PDA

View Full Version : Are dogs worth it?

UL730
2nd Mar 2006, 11:49
I have recently had cause to report a dog on the runway during final approach. It turned out to be a stray.

This led me to wonder who would let their dog wander and then I read that recent research by a leading (pet) insurance company has determined that a dog owner will spend £22,000 (US $32000) over the course of its lifetime.

The average Fido now costs its owner more than half what it does to raise a child.

A great Dane will set its owner back as much as £32,810: the diminutive Jack Russells is a more economical option at £18,052. Even a lowly mongrel costs £21,734, thanks to its 16-year lifespan.

Are dogs worth this much? Are owners initially underestimating how much it really costs and then dumping them when the numbers kick in?

frostbite
2nd Mar 2006, 12:04
To many people, dogs are worth more than children.

I'm inclined to agree with them.

Lon More
2nd Mar 2006, 12:07
89p. per pound in Tescos:\

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2006, 12:14
To many people, dogs are worth more than aldults.

I'm inclined to agree with them.

Cats are worth even more.

bar fly
2nd Mar 2006, 12:24
Well worth it in my opinion. For a dog lover, that question is the same as saying are kids worth it. And whilst they tend to become strays less often, they do sometimes shine lazer pens at aircraft on finals!

Also, a pet insurance company is likely to want to lead people to believe pets are expensive so that they will insure them. Those averages seem high to me.

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2006, 12:37
bar fly makes sense. I think the numbers are inflated. 22,000 over 16 years is 1,375 a year, or 26 quid a week, which is a lot of food

In any event, with an average salary of 50,000 a year, after 16 years you'll have raked in 800,000, of which 22,000 is less than 3%

The real question should be "How much do children cost?" Whatever the answer, at least people pay for their own pets, they don't expect everyone else in town to pay for their pets' education like people with children do :*

bar fly
2nd Mar 2006, 12:43
Exactly, we all have to pay for the pesky little varmints whether we think they are worth it or not!

8000 posts Onan - christ! :ok:

acbus1
2nd Mar 2006, 12:44
Men have been known to spend fortunes on pussies.

Very upsetting if they turn out to be dogs.

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 12:49
Still, a pooch is cheaper than a cocaine habit. :rolleyes:

UL730
2nd Mar 2006, 12:54
Admittedly 5 quid a day for a mongrel seems high but a complex veterinary operation could easily boost the overall cost of ownership. Throw in a bite on the neighbour's bum and every No Win-No Fee lawyer would be in there with a bark - perhaps the hidden costs could be approaching this figure if amortised over a lifetime.

I've been puzzled by the expression "A dog's for life - not just Friday night"

Am I confusing short term ownership with something else :\

airborne_artist
2nd Mar 2006, 12:57
What's the difference between a wife and a dog?

A dog is always pleased to see you..

Coat, hat etc.

Ozzy
2nd Mar 2006, 13:56
they are very good crap machines...

Ozzy

allan907
2nd Mar 2006, 14:01
...and then of course one's senior golden retriever decides to dine on a container of rat poison and one isn't too sure if junior golden retreiver has done the same, or indeed the dog which is hosting this particular party. Result - 3 dogs down to the vet and a horrrrrrrrrrendous bill. All dogs doing fine though and completely out of danger:ok:

chuks
2nd Mar 2006, 15:27
I am having enough trouble just keeping myself fed during this London low-budget bachelor phase. And when I look at a whole aisle at Sainsbury's full of dog and cat food, none of it exactly cheap, the mind boggles.

Friends in Africa used to get me to house-sit Rover while they were gone. That was so the dog wouldn't get too lonely but also, secondarily, so that the help wouldn't eat the food meant for the dog! The dog was on more money per day for food than they were in some cases. Of course on the other hand, when the robbers come, who ya gonna call? A 45-kilo Rottweiler or some skinny little old man with a wooden club? I know who I would want.

Back in Germany our garden is a paradise for the neighbourhood cats. I assume it's the local version of 'the balance of nature.' Every so often I find a little pile of feathers where one of the cats must have caught a bird unawares and I noticed how nervous the goldfish in the pond are, which I put down to their being stalked. But as far as I am concerned it's just a case of tolerating these four-legged egoists.

I would never think to feed any of them. The nice people across the street have opened a soup kitchen there for stray cats. I think they dine there and come across to our place to ease themselves in the wife's hydrangeas.

And even toleration has its limits. I had been wondering why the garage roof seemed to be leaking right where my motorcycle was parked. Droplets on the rear tire.... Then I saw this one battle-scarred old moggie of evil mien skulking out of the garage just after having marked my BMW as part of his territory. In the fullness of time he came around one day when I was watering the plants with a hose, so that I checked whether it's really so that cats hate water. Well, that one did!

LowObservable
2nd Mar 2006, 15:54
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

- Karl Marx (shome mishtake here shurely - Ed.)

got caught
2nd Mar 2006, 15:54
If the dog's at the front door yapping, and the wifes at the back door yapping, who do you let in first.

The dog, at least it shut's up when its inside.

Just been stung for £262 off our vet- 2 ten minute consultations, a leaflet about not giving dogs human painkillers, and a box of some biscuits called something-profen.

I think its like ibuoprofen, but didn't wanna take the risk with my grannies arthritic stuff, in case it f**ked her up- (the dog, not granny).

Any vets on pprune?

airborne_artist
2nd Mar 2006, 15:58
Ibuprofen is poisonous to dogs, a vet told me.

Confirmed here (http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ibuprofen-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx)

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 15:59
Cats and Dogs.

They're two of my pet hates.

UL730
2nd Mar 2006, 16:03
Just to develop Mr chucks theme a little:

Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996

If a dog defecates at any time on designated land and a person who is in charge of the dog at that time fails to remove the faeces from the land forthwith, that person shall be guilty of an offence (and subject to a fine not exceeding £1000)

Goodness knows what the canine population of UK is but “yer average dog” produces about 0.896lb of crap per day. Now I reckon there’s money in muck and if local councils take up this cause with the same vengeance they have with parking fines – my rough guide to barrack room economics – says we could be looking at a substantial reduction in income tax somewhere along the political timeline.

A convoluted way of getting around to addressing the question “Are dogs worth it” but having developed this exquisitely tuned argument thus far - one is bound to say “providing we can slap a fine on the owner of the excrement producer – then I’m up for a letter to my local county councillor”

4Foxtrot
2nd Mar 2006, 16:05
Not a vet myself but I have a close friend that is (I help him out sending off the odd horse now and then). You'll find that most/some presciptions issued by vets can be filled at normal high street pharmacies. All they do is stamp 'FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY' on the bottle. And I think that it's a lot cheaper too as drugs licensed for humans tend to be a lot cheaper than those licensed only to animals. Some vets sting you for filling their own prescriptions but it is unecessary sometimes.

Having said all that, certain breeds of dogs (border collies are one that springs to mind) are hypersensitive to certain everyday drugs so I imagine your leaflet explains why you shouldn't be tempted to self-medicate to your pets.

So stick to your vets advice, but ask around about getting prescriptions elsewhere.

Safe to say that I have a bottle of diazepam for my 'cat' in case of 'loud noises or fireworks'. :E

flower
2nd Mar 2006, 16:08
I take it the people who made the calculations don't feed their hounds on Tescos own dog food.
Whilst it isn't cheap to have a pet, I cannot agree with the amounts they quote.
I have two hounds and they are worth every penny I spend on the, whilst at times frustrating they give far more back than can ever be quantified.

got caught
2nd Mar 2006, 16:08
ya live an learn -- thanks for that ;)

UL730
2nd Mar 2006, 16:18
Flower

The trouble with Tesco's dog food is that everyone can smell it but only dogs want to eat it. :eek:

What happened to the good old remedy of tripe from yer local butcher?

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2006, 16:44
**** p***s Onan - christ

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

We'll need to sacrifice a virgin to Aunt Mary now :(

shortstripper
2nd Mar 2006, 17:33
I have two dogs and have always had dogs around. The costs described are a load of [email protected]@ccks IMHO ... same as average wages, cost of getting married, bringing up kids ect ect. If the figures these people kept coming out with were true, how the hell would the "average" person make ends meet? There must be some real bloody nutters spending a fortune out there to make those the average figures!

My dogs eat scraps from our meals, supplemented with dry dog food bought in 25kg sacks, I worked it out for our last dog which died at age 17 ... she'd cost a lifetime total of £422 .... most of which was for a course of antibiotics given as a precaution after I sewed up a gash caused by barbed wire.

Mind you .... someone recently let their dogs off for a run along our farm lane. Five dead sheep and a couple of abortions later ... she knows how much dogs [I]can[I] cost. At least she was responsible enough to own up .... most won't adnit their lovable pooch is capable of such carnage! :mad:

SS

lexxity
2nd Mar 2006, 17:37
We buy dog food, a well known brand, in 17kg sacks at a cost of £7 every 2 months. It's enough to feed 3 dogs a big, medium and small one.
Those costs are a load of bolleux.

tilewood
2nd Mar 2006, 18:44
If you love it, you will pay for it! :hmm:

Sailor Vee
2nd Mar 2006, 19:33
What happened to the good old remedy of tripe from yer local butcher?Now it's impossible to get unbleached tripe from your butcher, which used to be the cheap option.

Even cheaper was to 'attend' the local abattoir, and get 'warm' tripes. When at home, drop them in a bath of cold water, and cut up & freeze. Used to feed three Great Danes on 50p a week, mind you, that was the 70s!!

Standard Noise
2nd Mar 2006, 19:37
Lucifer knocks back 48 quids worth of food every six weeks, add to that one big worming tab in the same period, flea treatment every two months, 12 sovs a month for pet insurance (which, despite some peoples' assertions, is worth it's weight when Lucifer gets sick) and her kennel cough, plus a few treats, I reckon that comes to about 1050-ish per year, now, with the best will in the world, she'd have to live to twenty to cost me the 21.5k they reckon she will cost, and the journos are assuming she'll die at 13!

Stormy Knight
2nd Mar 2006, 19:39
Anyone trying to analyze dog ownership in terms of $ is missing the entire point of this relationship. Just ended a 13 year friendship with a dumb, lazy, useless black lab- god I miss him!! His successor is in New Hire class right now and looks to make it to the line.:ok:

av8boy
2nd Mar 2006, 19:55
Missus AV8 just called me to say that she believes she has located the cause of our aging Cairn's diarrhea over the past few days. Bits of one of Missus AV8's nylon knee-highs have been witnessed exiting said hound at the south end. Apparently, the bone-headed dog misses the Missus when she's gone on long trips and has taken to actually consuming items that smell like the Missus upon her return. While I miss her as well, eating her clothing never really occurred to me as a viable solution. I believe I'll have to look to Jerricho for guidance on this. Dunno why, but I somehow believe he'll be able to explain proper etiquette in this situation.

:uhoh:

BlueWolf
2nd Mar 2006, 20:18
Three collies, one Collie-Lab, two Jack Russells, one cat.
They eat about $40 a week between them.
I wouldn't trade even one of them for a billion dollars and a dozen nymphomaniacs.
:ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Mar 2006, 20:42
Working dogs - great. Sheep dogs etc with a real job to do in concert with their owner seems 'right'. The dog is fit and fulfilled, the owner treats the dog with respect for a job well done. Happy team.

Dogs as substitute children, or as 'littel furry human-sustitute' friends' - that's dodgy. The dog (a pack animal that needs a boss or it'll become the boss) is confused by being treated as a human. And humans that prefer to have a dog than a child - that's more than a bit unhealthy. Sure, it'll give no-questions-asked admiration (assuming you are the boss, not it. By no means always the case); but is that worth having?

Grow up and have kids, and get a cat as a pet. A cat's affection you have to earn, and it's therefore worth having. And they don't disturb the neighbours with all that bleedin barking. :}

Richo77
2nd Mar 2006, 23:41
Like most of the other dog owners here, i cant even come close to agreeing with those figures. Supplement of dry dog food bought in bulk, scraps and leftovers and a friendly butchers bag of bones every week lucky to scrap in at $5 a week for a Lab and a Border Collie.

Hell, id spent $100 a week on em if i had too. Best thing in the world and now Richo Jnr (just turned 2) is so familiar with dogs and not scared of them at all.

My dogs even pay their own way though. Lab has had 4 litters of puppies which were all sold. My Border Collie is quite simply stunning, and have had numerous requests (which i have granted) to stud him out. $500 for a confirmed impregnation - not bad.

Also done a bit of still photography modelling work once he'd "had the snip".

Have always had and will always have dogs around.

Brings the cost of household insurance down too!.

Richo

con-pilot
2nd Mar 2006, 23:57
Are dogs worth it?

Very easy answer.

YES!

Yours truly.

Anya and Timber.

(The hell they are, signed Velvet, Panda and Gaby, the superior felines thank you very much!)

broadreach
2nd Mar 2006, 23:58
Let me ask my Korean pal here his opinion on the cost of dog upkeep. :E

But if you really want to keep the dog around, SailorVee's right. Tripe, from an early age.

tinpis
3rd Mar 2006, 03:15
Good idea.
Open a Vet forum on proon.
Is there a vet in the house?
http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/dog-fool.gif