PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal ?

newarksmells
2nd Mar 2006, 20:21
I fly way too much and either eat crap served by the airlines, buy crap served by the airlines or in some cases, eat nothing. I was in Tulsa last month and brought home the ham and cheese roll for my dog and my dog threw up...no kidding. The food is basically inedible.

Would it be illegal to pack to some kaiser rolls with ham / swiss / roast beef / cheddar / tomatoes (the sort of stuff you get seved in a deli) and sell them on the plane to other people flying? There's nothing in the contract of carriage regarding this behavour and I was wondering about the legality / illegality of trying it.

Newarksmells

djk
2nd Mar 2006, 20:25
I believe you actually need a catering licence.

I trained as a chef in the UK orginally, however if I was to take up catering again in the US, I'd need to apply again for a licence

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2006, 20:35
I'm sure there will be some law against it, but if you have a million bucks to spare, you could take it on as a cause célèbre. You would certainly have my support...put me down for five bucks.

I too am sick of eating crap on airplanes, and I am sick of the varied nature of the flight attendants that serve it. AA and Continental come to mind. Some of the crew are wonderful; from the old school, but others, as I have said many times on this forum, let their colleagues down by their downright rudeness.

I am sick of being expected to stuff the food down in one gollup, so that the aforementioned can get back into the cubical that seems to be of so much interest to them.

newarksmells
2nd Mar 2006, 20:45
I don't know about a catering license. Aren't there certain standards you must abide by in terms of health and quality if you have a catering license? Obviously, the current providers fail on the quality test....

con-pilot
2nd Mar 2006, 21:04
HI ! Newark. Long time no see.:ok:

Anyway, I'm afraid you need to get a catering license or purchase the food from a caterer. There are some really great catering companies for Corporate Aviation in your area. PM me and I'll send you a list.

A word of caution, they ain't cheap.

pigboat
2nd Mar 2006, 21:13
A word of caution, they ain't cheap.

Amen! I remember coming out of EWR with the Gulfstream with 12 pax. 12 dinners came to $800.00. :eek:

con-pilot
2nd Mar 2006, 21:23
12 dinners came to $800.00.

And that was for sandwiches probably!:p

NZLeardriver
3rd Mar 2006, 04:41
Ordered some catering in ATL once for 6 people. A nice sandwich box, some individual bottles of mustard and mayonnaise, nice salad and fruit etc. The price - about $75. When told that there were delivering to the airport, the price suddenly went to $300. hmmmmmm:suspect: :suspect:

West Coast
3rd Mar 2006, 07:15
"the price suddenly went to $300"

Reminds me of the old saying, the best way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a big one.

Or an old boss's favorite:

"I know there's a lot of money in aviation, I put it there"