PDA

View Full Version : Lounge Access

str12
3rd Mar 2006, 01:14
I am a KLM Flying Blue Platinum member and was refused entry to the KLM lounge at Schiphol 2 weeks ago. The reason: I was flying with Singapore Airlines that day.

Do other airlines have the same policy?

YOWGirl
3rd Mar 2006, 02:08
Yes.
Singapore is a Star Alliance carrier and KLM is not. Unless you're Amex Black Centurion, I believe you are at the mercy of the airline on which you are booked, not where you prefer to fly.

christep
3rd Mar 2006, 02:39
Some airlines' top tier frequent fliers can access some lounges regardless of who they are flying with that day. For example, as a CX Diamond card member (=OW Emerald) I can access any CX business-class lounge any time I am flying with any airline. If I am flying that day with a OneWorld airline then I can access any lounge of any OneWorld airline (with a few exceptions such as BA's Concorde Rooms).

I know that BA has a similar scheme for Gold card members, but I'm not sure of the exact details.

Red Snake
3rd Mar 2006, 13:45
From the Flying Blue Programme Benefits:

Access to Lounges

when you are travelling:
on a domestic Skyteam flight connecting with an international SkyTeam flight
on an international Air France, KLM or SkyTeam flight
on a domestic Air France flight departing from Paris-Charles de Gaulle.

for you and a guest of your choice travelling with you on the same SkyTeam flight

Not even the top tier gives you access on a non-Skyteam flight:{

Jordan D
4th Mar 2006, 10:22
In response to the question regarding BA's rules - from personal experience (well my mother's experience), as a Gold Card holder you are personally allowed access (without guests) to the BA Lounge regardless of airline of travel. If flying BA, then you are allowed (at most locations) to take a guest.

Jordan

Crepello
4th Mar 2006, 23:01
The AMS lounge-bouncers do seem quite "efficient" in checking eligibility.

A few years ago, I was denied at the Schiphol BA lounge despite the fact I was flying Concorde that day. Mind you, when the battleaxe at the desk did a little digging, I had to admit that my (non-) connecting flight was an easyJet into LTN. :}

spiney
5th Mar 2006, 22:27
Yes - same with me. Platinum Elite on KLM, but travelling BKK-MNL that day on another carrier, couldn't get me into their shared lounge, to meet a friend. My BA Gold Card on the other hand, got us both into the Cathay Pacific One World Lounge.