PDA

View Full Version : Hi ! iam new here.

flight78
1st Mar 2006, 16:03
Hey everyone ! iam new here thought i might introduce myself. My name is Alexander iam a 20 year old guy. Not a pilot YET;) . Iam very intrested in flightplanning/flight dispatching. As i live in europe one of my dreams are to work on Eurocontrol if the hole pilot thing doesnt work out. I know some pilots and i usually hang out on the airliners.net forum maybe you guys have heard of it?. Iam looking forward to join these forums and get in touch with people here. So feel free to contact me and if anyone wanna know something more about me feel free to ask:cool: .

Kind regards:Alexander

BellEndBob
1st Mar 2006, 16:08
Alexander, welcome to PPrune. I hope you have a thick skin and I wish you luck with your career.

I have never visited your country, but I have seen most of your films....:E

VitaminGee
1st Mar 2006, 16:09
f78 welcome, and good luck with your ambitions!
if the hole pilot thing doesnt work out :eek:

VG

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 16:12
Hey everyone ! iam new here thought i might introduce myself. My name is Alexander iam a 20 year old guy. Not a pilot YET;) . Iam very intrested in flightplanning/flight dispatching. As i live in europe one of my dreams are to work on Eurocontrol if the hole pilot thing doesnt work out. I know some pilots and i usually hang out on the airliners.net forum maybe you guys have heard of it?. Iam looking forward to join these forums and get in touch with people here. So feel free to contact me and if anyone wanna know something more about me feel free to ask:cool: .

Welcome, flight78.
Your English is better than my Swedish (although I do know some Danish).
Allow me to advise you on your English - I am not attempting to criticise you, merely to advise you of your (minor) mistakes.
We can write "I am" or even "I'm" (the apostrophe shows there's missing letters, so "there's" is really "there is".
We usually always write "I" as a capital letter (upper case) when it refers to oneself, even when it's (it is) not the beginning of a sentence. Not done for other personal pronouns (apart from "Him" when it refers to God).

Har det godt! :ok:
(Har det bra?)

Ah - yes!
"hole" is, well, a hole, (Dansk hul) whereas "whole" (hel) is the pronoun (?) meaning "all-embracing" or "entire".

bar fly
1st Mar 2006, 16:18
Welcome F78. Although i appear to be about as new as you, i have been involved on here for a while. As far as language is concerned, i wouldn't worry about anything. You're English seems very good to me. Some people will be helpful (like G-CPTN) and others will take the piss. Just ignore the latter and enjoy your time on here. :ok:

bf

AerBabe
1st Mar 2006, 16:27
You're English seems very good to me.

What can I say?

flight78
1st Mar 2006, 16:40
Thank you so much people for the replys ! and vbmenu_register("postmenu_2423006", true); G-CPTN i will try to think of my english.

This seams like a great place with many very intresting and should i say "cool" people.

bar fly
1st Mar 2006, 16:42
This irritates me AerBabe. I am capable of writing perfectly. What i am not bothered about when in a chat room is taking the time to fret over proof-reading my posts for errors (although perhaps i should have done given the direction of this thread). When chatting informally, the essence is to write something that can be understood perfectly, as my post can. I feel that, unless one writes every one of their posts flawlessly, they should calm down in case they have all of their posts scrutinised for errors in the future.

It really is a relexed sort of atmosphere in here F78!

The answer to your question AerBabe is nothing please. :ok:

bf

(this post was not proof read for gramatical errors)

FirstOfficer
1st Mar 2006, 16:50
Welcome Alexander, make yourself at home, im sure the guys/girls here will show you on the right direction :} :ok:

Grainger
1st Mar 2006, 16:53
Well that is a shame b_f.

If you can't be bothered to present yourself with care, why should anyone else bother to read what you post ? If, as you say, you are capable of writing perfectly, what is the problem with respecting your potential readers enough to do so here ?

Anyway, I am sure that AB was just pulling your leg (or should that be "you're leg" ? :p ) so please don't take it to heart. Normally most of us are quite relaxed about this sort of thing, but you have to admit that a blunder in a statement about good English is bound to raise a wry smile.

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 16:54
This seams like a great place with many very intresting and should i say "cool" people.

"SEEMS", Alex, "seams" are "soem" - paa toj i svejsning.

AerBabe
1st Mar 2006, 16:58
Thank you, Grainger.

BF - No offense was intended. If I had wanted to insult you, I would have done so properly, not with four words. I have no problem with people going through my posts with a fine-toothed comb. It is often through criticism that we learn. And, to be honest, I thought you were taking the piss yourself, with that post.

AerBabe
1st Mar 2006, 17:00
G-CPTN - have you been hanging around any chickens or domestic cats recently? Your spluttering suggests a 'flu-like virus in your system. :}

bar fly
1st Mar 2006, 17:12
Fair enough, I accept that AB was pullin my leg and 'irritates' was too strong a word to use, but there's a difference Grainger between not bothering to present myself with care and making a gramatical error. Also, the quality of the language I choose to use bares no relation to the respect I show to any who might read - what nonsense!

I come here, as I always have done, and I'm sure F78 will do, to chill out and relax and enjoy the forum.

Onan the Clumsy
1st Mar 2006, 17:16
You're English seems very good to me.

Well it would wouldn't it? :} :} :}

whoops! I guess I've just started it all back up again. I'd better not point out that the claim(this post was not proof read for gramatical errors)is demonstrably correct.

:E

bar fly
1st Mar 2006, 17:18
Btw AB, not intended to sound as if i might trawl your posts for errors (how sad) but mentioned because I would never criticise anyone's grammar on here unless I could guarentee that mine would always be perfect. Otherwise I would be a hypocrite!

Geez, can we go back to welcoming F78 now?

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 17:20
G-CPTN - have you been hanging around any chickens or domestic cats recently? Your spluttering suggests a 'flu-like virus in your system. :}

I haven't been feeling myself recently . . . :{

acbus1
1st Mar 2006, 17:24
Hello flight78.

From Sweden , I see. Age 20 you say.

Do you have a sister? :E

bar fly
1st Mar 2006, 17:26
Well it would wouldn't it? :} :} :}

Ok i give in!!!

Btw Onan, you're not from San Antonio by any chance are you? I am going for a few days on saturday so if you can recommend anything cool to see or do i would appreciate it. Is the Alamo worth seeing do you think?

cheers,

bf

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 17:31
Is the Alamo worth seeing do you think?

Wasn't that a while ago now? Think you've missed it, unless they're planning a re-run. It might go to penalties . . .

On February 23, 1836, the arrival of General Antonio López de Santa Anna's army outside San Antonio nearly caught them by surprise. Undaunted, the Texians and Tejanos prepared to defend the Alamo together. The defenders held out for 13 days against Santa Anna's army. William B. Travis, the commander of the Alamo sent forth couriers carrying pleas for help to communities in Texas. On the eighth day of the siege, a band of 32 volunteers from Gonzales arrived, bringing the number of defenders to nearly two hundred. Legend holds that with the possibility of additional help fading, Colonel Travis drew a line on the ground and asked any man willing to stay and fight to step over — all except one did. As the defenders saw it, the Alamo was the key to the defense of Texas, and they were ready to give their lives rather than surrender their position to General Santa Anna. Among the Alamo's garrison were Jim Bowie, renowned knife fighter, and David Crockett, famed frontiersman and former congressman from Tennessee.

The final assault came before daybreak on the morning of March 6, 1836, as columns of Mexican soldiers emerged from the predawn darkness and headed for the Alamo's walls. Cannon and small arms fire from inside the Alamo beat back several attacks. Regrouping, the Mexicans scaled the walls and rushed into the compound. Once inside, they turned a captured cannon on the Long Barrack and church, blasting open the barricaded doors. The desperate struggle continued until the defenders were overwhelmed. By sunrise, the battle had ended and Santa Anna entered the Alamo compound to survey the scene of his victory.

angels
1st Mar 2006, 17:41
Blimey, many moons ago while I was driving around the southern U.S. I tried to find the Alamo. Drove all around the deserted town (it was well over 100f) and finally gave it up as a bad job and so headed west.

I now know from the above posts that I could have driven around Phoenix, Az until the cows came home. I would never have found the Alamo.

Until a few minutes back I could have sworn it was in Phoenix!! :eek: :eek:

And may I nominate this thread as the most wonderful example of thread drift so far this year!! :}

Onan the Clumsy
1st Mar 2006, 17:44
bar fly, sorry, I'm in Dallas, though you might give Loose Rivets a shout as I think he lives down that way. I've been to SAT a couple of times, but can't really remember anything other that the Alamo and the River Walk.

I have heard that the Alamo isn't even on the original site anyway and the River Walk is just a collection of bars and restaruants. It's quite attractive, but it's really there to alleviate some of the pressure your wallet might be feeling from all the cash that it's carrying.

Texas Highways is the travel magazine for Texas and they might have a web site with more info. It's actually quite a nice part of Texas down there and if you time it right, you'll see the hills alive with the colours of wild flowers.

Send Loose Rivets a PM cos I bet he has loads more info than wot I do :ok:

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 17:46
Santa Anna entered the Alamo compound to survey the scene of his victory.

Santa ANNA!
So they were beaten by a GIRLIE?

goshdarnit
1st Mar 2006, 17:49
OK, just can't resist it, although I am sure I will open myself up to vitriolic attack: Bar Fly - "bares no relation"? Glad to hear it!!!

Pedantry is my right / write / rite* !!!

*delete as appropriate

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 17:56
Engrish as she is rote.

(Take no notice of this Alexander)

frostbite
1st Mar 2006, 18:12
My Great-great-great grandfather was killed at the Alamo.

He wasn't involved in the fighting - he was camping nearby and went over to complain about the noise.

Welcome to the madhouse, F78.

Farmer 1
1st Mar 2006, 18:20
Flight78,

Welcome!

Do you always have this effect on people? Have you ever thought of becoming a politician?

AerBabe
1st Mar 2006, 18:53
OK, just can't resist it, although I am sure I will open myself up to vitriolic attack: Bar Fly - "bares no relation"? Glad to hear it!!!

Pedantry is my right / write / rite* !!!

*delete as appropriate

Oh dear, you'll upset him again. I was carefully ignoring that post. :rolleyes:

powdermonkey
1st Mar 2006, 19:21
For all those of you critical of other poster's spelling, give it a rest will you?
I am sure you are all aware that not all are English speaking, and I would love to see you post on French/Swedish/Italian etc forums. Just appreciate the fact that people come here in good faith and make an effort to communicate, spare them your criticisms it truly is a waste of forum space.

AerBabe
1st Mar 2006, 19:29
Blimey, what happened to the sense of humour here?

I remember the days when we could take the piss out of each other to our hearts' content...

powdermonkey
1st Mar 2006, 19:54
mmmmmmmmmmm...sick of studying and feeling grumpy:* but still...

Lon More
1st Mar 2006, 20:01
Oh God; it's the first of the month and it's already going to hell in a handbasket. Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps

AerBabe
1st Mar 2006, 20:16
Studying ... grumpy ... I can relate. :ugh:

LM - Get back in your iron maiden or it'll be no pudding for you tonight.

Onan the Clumsy
1st Mar 2006, 21:00
For all those of you critical of other poster's spelling, give it a rest will you?
I am sure you are all aware that not all are English speaking,Does that mean we can still take the piss out of the ones who ARE English speaking?

Ahem...anyone care to comment on the position of the apostrophe in other poster's spelling?

:}

powdermonkey
1st Mar 2006, 21:03
quite correct that should have been posters'......erhem! Damn it, I read over it too so as to not get caught out!!!:{
In my defense, English is NOT my first language.......did I spell "erhem" right?

Buster Hyman
1st Mar 2006, 21:53
Well done flight78, you've got your very first thread drift!

Just be gratefull that it wasn't like that one where someone spelt fetching incorrectly....:ugh:

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Farrell
1st Mar 2006, 22:00
Thread drift.....mmmmmm

So anyway Buster, how's life treating you? Any gossip?

Fliegenmong
1st Mar 2006, 22:01
Quote: greatfull

No I won't,.....welcome 78

How doo yuu doo the kwote thingy n e way??

powdermonkey
1st Mar 2006, 22:05
highlight passage you wish to quote, then in the reply box, select the icon which looks like a page with lines in it( last one on the right). Select icon and then copy the passage you highlighted.

Shud wee go bak to velcomin our gest?

Buster Hyman
1st Mar 2006, 23:00
I thought the errors were mandatory?:confused:

Hi Farrell! Yeah, things are going okay. Not much goss at the moment. How's ya Mum? Say Hi from me.

Lon More
1st Mar 2006, 23:17
Must get new glasses, I thought Buster said felching
(Why have we got a U.S. English spellchecker here? - or is that just my setup? It gives leching, belching, filching and fletching as alternatives)

Minty Fresh
1st Mar 2006, 23:35
Welcome F78 - Not a good great result for you guys tonight!! - Powdermonkey would have been happy if it wasn't for the study (and the french-ness) ;)

So no one spotted Onan's "restaruants" fow par then !! :} (I know it's faux pas)

Now I'm really off 'cause I can't spell for toffee !!

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 23:42
(I know it's faux pas)

Do the French have a word for it?

Minty Fresh
1st Mar 2006, 23:48
I think its f*$K up

powdermonkey
2nd Mar 2006, 00:00
Powderminkey is ALWAYS happy Minty, especialement avec le French-Ness!!

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2006, 00:12
My Great-great-great grandfather was killed at the Alamo.

He wasn't involved in the fighting - he was camping nearby and went over to complain about the noise.

Welcome to the madhouse, F78.

Best hoot of the day:ok:

I love San Antonio. It is, or at least was, very laid-back.

The Alamo is worth a visit, see the original Bowie knife...I think. But for me, an afternoon and evening down by the ‘Riverwalk' is a good way to get mellowed out. There are all sorts of restaurants there, but also a couple of jazz clubs that still play a lot of the old ‘evergreens'...you know the stuff, ‘A Train' and all that...er, jazz. You can walk for miles along the water's edge, on lovely stone paved paths, with huge trees every so often. I get to thinking how early travelers must have felt first seeing the water.

To really enjoy it, you have to coincide with moderate temperatures, and the only way to do that is to be exceedingly lucky. Today, for example, I'm suffering slight sunburn... 88f and blue skies. A couple of days ago, it was a freezing 65f (I'm getting used to the heat, cold sucks.) But most of the summer it will be around 90-100f

Back to the Alamo. It's very much in the heart of the town, and not too far from the river. But should you want to see the other Alamo, you will have to head out West for some considerable number of miles.

Looking for pikkies.

Buster Hyman
2nd Mar 2006, 02:18
I forgot about the Alamo...:confused:

pigboat
2nd Mar 2006, 04:37
Back in 1836 Houston said to Travis,
Get some volunteers and go,
Fortify the Alamo.
Well the men came from Texas and from old Tennessee
And they joined up with Travis
Just to fight for the right to be free.

Indian scouts with squirrel guns,
Men with muzzle loaders.
Stood together heel and toe,
To defend the Alamo.
You may ne'er see your loved ones,
Travis told them that day
Those who want to can leave now,
Those who fight to the death let them stay.

How can you forget great stuff like that? ;)

flight78
2nd Mar 2006, 07:52
OK you guys thank you for all the welcomes :) even tho a small drift of subject occured.

Cheers !

colmac747
2nd Mar 2006, 08:33
tho

Does being Swedish allow you to take the piss out of our language?:confused:

Welcome Alexander*

* or Ale, Lex,

:}

Farmer 1
2nd Mar 2006, 08:42
Meanwhile, back at the Alamo:

A hundred and eighty were challenged by Travis to die
By the line that he drew with his sword when the battle was nigh.
“Any man who will fight to the death cross over,
But if you want to live you’d better fly,”
And over the line went a hundred and seventy-nine.

Two great songs, two great singers.

chuks
2nd Mar 2006, 08:58
When they made the movie I bet they left out the big argument about, 'What do you mean, "There's no back door!"' Of such things is history made.

Now I go off to have my head stuffed full of CAA-mandated nonsense, to return and check for checks of my grammar and speling.

bar fly
2nd Mar 2006, 09:20
Cheers Onan and Loose Rivets for the information. My hotel is right on the Riverwalk which sounds ideal. Hopefully it will be warm there next week because it is freezing in Manchester!

edited to remove an offensive spelling mistake

Buster Hyman
2nd Mar 2006, 10:01
I've always wondered why those chaps at the Alamo didn't just grab a heap of the rentals out the back & drive away?