PDA

View Full Version : How much flying while ATPL training?

Cirrus_Clouds
1st Mar 2006, 20:09
How much flying do you do while doing your ATPL training, do you just do the minimum or more than what's required - obviously based on finances?I guess I'm more interested in the answers for people flying in the UK, as hourly rate is different to the USA.I'm personally just looking at whether to do ATPL's and just comparing info with you all. I'm doing the odd bit of flying at the moment, haven't done much flying since passing my PPL during the last 1.5 yrs now, just starting to get back into it now.Cheers

powdermonkey
1st Mar 2006, 20:31
Hi,
Make sure you do enough ( 12 hours, inc. 1hr with instructor and 6hrs P1), before your revalidation date....I just managed it with a few days to spare. Remember you need 150hrs total time to start CPL training so if you can, fly regularly, not only to get hrs up but to keep in good flying shape. I hadn't flown for a year and nine months and had to go back with a instructor in the circuit for a while to make sure I was ok. You do get back into it very quickly, but if you can keep it up, do so. ATPLs consume a lot of time, but no reason why you can't fly once in a while. JUST DON'T LOOSE YOUR CLASS RATING!!!!:ok:

combineharvester
1st Mar 2006, 21:17
I completely agree with powdermonkey. If i may add a few points:
1. Don't "burn holes in the sky" Try and make every trip count, i even did a few sessions of circuits!
2. If you know where you are going to do your CPL then try and get to know that area quite well, as usually you will get sent on CPL nav to the most obscure little 2 house Hamlet known to man! (Some schools may even give you their nav routes to practice!)
3. Try and be more precise with everything! Heading/Alt hold, Checks, you name it!
4. Try and save a few hours to go up with an instructor near to beginning your CPL, and let them be super critical of you!
With regard to item 4, I did my "Idiot & Bad Habits Checkup" today, and it was very worthwhile!

Cirrus_Clouds
1st Mar 2006, 21:20
Cheers for the detailed info on keeping current! :)I'm planning on booking a bulk of days for flying (just hope the good old british weather won't be up to it's tricks!) and lots of studying before hand.I have an aim to fly into Southampton Int. as well as the old trip to France. The 150hrs for CPL, is that P1 or is that "including" dual hours?

combineharvester
1st Mar 2006, 21:22
150hrs Total Time to commence a CPL course, of which 100hrs must be PIC

to get the CPL issued you will need 200hrs Total, but if you take into acccount 25hrs for the course itself, the skills tests and the same for the IR you will be way over that.

Enjoy the British weather!

Cirrus_Clouds
1st Mar 2006, 21:24
Cheers! .. you too! .. even if we're expecting snow LOL!

powdermonkey
1st Mar 2006, 21:30
combineharvester, the 100hrs P1 is for issue of CPL,not to start or even do the test. 150 hrs are total time, and licence issued at 200hrs if modular.

combineharvester
1st Mar 2006, 21:36
my apologies, the coffee must be wearing off....