PDA

View Full Version : What is it with espresso machines?

fernytickles
3rd Mar 2006, 14:35
Prices range from $60 to $3000 or $4000 :eek: All they do is make coffee, and all that happens to that coffee is it gets turned into wee.... I just don't get it :uhoh:

ps - our espresso machine has gone the way of most crappy made kitchen gadgets and replacing it looks like it may take a new mortgage :mad:

G-CPTN
3rd Mar 2006, 14:39
To make coffee, one needs ground coffee beans, a jug, and very hot (boiling) water. After infusing said coffee grounds, a suitable fine seive to catch the bits as one pours into a drinking vessel. Alternatively, take intra-venously.

BlueDiamond
3rd Mar 2006, 15:22
I know some guys who spend more than $1,000 every month on booze ... and that just gets p!ssed up against a wall too. No different from the coffee really.

djk
3rd Mar 2006, 15:31
fernytickles,

you can get just a stove top coffee perculator, they cost $20 for a medium sized one. Makes perfect espresso each time.
And if you want cappuccino. just slowly bring a small saucepan of milk to the boil with some sugar in it. spoon the milk and froth into your espresso and there you have it.

chuks
3rd Mar 2006, 16:43
That gizmo with the straight glass body and the stainless steel seive gets my vote. You just mix the ground coffee with the boiling water, stir, wait and then push the seive to the bottom - sorted! With no moving parts to go wrong.

Due to a non-negotiable demand from She Who Must Be Obeyed I spent the equivalent in euros of $1, 500 on an Italian coffee machine. Then I took it home, plugged it in and read the instructions with my children looking on. In the booklet it said that the machine could be programmed in Italian (well, yes...), English, German, French and Japanese. So, of course, we just had to push the little buttons to get it into Japanese. Unfortunately the on-screen instructions to get it out of Japanese were in Japanese which does not actually happen to be one of my two languages. The children found this to be absolutely side-splitting but I was not quite so happy with how the joke was playing out.

I finally got the damned thing stuck in some intermediate mode that meant it went back to the distributor for four months of psychoanalysis. And the next visit to the mega-mall featured a display front and centre of our new coffee machine for one-third off!

'Cafetiere'? I think that's the name of the cheap one. Give that a try and see what you think.

In my temporary home in the East End of London I sometimes go to the Idea Store. (It's what used to be called a 'library,' I think.) The place is really snazzy and features a little snack bar up on the fourth floor where I go to read the periodicals. There is one of those espresso machines of course. The girl behind the counter first makes the coffee with all the appropriate whooshing and slurping noises that sound like Bender the Robot blowing his nose, then there is a pregnant pause while she hands over the cup of precious brew and then she turns around to wallop hell out of the little ground coffee container ready for the next cup. 'Whomp! Whomp!' It sounds like Paul Bunyan at work back there. John Henry driving steel? Whatever.

Maybe the difference between an Idea Store and a library is that in an Idea Store it's sometimes so noisy you cannot hear yourself think. Well, nowadays, maybe people don't bother with that.

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Mar 2006, 18:01
I had one but it was such a pain in the ass I threw it out. Honestly, by the time you got the thing clean, the coffee was cold :*

Ridiculous.

I now have a Senseo :ok: Much better.

acbus1
4th Mar 2006, 06:52
Kettle, water, spoon, cup, instant coffee.

Rwy in Sight
4th Mar 2006, 10:51
I think it is just like any other machines, computer, hi tech stuff. You buy one because you need all the whistles and perfomance they offer and then you realize that you you bought more machine than you needed or it was the last item at normal price before they are heavily discounted as end of line item.
If you know an Italian with the right knowdge ask him what does he use, otherwise just stick to instant coffee.

Rwy in Sight.