PDA

View Full Version : I hate the BBC

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2006, 14:57
I can't stand them :*

It's not because of any bias, real or perceived, it's not because of any black clothed media darling and I don't even have to pay a license fee. What gets me is how crap and annoying they are, how they seem to have lowered the tone of their "service" until it's just like any other commercial broadcaster. At least NPR doesn't do this.

For instance, my brother got BBC America on cable and Ithouoght, "This'll be good. I can watch some good old stuff like Dad's Army and get to see the new stuff like Cracker"

Not so. I couldn't stand to watch it.

It was the commercials that did it. Every five minutes, there's a minute's worth of commercials. Oddly they are mostly for their own programmes. Yes I know what's coming on next. I know because you have told me at least a hundred times.

His answer was Tivo :ok: a wonderful invention

My current problem is with BBC7, the internet feed. The presentation is just such absolute shite. It's so annoying and I have got into the habit of clicking the "forward 1 minute" button as a mattter of course because Iknow there'll be at least that much, maybe two or three minutes of inane bullshit...and do you have to have a stupid, made up accent to work as a preenter now? It's CO ok The letter C then the letter O that's CO not fecking COR :*

headphones back on now, it should be about time fopr the actual programme :ugh:

Ozzy
2nd Mar 2006, 15:03
I hate the BBC too. But for other reasons:E

Anyway, yer get what you pay for Onan:\

BBC7???? How many fecking BBCs does one need???

Ozzy

ex_matelot
2nd Mar 2006, 15:19
Just why is it that women in 'the media' tend to wear black clothing?

I have noticed this also.

There is some woman called Nicola something or other who does BBC news24 traffic reports in the morning,she always wears black type garb and has one of those 'artistic' hairdos that looks more like a work of geometry.-You just know she has a media studies diploma or something!

Also,female audience members on programs like topgear or Chris EDvans show always seem to wear black also...

WHY?????

Anybody know? somebody fill me in on the gaps please!

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Mar 2006, 15:30
It am trendy, Mr Matlow. It's a way of exhibiting their individuality.:hmm: :E

CharlieBarlie
2nd Mar 2006, 15:33
The females tend to find black a more "slimming" colour...for those with more to love figures.

It is for this reason that you hardly ever see women wearing horizontal stripes...highly unflattering "dahlings".

But yeah, the BBC is still rubbish.

ex_matelot
2nd Mar 2006, 15:33
Jeesus!!!

If looking like a [email protected] is now considered trendy....!!!

Individuality in my book is being the only one shitfaced in a queue at the supermarket at 10am in the morning!!

Should try it sometime-amazing how quick the service is as they try to get rid of you asap!!

frostbite
2nd Mar 2006, 15:50
Like everyone else, I don't like paying bills. But the one I hugely resent is for the BBC with all their in-house commercials, repeats of repeats (ad infinitum), and those pointless 'programme links' with the idiots in red pyjamas, wheelchairs, jumping with spears etc., etc..

Might just as well have real commercials on there.

ex_matelot
2nd Mar 2006, 15:54
Ah but those program links tick all the boxes in one foul sweep I mean, ya cant get more 'diverse' and Pc than showing a black man doing stunts in a wheelchair can you!!

Think the beeb are doing what BA did sometime ago in changing the tail fin emblems and sandwich boxes! ''lets show Africa we care'' etc etc

airborne_artist
2nd Mar 2006, 16:30
BBC news gets me every time - eg. items about Tony Blair, so news person has to be standing no. 10, despite the fact they've been briefed by the PM's assistant over a mobile etc and could have saved the cost of the outside broadcast by doing it in a studio.

SpinSpinSugar
2nd Mar 2006, 16:54
Gone downhill enormously in the past five years or so. Radio 4 still worth paying for, thankfully, and the internet listen again service is very good, but the TV news is atrocious. Vacuous soundbite-laden attention-deficit dumbed down articles for the ill-educated masses, all with cheesy grins and the inevitable feel-good story.

If I want incisive news on the telly these days Channel 4 seems to be the only provider, no competition.

That's not to say ALL BBC TV output is dreadful, I enjoyed "Life On Mars"!

fernytickles
2nd Mar 2006, 17:03
Why bother with news on the tv if you are scunnered with all the commercials? Opt for the radio or, better still, the web, then you can read what you want, when you want to. We haven't had the tv plugged into the networks for 5 years now, and I don't miss it one little bit, not even in these long, slow winters. We use a tv for watching dvds, commercial free, and get the news off the web. Its great waking up in the morning, reading the news on the wirless laptop, without having to crawl out of bed :)

As for our local version of NPR, Onan ...:uhoh: We used to wait with baited breath to see if the morning presenter could get through his program introduction (you know, "and today my guest is....") without a fumble. Heaven knows how the guy ever got to be on public radio. And then there's the presenter who sounds like she's having an orgasm :ugh:

Ozzy
2nd Mar 2006, 17:10
presenter who sounds like she's having an orgasm Not that Judith bluudy Swallow, can't stand that bint

Ozzy

Keef
2nd Mar 2006, 17:14
'Ere, wot's wrong with black, then? I wear black much of the time.

Yes, it scared the kids a bit.

fernytickles
2nd Mar 2006, 17:23
Ossy,

No, its Jean Feraca :yuk: on WPR

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2006, 17:31
ferny I thought our guy was bad. Admitedly he'll at least get out of bed at some horrific time to do the show, but still, he's basically crap. His name seems to alternate between Sam and Singham and he is unable to tell the time. Seriously. I think the staion is being used as a school because you'll be half way through a story and suddenly a promo starts. It's got to the point where Sam/Singham just waits for whoever switched the switch ON to switch it OFF. I mean how hard can it be to run a freaking radio station.

And don't get me started ont eh traffic report. I think they just sit in a windowless underground room surrounded by radios tuned to stations wh actually have traffic reporting services and repeat whatever they say :*

In fact if they say there's a ten ca pilup on the road to work, I'm know I'm ok, because if they're talking about it, I know it's been cleared up by then. It's when they say nothing that I start to worry :uhoh:

airship
2nd Mar 2006, 18:32
I wish I could get BBC TV here so I could hate it too.

Tone
2nd Mar 2006, 18:43
Must agree with Frostbite about the links on BBC1 - but the ones they produce for BBC2 are brilliant, I would rather watch them than most of the other matter they try top 'entertain' us with.

fernytickles
2nd Mar 2006, 18:52
Onan,

They don't bother with traffic reports where we are - traffic jams involve about 3 or 4 cars on a busy day :ok:
But if I get up early enough to go to work (wouldn't get up early for any other reason) I get to hear the World Service before WPR wakes up - pherruw!

acbus1
2nd Mar 2006, 18:55
Scrap the TV License fee. It is nothing less than extortion!

Make the lazy $ods at the BBC earn a living for a change.

Nothing but repeats. 99.9% unwatchable drivel.

At least the commercial channels are only 98% unwatchable drivel (not counting adverts, which are 110% unwatchable).

Crepello
2nd Mar 2006, 21:16
I reckon the Beeb's still good by world standards, but agree it's not a patch on what it was "when I were a lad." And I'm with Onan... can't watch TV without the DVR to cut adverts out.

Besides BBC America's "you're watching xyz... stay with us to continue watching more commercials for xyz"... :yuk: there's the repeats (I hear the same show can go out give time in a week), but what really gets me is the amount of daytime schlock that goes out in the later hours. I mean, is there really a market for Changing Rooms... at 11pm??

You have my envy Ferny... around here, the traffic's either slow or stationary... :\

Whinge over... that feels better.

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 21:38
Just been talking to a neighbour, he recons the licence is going up to 131 pounds 50p in April,why should we have to pay that for just another mediocre channel?
:confused:

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2006, 21:48
Talking of traffic reports. ‘One' has just been loaned the "Couplings" series. That's Beeb innit?

I suppose it was on at home months/years ago, but I was unaware of it. Very funny...especially one of the girls who tailored her reports from over London, to fit in with here own wandering mind...and vivid sexuality. Makes me homesick does that kind of humor.

Astrodome
2nd Mar 2006, 21:48
why should we have to pay that for just another mediocre channel?
Well Mr. D, who else will stand up and give credence to Bliar's latest hype and policy announcements ?

At one point it seemed that the BBC was actually starting to take Bliar's Government to task, then just as suddenly as that little ember of flame emerged, it was snuffed out.

Probably by the usual underhand backdoor bullying,....or maybe even a suggestion of shiny things to come ?

West Coast
2nd Mar 2006, 22:28
BBC news is simply fox news for liberals.

MMEMatty
3rd Mar 2006, 00:13
I have one easy, simple, inexpensive and quick solution to all your televisual problems......

....read a book :ok:

Seriously, if there's nowt on the Television, i switch it off, and go and read some more of George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London". Can't beat it.

Mind you, "Downfall" on Channel 4 was good tonight.

Matt

tony draper
3rd Mar 2006, 00:39
A great suggestion Mr Matty, but you still have to pay the Telly licence whether you watch it or not.:rolleyes:

str12
3rd Mar 2006, 02:33
Spent a lot of time in the New Jersey last year and the BBC still beats every form of news media by miles. Getting World news over there is challenging.

When does Bush actually get questioned on anything significant? Get the press briefings out of the White House so journalists are not worried about being invited back if they ask 'difficult' questions.

The US audience do not like hearing about Iraq or Afghanistan so the news programmes only pay them lip-service, otherwise viewers switch channels.

Why does the USA Today newspaper always start their World News section with articles about the US?

West Coast
3rd Mar 2006, 03:18
"Spent a lot of time in the New Jersey last year"

That visit allowed enough insight to authoritatively make the following observation then?

"The US audience do not like hearing about Iraq or Afghanistan so the news programmes only pay them lip-service"

con-pilot
3rd Mar 2006, 03:55
No West, you don't understand!

We should fall to our knees and pay homage to these insightful people that only need to spend a small amount of time, in just one small area of the entire United States and so quickly determine that we have "TV that sucks", "Beer that sucks" "TV news programs that 'suck', " etc. and because we don't have moronic, rabid, brain dead reporters that would rather embarrass than get the facts on our TV news shows, we should be thankful.

Plus, how egotistical are we citizens of the United States are we to consider our selves part of "World News"?

Shame, I say Shame!

(Damn funny how with all our faults and shortcomings we ended up the most powerful nation on Earth.) (If that don't get them, nothing will. I really need a Grocho Marx smiley face for that!)

Now I stand firm and await the predictable, repetitive onslaughts that I know is coming from the usual suspects.:E

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 06:08
Probably by the usual underhand backdoor bullying,....or maybe even a suggestion of shiny things to come ?
[Kenneth Williams]Oooooerrrrr! *covers rear end with hands*[/Kenneth Williams] :uhoh:

MagnusP
3rd Mar 2006, 09:08
Just why is it that women in 'the media' tend to wear black clothing?
It's the new black, dahling. :hmm:

phnuff
3rd Mar 2006, 09:53
At present, I personally, I resent paying directly or indirectly for crap television which is dominated by 5 minutes of fame or C clist celebrity type programs like Simply Ballroom, Dancing on Ice, Grand Designs, the Apprentice, House Doctor, that [email protected]@dy thing in which 2 ugly bints try to improve dress sense, Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother, Brain dead Big Brother, Celebrity Love Island, The Brothel, Celebrity Love Brothel and so on

TV is dead, long live radio

Windy Militant
3rd Mar 2006, 10:48
Um am I a Pinko Fluffy apologist if I mention things like " Days That shook the world" "The Space Race" "The Sky at Night" "Into The Under Growth" "Industrial Wonders of the Modern World" "The Blue Planet" anything by the Late Mr Dibnah. There's plenty of informative and interesting stuff if you care to use that little plastic thing with the batteries in.............. no no not the braille torch, the one with the buttons on. Reminds me of my old dad he'd spend hours moaning about the rubbish on the box but if you went to change the channel he'd shout the place down that he was watching that.:rolleyes:

tony draper
3rd Mar 2006, 10:50
Often wondered if people who think up program deas have any kind of interlectual property rights?,someone comes up with the idea of a prog about say two teams buying up a few antiques then auctioning them to see who makes the most profit,then every other channel and I mean every other channels bings out a program that is virtually idential but with a different celeb hostng same.
Any new program is just blatently copied.
Mentioned this before I tend to flick between the news channels in a atempt to get simple unbiased unspun information,I note that even the running order of the news stories is sychronised now,story about cricket on sky news? you have no interest in cricket so you flick over to bbc,? and the same story is running there,,weather forcast? likewise,sport ditto
As far as I am concered the only thing brit TV still does well is comedy,most brit TV drama is shite now,admitedly with the occasional one off gem.

Grainger
3rd Mar 2006, 11:02
...occasional one off gem...Life On Mars - Absolutely superb. The title sequence alone took me right back to my childhood, and had me chuckling. (For those who haven't seen it, it's a very well-executed homage to those 70's favourites The Sweeney and The Professionals. The titles are spot-on, and the 70's soundtrack will take you right back to your schooldays.) It's these occasional gems that highlight what a wasteland the BBCs main programming has become.

tony draper
3rd Mar 2006, 11:29
There used to be a clear difference in quality betwixt soap operas and TV drama whether it be serial or one off, not now nearly all dramas have sunk to TV soap opera level, one time watchable little serials like The Bill have degenerated into ludicrous plot lines with stock character such as the obligitory gay that are instantly interchangable betwtween any other TV drama drama and no one would even notice,TV drama is just another weapon in the huggy fluff tendency that run TV being used to socialy engineer us to their way of thinking.
Agreed technology now makes possible documentries beyond anything we could have dreamt a few years ago,but even they suffer from dumbing down,the commentries that accompany many of them often seem to be aimed at eight year olds.
It used to be said rather patronisingly frinstance that the Horizon Series was made with two different commentaries one for Europe and a dumbed down and sensationalied one for the American market,they only make one now and guess which it is?
:cool:

Capt.KAOS
3rd Mar 2006, 11:36
talking about FOX news...

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/foxiraqcivilwar1.jpg

frostbite
3rd Mar 2006, 13:27
Phnuff.

I do take issue with you over Grand Designs in your crap list! I might not like all of them, but it's a well presented programme by a knowledgeable presenter, and you don't see many of them around.

Homes under the Hammer is also one of the few where the presenters are both pleasant and knowledgeable without feeling they have to project their own personality over the subject.

str12
3rd Mar 2006, 13:28
Westie / Con-pilot

I was in NJ and North Carolina on 15 seperate occasions for a total of 4 months over a 1 year period. That doesn't give me the right to judge the US as a whole but it did give me a reasonable sample.

Anyway, it is only my humble opnion and I chose to express it here. Sorry if it upset you and I am not Yank-bashing.

While I was there the editor of the NY Times admitted that the TV stations do not show much on the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts as viewers would switch channels. To me that conflicts with honest journalism and is self-sensorship for the sake of ratings.

My guess is that there is a lot of prestige being invited to White House as a jounalist to represent your newspaper/TV station. I think this inhibits the journalists from asking difficult questions as it may jeopardise future visits.

As for "moronic, rabid, brain dead reporters" well we all have them but you have to admit, your beer does suck :E

str12

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Mar 2006, 13:33
To me that conflicts with honest journalism and is self-sensorship for the sake of ratings.

How am I supposed to respond to this? :hmm:

Getting World news over there is challenging.
In fairness, Fox does have a "sixty second roundup" of world news. Maybe even every day.

West Coast
3rd Mar 2006, 15:57
"but it did give me a reasonable sample"

So that gives you a reasonable sample of what people thousands of miles away in Hawaii believe? No you don't have a proper sample. I love it when I hear people (mostly Euro's here) that believe a trip to the states gives them the insight to comment what a country on the order of 300 million people, thousands of miles across with many differing economic and social stratas and interests believe. I've lived here a touch longer than the four month study you conducted. What my time tells me is that there are far too much fractionalization to determine the beat of the country by some sample in one small area.

"I think this inhibits the journalists from asking difficult questions as it may jeopardise future visits"

That would explain why the White House press secretary was getting abused after the Cheney shooting? Being called names by the WH press corps. A little research goes a long way.

str12
3rd Mar 2006, 19:00
Not claiming to know what people in the US feel, believe or want, just stating that in my opinion the BBC provides better news coverage...

Perhaps we should agree to disagree and leave it at that?

Safe flying.

West Coast
3rd Mar 2006, 21:02
That's a far cry from the generalization you started with.
Yup, leave it at that.

airship
4th Mar 2006, 10:35
Ever since Onan started this thread, I've kept a somewhat more critical eye out on the BBC (News) website. I usually excuse the often poor grammar and imprecise phraseology used in their written news stories. The thought that the BBC these days might have 'offshored' the authoring had crossed my mind, but the real reason is probably only the poor level of educashun in the UK.

However, for some inexplicable reason, reading this headline "Skiers hit by Italian avalanche (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4770604.stm)" today got my hackles up.

Is there something special about being hit by an Italian avalanche, as opposed to a Swiss one or even a Spanish one? Is it like being struck down by a terrible Spanish or Asian flu?

Mamma mia! If the BBC means "Skiers hit by avalanche in Italy"', then why don't they simply write that? Instead of encouraging individuals of a mentally-delicate disposition like myself to launch tirades... :O

tony draper
4th Mar 2006, 10:39
Heard a intersting quote re the Italian legal system on the news today,they stated that if a crime is not brought to trial within a ten year period of said crime being commited the charges are dropped?,seems a good scam that,one could rob a bank then just hide for ten years.
:uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Mar 2006, 10:41
...encouraging individuals of a mentally-delicate disposition like myself to launch tirades... :O

You sensitive little daffodil, you....:} :ok:

airship
4th Mar 2006, 11:12
Drapes, I believe that the particular statute you are referring to is commonly known today as Berlusconi law... (after Italy's richest man and current P.M.) :uhoh:

SRT, I'm just blowin' in the wind... ;)

acbus1
4th Mar 2006, 11:16
Italian avalanches are prevalent when the snow is retreating.

airship
4th Mar 2006, 11:36
Italian ski slopes are normally extremely stable. Until that is, hordes of German skiers come along, followed by British ones... ;)

arcniz
4th Mar 2006, 20:51
...they stated that if a crime is not brought to trial within a ten year period of said crime being commited the charges are dropped?,seems a good scam that,one could rob a bank then just hide for ten years.

Statutes of Limitation, Drapes. Old concept, nearly universal now in western Law, so far as I know. Timeout period typically varies with severity of the crime. Woulda thought you'd have had that on the radar before now.

Ultranomad
4th Mar 2006, 23:07
...but why BBC and not just all TV in general? Personally, I haven't watched any TV (broadcasting, that is, as opposed to cassettes/discs/downloaded files) in about 10 years and don't feel any desire to.