PDA

View Full Version : LFBO Closed Due "Riots"

tug3
1st Mar 2006, 13:03
Signal saying LFBO a/d closed until 1800 "Due to riots on runway".

Is this for real or a sp mistake?

Any more details anyone?

Rgds
T3

captjns
1st Mar 2006, 13:04
Great!!! Maybe I'll have another day off:)

captjns
1st Mar 2006, 13:56
NOTAMS Checked and called company :{ Not true... have to work

wiggy
1st Mar 2006, 14:02
Nothing in the local media about this ( but it will at least force me to watch the evening News for once) - but watch for next Tuesday's National day of Action.....

wiggy
1st Mar 2006, 17:37
OK, the story from TV this evening.
There were no riots but there was a Student Demo that started outside the boundary fence but ended up with a sit-in on the airfield, apparently on one of the runways. Some flights were diverted to Bordeaux, disruption etc. Local TV crew just happened to be on hand to film sit-in, students marching around the outside of the Terminal and also inside the Terminal. My mind boggles at what the police would have done if this had happened in the UK.

All seems to be part of the growing unrest over planned change in Labour Laws (as I understand it).

Norman Stanley Fletcher
1st Mar 2006, 17:58
I can tell you what would have happened in the UK. The police would have arrested any passengers who got stroppy over what was happening and charged them with breach of the peace. Any student who felt 'threatened' by any adverse reaction to their sit-in would have demanded compensation from the airport authorities for not protecting them during their illegal occupation. Then the student would have received a load of money from the airport followed by another load of money from 'The Daily Mirror' to tell their true story about the emotional distress they suffered during the whole experience. All very depressing - but such is life in the UK today!

Ranger One
1st Mar 2006, 18:13
And in France, in the old days, the CRS would have tear-gassed them, perhaps broken a few heads... runways are a no-no. Picket the terminal if you must, but leave my bloody runway alone!

R1

ATC Watcher
1st Mar 2006, 20:44
And in some other country , the students would have probably been shot when crosing the fence,and anyone complaining about this afterwards would have been labelled as " not supporting the war on terrorism "

oneeyed
1st Mar 2006, 22:16
And there is people complaining over some stray cows ona runway in Port Harcourt. :{