PDA

View Full Version : Jude the Not-Obscure-Enough

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2006, 17:36
I'm just listning to the radio adaptation of this book which co0incidently I bought in a garage sale just the other week. I should have been alerted by the remarkably good condition of the paperback.

I just caught part of episode 2, so reading between the lines, he's buggered off to college and has a wife who was really a gold digger who has gone to Australia. He loves his cousin :ugh:

What I want to know though is why does he love her? A more self centered, and annoying female I have yet to meet. Is this really the point of the book? Is this actress actually really talanted and able to capture perfectly the vacuousness of this character, or is it just a dreadful adaptation of an appalingly forgettable tome?

I think the paperback's going in the bin tonight where it can rest lifelessly against 3-D Home and Garden Designer v2.0, but that's a different story :*

SLFguy
2nd Mar 2006, 17:45
I have 'Landscapes and Shrubbery 4.2' if you wanna swap...aww go on you know you want to.

Farmer 1
2nd Mar 2006, 18:15
I haven't heard the play - not sure I want to - but there are a couple of things you need to bear in mind before you start reading any of Hardy's books:

"Happy" will not describe much of the book, if any at all, particularly the ending.

Any plot could possibly best be described as "tenuous."

Don't throw the book away. Give it a couple of years or so, while you prepare yourself, then have another go at it, but read it slowly.

Sailor Vee
2nd Mar 2006, 18:19
Don't know about Hardy...but Laurel's books were a real hoot!!

Actually, if you've ever lived around Dorchester, you'd know why none of his books are 'happy'.

av8boy
2nd Mar 2006, 21:07
Don't throw the book away. Give it a couple of years or so, while you prepare yourself, then have another go at it, but read it slowly.

Are we talking about Tristram Shandy?

:uhoh:

TheOddOne
2nd Mar 2006, 21:22
I think that you have to read Hardy's books in the context in which they were originally published, that is, serialised in a popular magazine. It, in my view, is a little like a modern-day 'soap' and comes across as rather episodic, almost as if to leave the reader with a cliff-hanger each week.

Jude the Obscure, for instance, was published in Harper's in 12 episodes. Read it and spot the joins!

If this trivialises Hardy's work somewhat, well, tough!

The Odd One

Whirlygig
2nd Mar 2006, 21:34
Hardy's works get more and more depressing as he wrote. One of his early novels, "Under The Greenwood Tree" is a lovely book and the first of his that I read.

Then I read "The Woodlanders" - what a stupid bl00dy woman that Grace wotsit. Bathsheba Everdene. There's another one of his stupid women. And as for Tess, daft mare! I couldn't see what was so bad about Alec D'Urberville. I didn't finish Jude - the bit where the mentally handicapped child murders the others so they have fewer mouths to feed. Oh Pur-leeze.

Sorry Onan - did I spoil the plot for you?

Hardy could not write a decent female characterisation if he tried. They're all drippy, love-sick idjits! The "romantic hero" ain't much better.

Nah, if you want some decent characters then go for Dickens and if you want a bit of satirical humour, go for Austen.

Cheers

Whirls

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2006, 22:00
I'll swap a copy of "Ridding your herbaceous borders of unwanted Aardvark poo." (V4.1), for your copy of...well, anything really.

TheOddOne
2nd Mar 2006, 22:06
Whirls,

What about Trollope's 'The Barchester Chronicles'? Delicious stuff - wonderful on the telly with Alan Rickman, Donald Pleasance et al...

TOO

Whirlygig
2nd Mar 2006, 22:15
TOO, you are Soooo right! Alan Rickman was absolutely ....er.... what's the word .... obsequious. Deliciously cringe-worthy as Obadiah Slope.

Now that is a BBC repeat I wouldn't mind seeing along with (going further back) The Moonstone!

Cheers

Whirls

Capn Notarious
2nd Mar 2006, 23:09
Only bit I know about him is having seen some TV dramatisation. Not a patch on the Jane Austin Classic P&P and I'm a bloke.
Reckon if Fitzwilliam Darcy had a heli, would prolly be a Sikorksy and he'd ride a classic Triumph or Norton Motor bike.

Whirlygig
2nd Mar 2006, 23:14
Definitely an S76 (or maybe an A109?). Would Elizabeth Bennet (a real female character) also have a Bonneville?

Cap't Notar, glad you like P&P, it's my favourite novel and not many people appreciate it is meant to be funny! Don't bother reading Hardy though!

Cheers

Whirls

Capn Notarious
2nd Mar 2006, 23:36
Whirly. Trust me on this. Darcy would have an S76C, Connolly leather upholstery. ( S76 good piece of kit, I type with experiance ).
The mount of Lizzie Bennet; a custom hog with a 1220+ engine. That'ud scare the ***** out of that stuck up Darcy Aunt : lady Cathy de bugra off.