PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions..

ex_matelot
2nd Mar 2006, 15:00
Anybody believe in some of them?

Apart from it being deemed rather unlucky for somebody to be in a car doing 70 and a tree crossing their path then I think they are all a load of old bollocks!

My gran once sent me out to bury a small mirror she smashed....Funny thing is...I bloody did bury it!

JustaFew
2nd Mar 2006, 15:17
Some of the superstitions have some common sense, eg. not passing someone on a stair {cos you might have a fall}, walking under ladder{something might drop on you but if you look up first to check...}.
Otherwise, I find most superstitions utter rubbish which have NO logical
basis whatsoever and are overly controlling:mad: . My mother-in-law has many of these restrictive sayings which I try to keep away from my children (the sayings, not the mil).

Rushton
2nd Mar 2006, 15:39
Superstitions are a load of bull. When ever someone spouts one off to me i take no notice and nothing has ever happened as a result of me ignoring them or ever will - touch wood.

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 15:58
My uncle wore a pair of 'lucky pants' to the '66 World Cup final. He has been wearing them ever since.

Surprisingly, I don't have any cousins.

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 06:09
It's bad luck to post threads like this.

Biggest superstition of all?

Religion! :*

Billions of victims over the centuries. Go figure.

Whirlygig
3rd Mar 2006, 06:14
The Danish physicist Niels Bohr was asked why he had a horse shoe hanging up on his laboratory door when he was not a superstitous person. "Ah", said Niels, "I've heard that it works even if you don't believe in it!"

Cheers

Whirls

guimaraes
3rd Mar 2006, 06:16

Just because you're an atheist,doesn't give right to offend us who believe...

henry crun
3rd Mar 2006, 06:23
"Cast no clout till May is out"

Apart from not being able to find a clout, it doesn't apply in the southern hemisphere.

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 08:41
Just because you're an atheist,doesn't give right to offend us who believe...
You're absolutely correct.

It's my right to free speech instead. :p

Flying Farmer
3rd Mar 2006, 08:54

Religion!

I know its early, but what on earth is offensive about that remark? Its no wonder wars start when folks are this sensitive :(

BlueDiamond
3rd Mar 2006, 09:12
Just because you're an atheist,doesn't give right to offend us who believe... Whether you are offended or not is a matter for you, guimaraes. Your feelings, emotions and responses are under your control, not under the control of someone else. Others who are believers may well choose not to take offence, and you can not speak on their behalf, the most you can legitimately say is, "I have taken offence." That, of course, is your prerogative and your choice.

Where I come from, people believed it was lucky to have a black cat cross your path. here in Oz, most people believe it to be unlucky! Can't figure that one out. :confused:

powdermonkey
3rd Mar 2006, 09:16
Where I come from, people believed it was lucky to have a black cat cross your path. here in Oz, most people believe it to be unlucky! Can't figure that one out.

Depends if you trip over the cat doesn't it?
Then again is it bad luck for you or the cat......:hmm:

Gainesy
3rd Mar 2006, 09:19
Most would consider it unlucky to be born in Liverpool and end up in Oz.:p :)

BlueDiamond
3rd Mar 2006, 09:24
But would it be lucky to be born in Oz and end up in Liverpool? We should be told. :rolleyes:

fmgc
3rd Mar 2006, 09:33

Too bloody right, biggest mind f**k the world has ever seen!!

tony draper
3rd Mar 2006, 09:38
Hmmm tworld be interesting to ask if any new superstions have appeared among Pods since we discovered Australia and commenced peopling it.:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
3rd Mar 2006, 09:40
I don't believe in superstitions, touch wood.

Except I think I might have shot a robin, just now.... :(

tony draper
3rd Mar 2006, 10:01
Shame on you Mr T a bonny little critter is yer Robin and he has enough to put up with in his brief life just dealing with the slings and arrows nature throws at him,without clouds of numer 6 birdshot winging his way, one could not pop a cap on any critter now although one did so in the past.
Now folks,one would have no problem shooting folks.
:rolleyes:

Jerricho
3rd Mar 2006, 14:18
I wonder if robins have a superstition about crossing the path of a human with a gun being bad luck?

Non Normal
3rd Mar 2006, 15:41
My uncle wore a pair of 'lucky pants' to the '66 World Cup final. He has been wearing them ever since.
Surprisingly, I don't have any cousins.

He might have been getting lucky - doubly lucky. Getting lucky AND lucky enough not to have an "accident". :E :E

BombayDuck
3rd Mar 2006, 15:41
Jerr, I don't know about Robins, but I'm sure lawyers in America do now! :}

JustaFew
3rd Mar 2006, 19:46
The Aborigines peopled Oz long before 'we' did, Tony.
Definitely not lucky for them.

ShyTorque
3rd Mar 2006, 19:55
Shame on you Mr T a bonny little critter is yer Robin and he has enough to put up with in his brief life just dealing with the slings and arrows nature throws at him,without clouds of numer 6 birdshot winging his way, one could not pop a cap on any critter now although one did so in the past.

One was speaking figuratively - me old Ma always used to say it was extreme bad luck to shoot a Robin Redbreast. One was merely thinking of the run of bad luck one seems to be suffering these last few weeks, making one think of that saying!

One would never shoot at him, one is far too fond of the chirpy little things for that sort of thing. The old .177 breech loader is tucked securely away these days.

tony draper
3rd Mar 2006, 19:56
I think you will find that most places were peopled by someone else before someone else got there and took it off em, Mr J tiz the way of us humans.
We were just very good at taking places off other people,its a tough old world.
:rolleyes: