PDA

View Full Version : Why do people walk so slowly?

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2006, 17:39
I got stuck behind someone today at work as they shuffled down this narrow corridor. It was like waiting for Directory Enquiries, seriously, I could have raised a family of three in the time it took for me to get to my desk. Why do people have to do this? Are they unaware of the throngs stuck behind them, or do they just not care?

Not especially old either, just especially annoying :*

Rushton
2nd Mar 2006, 17:55
They will be the same people that do 100mph plus in their BMWs. They gotta unwind somehow.:)

Capn Notarious
2nd Mar 2006, 17:56
At least it gave you something to Grump about. So what about them walking slowly were you pounding too fast?

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 17:57
One begins to suspect you after one's title Mr Onan,"Proonus Primus Grumpus" you have four grumping threads going to ones three.:E

airship
2nd Mar 2006, 18:14
Where's the "Onan's grumpy today..." thread?! :ok:

effortless
2nd Mar 2006, 18:18
I suppose that you were too shy to say "excuse me and pass them. :rolleyes:

lexxity
2nd Mar 2006, 18:21
Do you know what really annoys me? When people just STOP. Just stop walking for no reason. Right there in the middle of the street! WHY??????

At least now I've the buggy I can ram the idiots and say "oh sorry, I didn't realise you were going to stop so suddenly!":ouch: ;)

M. I. Icarus?
2nd Mar 2006, 18:24
Same people that stop walking right in front of you to answer the mobile phone... and then stand there in the middle of the path....

People, it's a MOBILE phone. You can talk AND walk.....

Mostly men though, maybe something to do with multitasking.

airship
2nd Mar 2006, 18:27
Right there in the middle of the street! WHY?????? Death-wish?

Oh, I see...in the middle of the pavement is what you mean't.

Well, where do you think they should suddenly stop then? In the middle of the road?! ;)

PS. But can you do the walk Icarus?!

Sailor Vee
2nd Mar 2006, 18:35
I always try to apply the 'rules of the road', when walking anywhere congested. If other peeps did the same then life would be easier, why do they:-
a) walk out of shops without looking, straight into someone's path.:confused:
b) stop for no apparent reason.:ouch:
c) walk at 4 miles a fortnight in a narrow space.:{

bear11
2nd Mar 2006, 18:39
Probably no rear-view mirror, Onan - they don't know, and don't care. Like the countless tw*ts I encounter (all female, amazingly) in traffic in our capital city who have their interior rear view mirror cocked in such a mad fashion that you know they do their makeup when they're stopped at a set of lights - no fecking use for anything else at least, unless they have a third eye somewhere I don't. 1-800 how's my makeup?

I can just about handle people picking their nose (mostly male, amazingly), shaving (ditto), and trying to stick their tongue down their passenger's neck when stationary, but the twisted mirror thing just makes me want to phone up for robocop.

acbus1
2nd Mar 2006, 18:46
I suppose that you were too shy to say "excuse me and pass them
That occured to me.

Though I was thinking more along the lines of Excuse Me!!!!

Mind, some peeps these days don't know what that means......"Wot? Dis saam awd [email protected] lingo, den? *sniff* *belch*"

SoundBarrier
2nd Mar 2006, 20:03
I gotta get on this one,

I agree with Sailor Vee simply apply the rules of the road. I start talking to people beside me in a loud enough tone that all and sundry can hear, "Sure, just walk in front of me why don't you" often falls on deaf ears!

I am getting to the point that I just walk, no stopping - nada. If they walk out a shop and INTO me, their loss. It's comming Rugby season and I'm in the mood lady, hurry on up.

I don't find it gender specific, just those who don't give a rats ass about anyone else. (ooh theres another one for the shaking sticks forum).

Foss
2nd Mar 2006, 20:11
Mace them, and then step over them, at least they'll learn a good 'ol lesson like.

Or maybe step around them, at least then you'll avoid the court appearance.

:hmm:
Fos

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2006, 20:45
There I was, worrying if I was going to be in time to get the grand kids, and wether I would be able to get me walker untangled from Boots violently sprung doors, and wham! I get clobbered by a rugger player going at the speed of sound. The worlds all happening too fast these days.:ugh:

frostbite
2nd Mar 2006, 21:06
When you do your annual 'polite thing' and step aside or wait for someone and they just ignore you, say loudly 'that's alright', and when they say 'yerwot?', just say 'I thought you said thankyou'.

treadigraph
2nd Mar 2006, 21:18
What about the lazy [email protected]@ers who stand, slack-jawed, in the middle of escalators wide enough for two people as they wait to be conveyed up - or down - to the next level, or chat to the moron standing next to them. Whatever happened to the "stand on the right" principle so impatient sods like me (and Onan) can rush pass. Oh I say "excuse me" politely but... but...

And friends who meet on narrow pavements while walking in opposite directions and immediatley heave to at right angles across the bloody thing while they gossip, thus blocking it for all other comers...

And people who don't say thank you when I hold the door open for them...

Grumpy? Me...?:*

Crepello
2nd Mar 2006, 21:37
A cattle prod could solve the problem of corridawdlers... used in emergency only, of course.

Occasionally I've had the opposite problem - somebody walking too fast when everyone's clearly forming a line. Happened at AMS a couple of years ago, when a sprightly chap tried to squeeze between me and a wall in the scrum for immigration. He drew level just as my hefty briefcase swung slowly towards his knee, end-on... The crunch and whimpering was... memorable. :E

tart1
2nd Mar 2006, 21:50
And what about when you give way to someone in a supermarket and let them go in front of you with their trolley in, say, a narrow aisle or between some other trollies. It really really makes me mad when they just walk through (without saying thankyou) and then stop dead, blocking your way. This is very very annoying. :mad: :mad:

frostbite
2nd Mar 2006, 22:50
Or the times when you give way to someone, when it's actually 'your' road, and they drive through without even a glance in your direction?

Sorry, but that's nearly always a woman.

ShyTorque
2nd Mar 2006, 23:13
Of course. She knows men should let women go first. (Despite the fact that she's forgotten that no-one can see her inside her car). Same female will expect you to hold a shop door open for her and say nothing as she walks straight past you. It's your duty. :hmm:

Whirlygig
2nd Mar 2006, 23:19
I shouldn't say this but I would agree that most of the time, if you are not thanked for letting another car through, it's a woman who has not thanked you.

Now before my sisters get up in arms about this and say they always do (as, indeed do I), just conduct a little research. I did and I had to concur. I think it has something to do with them not even noticing that you have pulled in to let them past!

The other thing that amazes me is how slowly people walk up stairs. If they realised that a little bit of kinetic energy will compensate for the potential energy that needs to be overcome, it will be easier than plodding up, tread by tread, in a flat-footed manner!

Cheers

Whirls

broadreach
3rd Mar 2006, 00:43
Sorry Onan, didn't read all the previous posts to the end. Were you late? Perchance?