PDA

View Full Version : The Great British Design Quest (Link)

ThreadBaron
3rd Mar 2006, 06:42
Two out of three ain't bad!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/cultureshow/designquest/vote/

Now, where might your vote go!!??;)

strafer
3rd Mar 2006, 09:09
Beat me to it Threadbaron.

I'm slightly suspicious when they say it was voted for by the public, when in the top 25 is 'The verdana typeface' ???

My vote - Concorde
My vote for surprising omission - the gents tailored suit.

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 10:30
Spitfire!

No competition!

Concorde was just brute force, a bit of wind tunnel jiggery pokery and loadsa monee!

The Underground map has a confusing colour scheme. I'm not colour blind, but some of the shades are indistinguishable! Especially in the lighting conditions in, say....the Underground. :rolleyes:

QNIM
3rd Mar 2006, 10:52
Gday
Geez you poms have a short memory I think the greatest invention of all time came from the old country and I think the inventers name CRAPPER, if not we all would still be dumping it just anywhere it took our fancy.
Cheers Q :\

Kalium Chloride
3rd Mar 2006, 11:09
It's absolutely a no-brainer - the Spitfire.

I can't believe anyone with any common sense would vote Concorde. All looks and no substance - it achieved nothing except to show that, when you waste a shedload of taxpayers' money, you can come up with a noisy, fuel-thirsty aircraft which travels quickly but is so expensive that the general public can't afford to fly it. What a shambles.

Besides - if it hadn't been for the Spitfire, there wouldn't have been any Concorde. That's enough to give the Spit my vote.

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 11:22
I do agree, though I'd suggest that, without the Spitfire (and Hurricane...and Churchill....and Dowding...and Park...and...) we'd now have the.............

GruppenRheichShokkenWavenNoisenMackenFuellenBurnenFlugmachin en.

under_exposed
3rd Mar 2006, 11:23
Why the Spitfire? The Hurricane was more important.

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 11:31
The argument in favour of the Spitfire was that it tamed the German fighters, while the Hurricane did the bread and butter bomber killing work.

An RAF with nothing but Hurricanes for fighters might have lost The Battle.

QNIM
3rd Mar 2006, 11:35
Gday
Get real you lot with out the flushing dunny there wouldn't have been a spitfire or concord coz you lot would have been dead with some disease or other.
Cheers Q

LowObservable
3rd Mar 2006, 11:43
Of course the Hurricane did more in the Battle, and it was easier to repair and build while the Spit was a manufacturing nightmare. But if you've noticed looks count for a lot in this world...

High Wing Drifter
3rd Mar 2006, 11:46
I can't believe anyone with any common sense would vote Concorde. All looks and no substance
I might give the time of day if it was spelt "Concord".

My problem with the Spit is that it wasn't particuarly innovative, just the current thinking done properly. However, it does demonstrate a rare convergence of technology, asthetics and function. Esp the latter and the one before the latter. But just a tad of the former which the ME 109 had in spades.

MMEMatty
3rd Mar 2006, 11:57
But pure functuality isn't everything, Much as the spitfire is a good looking aircraft, the concorde is beautiful. Like comparing, say, Charlotte Church to Elle McPhearson. Both very beautiful, but only one is a supermodel...

Plus, how many passengers could Spitfire carry? How many people (how many of you?) wanted to become airliner pilots just so that, one day, you could fly movie stars and models across the atlantic at twice the speed of sound? How many of you would have given anything to sip champagne at twice the speed of sound?

OK, it had its faults. It was a bit too small, a bit too thirsty, a bit too noisy. But then so too did the Spitfire. It couldnt take negative G without the engine cutting, and the FW 190 could out turn it. Everything is a compromise.

The triumph of Concorde was not that it was a stunning technical exercise (which it was) or that it was the ultimate aspirational commodity (it was). It was the fact that it did not age. It has been the cutting edge for the last 40 years. Nothing has surpassed it (and nothing in the near future will). It still has the capacity to make everyone feel that little bit special, just by being around it, just by association. That is why Concorde gets my vote.

Matt

Widger
3rd Mar 2006, 12:15
Don't forget that this competition is about design, not some item's place in history. Yes the Hurricane was more important but the Spitfire was an elegant design as was Concorde (although not strictly British). I'm quite upset that the Routemaster Bus is not still in the competition.

nutcracker43
3rd Mar 2006, 14:14
We are talking about design here, not just good looks. If design is what it was about then the Spitfire has to be down near the bottom. It was certainly the prettiest and most beautiful and had great performance in WW2 but from a terotechnological point of view, no!

NC43

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 14:16
How many of you would have given anything to sip champagne at twice the speed of sound?
Not me. I like to drink it slowly and savour the taste.

Mr Lexx
3rd Mar 2006, 14:25
Concorde for me, voted for it in each stage of the um...... voting