PDA

View Full Version : Flight training in Malaysia

|Ken|
1st Mar 2006, 14:40
Hi everyone. I had found a new flight school in my country. They had offer both civil and military training course. The CPL/H course duration is 1 years and i think it takes too long. Is it a good school? Please give me some advice. Thank you.

http://www.integrated-avac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=58

HillerBee
1st Mar 2006, 17:15
It seems a very, very professional outfit. Also it looks extremely expensive. The do initial helicopter training on an EC-120!! As they describe it a year isn't to bad, since you do 600 hours of groundschool like in the JAA system. It seems to me if you want to work in Malaysia it's the best option.

By the way I couldn't find prices on their website. What does the CPL program cost???

Lunar
1st Mar 2006, 18:25
Sounds a little like advertising...

Paranoia, who said that?

Lunar

Vertolot
1st Mar 2006, 18:27
HillerBee,

I think that an important note when you go for initial helicopter training is that as many hours as possible is done in Helicopters (not fixed wing).

Flying fixed wing is really nice as well, but I think that you are better off when trying to find that first job if you have as many hours as possible helicopter experience!

I should try to find a course were all flight training should be done in helicopter, even if it was a Robinson R22 (whichs is an excellent trainer:cool: ). If you do all your CPL training in piston engine helicopters it's then easy to do a turbine type training later on.

I'm note sure but the DGA (if I remember right, Malaysian CAA) will maybe recognise a JAR licence (you might only need to do the Malaysian Air-Law Exam) which is very close to the JAR (old UK CAA rules!). It might be worth checking up with the Malaysian authorities.

There is a guy in Malaysia who is Robinson's dealer and I know that he had some plans couple of years ago to start up helicopters training in Malaysia, I think it was in KL. Hes name is Cliff Fournier, contact him and see if he have any training available?

Good Luck;)

Jordan3054
1st Mar 2006, 20:50
Ken

This school has a contract to train Malaysian Military pilots(helicopters), so thats why they use the EC-120. They also have an R44 for training. The chief pilot is also ex Mil, Capt Khairuddin.

They do part of their training on fixed wing and the rest on the EC120. When I rang, they said its about US$70,000 (GBP)40kif you do it in the R44, but you will only have 100 rotary hours.

Yes there is a guy called Cliff who wants to start a heli school with an R22. From what I know, he charges RM1000 an hour, which is about 155 British pounds. You can email him at [email protected]

Hope this helps

Jordan

HillerBee
1st Mar 2006, 21:45
Vertelot,

I just gave a comment, I'm already a commercial pilot and flight instructor, with a good job.

Vertolot
2nd Mar 2006, 04:54
HillerBee,

My appoligies, I made a mistake! The reply was for Ken of course:O

Have a good day,

|Ken|
2nd Mar 2006, 13:46
Thanks everyone. I had contact Cliff Fournier but i got no respond.

My goal is to work in Canada someday. May be it is better to train in Canadian flight school? :)

HillerBee
2nd Mar 2006, 15:04
If Canada is your goal you should go there. There are very good flight schools in Canada and it isn't that expensive. By the way in Canada you only need a 100 hours for a CPL (105 with night rating) and you go for the CPL straight away, without getting a PPL first. You also can get a student visa which allows you to work for a max. of 6 months.

WLM
3rd Mar 2006, 13:21
Ken
My ringgit worth of advice
If you're Malaysian, have the funds, then do the license in Malaysia. This school in Ipoh has progressed somewhat since they first started last year or so with only one EC120. Our days, a few more EC120's and the R44 Raven make it a lot more attractive for flight scheduling. One year how well time goes by quite quickly especially under the local regulator exams scheduling...
The local regulator does not like foreign trained pilots and make it harder than what it should be when you wish to convert. I always found it amusing as most Malaysian civilians helo pilots were trained overseas then had their license automatically issued by the local regulator upon their return with minimal flight experience.
You might not be able to join ITS for a while as they are quite heavily booked. So if you're Malaysian, go to Oz or NZ, do the CPL(H) for 1/2 of the Malaysian cost then come back. Your problem might be to build a few hours then. I know the heavys (MHS) are always looking for Co pilots, so could be an entry point for you.
Vertolot
In Malaysia, all exams are based on fixed wing, nothing at all on helos. You're also treated like a fixed wing by ATC. So a little training on fixed wing is helpful for the local scene.
Already put my comments regarding license conversion by the local regulator. However if you have an ICAO ATPL with over 1600 hours and 400 hours with an AOC operator, then all is required is the Airlaw exams and flight test. But it can change at the local regulator discretion...
The other operator mentioned can only provide PPL training and is currently not available.
Anyway Ken, the world is getting shorter of experienced helo pilots, so if you have the funds GO for it. Have perseverance with a vision and you will get there. Good luck

Jordan3054
3rd Mar 2006, 13:30
. Your problem might be to build a few hours then. I know the heavys (MHS) are always looking for Co pilots, so could be an entry point for you.

As far as I know, even MHS's minimum hour requirements are much higher than that of a basic CPL(H) holder, so building hours will be difficult in Malaysia as there are only a small handfull of operators as far as I know?

I guess this is the same all over the world, but as I say, theres only a small number of operators in M'sia as far as I know

Ken, dont forget as what WLM says, if you CPL(H) overseas, and come home with a min of 400 hours the Malaysian DCA makes it easier for you to convert your license as they give you some exemptions

Jordan

WLM
3rd Mar 2006, 13:41
Jordan3054

It is 1600 hours TT and MUST include 400 hours working as a CPL holder or higher for an AOC operator. Sorry maybe I did not make it clear in my previous post.

Regards
WLM

Jordan3054
3rd Mar 2006, 13:47
WLM

Sorry if I am confusing things.

Its just that I spoke to someone from the DCA, and he told me that if a Malaysian has a foreign CPL(H), with 400 hours TT, they will have certain exemptions (I am not sure what exactly tho), but not as many exemptions as someome with 1600TT and 400 hours with an AOC operator.

Regards
Jordan