PDA

View Full Version : What was your first job??

dxbpilot
2nd Mar 2006, 22:12
Hi guys I am interested in knowing what the first pilot job everyone had was !! and how they got it !!

cheers

AerocatS2A
3rd Mar 2006, 07:43
Flying joyrides in a Pitts Special. Got it because I was in the right place at the right time, and my instructor knew people (also I was suitably qualified, aerobatic rating and 50 hours tail wheel.) I was unemployed for just a couple of days.

Dct_Bombi
3rd Mar 2006, 17:23
Hey there,
1st job in aviation was washing club aircraft at my local club and serving tea to club members and cutting grass. A year later I completed my commercial and travelled everywhere by bus/train with a tent on my back and cv in hand targetting other clubs for the likes of general duties or whatever, also stopping off at glider and skydiving centres,,One in particular had a competition weekend-I helped out in exchange to pitch me tent.First mornig of jumps I like the brown noser that I was washed there aircraft before anyone had arrived that day...god that was desperate. My face obviously fitted and attitude was acceptable and offered a job as relief pilot which ended up with nearly 400hrs in the summer season and a fair bit of twin also.
End of season..kept firing of cv's (no replies) and I dont care what anyone said I was not happy with selling myself through the medium of paper or email so marched into offices, flew light club aircraft into mid sized airports and literally sat on said parked aircraft ON THE RAMP and when I saw an aircraft pull in Id stroll over and hand the pilot my cv, About 2 months and many lonely hours plane spotting sitting on the wing of my club aircraft waiting to pounce on poor unsuspecting pilots, it finally worked.
I decided to sign up to this website and respond to this question as I really wanna encourage you do get active and hussle....Today I flew over bombi at Fl390 ( hence the name ) in my brand new office :cool: about 1 yr on from serving tea..:rolleyes:

YYZ
3rd Mar 2006, 18:15
First job one month after CPL/IR is at a skydiving club, my second, i'm about to become an FI whilst staying at the skydiving club if things work out?

Not a jet or an airline, but great fun and it keeps you current.

YYZ

albatross
3rd Mar 2006, 19:30
Flew skydivers in a Cessna 180 time building - lot of landings.
Co-pilot ( warm it up in the morning at -40, load it, fuel it, learn how to navigate in really bad weather ) on a single Otter on Wheel skis and floats
( a "ti'pit" in Quebec - rough translation "little pilot.") The Otter Capt. taught you a lot. I was lucky and had 3 really great ones. I got to do 1/2 the flying form the start. Some Ti'pits just worked like dogs and never touched the controls.
Fire patrol on C-185 wheels / floats bush flying in the winter.
Then onto Beavers ect ect - the standard Canadian flying story in those daze.
I do miss that Beaver and the 185 - most fun I ever had.:{
Funny thing - that Beaver and Otter- not a flight manual to be found. The boss nearly killed me later on when I bought them. He thought "Real men don't need Flight Manuals" I guess.

Nicolas DG
3rd Mar 2006, 23:24
Hello everyone,
I was reading all the post by all of you, and I started to think about if exist some kind of activite which can do some private pilot in any part of the world, just for save hours to in the future by a pilot from some airline. Exist something like that, some activitie????, Thanks, bye bye, have good flights!!

YYZ
4th Mar 2006, 19:40
Nicolas DG

If I have read your post right?

Then as a PPL holder you are allowed to become a Jump Pilot, however most clubs will require certain minimum hours for their insurance..

YYZ

Genghis the Engineer
4th Mar 2006, 21:02
Not a flying job, but my first job was as an apprentice at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough. Everything else pretty much led from that.

G

apron
4th Mar 2006, 21:30
Hi,
First job flying the 737 for bmibaby. Was a low hour pilot fresh (ish) out of OAT

ShyTorque
16th Mar 2006, 08:08
Age 20, being taught to fly military jets. :)

Looking at my sons who are now of similar age, and thinking of how I would feel about them doing the same, I think it was madness! :eek:

Flying brick
28th Mar 2006, 11:13
first job : fuelling airplanes at local airport
secund job : burning fuel with skydiving airplanes (Shorts Skyvan, etc)
now : 7000 hrs, HS125 typerated and ... no job
:ok:

sailing
24th Apr 2006, 09:13
Depends what you mean by flying......my first paid job was as a hang gliding instructor, later ultralight instructor, then first 'real' aeroplane job was when I bought a DH82 and gave myself a job doing joy flights! Most fun I ever had in the air and still miss her. :{:rolleyes:

Flight Detent
24th Apr 2006, 12:26
Hi all,

My first flying job was in the RAAF flying P3Bs, then P3Cs, then retired and started flying Boeings, 727s, then 747s, ended up with about 13,700 hrs TT.

Cheers, FD :sad:

scruggs
1st May 2006, 11:35
Crowd steward at West Bromwich Albion (99-01). Despite everything (how crap we are sometimes), it was the best job I've had! Wage: £18 per match (£15 if the police were present).

thrust clb
2nd May 2006, 08:43
i was a new-car saleman selling NISSAN's. It financed my CPL..had to practically force my colleagues to share hire cost of Cessna 150's for sight-seeing trips around Manila! When i got my CPL, flew 206's, Islanders and FO on the Twin Otter. Did this for 5 years until hired by the Big-boys. Now i fly 320's and due for capt in July.:)

skywerd
3rd May 2006, 15:21
Age 22: Renewed my CFI with a CFII, after having turned down an opportunity at age 20 with the same company. I did all my training at this full service FBO, beginning at age 14. I soloed there at age 16, Private at age 17.
They offered me a job as a flight instructor, charter pilot at a satellite airport. It included accommodations. I stayed with them for 5 years (read: "survived") then moved on. I had outlasted all of the people senior to me, most of whom are now furloughed from USAirways.
Those were the days... I am now 45 and dealing with smart-:mad: 20 year FOs who don't understand my impatience with them...:p