PDA

View Full Version : Air Rage - Swift Justice Greek Style

newswatcher
14th Jun 2001, 14:30
Source not known:

"A Russian man who was taken off a Cyprus Airways flight from Russia to Cyprus on Saturday(9/6) was sentenced to six months jail by a Greek court yesterday.

The Cyprus Airways flight had diverted to Thessaloniki Airport in Northern Greece after the man allegedly became drunk and abusive."

How long does it take in the UK,a year?

JPJ
14th Jun 2001, 17:35
Assuming that the defendant pleads guilty (and most do) it takes more or less seven weeks from Airport to Magistrates to Crown Court, and thence to the Scrubs or wherever. A plea of not guilty, with witnesses having to be gathered from all over the world, lawyers briefed, and so on will of course take longer.

newswatcher
14th Jun 2001, 18:54
JPJ,

I was referring to the Britania 757 incident in November 1999, on the flight from Newcastle to Tenerife when, having got drunk, the guy eventually threatened to open the door at 30,000ft.

The guy pleaded guilty to "causing an affray" last month, and was jailed for a year at the beginning of this week. Not clear what he pleaded(plead?) back in 1999, but 18 months is a long time for justice!!

JPJ
15th Jun 2001, 00:27
I can't comment on that one, as I haven't read the reports. A lot of people go right to the wire before changing their plea to guilty ( I saw one a couple of months ago, where four Jumbo crew were brought to the UK as witnesses, and the defendant changed his plea on the morning of the case).

All delays harm the cause of justice though, whatever the reason.

paxman
15th Jun 2001, 03:11
Untoward speed of course can harm justice too. In fact probably more so than delay.