PDA

View Full Version : No comment

Davaar
2nd Mar 2006, 19:38
Newsreport:

The Supreme Court of Canada has struck down a Montreal school board's ban on the wearing of ceremonial daggers by Sikh students - delivering a ringing defence of religious freedom in the process.

con-pilot
2nd Mar 2006, 19:42
So, does that mean that some kids can show up with ceremonial AK-47s?:E

I know, I know, go find a job!

frostbite
2nd Mar 2006, 20:08
That's another country off my 'escape to sanity' list then.

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 20:09
Can we alien abductees wear our tinfoil hats?.
:rolleyes:

Safety_Helmut
2nd Mar 2006, 20:19
Hmmmm !:confused:

seacue
2nd Mar 2006, 22:53
FSL Draper, you can only wear them near Roswell, New Mexico, in one of Canada's far-southern provinces.

CoodaShooda
2nd Mar 2006, 23:06
Just what ceremony are Sikh children observing that demands they take deadly weapons to school? :confused: :hmm:

BOFH
2nd Mar 2006, 23:20
I see nothing wrong with this.

BOFH
(Supreme overlord of the Church of high-powered weapons, promiscuity and consumption of Class As, soon coming to a town near you. Worship me, believers!)

broadreach
2nd Mar 2006, 23:41
bit difficult to judge otherwise withoot banning full highland regalia. Non-issue.

Buster Hyman
2nd Mar 2006, 23:42
What will the kids from Chernobyl take to school?

Wedge
2nd Mar 2006, 23:57
So, does that mean that some kids can show up with ceremonial AK-47s?

I believe in that in the 'sane' USofA, there have been several incidents of kids showing up for class with legally held firearms and having great fun shooting people.

If these daggers are merely ceremonial they need not be sharpened. I don't see a problem. That said, I do see a problem with religion in general.

con-pilot
3rd Mar 2006, 00:08
Okay, I left myself open for that Wedge, nice of you to take the shot.

PS. Agree with you on;

I do see a problem with religion in general.

ONLY, when taken to the extreme.

Now let's go back to having a bit of fun, okay.:ok:

Wedge
3rd Mar 2006, 00:15
Point taken con-pilot...... Internet forums eh? You know that whatever you say, however jokingly, some smart-arse will try to pull you up ;)

BombayDuck
3rd Mar 2006, 02:18
it is part of the five Ks that Sikhs are supposed to be bound to. Cant remember all of them but Kirpan (dagger), Kesh (Hair - they never cut it) and Kada (Bracelet) are three of these.

Funny thing is that the Sikhs in Canada are far more staunch about religion than their counterparts back home. The few (admittedly not enough as a sample) I know stick to only two - the hair and the bracelet. Their hair is pretty long so it is tied within colourful turbans while the bracelet is a single copper band on the right forearm.

That said, I'm not commenting on the issue at hand either :}

Ontariotech
3rd Mar 2006, 02:56
Well....Gee........why am I not surprised. It is Canada after all.

Carry it all you like. The law can allow for a person to carry it. But if I ask for it, you better produce it, for if you hide it from me, the carrying of a concealed weapon charge will surely follow.

I can guarantee you that the students will have to at least declare to the school that they carry one, otherwise the general population will not allow their sons and daughters to attend the schools. I can see this turning into a federal issue, much like the head scarf drama in France last year.

CCC Sec. 90(1)

Punishable by indictable offence, maximum 5 years in jail. Or summary conviction.

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 05:01
What will the kids from Chernobyl take to school?
Dunno, but they all get glowing reports.

Buster Hyman
3rd Mar 2006, 06:14
BOOM BOOM!:ok:

angels
3rd Mar 2006, 08:15
bit difficult to judge otherwise withoot banning full highland regalia. Non-issue.

Totally agree. Some Sikhs have been walking about the U.K. with their daggers for ages without knifing anyone who pisses them off. But as BombayDuck says, the great majority don't bother with the full kit.

I stand to be corrected, but I would say violence by Sikhs is more likely to occur in India itself. The assassination of Indira Ghandi for example (in whixh guns were used, not knives). I can't recall an occasion in the U.K. where a Sikh dagger was used to murder someone (again I stand to be corrected).

tony draper
3rd Mar 2006, 08:26
Watched a documentry about Sikhis once, they seem a friendly happy lot,compred to some other buggas with beards, one can wander into the Golden Temple and get a good meal for nowt, even the king has to take his turn at cooking and doing the washing up.
:rolleyes:

Jerricho
3rd Mar 2006, 14:23
Does this mean rastas will be able to sit in class smoking the old ganja?

XXTSGR
3rd Mar 2006, 14:42
Doubt it. Passive smoking an' all that. Mind you, schools might have to provide ganja smoking areas (behind the bike sheds might be a good place). :)

Jerricho
3rd Mar 2006, 14:45
I don wonder how may complaints about passive smoking there would be.

Plus the canteen's profits would certainly increase :E

XXTSGR
3rd Mar 2006, 14:47
Except that Noo Labour aren't going to let schools sell chocolate bars out of the machines any more, so a serious attack of the muchies could be a problem... :uhoh:

Huck
3rd Mar 2006, 15:00
[S]chools might have to provide ganja smoking areas (behind the bike sheds might be a good place).

Ours was under the bridge just down the road. But I digress....