PDA

View Full Version : Water Meters?

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 15:32
Did one's beady old ears decieve one or did I hear the chap from the water company say that the punter would have to bare the cost of installing these things?
Oh yeh more profit forren,get it passed in law that we must all have water meters, hive the work out to contractors who will hire any buggah with a bag of spanners to do the work, and the water companies and everyone but the customer will be rubbing their hands.
I seem to recal them trying this on once before and wanting to charging the consumer 300 quid for instaling a meter then ripping them off again with the bill.
Well why not, afer all we are a nation of mugs.
:suspect:

Unwell_Raptor
1st Mar 2006, 15:38
Mine was installed free, and since then my bills are about 40% less than before. (Two adults, shower every day, dishwasher and washing machine every day, some garden watering, but not to much and only in really hot weather).

tilewood
1st Mar 2006, 16:00
I have been on a water meter for forty years, but then I do have a small
farm. It does make you very aware of what you are using and what
you are wasting.

Onan the Clumsy
1st Mar 2006, 16:12
meters are the norm, rather than the exception in SeppoLand

acbus1
1st Mar 2006, 16:21
Had one fitted last year. :p

Make sure house insurance covers cost of escaping metered water, otherwise could be loadsa moneee! :uhoh:

No doubt when everyone has one the charges will rise so's we all end up paying what we did in the first place. :rolleyes:

Krystal n chips
1st Mar 2006, 17:59
Got one fitted a couple of years ago---for free as well :ok: Saved a lot of 's as a result---yet oddly enough, nobody ever comes to read the thing:confused: From my perspective. well worth it, but for those avec rug rats and older little brats---maybe not such a good idea and certainly not for anybody on a low income. But I am sure the utilities have our "best interests at heart" of course. :rolleyes:

So far though, only one is planning on fitting the things around Dover--how long before this idea is er, cascaded out as they say. :ooh:

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 18:05
[QUOTE=acbus1]Make sure house insurance covers cost of escaping metered water, otherwise could be loadsa moneee! :uhoh:QUOTE]

I thought meters were installed OUTSIDE. Are you implying that one has to pay if the supply FROM the meter leaks?

jimgriff
1st Mar 2006, 18:33
Having a water meter installed (FOC) was the best thing I ever did. Cut my water bills by more than 50% and I got 2 little jimgriffs, washing machine daily, showers and baths and a dishwasher.:ok:

airborne_artist
1st Mar 2006, 18:52
a dishwasher

Modern dishwashers use less water than washing up in the sink..

Power showers set to max flow when used by teenagers are the problem if you have a meter...

Empty Cruise
1st Mar 2006, 19:18
Don't worry, Drapes! When the first bill comes in the door, you'll in all likelihood have made up the installation cost. In our development we have meters, recently got my bill: 56£ vs. neighbours 129£ :E (and yes, she's on her own, no hubby or kids).

So v. happy with meters! ;)

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 19:24
Water meters are no doubt the way to go,but as the purpose is to make people use water more wisely and it will be the water companies who benifit from this one thinks perhaps its time their sharholders started forking out some cash for a change,all the utillities have been robbing us blind since privitization,and spending as little on the infrastructure improvements as possible.
Twould prolly be a benifit to me,one would only have six inches of water in ones tin bath in front of the fire onna saturday night.
:rolleyes:

tilewood
1st Mar 2006, 19:27
Drapes

Would six inches be enough to cover it, otherwise we could all have
a whip round to put another 50p in the meter!! :ok:

BOFH
1st Mar 2006, 21:21
tilewood

I'm rather hoping that Tony will reply that it will cost another two guineas to cover it. :)

Seriously, though. We had a water leak in our shower which the managing agent and plumber(s) completely stuffed up in fixing. We lost 35,000 litres during that time (I took measurements - a litre every five minutes for around three weeks), but with no meter, it's others who pay for profligacy - a bit like Britain itself.

Being accountable for the water you use can only be a good thing in the long run.

BOFH

tart1
1st Mar 2006, 22:07
We used to have a sprinkler licence (remember them?) as we had a tiny swimming pool (one of the ones you can put up every year) and also a watering system for the flower beds.

We were forced to have a meter fitted about 10 years ago but they have just replaced it because 'it had reached the end of its life'.

Do these things seriously only last 10 years?? :confused:

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 22:38
Do these things seriously only last 10 years?? :confused:

Can't they just refill them with water?

Loose rivets
1st Mar 2006, 22:39
As we were over here quite a lot, I elected to have a meter installed. Cost about 270 fifteen years ago. Well worth it for us, cos we used nowt for a good hunk of the year, and our water 'rates' were horrible.

Mind you, living in Frinton, we did get supplied with Perrier:}

Keef
2nd Mar 2006, 01:17
We had a (free) meter installed here about 10 years ago. The bill reduced by something like 80%. It's up to about 50% of the pre-meter level now. It's a big house with lots of bedrooms, so the "water rateable value" is high. With only two of us here, the meter reveals the true useage.

We tried to get a meter for the Welsh cottage and were told that "for technical reasons" it wasn't viable. The bloke who came to look told me the technical reason (the place next door was fed via our house). I insisted on my right to a meter, or to a non-metered bill equivalent to what I reckoned we used. They accepted that - a 60% reduction. No meter.

I reckon water meters are a great cost saver, especially if you don't use silly amounts of water.

Saintsman
2nd Mar 2006, 07:30
What I want to know is why I can't change supplier and buy my water from somewhere that they have lots of water.

You can do it with gas and electricity. I thought that when these companies were privatised it was supposed to open things up to competition.

acbus1
2nd Mar 2006, 08:57
I thought meters were installed OUTSIDE. Are you implying that one has to pay if the supply FROM the meter leaks?
No, I'm not implying it. I'm stating it.

Our meter is under the kitchen sink.

Any leak downstream of the meter will set the meter a-spinning at your expense.

....unless you're insured.

nobody ever comes to read the thing
A chap waves an electronic reader over a remote sensor (usually on your outside wall) and the reading is taken!

click
2nd Mar 2006, 11:57
The place I'll be moving to shortly is right by small lake (more like a large puddle). The contractor says I'll have to anchor a pool if I ever build one cause it'll float up???? Either way, 6' down and me gets an unlimited supply. Wasn't so lucky when we had a house in Canada....(that's the other side of the Atlantic, right where Cornwall, Ontario is:E ), our water bill wasn't that bad. It was the @!#@$ Toronto council that decreed that since we use water...it has to go somewhere, ie. sewage. I think they used some kind of a ratio of roof area and property area combined with water usage and then stiffed us with the bill. From my misty recollections of the good times, I think the 'sewage' water bill was roughly twice the 'fresh' water bill.

Krystal n chips
2nd Mar 2006, 16:27
A chap waves an electronic reader over a remote sensor (usually on your outside wall) and the reading is taken!

:confused: :confused: Erm, that's news to me then. Must be a magic bit of kit really because in my case ( a) there is no sensor on the wall (b) the meter is in the cellar and (c) the distance from the wall + garden is about 15ft. Ain't techernology great ;)

I don't dispute what you say btw, it's just that I am now even more confused than I am nomally--which says a lot I suppose. :ooh:

acbus1
3rd Mar 2006, 06:00
You do seem to be more remote than most people.

But less of the personality assessments.......

I did say '(usually on your outside wall)'

The literature said that, if it wouldn't fit it in the usual place, they'd put it somewhere else (mmmm....ducky :uhoh: ).

Hey, I'd keep schtumpfffffpff......f (sp?). :}

Blacksheep
4th Mar 2006, 02:47
I thought meters were installed OUTSIDE. Are you implying that one has to pay if the supply FROM the meter leaks?Yes, you're responsible for paying for any water that leaks after its been through your meter.

Although we have meters we didn't often get water bills. When the first one arrived, three years after we moved in, the bill was for $3,600. I didn't believe it was mine - my neighbours pipe had been leaking in my garden, causing a flood so it was obviously his. The water meters for our section were in a group by the side of the road; after turning off the one that matched the serial number on the bill our water continued to flow as usual, so I waited for next door to complain about yet another water cut.

But it wasn't their bill. It belonged to the giant Canadian ex-Hockey player from two doors away who had once thrown a burglar out of an upstairs window in a rage! I quietly turned the meter back on and gave the bill to Mrs giant later.

Paul Wilson
4th Mar 2006, 21:55
To answer Drapes original point, the water meters are free - and you pay for them - both at the same. There is no charge for having them fitted, but as the only revenue for the water companies comes form your pocket, you will pay eventually. The point is (hopefully) that you will end up paying less as they don't have to "develop new water sources", in the case of Dover that was going to mean a desalination plant:eek:

The real scandal is the "standing charge" on your bill. My last bill was 76 for nearly 6 months, but the standing charges accounted for 35 of that (11 water 22 sewerage) so if I doubled my water consumption my bill would go up by only 50%, and if I halved it my bill would only go down by 25%

If the water companies actually cared about us reducing our water consumption, they would move to a "no standing charge tariff" as all energy companies do.

1DC
4th Mar 2006, 23:03
We have had one for some years, fitted free and reduced the water rate by 45%. We are only a family of two now 'though, so usage is not what it used to be when there were three women in the house.. The only thing we cut out was using the sprinkler on the lawn, still do the shrubs when necessary.Our meter is just outside our boundary but i have a key to open it..