PDA

View Full Version : Lost Emails - Outlook2003

Fujiflyer
2nd Mar 2006, 06:37
Hi,
If anyone can help me here I would be most appreciative. Yesterday my Win XP became corrupt following removal of a partition on the HDD - I have sorted that out (at least to the extent that Windows will load now), however none of my "Office" software will load. Whilst this is not a big issue for most of my work (files are accessible and already backed up) the big problem is I don't know how or even if indeed I can, get my emails back. Basically I don't understand how they (and their associated file structure) is stored. Presumably, somewhere there is a data file which holds them all and is continuously updated???
Thanks,
Rich

Mornington Crescent
2nd Mar 2006, 08:25
The outlook files are saved in. C:\documents and settings\name\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook they are .pst files

good luck MC

Fujiflyer
2nd Mar 2006, 15:45
Thanks Mornington Crescent, for your help. However when I search for *.pst files I find only an archive one (in the location you detailed), which shows as last modified in 2003!
Are the .pst files used continuously by Outlook to store messages, or just for export / import purposes when this is specifically requested by the user?
Thanks again,
Fuji

Mornington Crescent
2nd Mar 2006, 16:16
Hi FF

If you are using search to find the file. Try ticking the search system and search hidden folders boxes in advanced search. That should do it.

Or navigate to the folder as indicated and make sure that you are showing hidden folders.

It must be there somewhere!

MC

Fujiflyer
2nd Mar 2006, 19:31
MC, thanks again for your help and patience. As you correctly said, the .pst files would be there. I didn't find them earlier because although my computer is set to display all files (inc' hidden ones), the automated search avoided hidden directories, thus skipping them.
I now have the relevant .pst file (personnel folders(1).pst) in safe custody, ready for when I have finished spending the couple of days or so which it will take me to repair the rest of my system... :{
Take Care,
Rich :ok: :O