLF_base
15th Jul 2006, 09:53
Right so here it is - the news youve all been waiting for...

A380 is due to leave TLS at 0730UTC (0930 French Local/0830 British Local) on Sunday and due into Farnborough at 0900UTC (1000 British Local).

Women and children first, no pushing please...

irish485
15th Jul 2006, 10:24

A380 is due to leave TLS at 0730UTC (0930 French Local/0830 British Local) on Sunday and due into Farnborough at 0900UTC (1000 British Local).

How certain are you of these timings. This is the third different timings we have had this week.

Gulf4uk
15th Jul 2006, 11:40
HI

F-WWCA Airbus A340-600 Arrived at FAB 0815Z AIB360
From TLS

did a validation flight at 1035z

VT-KFL A320 Kingfisher Arrived arround 0940z
delivery TLS-ZRH 08 - jul06 F-WWDJ

Tony

GK430
15th Jul 2006, 13:10
If only 24 had been in use y'day. This east wind looks set to stick around:ugh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/E-JETS.jpg

EGLF_base
15th Jul 2006, 13:45
How certain are you of these timings. This is the third different timings we have had this week.

Certain - im looking at their flight plan right now... (unless of course they delay their departure from TLS)

irish485
15th Jul 2006, 14:02
Certain - im looking at their flight plan right now... (unless of course they delay their departure fro.m TLS)

Can you send us a link to it?

EGLF_base
15th Jul 2006, 14:56
Can you send us a link to it?

Not really - its in a protected application of the Eurocontrol System.

All i can tell you is the callsign is AIB301 and it's filed from LFBO at 0730UTC and ETA of EGLF at 0901UTC (if we are being exact about it!)

I dont think its adviseable to post the ATC routing, but it will follow a standard arrival to FAB from SAM.

irish485
15th Jul 2006, 15:10

All i can tell you is the callsign is AIB301 and it's filed from LFBO at 0730UTC and ETA of EGLF at 0901UTC (if we are being exact about it!)

I dont think its adviseable to post the ATC routing, but it will follow a standard arrival to FAB from SAM.

cheers mate

Flightman
15th Jul 2006, 17:20

Right, I'm off to oil my chain! :ok:

Thanks.

dme4ils
16th Jul 2006, 06:55
Originally Posted by EGLF_base
At least this means I wont have to work the lumbering beast inbound, only during the displays! :E

EGLF_base
16th Jul 2006, 07:49

Tis on its way. Airbourne at 07:44 UTC ETA 09:03 UTC.

See you lot down at the fence!!

irish485
16th Jul 2006, 09:29
Tis on its way. Airbourne at 07:44 UTC ETA 09:03 UTC.

See you lot down at the fence!!

Is it in yet? I have'nt seen it.

snowtopmountain
16th Jul 2006, 09:51
The A380 landed at Farnborough at about 10:00am. Unfortunately it landed from the Fleet end of the runway which mean't that those of us standing outside the Swan pub got to see it from a distance once it reached the end of the runway!

On the upside: At least its sunny so I can work in the garden for the rest of the day and hopefully catch the validation display. :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jul 2006, 09:53
Snowtopmountain.. Ahh you have to be on the ball! Pics I took of it approaching 06 are at: http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/c1011837.html

Bren

EGLF_base
16th Jul 2006, 10:32
On the upside: At least its sunny so I can work in the garden for the rest of the day and hopefully catch the validation display. :)

Validation coming up at 12:00 noon.

snowtopmountain
16th Jul 2006, 11:17
Excellent validation display from the A380. The aircraft noise was much lower than I expected in the climb, and I was not expecting it to be noisy.

Looking forward to what should be a great show.

irish485
16th Jul 2006, 11:33
Validation coming up at 12:00 noon.

Fantastic validation, cheers for the info.

SonicTPA
16th Jul 2006, 16:53
So that's why I couldn't use ATC 1 to get to the Swearingen SJ30.

AlanM
16th Jul 2006, 18:28
I promise you that I didn't take the car up to the tower balcony! :ok:

PPRuNe Radar
16th Jul 2006, 20:36
So that's why I couldn't use ATC 1 to get to the Swearingen SJ30.

Did he break his speed record ?? Or was his 'No delay please. Record attempt.' on the Flight Plan just a ruse to fool those TC boys ?? ;)

Dhruv
17th Jul 2006, 13:34
How was the Dhruv and the HAL IJT-36. How many Dhruv participated and are they from the Sarang Display Team? Anyone has any information about it and especially the Photographs of the IJT and Dhruv. If you have them please post it here.

EIDW Spotter
17th Jul 2006, 13:43
Does anyone know if there is to be a militarised version of the AW139 on static display this week?

Bumpy up here
17th Jul 2006, 20:56
Alan, those look as if they were taken from the control tower ? Were they ? Fantastic pics, thanks for posting them. :ok: :D

AlanM
17th Jul 2006, 21:22
Yes - they were - and you are very welcome :)

SonicTPA
17th Jul 2006, 21:39
Did he break his speed record ?? Or was his 'No delay please. Record attempt.' on the Flight Plan just a ruse to fool those TC boys ?? ;)

We had a fax sent to us, and we had to fill it in with the landing time (down to the second). It also had a section to be filled out for a time over EGLF at FL300. The pilot said he didn't have enough fuel to do that, so he didn't try, luckily!

It turns out they already had the record, and they were sent Northabout because they don't have HF, which means they might not have beaten it.

Still, we sent the fax off - we'll have to check the Guinness book of records later!

PPRuNe Pop
17th Jul 2006, 21:45
SONIC TPA!

Please re-size your picture to a maximum of 800x600. This avoids it going off the page or distorting the narratives - good though the picture is.

Thanks,

PPP

Dhruv
18th Jul 2006, 03:09
Nice cool pics:ok:
Thank you

Articles on Dhruv
HAL’s Dhruv shows solid performance
http://www.ainonline.com/Publications/farn/farn_06/dhruv_27.htm

HAL and IAI combine talent on Dhruv
http://www.ainonline.com/Publications/paris/2005/Paris_day_02/paris_2_hal_53.html

IAF pilots to evaluate Boeing's F-18 warplanes
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1767418.cms

under_exposed
18th Jul 2006, 12:17
If travelling by train be aware that the RMT are on strike midday Friday to midday Saturday.

Bartender
18th Jul 2006, 13:39
If travelling by train be aware that the RMT are on strike midday Friday to midday Saturday.

Just heard that from the National Rail 'help'line :ugh:

We were thinking of visiting on Saturday. How's the road traffic usually around the show? Is it heavy, is there a lot of queuing and what are the arrangements about parking?

Also, we were planning on getting tickets for the show from the train at the train operator's slightly discounted price. Is it now better to order some online or to pay at the gate?

Thanks.
Huw

chevvron
18th Jul 2006, 14:25
Do NOT come by road unless you know local rat runs.
If you pay at the gate it will be more expensive, was the rail operator offering an all in one package? If so best to get the tickets on the net.

Aelfric
18th Jul 2006, 17:28
May well be coming down on the motorbike on Sunday, anyone recommend a good free viewing point ? Thanks.

EI-MICK
18th Jul 2006, 17:29
i think the rail strike will screw me,hope theres something available,i presume getting to clapham from gatwick should be no problem on friday but getting from clapham to farnborough saturday sounds like a nightmare with the strike.

Gulf4uk
18th Jul 2006, 20:07
rail news
--------------------------------------

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/Aboutus/News/_Advicenottotravel21and22july.htm
--------------------------------------

HI Copy all the link and read Carefully.

ok the Traffic Saturday and Sunday will be heavy more so with the strike
so i would Suggest you leave an XTRA Hour if you must come by road
the police have things running Well but it will be slow so stay cool
listen to Airshow radio 108.6 http://www.farnboroughairshowradio.co.uk/
for traffic info or BBC Southern countys radio \ the Eagle 96.4
The BUS Lanes are still being used but vehicles 8 SEATS or over may
use them. Town center carparks are avail but all PAY perhour unless
you know the area its best not to deviate from Route .its not that bad
if you Follow the police directions and signs . Hope you all enjoy
the Show this weekend so far its been Brilliant

jestersapprentice
18th Jul 2006, 20:51
Anyone know what the actual display frequency is? It doesn't seem to be any of those commonly allocated. Or can anyone explain why it's being kept somewhat secret - the frequency isn't being read out explicitly when aircraft are handed from ground to display, the instruction given is simply "monitor display frequency". This differs to previous years. Working in buidlings on the North side of the airfield, display and ground are always the best frequencies to monitor to know what's flying next.

If any one has a Scanner

Farnborough

Tower 127.825
Ground 123.050
Approach 134.350

I got this information from the Concordesst forums. I hope this is what yoiu are looking for.

Bartender
18th Jul 2006, 22:13
Do NOT come by road unless you know local rat runs.
If you pay at the gate it will be more expensive, was the rail operator offering an all in one package? If so best to get the tickets on the net.

Thanks. Yes South West Trains offer entry to the show for £24-50 when bought with a train ticket instead of the regular £27.

Will the shuttle buses from Farnbourough Main Station still be running on Saturday alongside the skeleton rail service?

Can anyone offer any alternative means to get to the show apart from by train or car? We're going to be staying in Red Hill, just within the M25 to the South West of London. It's probably best to leave it for the Saturday and go on the Sunday instead now though.

Huw

sk61bulldog
18th Jul 2006, 22:20
Does anyone know whether it is possible to visit the show on one of the weekdays? I'm working Saturday/Sunday but I have tomorrow (Wednesday) off. If it's not possible to buy a ticket to enter the area, are there any good viewing points nearby?

AlanM
19th Jul 2006, 08:06
A few from G-GUST - Tuesday morning

Anyone get any pics of us?!!? :)

http://www.pbase.com/kbmphotography/image/63759595/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/kbmphotography/image/63759596/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/kbmphotography/image/63759597/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/kbmphotography/image/63759598/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/kbmphotography/image/63759599/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/kbmphotography/image/63759600/original.jpg

chevvron
19th Jul 2006, 08:48
Display frequency is not published for security reasons; this has been done for the last 3 shows at least. No-one except ATC/Flying Control Committee/pilots has the need to know anyway.
It's all too easy for someone to buy an ICOM or similar nowadays and unlawfully transmit on any frequency, thus blocking it for essential messages; the Mig 29 collision at Fairford was part attributed to the frequency in use being congested with non-display traffic, hence Farnborough use different frequencies for display and tower.

lesarcs1
19th Jul 2006, 11:15
The rail strike is called off for this Friday / Saturday

EI-MICK
19th Jul 2006, 11:42
really?? thats great news especially for people like travelling from abroad not having a clue otherwise!!!

lesarcs1
19th Jul 2006, 11:47
Yes, hopefully it also applies to SouthWest trains who operate between London-Farnborough - I understand theirs was a seperate dispute about getting taxis into work. :hmm: The rest of the rail network will be running as usual (according to a friend who works in the rail industry)

Gulf4uk
19th Jul 2006, 14:34
hi

South west Trains are Saying the strike is off normal service + additional
trains to Farnborough . All the Basinstoke service will have longer trains
some trains from west country will also Stop at farnborough
Road situation is pretty good traffic flowed ok this morning and
as a resident i drove to Aldershot and back around 1200 no delays
at all but i would suggest coming early real early is best. Temp
is in 90S Here at moment display on time by look of it
and real good but think of yourselfs and children with you cover up
make sure all have hats on plenty of Water \drinks .allow
XTRA time to do Everything in this heat

ENJOY

Tony

Flaps ten please
19th Jul 2006, 15:18
I was at the show on Monday, parked up at Queens Parade car park & caught courtesy bus to Gate A (next to Swan pub) I already had my ticket.
Then queued for over an hour to shuffle through the security checks. Organisation was a complete disgrace, the worst I have ever known at an airshow. 4 detector gates on the left-hand entrance, with only 1 staffed & open for use. It took me longer to get from my car into the show than it did to drive up from Bournemouth!
We were only there for our own general interest, god knows how the business types thought and how much trade they lost waiting to get in.

chevvron
19th Jul 2006, 15:40
M3 west bound very slow moving from J3 (Lightwater) to J4 (Farnborough) both today and yesterday between 0915 and 0945. This will be worse at the weekend of course.
Temp presently +35 (officially) but peaked at +36.2!

ChocksAwayUK
19th Jul 2006, 17:22
Anyone know if it's a more painless (in terms of Westbound M3 and walking through gates etc) process to arrive an hour or so after opening time, rather than at 9.30. Specifically tomorrow.

bakerpictures
19th Jul 2006, 21:26
I arrived at 7.30 on Monday and walked straight through security though quite what 11.00 tomorrow will be like .. ?
I thought you also might like to know the Reds will be flying in formation with the A380 at 15.32 right before their display 5 minutes later. (Info from http://www.farnborough.com/aircraft/daily.asp?day=20)
I don't know if the next part of my post contravenes mods rules but here goes anyway! - the Reds and I will also be signing copies of my book about them recently which is on sale at the Red Arrows Club trailer, currently just behind the EVA 777. We will be there at 13.30.
Apologies mods if I have indeed stepped on toes.
Enjoy the weekend, folks.
Richard Baker.
www.bakerpictures.com

GullWing
19th Jul 2006, 21:47
Can anyone tell me what the big grey kite shape is next to the c-17 in AlanM's photos?

Just curious :)

GullWing

mocoman
20th Jul 2006, 02:12
All I can say is.....

http://evvivasystems.co.uk/images/A380-WWOW.jpg

Shame the Mig is not flying on Thurs...:E

V. Nice photies AlanM :D , I'm shooting from a mobile-only so far but about to change since I've now picked my spots and want to take pictures....

And the weather now looks good for the weekend too! What more could a sad spotter ask for...:p

Note to mocoman and others: we do not accept 'copy protected' picures in PPRune. Anything placed here is for general use. By all means put your 'name' across the picture or in the post but ANY link to anything 'commercial' wll be removed.

Understood, anything I put here is freeware. I have no problem with that...

AlanM
20th Jul 2006, 05:24
....this help!?!?!

http://www.pbase.com/kbmphotography/image/63761093/original.jpg

BRISTOLRE
20th Jul 2006, 08:31
BBC reporting that all the airconditioning packed up at 1500hrs yesterday due to an overload on the power generators on site. Well it was a record breaking day for heat in the South yesterday! Airline execs on 6 & 7 figure salaries were reported sipping tepid glasses of diet coke and fanning themselves with show programmes!!

chevvron
20th Jul 2006, 10:33
What not Pimms? What was in the coke?

ALLDAYDELI
20th Jul 2006, 11:21
Air Con failure, I make it PIMMS O'CLOCK (Three o clock)

chevvron
20th Jul 2006, 11:29
Just a point of interest, but Farnborough has now scored more A380 movements than Heathrow, or any other UK airport for that matter, and Farnborough still holds the record for An225 movements in the UK.

brockenspectre
20th Jul 2006, 18:02
Does anyone know if it is possible that the A380 was heading eastwards overhead south-east London/Kent yesterday evening about 6pm? I was walking my dog in one of the parks here in Beckenham, heard an engine sound I didn't recognise and saw a shape in the sky I hadn't seen before - too "small" (?due altitude) and wrong wings for a 747 (the a/c was directly overhead) and it was making steady progress as opposed to a climb ... made me wonder if it was the A380, maybe around 6000'? I know ground/air perception is skewed but there was something way different about the aircraft I saw!! Engine sound was lower-toned and less whiney than a 747 too :ok:

Thanks to anyone who can help!

GullWing
20th Jul 2006, 19:09
Can anyone tell me what the big grey kite shape is next to the c-17 in AlanM's photos?

...what, nobody?! Call yourselves spotters! hehehe :p

Gulf4uk
20th Jul 2006, 19:28
HI

Err no it was back on the ground before then. Went for a JOLLY around
1415 then its display , met the Arrows did a fly by went off again for
a jolly landing back a bit later. was seen over Dunsfold with the Reds
where else not sure

NASTY rumour going about A380\340 going Home friday Morn 0830
hope thats all it is But given past Shows the Friday rush to leave
might be happening again

Tony

Flaps ten please
20th Jul 2006, 20:11
Gullwing:

I believe it is the BAE Systems Raven UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) from which has emerged the stealthy Corax UAV used for Intelligence Surveillance, Target Acquisition & Reconnaissance.

Gulf4uk
20th Jul 2006, 20:18
...what, nobody?! Call yourselves spotters! hehehe :p

HI

Hardly a thing the Average Spotter is going to see at the Row is it now ?
The average spotter is not into UAVs perhaps they are ?

Tony

MFFA938
20th Jul 2006, 21:14
Air Con failure, I make it PIMMS O'CLOCK (Three o clock)

In fact the generator caught fire by Hall 1, i was on our stand when it went, no lights, no aircon - absolute murder it was, so i toddled off to our chalet, and that was no better tbh

G-CPTN
20th Jul 2006, 23:42
So come on - who's got the most hours on UAVs?

G-CPTN
21st Jul 2006, 01:48
MiG stunt pilot wows Farnborough
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/07/20/fboro.mig/index.html

vapilot2004
21st Jul 2006, 03:51
Nice shots and video of the RAF Red Arrows flying their Hawks in formation with the ! A380 ! :ok:

Edit: Bad link. PPP

PPRuNe Radar
21st Jul 2006, 06:55
and Farnborough still holds the record for An225 movements in the UK

I bet London Area Control Centre actually hold that record ;)

Gonzo
21st Jul 2006, 08:00
Now come on Mr. Radar, we should let the small fry have their fifteen minutes! :E

chevvron
21st Jul 2006, 09:52
Talking a about airfield movements Prune R ie a takeoff or a landing.

VP8
21st Jul 2006, 10:25
Farnborough still holds the record for An225 movements in the UK.
What about PIK (twice possibly three) and EMA/MAn (once)

Or are you counting the displays as well for movements :)

VEEPS:E

chevvron
21st Jul 2006, 11:27
I say again, takeoff and landing.

VP8
21st Jul 2006, 12:38
Cheers Chevron :ok:

Do you remember when the beast first came to Farnborough one of the national papers had a picture of him flying over the Swan pub I think, been trying to trace it for years!!

VEEPS

chevvron
21st Jul 2006, 13:12
It was either '90 or '92, most likely the latter. As far as I recall, he did an initial landing, then a validation flight, then 3 or possibly 4 actual displays; didn't display every day 'cos they couldn't afford the fuel, in spite of BAe offering to pay for it.
A (now retired) controller had a mate in the pub and phoned him with a 10mile check; kept him in beer for a fortnight!

leesomerston
21st Jul 2006, 19:23
Can anyone tell me - there were rumours of the 380/340 leaving today and not displaying over the weekend.

Have the Airbuses gone or are they still around for the weekend display.

This was going to be the highlight of my weekend as I havent seen the 380 yet.

Cheers Lee

chevvron
22nd Jul 2006, 09:57
Both are presently down to display both days.

homesick rae
22nd Jul 2006, 14:58
Did anybody feel that the organisation was pretty poor this year?

Transport was a shambles for one.

Also, they did not give a hoot if you were a trade visitor or not and did not log any details at all!

Correct me if I am wrong but usually all the trade visitors details are logged in the computer and a pass printed out...this is a security measure and is also used for marketing purposes.

Maybe it was the searing Serengetti like heat?

Ho hum..

mickrobbo
22nd Jul 2006, 19:01
The 380 was up in the rain/thunder today displaying.

Gulf4uk
22nd Jul 2006, 19:33
hi

Shame the Storm appeared although i think only hit Farnborough lightly
there seemed on the live Storm website to be more to the West of FAB
Still no Help to spectaters was it you cant judge these things
in July . the OLD Date in SEP You could almost expect it to poor
ive stood around in Mud \sleet\lightning \and gales but its no help
like to today with kiddys there no Macs and very little cover just dive
into the Exhibition . Few items cancelled most made it ok if on
Flat display untill later on when full display resumed. the Airbusses
flew as said through the worst of it So did the Arrows

TONY

newswatcher
23rd Jul 2006, 20:52
Rain just managed to hold off, just a few spots during early PM. Mig display outstanding, Hornet pretty good too. Glider doing rolls at end of tow was different! A380 definitely there, or else very large hologram above Farnborough! :D
Agree with "Flaps Ten", security appalling. :mad: 5/6 walkthrough detectors, one scanner. Pot luck which you used. Cursory inspection of packages containing "folding chairs", camera tripods, cold drinks etc. Good thing Hezbollah otherwise occupied.

Gulf4uk
23rd Jul 2006, 21:03
hi

all this Talk of security Failure Baffles me .? there was a very big crowd
there today and to search everyone would have been hilarious to say
the least. I arrived at 0930 Local walked to security check was very politely
waved through After ticket check i had Food cool bag with me and
my Camera bag this was not cheked but then all who were carring large
Cases \bags\tents "YES there were tents put up " were checked . Also
some people were Randomly picked out and searched there were no hold
ups or arguments everything went smoothly which made a change from
2002\2004 show . police were plenty in evidence on the show ground
i saw no problems . its all praise for adopting this approach rather than
the Panic stricken Security reds under beds everyone is a threat which
there not . I repeat WELL DONE SBAC\POLICE\SECURITY for getting
it right

Tony

apaddyinuk
23rd Jul 2006, 21:14
Hey RAE...Hope your well.
Cant speak regarding the trade days as I missed them this time round but I did go today on the open day. I was rather shocked to see that they were just waving everyone through the security check points without scanning any bags or visitors.
The air show display was far better this year then last time but I did find that the organisation of the trade stalls was rather cramped and I fear a slight safety issue may be present should anything unfortunate happen which thankfully it didnt.

Must admit though, Airbus but on a great show with the A340-600 and the A380. Very impressive :D

EGKK931
24th Jul 2006, 08:02
apaddyinuk,
What time did you arrive?
When I arrived around 10am all the security check points were operational and scanners etc. I did leave at around 2pm and walked back through security to see it was somewhat much more relaxed :confused:

There were plenty of police some armed inside.

ALLDAYDELI
24th Jul 2006, 10:38
Did anyone notice the 2x armed Hants Police closely guarding the Osprey Tiltrotor? Someone seemed very paranoid about protecting that particular aircraft.

I had a trade ticket last week, and it wasnt taken off of me, nor was another printed and given to me which I thought was strange..!!!.. In 2004, I was given a laser printed trade ticket to pin to your jacket/go around your neck kind of thing.

The security on that day in 2004 was humourous, such a crowd of "suits" had backlogged into a huge queue tailing right throught the "bus station" - waiting to get in. This is one of key entrances, and at 0900hrs it was packed of exhibitors and trade vistors. There were lots of pushing shoving and jostling so guess what happened, they just opened the security barriers and let everyone surge right in...!!..

Travel this year seemed to be well organised. At least there was no rail strike on, that would have been bad. Car park shuttles, local shuttle buses and inter-exhibition buses all seemed well turned out and organised. Pleanty of service buses connecting the show with other towns, Heathrow and Central London.

I feel the 2006 air display was poor. The A340 and A380 were the best for me, as for the rest I found it lacking in 'oomph. Previous years of civilian flybys (SAA B744 & CX B744) were great. That said it was uncomfortably HOT out there this year.

Thunderbird 3
24th Jul 2006, 10:57
On Sunday the commentator mentioned 3 times that during the week 30million dollars of business had been transacted.

So EK buying 10 x B747-800 freighters for a reported 3.3 billion dollars was actually bought at very discounted figure.

I would have thought someone would have corrected him.
US$30 million don't buy much aviation these days.

EGKK931
24th Jul 2006, 11:19
ALLDAYDELI,
Picture on airliners.net here:
shows it under armed guard. Also had a few more armed around the U.S aircraft but thats understandable really.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1081661/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1081661/M/)

vbmenu_register("postmenu_2736111", true);

apaddyinuk
24th Jul 2006, 12:36
apaddyinuk,
What time did you arrive?
When I arrived around 10am all the security check points were operational and scanners etc. I did leave at around 2pm and walked back through security to see it was somewhat much more relaxed :confused:

There were plenty of police some armed inside.

To be honest EGKK, I was not that far behind you, I think I got in around 1020 or there abouts through the entrance at carpark 6 which was next to all the carnival attractions. Perhaps it was just this entrance but the staff working it were just waving people through without any checks.

High Wing Drifter
24th Jul 2006, 13:06
Did anybody feel that the organisation was pretty poor this year?
No I wouldn't. Admitedly it was a mere 10 min drive from my home in Farnham to Elmor Car Park (local knowledge ;)). Even ignoring that there was no delay at the gates, walked straight in. Apart from the Family getting a bit of a soaking we stuck it out and by and large it was a nice day out. The kids enjoyed it and were simply bowled over by the Reds. Its all they talked about afterwards! I loved the A380's departure.

However, this being my first visit to Farnborough, It was probably the most boring Airshow I've been to (sum total of three so far so that isn't saying much). Understandably too trade oriented. The halls were a cure for insomnia!

EGKK931
24th Jul 2006, 13:11
To be honest EGKK, I was not that far behind you, I think I got in around 1020 or there abouts through the entrance at carpark 6 which was next to all the carnival attractions. Perhaps it was just this entrance but the staff working it were just waving people through without any checks.

I'm not sure of the entrance I entered through but think was Gate A which was where the buses from train stations and park and ride entered.
Here there was fully operational security which had to go through with bag x rayed and metal detected security staff were quite agressive once someone had passed through archway would literally turn you round and swipe down your back checking further for...

Anyone could have easily slipped past this check point few scanners towards the end were not operational could just slip through.

EI-MICK
24th Jul 2006, 13:36
I got there saturday on the shuttle bus from farnborough main.Arrived at about 9.10am,had absolutely no problems with security,walked straight through,no frisking.organisation was good but it was my first time at farnborough and would gladly go again for the two days next time,allowing a day viewing static and stands and a day for the flying,the toilets etc were kept clean throughout the day,absolutely no complaints.well done.

boogie-nicey
24th Jul 2006, 16:06
Terrible time trying to get to the show, I would have thought that the police would have had more of a traffic presence to help jolly things along. but alas no :(

As for getting out again, well let's just say that next time I'll do some 'local' research and find a not so popular little corner of the town to park up and then leg it to the show from there :ok:

Must agree with previous posters that the air display lacked some presence just seemed to fall a little short this time around.

EGBKFLYER
25th Jul 2006, 11:50
We drove to West Byfleet on Saturday - got a train to Farnborough Main. No parking problems and the nice man sold us a train ticket and a discount entry ticket at the same time! Leaving the show was just as hassle-free - didn't envy those in the enormous queue for the car park!

Show was OK - not the best I've ever been to but the MiG 29 was amazing (how does he do that :eek:), as was the glider aerobatting on aerotow.

It's obviously a trade show primarily, but surely even the trade need the loo occasionally - not nearly enough 'facilities' given the amount of people there.

Air Hop
26th Jul 2006, 07:48
I went on Saturday and was on the field by 0815. No problems at all and still the best way to see things before the display, however have to say that it was a shame that the static areas were so small / limited in types. It is about time that the organisers persuaded the business aircraft to remain in place for the public days as this is the only opportunity for 'jo public' to see at close quarters. If I wanted to look at millitary types then I would have gone to RIAT or Yeovilton.

Does anyone else agree?

Gulf4uk
26th Jul 2006, 11:13
hi

The Biz park was only held for a few days and as expected they pulled
out from the show. also pulled from Static the dc10 +777 and a couple
more , its Widely expected they would do this before Joe public arrived
SBAC has said they hoped more would remain but it didnt Happen
a response to this question as to why a few years ago ago came the
reply custumer Operational reasons ok Accept that but i still wounder
if they they could not care less about the public. Same the Exhibition
many Stands cleared and unmanned on Sunday some apperntly since
Friday .you might say this is a trade Section but good PR Comes to mind
i did spend a few hours talking to people on stands .

on the Show from A locals point of view this Year gave me no problems
getting around all traffic flowed fairly well not as in past years
The idea a few have of diving off into side roads to get past
traffic my advise DONT . a few tried that down my road it Runs
right alongside A325 With one differance its a dead End and
you cant get out the way you came you end up almost back in
town center my advice is be patient . the trains and busses were
the best bet i did say that Before .
still you can try again at SBAC2008 14 to 20 JULY book now

Tony

ALLDAYDELI
26th Jul 2006, 15:43
VDA An124 just arrived to FAB this afternoon to collect exhibits.

candoo
26th Jul 2006, 17:36
Having worked there all week in the trade halls I can understand why a lot of the trade exhibitors left on the Friday. They were suffering from heat exhaustion, believe me after Sunday through to Friday in the heat of last week you wanted out of there come Friday.

Most of the trade displays have very limited interest to those outside of the loop and if you don't nail down what you want to take back with you, as an exhibitor, you'll lose it! I agree a few of the "big boys" could have made more of a PR effort.

Show itself was good and I had no real problems parking in the Queens car park and getting in and out. Displays during the week also excellent though agree a little limited.
Personally I believe the infrastructure and expense limit the attractiveness to both trade and public customers alike.

I always dread Farnborough week but positively look forward to Le Bourget (I guess the location helps!!).

Gulf4uk
26th Jul 2006, 18:28
hi

Reading about the Power failures and the temp outside i can understand
some people for wanting to leave.
I would like to praise Quenetiq and Airbus inside halls for the way they
handled the public on Sunday enough pictures stickers and things
to keep the kiddys and me Happy as they answered questions in a very
positive friendly manner.
Outside the BAE Sys exhibition center was very helpfull and plenty
of free bottles of water elsewhere charged at £1 each and the
Heritage center again very nice to talk to .
All in all nice Atmospere there seemed a lack of jobsworths long may
it continue

Tony

Ray Darr
26th Jul 2006, 18:49
On Soggy Saturday (July 22, 2006), at the FIA2006, I filmed the A-340 Super Cigar-Tube doing an impressive alley-oop up into the clouds.

It had about a 30 degrees nose up attitude as it vanished, and then emerging out of the clouds at about the same degrees nose-down, headed towards Terra-Firma as it set up for landing.

Here is a link to the short video...what an impressive display! Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8MGzmSC1Tc

...enjoy!!

Cheers,
R.D.

Ray Darr
27th Jul 2006, 18:06
The monster flies! Saturday, July 22, 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-SdkkGwWc

...Enjoy.

~R.D.

chevvron
28th Jul 2006, 07:15
By 'monster' I presume you mean the Great White Whale.

saman
1st Aug 2006, 14:13
Thanks Gulf4uk, at Airbus we aim to please and it's nice to see it is noticed.

godsell
1st Aug 2006, 18:37
could someone point me in the direction of a checklist of aircraft present on the public days at farnborough 2006. thanks in anticipation.

Flightman
1st Aug 2006, 21:01
could someone point me in the direction of a checklist of aircraft present on the public days at farnborough 2006. thanks in anticipation.

http://www.farnborough.com/aircraft/daily.asp