PDA

View Full Version : Broadband dropping out - any suggestions?

NG708
1st Mar 2006, 21:29
Can anyone help?

My adsl broadband is dropping out every 2-3 minutes. Tech support, after having me unplug everything in the house, as well as switch the kettle off, have admitted their servers are maxed out, so during the busy times in the evening, the connection is dropped every few minutes. In fact it was 80 times in 2 hours. Absolutely maddending.

They've told me that the only thing that will help is if I pay extra for a static IP.:{

Can anyone tell me if this will help, do all the broadband suppliers have the same congestion problems in the evenings or is there a provider anyone can recommend?

Thanks for the advice.

BOFH
1st Mar 2006, 21:46
Tech support, after having me unplug everything in the house, as well as switch the kettle off, have admitted their servers are maxed out

Get a decent ISP. It has been this way for many years. So-called 'maxing out' means that they cannot deliver what you expect. Look at the PC World awards or broadband fora for recommendations - and make sure they deliver in your area. I have nothing to do with the people I am with (they just get my custom) and will not advertise, save to let your karma guide you.

BOFH

Conan the Librarian
1st Mar 2006, 23:54
Not all is bad. Use the experience of a crap provider to source one with a better reputation. Google up ADSL guide+uk and there will be evidence there of which ines are doing well and those that are, errr. sadly becoming more normal.

Conan

WeatherJinx
2nd Mar 2006, 14:22
I'd go along with all the above. Call your ISP again about the problem, ESCALATE the issue above the 1st line support bod and ask for your MAC code (the number you need to migrate to a new provider). Arguably, you're not getting a service fit for purpose, so you may also have a case under the Supply of Goods and Services Act (http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/supplyofservices.htm).

Whatever the outcome I'd bin them anyway and, as Conan suggests, do some research at ADSLGuide (http://www.adslguide.org.uk) and get yourself a new ISP - but make sure you fire a shot across their bows first :E Truly appalling service you received there.

CherokeeDriver
2nd Mar 2006, 15:03
Get yourself a new ISP and also consider buying an ADSL router rather than an ADSL modem. The router worked exceedingly well for me (Line drops once every 3 months or so). Buying a Static IP address will make no difference if the capacity of your ISP has been reached. An ADSL router will sort out all IP address issues for you anyway - let the ADSL router act as a DHCP server and use NEtwork Address Translation (NAT) and you won't give a flying **** what IP address the ISP assigns the router - it won't affect your PC.