PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite Westerns?

OneWorld22
2nd Mar 2006, 07:33
I've always been a big fan of the genre and always loved the Duke.

For me my 5 all time favourites are:

Unforgiven
Once Upon a Time in the West
Stagecoach
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

And my favourite, the magnificent..

"The Searchers" John Wayne's finest ever film. A brilliant story beautifully shot in Technicolor with such complex characters and storylines. Wayne is just magnificent in this, Ethan Edwards is a dark anti-hero and the film needs several viewings to grasp the little nuances throughout.

There are many other excellent films I left out, The Wild Bunch, The Outlaw Josey Wales, A Fistfull of Dollars, Rio Bravo....

Gordon17
2nd Mar 2006, 08:18
I would agree with you on "The Searchers" as one of the very best.

My favourite is probably "The Tin Star" with Henry Fonda.

And more recently "Open Range" with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall, who was also excellent in the TV mini-series "Lonesome Dove" with Tommy Lee Jones.

"Shane" is great too, though the whiney little boy is annoying.

acbus1
2nd Mar 2006, 08:21
"High Noon"

Brilliant! :D

Sedbergh
2nd Mar 2006, 08:30
Blazing Saddles!!!:p

27mm
2nd Mar 2006, 08:35
Howdy, Pardners, my favourite topic (besides aircraft). Here goes:

The Wild Bunch
A Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
High Plains Drifter
Pale Rider
Hang 'em High
The Magnificent Seven
Winchester '73
The Alamo
Last of the Mohicans
Run of the Arrow
Shalako

BlueWolf
2nd Mar 2006, 08:47
Onya Sedbergh :ok:

"He rode a blazing saddle, he wore a shining star..."

"'Scuse me while I whip this out."

"The sherrif's a ni&&er!"
"What did he say?"
"He said, 'the sherrif's gettin' nearer' "
:D

Rollingthunder
2nd Mar 2006, 09:05
I'll agree with most of the above, especially "Once Upon a Time in the West".

I'll add...."My Name is Nobody".

and Silverado (Today my jurisdiction ends here....get my hat ) And The Quick and the Dead and Pale Rider.

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 09:15
Love westerns,never cared much for John Wayne,True Grit was ok as was the Shootist.

Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
The Wlid Bunch.
The Unforgiven
Joe Kid
Lawman
Ulzanas Raid.
to many more to mention really
:cool:

Farmer 1
2nd Mar 2006, 09:29
I prefer the gritty, authentic westerns, like Support you Local Gunfighter, and Support your local Sheriff, both starring James Garner.

Or the one with Kirk Douglas as a bank robber.

He knocks on the bank door one night. When the man inside opens it, Doulgas sticks his gun in the man’s face and says, “Number one – let me in. Number two – close the door. Number three – open the safe.”

So the man lets him in, and opens the safe.

Douglas: “You forgot to do number two.”

Man: “I did that when you stuck that gun in my face.”

Binoculars
2nd Mar 2006, 09:46
I like westerns. Good escapist stuff. Can't go past the Magnificent Seven as my favourite, though no doubt I will be derided by a film snob and told that the original Japanese version was incomparably superior.

Often wonder if life in the wild west really was as the films would have us believe.

Maude Charlee
2nd Mar 2006, 09:46
Anything with Clint Eastwood.
The Shootist
Once Upon A Time In The West
Maverick (can we include that? It's sooo funny)
Anything with Clint Eastwood.

The SSK
2nd Mar 2006, 09:47
Which was the one about a little Mexican bloke, who had a pistol with a barrel about a foot and a half long, and sat up in the hills knocking off the baddies one by one from a vast distance? I enjoyed that one.

powdermonkey
2nd Mar 2006, 09:48
I am VERY surprised no-one has mentioned Tombstone! It was brilliant, also loved El Dorado ( not the Spanish series ) with John Wayne, Robert Mitchum etc. You've gotta love Magnificent Seven ( first one of course )....you can't beat a good western. Yeeehaaaa, rollin rollin rollin, keep them.....u know the rest

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 10:02
Keep thinking of other ones one has enjoyed,
Chatos Country,Apache Charles Bronson scraggs party of white men who are hunting him one by one in various unpleasent ways,watched it for the first time recently, dunno how one had missed it all these years,and yes Tombstone of course,it followed the actual historical events quite closely,well reasonably closely
Fastest Gun Alive, Glen Ford
Think the remake of Fist full of Dollars, The Last Man Standing was A much better movie then the original,though not technically a western,
Pale Rider Eastwoods remake of Shane was also much better,never liked Shane for some reason,prefer Clints American made westerns to the Spaggetti variety,they seemed quite good at the time but they just seem a bit naff now,the spagetti soundtracks ie, once upon a time ,good the bad and the ugly ect still stand up though.

OneWorld22
2nd Mar 2006, 10:42
Good choices there Drapes. I like all the Sergio Leone films, great, gritty westerns.

John Ford always got the best out of John Wayne. The Searchers is the best example of this.

Buster Hyman
2nd Mar 2006, 10:56
Tombstone, Silverado, Dances with Wolves, Blazing Saddles, Back to the Future III and anything with Terrence Hill & Bud Spencer in it!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/fkr.gif

tall and tasty
2nd Mar 2006, 11:01
Blazing Saddles!!!agree with that and loved Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but only cos of who played in it.

But wheaned on John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and most of the above.

Strangely we always played cowboys and indians with my brothers and sisters and I always ended up being the one tied up to the tree by the indians:O

TnT

powdermonkey
2nd Mar 2006, 11:15
Strangely we always played cowboys and indians with my brothers and sisters and I always ended up being the one tied up to the tree by the indians

Why am I not surprised.....:rolleyes: :p ;) :ok:

BillHicksRules
2nd Mar 2006, 12:17
Silverado, Tombstone and High Noon

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2006, 12:24
Often wonder if life in the wild west really was as the films would have us believe.I'm sure that judging by their portrayals of day to day police work, their understanding of the life of an average teenager or the working of a normal human relationship, their grasp of Physics, depth of knowledge regarding history and the sheer determinism to research it to such uncontravertable levels, well I would have thought the western would simply HAVE to give us an accurate view as to what life was relly like back then.

:hmm:

Rushton
2nd Mar 2006, 12:38
Dead Man (1995)

with Johnny Depp as William Blake and Gary Farmer brilliantly playing the Indian called Nobody.

High Wing Drifter
2nd Mar 2006, 12:42
High Plains Drifter :D

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 12:48
Unforgiven.

(And the same bloke made Million Dollar Baby ???)

4Foxtrot
2nd Mar 2006, 12:58
I'm going for 'City Slickers'. A rip-roaring, side-splitting juxtaposition of grown men from the big smoke confronting their collective mid-life neurosis. On horseback. :hmm:

lplsprog
2nd Mar 2006, 13:07
Any film with John Wayne really but the Searchers gets my vote. One character I used to look forward to in films with John Wayne and Gary Cooper was George "Gaby" Heyes, always made the film for me!

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 13:28
http://tsbolton.com/heroes/gabby1.jpg

Buggah! I'm so old I can remember when Gabby Hayes used to get the girl.
:(

Binoculars
2nd Mar 2006, 14:34
And the same bloke made Million Dollar Baby ???

Terrific movie. You got a problem with that?

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 14:34
Yep. You got a problem with me having a problem?

By the way, my horse doesn't like you laughin'.

Binoculars
2nd Mar 2006, 14:36
Mister, there ain't enough room in this town for the both of us. I want ya outta here by sundown.

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 14:37
Mebbes I will.

If you apologise to my horse first.

Binoculars
2nd Mar 2006, 14:46
I got no grief with your horse, mister. Just you be on that stage outta town by sundown, or I'll plug ya so full of lead you'll drown in the bath.

I'd sure love ta stick around, but my Mom says that I gotta go to bed. *mounts broom, tips hat towards the one female in town, ...."Ma'am"......and rides slowly into the setting sun. Clint's the name. And don't you forget it, nosirree.

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 15:41
Puff.
Puff.
Puff.
Puff.

Mighty strange critter.

Davaar
2nd Mar 2006, 17:54
"Johnny Guitar", with Joan Crawford, Mercedes MacCambridge, Sterling Hayden, and Ernest Borgnine.

The gunslingers Crawford and MacCambridge were a couple of mean "hombres", more or less.

Unique among the genre, I think, in being singled out by the Temperance and Morals Committee of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland (1953 or 1954) as having no redeeming social value whatever.

"Ya don't like hosses. Ya don't like whisky. Ya don't like wimmin. Whut do ya like?"

"Me. Ah like me."

tilewood
2nd Mar 2006, 18:17
'Brokeback Mountain' Don'tja just luv the horse! :D

airship
2nd Mar 2006, 18:27
The best "western" I ever saw was actually one scene from the movie "Kelly's Heroes" (set in WWII):

Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas and Donald Sutherland ambling down the street towards a German tiger tank. The tank's turret and 88mm gun swivelling around towards them. Donald Sutherland's fingers twitching over his holstered handgun... :ok:

Foss
2nd Mar 2006, 18:36
Searchers is excellent.
Also, Unforgiven is rather good.

Can anyone remember the flick with the bad/good guy walking around with nitro glycerine?

scuse spelling of nitro whatever.
Fos

spekesoftly
2nd Mar 2006, 19:27
"Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon, windage and elevation"

JW - 'The Undefeated'. A favourite line, if not Western.

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 19:50
"If Corky had of had two guns instead of just a big dick,he might still be alive"
:rolleyes:

Davaar
2nd Mar 2006, 19:57
Can anyone remember the flick with the bad/good guy walking around with nitro glycerine?
Fos

There was one in the early 1950s "Le Salaire de la Peur" (my French may be wrong) translated as "The Wages of Fear" in which they tried to drive several truckloads of nitro through the mountains to extinguish a well-head blowout in Central America. Each driver was killed. Gripping story. I think the hero was Yves Montand. It was a great movie, remade, but not well in my view, many years later.

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Mar 2006, 19:57
Quigley Down Under - Selleck is an @rse but the chunk of engineering he waved about was a masterpiece. One covets a Sharps rifle...:ok:

Buster Hyman
2nd Mar 2006, 20:03
Would "The Proposition" be classified as a Western?

Romeo Charlie
2nd Mar 2006, 20:53
I can't believe no-one hasn't said 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' yet!!

Quite simply the best Western ever made.

Whirlygig
2nd Mar 2006, 21:08
...er.. OneWorld22 did in his first post!!!

Put me down as another for High Noon. Every time I watch it, I'm pleading with the townsfolk to help Gary Cooper in his fight with Lee Van Cleef (was there ever a better baddie? Maybe Eli Wallach!). The music, the clock, the train, the real-time action in the last few minutes (time it!) and knowing that Gary Cooper was battling stomach cancer during the filming.

Clint Eastwood westerns are always watchable and I would have to put Outlaw Josey Wales above Unforgiven (although they are very similar).

Anyone else seen Cactus Jack? That might be the one Farner 1 referred to!

Cheers

Whirls

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 21:49
Of course, Hombre,Paul Newman,
"How you gonna get back down that hill"
The Proffesionals,Burt Lancaster,Lee Marvin
Actually The Young Guns wasn't bad either.

CoodaShooda
2nd Mar 2006, 22:15
Cactus Jack, with Kirk Douglas in the lead role, Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Handsome Stranger and Ann-Murray? as the Love Interest. Been trying to find it at the Video Store for the past few months for a re-run.

In the same vein, Cat Ballou had to be Lee Marvin and his horse's quintessential role. :8

And then there's the spoof on how the west was won, with columns of miners, temperance women, indians and the cavalry converging on a wagon train carrying whisky in the middle of a dust storm. What was that called?

Whirlygig
2nd Mar 2006, 22:23
It was Ann-Margaret! A very funny film; mind you, I was only 13 when I last saw it!!

Cheers

Whirls

TURIN
2nd Mar 2006, 22:29
THE BIG COUNTRY!!

Mainly for the fantastic music but also for an unforgetable Oscar winning (I think) performance by big Burle Ives.

Chuck Heston and Greg Peck aint bad either, and as for Jean Simmons......knockout!:ok:

Davaar
2nd Mar 2006, 22:56
Cooda, it was called "The Hallelujah Trail".

CoodaShooda
2nd Mar 2006, 23:03
Whirl's
The coodakids saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. Its still a very funny movie.:}

Thanks Davaar. That's the one.

Noah Zark.
2nd Mar 2006, 23:14
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.
Paul Newman as the eponymous Judge.
Victoria Principal as his mistress.
Jaqueline Bisset as his daughter.
Stacy Keach as Bad Bob the Albino Gunman.
Ava Gardner as Lily Langtry, 'The Jersey Lily.'
and several other famous names beyond my recall at this late hour.
Excellent film.

tinpis
2nd Mar 2006, 23:19
"You brought a KNIFE to a gunfight?" http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cowboy.gif

tinpis
2nd Mar 2006, 23:20
"You brought a KNIFE to a gunfight?" http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cowboy.gif

"We done near got ourselves killed for a bag fulla STEEL HOLES?"

"Who ARE those guys?"

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 23:30
"Some of you get that man off the ground and into it"
John Huston as Grisley Adams Mr Zark, you are right of course Judge Roy Bean was a excellent western.
Almost a western, Treasure of the Sierra Madre,the only Bogey movie I had any time for.
Wonder why nobodies thought of a remake, a great yarn,I had the book when I was at sea,musta left it on the ship.

chiglet
2nd Mar 2006, 23:38
I always thought "You brought a knife to a gunfight" was a quote by Sean Connery in "The Untouchables"..as to Sir Sean......Shalako was:yuk: :yuk:
watp,iktch

Buster Hyman
2nd Mar 2006, 23:40
and as for Jean Simmons......knockout!
CRIKEY! Oh...JEAN...not GENE!:O

I might just add Paint your Wagon & Support your local Sheriff into the mix whilst I'm here.

tony draper
2nd Mar 2006, 23:44
She had pleasing features but was way to skinny for me,now Shelly Winters,or Maureen Ohara theres a handfull of western ladies for yer.

Buster Hyman
2nd Mar 2006, 23:48
Sharon Stone was in an awful Western. The horse had a grin though...http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/bud.gif

con-pilot
2nd Mar 2006, 23:49
Has anybody mentioned "High Noon" with Gary Cooper? That was a classic.

"Do not forsake me oh my Darling." (Or something like that.)

Buster, you're right there, didn't Gene Hackman star in that also?

"Silver Something or Something Silver" was the name I think.

tony draper
3rd Mar 2006, 00:04
Always thought High Noon was a silly movie, what was stopping him climbing up on a roof with a rifle and shooting the feckers when they were still quarter of a mile away,that what I wudda done anyway.
:E

con-pilot
3rd Mar 2006, 00:15
The "CODE OF THE WEST" Sir Draper, the "CODE OF THE WEST" it was.

Actually in the 'Real' west of the olden years what you said was exactly what happened. The most common weapons used in law enforcement in the old days was the shotgun and the rifle. Two guys standing in the middle of the street seeing who was the fastest draw seldom happened.

Buster Hyman
3rd Mar 2006, 00:22
Yes con, he was. "Quick and the Dead" I think it was called. Also had Russell Crowe in it as a preacher....Oi vei!:rolleyes:

con-pilot
3rd Mar 2006, 00:28
That's right, "The Quick and the Dead." it was.

Terrible movie, Sharon Stone never got naked.:E

pipersfather
3rd Mar 2006, 00:36
"Paint Your Wagon" a violent and bloody western with Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood. So I thought

Constable Clipcock
3rd Mar 2006, 01:17
Rustler's Rhapsody, starring Tom Beringer. Top notch spoof on the whole genre.

Paint Your Wagon was another good one, as pipersfather points out. Clint Eastwood actually sings in that one! Quite well, I might add.

Rollingthunder
3rd Mar 2006, 01:38
Foss

The film was "A Fist Full of Dynamite". James Coburn and Rod Steiger..

tinpis
3rd Mar 2006, 01:40
"Blazing Saddles " the story of the baked bean in the west.http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_movie/blazingsaddles_02.JPG

Sultan Ismail
3rd Mar 2006, 02:58
My favourites are:
Magnificent Seven
Sunset a great pic with Wyatt Earp played by James Garner getting into Hollywood with Tom Mix played by Bruce Willis and Charles Chaplin as the baddie played by Malcolm McDowell, more than a little bit of truth in that tale.
Gunfight at OK Corral with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas

con-pilot
3rd Mar 2006, 03:03
Too true Sultan, there was a lot of truth about Chaplin in that movie.:uhoh:

If Chaplin had been in Hollywood today it would have been another Micheal Jackson type trial, probably with the same outcome.

strafer
3rd Mar 2006, 08:47
I always thought "You brought a knife to a gunfight" was a quote by Sean Connery in the UntouchablesNearly:

"He bringsh a knife, you bring a gun. He putsh one of yoursh in the hoshpital, you put one of hish in the morgue!

That'sh the Chicago way!"

What a great film.

nutcracker43
3rd Mar 2006, 09:44
'The Searchers' and 'Hombre' for me. I gather the first was based on a true story but have been unable to substantiate this. Anybody know?

NC43

lplsprog
4th Mar 2006, 10:20
"Blazing Saddles" now that was a film with atmosphere especially round the camp fire!

Noah Zark.
4th Mar 2006, 11:20
Although I can't remember the name of the film, and it is eons ago since I saw it, the one with Bob Hope lining up for a shoot-out with the baddie, and everyone is giving him bits of "advice", ....." He leans to the right, so shoot to the left".........."the wind's from the west, so aim to the east", and he gets them all mixed up is very funny.

Rollingthunder
4th Mar 2006, 11:33
"The Paleface"