PDA

View Full Version : getting started?

newbie008
3rd Mar 2006, 11:46
Can anyone offer me some advice to getting started in the pilot world? Im 23 and a recent graduate from uni and keen to get going but everythings so expensive to train. Ive applied with CTC for a place but the likelihood isnt that good considering the amount that apply. Im keen on the civil route as opposed to forces but just wondering the best way to train and get a job? much appreciated

HZ123
3rd Mar 2006, 12:07
Wish you all the best but your request is a bit like asking for 'lottery' numbers for saturday. Chances at airline level now is virtually nil unless possessing PPL and/or other experience. To fund your way at flying school could cost £40,000 plus and a lot of time. Best route via the RAF.

newbie008
3rd Mar 2006, 18:46
thanks for the advice, though getting in the RAF isn't that easy either so ive heard. I expect I will need to do a CPL as well as a PPL in order to stand any chance with the airlines, its just damn risky spending all that cash!! bring back sponsorships!

stefair
3rd Mar 2006, 21:16
its just damn risky spending all that cash!!

Nothing ventured nothing gained! :ok: Do lots of research to familiarize yourself with the license stuff and get started! Where's a will there's a way!!!

kileA
4th Mar 2006, 11:54
There are airlines that run sponsorships, like Easy Jet and BA. At least thats what i have been reading on their sites. In the way of finances they seem to help you out alot, but obviously they look for the "best of the best" if you see what i mean.

newbie008
4th Mar 2006, 12:46
I think your mistaken on the sponsorships. No airlines except bmi do sponsorships, but they only take on recruits about once every 2 years. As for easyjet they take recruits from CTC which is the course ive applied for. Im tempted to pay for my ppl and cpl and then apply with CTC for the ATPL (f) seeing as many ppl recommend them.

d2k73
4th Mar 2006, 13:43
Hey check your Pms

captainhopeful
5th Mar 2006, 03:19
Hello all, my name's Paul and I'm in a similar position :ugh: . (I've been reading the forums since high school but first time posting so HI :ok: )

I'm at university at the moment, looking at graduating at 21/22 with an engineering degree, and zero cash!

CTC is obviously worth the application but not feeling hopeful for that (did I hear that 2% are chosen? :sad: ). I have a £15k job guaranteed as a backup, but hopefully better oppurtunities when I've got that degree.

Option 1) A few years hard work and a £25 unsecured loan, then off to OAT or similar

Option 2) Stay on the £15 (very flexible employer) and train part time.

What do you think? :confused:

A320rider
5th Mar 2006, 07:31
and what about a normal job in IT?
forget aviation or just apply with NO experience.
wait a few years and see how this market will be.
if you think you have a real chance to be hired, start your training, but at this time, I would suggest you to wait another 2 years.During this time you can still apply at your RAF club.

powdermonkey
5th Mar 2006, 10:00
A320, why would you suggest he waits another two years? Can you qualify that sugestion with something valid?

scroggs
5th Mar 2006, 11:55
Can anyone offer me some advice to getting started in the pilot world? Im 23 and a recent graduate from uni and keen to get going but everythings so expensive to train. Ive applied with CTC for a place but the likelihood isnt that good considering the amount that apply. Im keen on the civil route as opposed to forces but just wondering the best way to train and get a job? much appreciated

Read this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649) throughout. It should help inform your questions.

Scroggs

sstaurus
6th Mar 2006, 23:54
...Chances at airline level now is virtually nil unless possessing PPL and/or other experience...

Huh? Why would his chances be nil at 23? I will be going for CPL et al when I graduate University in '07, I will be 23, but I will have a PPL by then. However I'm not in the UK if that makes a difference.

buzzc152
16th Mar 2006, 09:13
Unless things have changed in the last 5 or so years, max age for an RAF pilot applicant is 23 1/3 years old............... and don't think the RAF is any easier to get into than a civiie job (in fact, it's probably a good deal harder).

newbie008
16th Mar 2006, 11:36
it is 23 but they said apply anyway. I know it is likely to be harder, I dont hold much hope for the RAF to be fair. Concentrating on CTC at the moment

just short
16th Mar 2006, 20:57
it is 23 but they said apply anyway. I know it is likely to be harder, I dont hold much hope for the RAF to be fair. Concentrating on CTC at the moment
Interesting following this at the moment. What do you mean by CTC ?

scroggs
17th Mar 2006, 10:23
Try this, (http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/index.htm) this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94832) and this. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144926)

Scroggs

Lord Flashheart
17th Mar 2006, 12:33
It's funny how CTC is seen as the best thing since sliced bread! A 65k modular course on Diamond Stars (lovely as they are) which will be costing CTC about £10 per hour to run on fuel! And you do Bristol distance learning. How can they charge £65,000? Also funny how people think they aren't paying for it as it's a "sponsorship" scheme!

Look for schemes such as Flybe, BA Connect and Thomson Fly with FTE and Thomas Cook and Excel with OAT. You do have to find the money yourself as they aren't sponsorship schemes, however the banks are willing to help a lot more if you are on an airline scheme.

Another thing is don't forget there is more to flying than the airlines. You could instruct, with a few more hours you could fly air taxi (although you would need an IR). Anyway, best of luck.

newbie008
17th Mar 2006, 18:27
good point but I think the reason people like CTC is because you know what your getting. You know that if they accept you then you've basically bought yourself a career! With the airlines on board I think people are willing to pay knowing the training is going to be a class above the rest. Also it is a cash bond and you dont start paying it back until the training is completed which would suit me down to the ground!!

bjkeates
18th Mar 2006, 01:22
Also it is a cash bond and you dont start paying it back until the training is completed which would suit me down to the ground!!

Correct. For people like me, having wanted to get into this career for as long as I can remember yet graduating from University with a negative bank balance, the financing CTC offer is by far the most attractive available.

A 65k modular course on Diamond Stars (lovely as they are) which will be costing CTC about £10 per hour to run on fuel! And you do Bristol distance learning. How can they charge £65,000?

Yep, the course on Diamond Stars... plus accommodation, shared car and all the rest of the perks in New Zealand, return flights to and from there, sim time, accommodation in Bournemouth for the IR part of the course, etc etc... it mounts up. If I'd gone self-funded from zero hours, which is where I am now, to the right hand seat of a commercial airliner, I bet it would cost me a lot more than £65k. I feel very priveliged to have gained a place on the Wings Cadets course - as far as I'm concerned they ARE the best thing since sliced bread at the moment!

Look for schemes such as Flybe, BA Connect and Thomson Fly

Flybe and Thomsonfly also take cadets from CTC.