PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland, YEEEEEESSSSS 3-1

cabbages
2nd Mar 2006, 03:02
Switzerland 3 The Mighty Bravehearts 1

Thankyou Scotland for another hilarious evening of sport.
Keep em coming boys

Bring back Bertie Voights

whiz
2nd Mar 2006, 13:04
'cabbages'
How apt :E

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 13:51
Bizarrely, Graham Taylor had the English rather than the Scottish spelling of his Christian name.

Definitely had a Celtic way about him though....

B Fraser
2nd Mar 2006, 13:57
as I have already said elsewhere....

"And after that p*ss poor performance against the Swiss, we won't win the world cup in my lifetime.

(I'm sure most of the English on this forum will be able to make the same claim)"

.......and my Swiss chums made a point of calling Fraser Towers during the game :{

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 14:28
we won't win the world cup in my lifetimeThat's true enough, but in the interests of changing this thread from lobbing mudpies back and forward over Hadrian's wall...

It wasn't that long ago that Denmark won the Euro Championship with the same population as Scotland. They may have had the Laudrup brothers and Schmeichal - but the Jocks have managed to produce Dalgleish, Baxter and Law. (Admittedly though not in the same generation).

So (insults to one side), why are Scotland so poor at footie these days?

Biggles Flies Undone
2nd Mar 2006, 14:38
What's the difference between the English & a bucket of sh1t?
What's the difference between England and Scotland?

England are going to the World Cup.

Sour grapes anybody? :p

Flypuppy
2nd Mar 2006, 14:41
What's the difference between England and Scotland?
England are going to the World Cup.
I'll bet you a bottle of my favourite single malt they don't win though....
Rumour has it that a few of the tabloids have already got the post mortem headlines ready about Sven not caring etc etc.

Why Scotland is so crap at footie? Lack of a good sports infrastructure (look at the KNVB's youth development system in Holland for an example of how it could work - I believe Denmark have a similar system). The red blaze pitches and weather that is shyte. Deep fried everything and Playstations are much more interesting. Only two halfway decent teams who are staffed by overpaid foriegners.

B Fraser
2nd Mar 2006, 14:47
A very good question. I have to lay the blame at the door of managers who are forced to import talent from overseas. A case in point is my home team Falkirk who have 4 players appearing in the World Cup this year for their respective countries, they will not be wearing Navy Blue shirts.

When I was growing up, I had plenty of local heroes alongside Dalgliesh, Baxter and Law e.g. Gemmill, Jordan, Strachan, Souness to name but a few. I couldn't name any of the current line-up :confused:

Good point about Denmark, I hope our turn comes around soon. Until then, we'll just have to stick to rugby (and F1).

I bet you a bottle of Flypuppy's finest too !

Biggles Flies Undone
2nd Mar 2006, 14:51
I'll bet you a bottle of my favourite single malt they don't....
I'll take that bet, Pups do you want to pay up now?

NB I said England were going to the world cup - not that they were going to win it..... ;)

Ooooooo! You changed your post, Pups - you're still too quick for me :p

Flypuppy
2nd Mar 2006, 14:56
:}

So you up for the bet then Biggs?

Biggles Flies Undone
2nd Mar 2006, 15:14
So you up for the bet then Biggs?
That they go to the World Cup? Of course!
That they win the World Cup? I might consider it if you offer me at least 10-1 :hmm:

Flypuppy
2nd Mar 2006, 15:31
Just a straightforward bet; England win the World Cup and you get a bottle of Glengoyne 17 year old, if they don't you buy me unlimited lager for an evening.

Biggles Flies Undone
2nd Mar 2006, 15:37
if they don't you buy me unlimited lager for an evening.
I've seen you in action, Pups, and that would cost me more than the current overrun on Wembly Stadium!

I'd only take 10-1 minimum out of loyalty to England. They ain't gonna win it - but at least they'll be there :p

CharlieBarlie
2nd Mar 2006, 15:37
Sticking with themes of patriotism..

Apparently if you buy your new England football shirt from a certain high street sports store and England then go on the win the world cup, they'll give you your money back...

...sounds like they've got a whole lotta hope in the national team.

B Fraser
2nd Mar 2006, 15:41
Biggles, if England win, I'll buy you a bottle of cask strength malt and wear and England shirt while doing a morris dance.

If they don't then it's as much beer and curry as I can consume while you wear a kilt, watch your oil being stolen and throw a telegraph pole.

Do we have a deal ?

Biggles Flies Undone
2nd Mar 2006, 16:05
:rolleyes: Nope. I might be English, but I'm not stupid! :p

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 17:08
look at the KNVB's youth development system in Holland for an example of how it could workTrue enough. I played for a sunday league club when I lived there. Two full sized pitches, and an all-weather, and an indoor pitch. Plush dressing rooms with physio's room & equipment. Full bar/restaurant with sauna & massage room.

Slightly different to changing in the back of your car and running onto a potato field.

Until you get a goverment that thinks sport is important (on both sides of the border) I doubt things will change. The :mad:wits in charge are after all the councillers who sold off school playing fields in the '80s.

colmac747
3rd Mar 2006, 21:46
Have a go at the BBC World Cup predictor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/spl/hi/predictor/html/football/world_cup_06/default.stm

I ended up with a Brazil v Argentina final.

England finished second in their group, of course and met the host nation, Germany, in the second round...:ok:

:E

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Apr 2006, 15:37
Brazil vs Argentina final.

England dumped in the Quarter Finals by 'the hand of God' ;)

Binoculars
3rd Apr 2006, 15:47
I'd only take 10-1 minimum out of loyalty to England. They ain't gonna win it - but at least they'll be there

For all the motherland condescension, I think you'll find that's about where Australia lie!

Lon More
9th Apr 2006, 19:52
England are a wunch of bankers (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/prodimages/700/7110.jpg)