PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet

phil_2405
18th Feb 2006, 11:26
Has anyone used this yet? I don't think the service has been officially announced yet but I found this on their website:
Can I check in for my flight on the Internet?
Question
Do you offer online check in facilities on easyJet?
Answer
At present online check-in is available only between Edinburgh and London Stansted as part of a trial. This trial may be extended to other airports within the easyJet network, so keep checking the website for further developments. You can only use this service if you carry hand baggage only.

Seems rubbish that you're given boarding group D if you use the service. Ryanair's service will allow people using OLCI to board 1st.

bmibaby.com
18th Feb 2006, 14:15
Personally I think putting passengers who use online check-in in boarding group D is the best option, considering that these people will only have to arrive at the airport about 15 minutes before STD. Therefore, passengers who do not use OLCI still have an incentive to arrive at the airport nice and early so that they get the best choice of seats, whilst the incentive for OLCI passengers is they get to arrive at the airport as late as possible, almost like strolling onto a bus.

Lite
18th Feb 2006, 14:28
I can only speak for EMA but the check-in/boarding procedures for easyJet involve having one PSA assisting pax with the self-service-check-in machines, and then one PSA who works on the bag-drop belt from just before 2 hours before STD. 30 minutes before departure, the two go through to the gate to board passengers, usually meaning the gate is set up 20/25 minutes before departure time.

The passengers who have made the effort to get to the airport early should be rewarded by having a low boarding pass number to get onboard first. This is the whole point of the open seating policy. Passengers who decide to use online-check-in, so that they can get to the airport as late as possible bypassing the airport hassle, will board last, but will not have to get to the airport early. So take your pick early & first aboard, or late & last. It's fair & will be easier to handle. I'm dreading to see the Ryanair terms & conditions for OLCI.

phil_2405
18th Feb 2006, 16:19
Anyone know when/if OLCI will be available with easyJet from NEMA?

Powerjet1
18th Feb 2006, 17:05
Anyone know when/if OLCI will be available with easyJet from NEMA?
Received this email from easy re some fortcoming flights I have with them. Start date not actually specified.
Online check in is now available on:
- All flights from Edinburgh
- All flights from London Stansted
- All flights from London Gatwick
- All flights from Glasgow to London Stansted
- All flights from Bristol to Edinburgh
- All flights from Nottingham East Midlands to Prague
- All flights from Nottingham East Midlands to Geneva from 23 February
- All flights from Amsterdam to Edinburgh (from 21 February

ryanride
1st Mar 2006, 12:34
RTE WEBSITE: 1st March 2006

British low-cost airline easyJet said that it will start flying to Africa for the first time with a new route to Marrakesh in Morocco from July.

Wonder will Ryanair follow suit ?

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0301/easyjet.html

spanishflea
1st Mar 2006, 16:27
Istanbul and Rijeka both look very interesting as well!

jamesbrownontheroad
1st Mar 2006, 17:14
From the mouth of the orange horse:

Another first as new markets beckon for easyJet

easyJet, Europe's leading low-fares airline, today announced an expansion into three new markets – all outside the EU.

From this summer, easyJet will be taking its familiar brand and famously low-fares to new customers in the bustling cities of Marrakech, Istanbul and to Rijeka, Croatia’s third-largest city.

Over the last 10 years easyJet has brought low-fares to 18 countries in Europe and expects to carry in the region of 35 million passengers this year. Today about one-third of Europe’s population live within one hour of an easyJet airport.

All three destinations should prove popular with passengers travelling for both business and leisure reasons that, until now, have had to put up with the high fares charged by the traditional airlines.

easyJet becomes the first major European low-fares airline to start services from London to the most vibrant cities of Turkey and Morocco and, in doing so, expands its operations into these wholly-new markets that are increasing their business links with Europe.

Andrew Harrison, easyJet Chief Executive, said:

“This is probably our most significant expansion since the start of our new routes to Central and Eastern Europe in May 2004. easyJet continues to seize opportunities and to stay ahead of the industry – both geographically and technically, as highlighted by our recent introduction of on-line check-in.

Croatia, Turkey and Morocco are forging an ever-closer relationship with the UK and Europe. As a consequence, the demand for low-fares to these countries is growing quickly, and easyJet will be in a unique position to benefit from this development.

Wherever we go low fares speak their own language and we look forward to bringing our unique combination of low-costs with care and convenience to the long-suffering passengers to Istanbul, Marrakech and to Rijeka who have had to put up with high fares for too long.”

easyJet will launch the following four routes this summer:

London Gatwick to Marrakech 4 July Daily
London Luton to Istanbul 29 June Daily
London Luton to Rijeka 30 June Four times weekly: mon, wed, fri, sat
Basel to Istanbul 29 May Four times weekly: Outbound - mon, thu, fri, sun Inbound – tue, fri, sat, mon

Note the Basel-Instanbul schedules... will this be the first time a scheduled Easyjet crew has overnighted?

*j*

newscaster
1st Mar 2006, 18:29
To Africa and Asia http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060301/afp/060301120746eco.html

Stanstedeye
1st Mar 2006, 18:55
Great news from EZY, but have they not considered the ramifications of excluding STN from their expansion plans. Because the result will be their loss to another airline, i.e. like the ATH service .

Stanstedeye

Getoutofmygalley
1st Mar 2006, 19:47
Note the Basel-Instanbul schedules... will this be the first time a scheduled Easyjet crew has overnighted?
*j*

It might not be an overnight. What if the outbound was scheduled for a departure from BSL at say 20:00 local, it wouldn't get back until the wee small hours of the following day, so it is possible we might still be doing the 20-30 min turnarounds, and coming home the following day.

Personally, I think this is great that we are now expanding outside of Europe. Hopefully this is just the first of lots of new non-EU routes :ok:

cheekycapt
1st Mar 2006, 21:25
Wonder will other low cost operators be starting new routes to Africa and the East like Easyjet ? ?

Sanjo
2nd Mar 2006, 13:28
Great news from EZY, but have they not considered the ramifications of excluding STN from their expansion plans. Because the result will be their loss to another airline, i.e. like the ATH service .
Stanstedeye
The fact that someone else is flying from STN to ATH, doesnt mean that easyJet has lost to another airline...
That same airline tried to take them on EDI and GLA too, but didnt seem to work for them. Plus, ATH was announced to start in May and the first flight currently available is now 24 June 2006. Not the strongest message about their sales.
Flying STNEDI and STNGLA on 40% loads is one thing, but flying ATH on 40% loads is another!!!
Sanjo

Stanstedeye
2nd Mar 2006, 18:29
Loadings on STN-ATH with the present schedule was always going to be difficult, as GO found to their cost with a similar STN-TFS schedule.
Saying that you must give them credit for giving it a try. EZY chose not to, and in my opinion to their cost, for like it or not STN is a major airport now & where a business opportunity arises if EZY decides in a negative way, others will take the lead.

Stanstedeye

LTNman
2nd Mar 2006, 19:46
Stanstedeye

Don’t be greedy as Luton needs to play catch up. Anyway Luton has a much bigger catchment area than Stansted not that this seems to matter to most airlines.

ryan2000
2nd Mar 2006, 20:05
Anyone know why EZY Are reducing their frequency on LGW ORK from 3 per day to 2 per day from late July to early September before reverting once more to 3 per day. Seems strange to take out a flight for the busiest six weeks of the year on UK- Irish market.

crackling jet
2nd Mar 2006, 21:38
anything new on the horizon for bristol, e.jet gone a little quiet as of late ?

Sanjo
3rd Mar 2006, 12:33
Loadings on STN-ATH with the present schedule was always going to be difficult, as GO found to their cost with a similar STN-TFS schedule.
Saying that you must give them credit for giving it a try. EZY chose not to, and in my opinion to their cost, for like it or not STN is a major airport now & where a business opportunity arises if EZY decides in a negative way, others will take the lead.
Stanstedeye

I can give them credit for giving it a try... I am not sure their Board will give them much credit for it though... It looks to me that they are throughing money by all these "tries". You can tell they are not a plc by those choices of routes. If they were, such routes and head-to-heads would be questionable (to say the least) by shareholders.

WHBM
3rd Mar 2006, 15:02
Wonder will Ryanair follow suit ?
Ryanair have to date decided to keep their operations entirely within the EU where they can operate what they like without all the route licence complications that are needed when going outside.

Easy have had a base in Switzerland, outside the EU, since their early days, so are more used to this.

Regarding which of their 3 London bases Easy use to serve new destinations, it seems to be an absolute lottery at the moment. There probably is some logic, but I can't see it.

toledoashley
3rd Mar 2006, 17:13
This weeks TTG is reporting that more destinations are going to be announced next week.

HH6702
4th Mar 2006, 10:49
Lets hope there are a few new routes out of ncl then.
lets see if ncl get there 7th aircraft?

Madrid?
Venice?

Doug the Head
4th Mar 2006, 10:53
*j*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Keep dreaming mate! You obviously never heard if the "night Athens" from LTN...! :ugh:

devon_guy
5th Mar 2006, 14:26
Flybe were crowing about Easyjet copying their business model and they said on the website....

Flybe understands the needs of the business traveller and offers pre-assigned seating as an added complimentary benefit when travelling on Economy Plus unlike Easyjet who seek to charge for this service.

So does anyone know anything about this?? I guess if they are going to charge people to pre-allocate seats, everyone is going to have to be given a seat at check in otherwise there will be a right fiasco, someone sat in 3A when you've paid to reserve it!

phil_2405
5th Mar 2006, 14:49
easyJet are trialing a service where you pay £5 and get to board the aircraft first aren't they? so they are not allocating seats but are giving some people the chance to choose their seats first.

devon_guy
5th Mar 2006, 14:51
Oh right I wasn't aware of that

night hawk 150
5th Mar 2006, 15:46
phil 2405

any idea of what will happen if everyone pays £5 to get first dibs on the best seats (again it will be a nightmare)

the only way i see this happening is that they assign seats on check in and tuff if you don't get a good seat (IE window seat or exit seats)

Craig

devon_guy
5th Mar 2006, 15:48
My sentiments exactly! If 50% of passengers opt for the £5 enhancement its not really going to be that special and will still result in utter chaos

Flightrider
5th Mar 2006, 15:56
This has been ongoing for some time and easyJet only make the service available to 30 pax per flight, not more. You effectively get the chance to pay extra for a boarding card in the 1-30 group called for boarding first.

Now if they only took the extra six seats out of the 319s, reduced to 150 and put the first five rows at higher 34-35 inch seat pitch, they could charge even more for this product and cut costs by removing the fourth cabin crew member from the flight. I'm sure the revenue from selling these seats on every flight would outweigh the revenue loss from the 10-15% of A319 flights where the last six seats are occupied.

smith
5th Mar 2006, 18:09
I always thought that this should be an option on loco's. You could actually choose your seat online (at cost) double for an emergency or bulkhed. Then print it off on line for example a large 12A printed on your confirmation.

Obviously flight number and date of travel match. Passengers in possesion of one of these would be allowed to board first, then the rugby scrum would start. If you turn up late you lose your seat and join the scrum.

symphonyangel
5th Mar 2006, 20:11
Do pre-boards still board ahead of those paying this premium? Some flights can have 20+ pre-boards.

easyboy
6th Mar 2006, 09:25
Do pre-boards still board ahead of those paying this premium? Some flights can have 20+ pre-boards.

Yes thats why they are called pre-boards

phil_2405
6th Mar 2006, 19:37
As a result of serious disruption to the flying programme as a result of extraordinary circumstances, easyJet regrets having to cancel the following flights:

Any ideas what the serious disruption is?

Doug the Head
6th Mar 2006, 19:44
[I]Any ideas what the serious disruption is? Well, if you´re looking for a spectacular headline I have to disappoint you.

What´s the one thing all those cancelled flights have in common? Yup: FRANCE. Guess who is on strike today? French ATC ring a bell? :hmm:

phil_2405
6th Mar 2006, 19:45
I was just looking for the reason! I saw it was all French flights yea but I didn't realise they were on strike today.

Thanks for the reply.

Doug the Head
6th Mar 2006, 19:48
No worries mate! :)

Bagmanlgw
7th Mar 2006, 06:00
Heard that Easyjet will also announce another new route from LGW later this week ? Any ideas .
Seems stange that they did not announce them all together ?

ezyBoh
7th Mar 2006, 08:25
New routes are:
BRISTOL to:
KRAKOW, LA ROCHELLE, MARSAILLE, RIJEKA, TOULOUSE
LONDON GATWICK to:
SPLIT
LONDON LUTON to:
BORDEAUX, RIMINI
EDINBURGH TO:
ALICANTE
PARIS ORY to:
AJACCIO
Enjoy, more to come soon :ok:

easyboy
7th Mar 2006, 09:14
Wonder if there will be any for East Midlands Airport

ezyBoh
7th Mar 2006, 09:18
Does seem strange that EMA has been forgotten about, may be the presence of BMi.

Fingers crossed ...................

lplsprog
7th Mar 2006, 09:24
and LPL, as easyJet said they would not be outdone by Ryanair who now have 20 destinations to easys 17.

Jamesair
7th Mar 2006, 16:44
Newcastle are hoping for the long rumoured aircraft No. 7 with some new routes.

phil_2405
7th Mar 2006, 16:59
Wonder if there will be any for East Midlands Airport

As far as I am aware easyJet have no plans to expand from NEMA in the short or even medium term :{

WATABENCH
7th Mar 2006, 18:43
does this know mean BRS has more ezy routes than STN and LTN? that would make BRS the busiest base behind LGW wouldnt it?

King Pong
7th Mar 2006, 19:04
does this know mean BRS has more ezy routes than STN and LTN? that would make BRS the busiest base behind LGW wouldnt it?

LTN has 32 easy routes with 19 based aircraft for the summer

Powerjet1
7th Mar 2006, 19:06
And 924 weekly easy flights into/out of LTN

MerchantVenturer
7th Mar 2006, 19:18
WATABENCH,

BRS is the largest UK base outside London, according to easyJet's press release, the relevant bit of which is below, although I don't know where the 70 departures comes from - I suppose they really mean departures and arrivals.

easyJet's Bristol operation now accounts for over almost 10% of its total network, making it the airline’s largest UK base outside of London with close to 70 daily departures and 8,500 passengers every day.

WATABENCH
7th Mar 2006, 19:27
BRS 30 routes served! not bad for an airport that most people consider a small regional!
STN 26 routes i think

LTNman
8th Mar 2006, 14:18
I hear that an easyjet aircraft had some sort of engine fire today at EMA. The aircraft was not carrying passengers.

phil_2405
8th Mar 2006, 14:49
I believe it was a suspected engine fire - fire engines and ambulances were in attendance (suggests pax were onboard?)

pieboyjr
8th Mar 2006, 20:06
Are there none for NCL either?

eggpops8
9th Mar 2006, 12:52
I believe it was a suspected engine fire - fire engines and ambulances were in attendance (suggests pax were onboard?)
Why
Would the fire trucks not turn out to an engine fire if no pax were onboard????:confused:

phil_2405
9th Mar 2006, 18:25
I meant would a fleet of ambulances turn up if no pax were on board?

mmeteesside
9th Mar 2006, 19:34
So the crew don't deserve ambulances?? :confused:

mmeteesside

phil_2405
9th Mar 2006, 19:37
Of course they deserve ambulances but I was told at least 5 ambulances were in attendance!

Silvertop
9th Mar 2006, 21:40
Thats correct one ambulance per crew!:ok:

MerchantVenturer
13th Mar 2006, 18:47
I've been reading a Passenger Survey website and several have commented adversely on the practice of allotting boarding group D to those pax who opt for online check-in.

They said they were not aware this would happen (as far as I can determine easyJet don't mention this practice in their web press release on the subject).

These people seem to be implying that those who check in online should be in some way rewarded by being given a priority when it comes to boarding.

If this were to happen and everyone began to check in online then easyJet would finish up with a Ryanair-type free-for-all because everyone would have the same high priority status.

BRS30
13th Mar 2006, 18:52
As from the 1st March - Online check-in was available on all routes from BRS

FirstOfficer
16th Mar 2006, 08:13
Hello,

Anyone with any info that Easyjet is planning a base(hub) in Portugal? Is it true?

Regards

orangetree
16th Mar 2006, 09:31
You'll need to slot that one in behind Malaga and Nice. These rumours crop up annually to no avail.

jettesen
16th Mar 2006, 11:40
it's true! planning a base in lisbon..................tho not until next year

CAT III DUAL
5th Apr 2006, 08:58
All hands, abandon ship, or what ?? :}

Regulatory announcement from LSE:
"FL Group realises profit from easyJet investment
Approximately EUR 140 million realised profit from time of initial investment
FL Group ("the Company" or "the Group") announces today the sale of its 16.9%
stake in easyJet in an international placement with JPMorgan as sole bookrunner
and JPMorganCazenove as joint lead manager. The estimated proceeds from the sale
of the holding amounts to approximately EUR 325 million.
By selling the stake FL Group has realised a profit of approximately EUR 140
million giving an annual return of around 70%, far surpassing the firms' target
investment objective of 20%. Proceeds from the sale will be channelled into new
investments during 2006.

From the time of its initial investment in easyJet in October 2004, FL Group has
had periodic contact with other owners of the airline as well as its management.
FL Group believes that the easyJet airline has great prospects and the sale of
the stake at this time is primarily due to other investment opportunities.

Hannes Smarason, CEO of FL Group:
"FL Group first invested in easyJet just under two years ago and the investment
has proved to be a great success which has provided a foundation on which we
have built FL Group. We have enjoyed being an investor in easyJet and believe
that the company is well placed within its industry and has a bright future.
Nevertheless, realising profit from the investment was appropriate for the FL
Group at this time. We are working on several interesting investment projects
and the sale gives us the opportunity to look at more projects and of greater
scale.

The sale of our easyJet holding does not affect our other investments in the
aviation sector and we remain committed to our investments in Icelandair,
Sterling and Finnair."

Share price down 9,55% today :hmm:

Bob Down
5th Apr 2006, 09:02
70% profit... pretty good business from their point of view.
Who bought the shares?
Ryanair????
:bored:

ETOPS773
5th Apr 2006, 12:12
This has NOTHING to do with the rumours here of easyjet being a bit...uneasy.

The REAL reson why this is explained below in the link:

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/10592/is-iceland-facing-a-meltdown.html

Basically their monetry system is in turmoil due to the international carry trade unravelling.

international hog driver
5th Apr 2006, 15:44
773 who is your dealer? because what he's been selling you must be too good!

Maybe.
Just Maybe.

The Icelandic’s see what we all seem to have been know was coming. Training capacity limits, unhappy pilot group, silly season is just around the corner.

Either that or they just wanted to take the money and run. Look what happened to the share price afterward.

Well strike this one up to smart investors. Who’s next?? There are plenty of other airlines in similar boats to EJ

Buster the Bear
5th Apr 2006, 19:13
The value of easyJet has slumped since the Icelandic's sold their stake:

Wednesday, the price of shares in easyJet slid by more than 11.0 percent to 318.0 pence. The stock later closed down 8.66 percent at 327.0 pence, giving easyJet a market value of 1.33 billion pounds.

dusk2dawn
5th Apr 2006, 20:35
Are they going to off-load Sterling as well?

Irish Steve
5th Apr 2006, 22:20
Proceeds from the sale will be channelled into new
investments during 2006.

Aer Lingus perhaps??????????

MEON VALLEY FLYER
6th Apr 2006, 07:07
Just normal investment business from what I can see. There was never going to be a take over. Besides if it wasn't for them, the share price would never have been driven up. After all easy aren't setting the world alight with profits, yeild and asset holdings.

Desk Driver
6th Apr 2006, 07:35
No one can deny that the Iceleandic economy is very overheated at the moment. But, bailing out of a successful company would not be the answer, unless they we're cash strapped. However, my contact at FI tell's me that they're not coming under any increased pressure to reduce costs further at the moment, so I'd say they did this for commercial not economic purposes.

In my experience When you asked to photocopy on both sides of the page thats the first sign of limited Cash left or a sale. Neither which it seems apply to the above

Desk Driver
6th Apr 2006, 07:42
Should be reassuring to all affected courtesy of ATW

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=4611

Bokkenrijder
6th Apr 2006, 09:46
This has NOTHING to do with the rumours here of easyjet being a bit...uneasy.

The REAL reson why this is explained below in the link:

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/10592/is-iceland-facing-a-meltdown.html

Basically their monetry system is in turmoil due to the international carry trade unravelling.
So if Iceland´s monetary system is in turmoil, then why would an Icelandic company sell it´s 16,9% stake in a foreign company?

Proceeds from the sale will be channelled into new
investments during 2006. They obviously have found a beter deal than EZY with all it´s "bright future."

In one way management in EZY can breath a sigh of relief as the threat of a take-over seems to be reduced, although it´s not sure who bought the shares that the FL Group dumped. (didn´t they hire an expensive consultancy firm for advice regarding this matter a couple of months ago?)

On the other hand you can ask yourself why did the FL Group sell it´s multi million Pound stake in a company with a "bright future?" :suspect: :\

swedish
6th Apr 2006, 20:35
FL never said they wanted to buy Easyjet and this was a normal investment. FL are not aviation guys - unlike Avion. FL are just in to make money and leave. Maybe they buy Finnair, but don't expect them to intergrate, or do anything to get the airlines to work together as they want the flexability to get out whenever there is a good return. Don't think this is the last interesting move by FL or the Icelandics in the airline industry, rumour has it there are some really interesting moves to come.

jds_portugal
15th Apr 2006, 06:02
Are you sure that they are planning in lisbon?

TartinTon
15th Apr 2006, 06:26
Definitely planning for LIS. Would have started this summer but couldn't get the slots as LIS is pretty slot constrained.

brian_dromey
16th Apr 2006, 09:33
IF I were the FL group I'd be pulling my muney out and running back to Iceland as well. U2 face a period of turmoil. Since they took over GO in an ego fuled attempt to out grow FR costs have soared, and fares have too. Crews are all poorly turned out and trained.
Take the decision to to kit out the A319s in a 156 pax layout...it required structural changes to the aircraft and required an extra crew mwmber to be carried, yet only 7 more pax seats are available...not so cost effective, me thinks...
U2 737-300/700 crew to pax ratio 49.667:1
U2 A319 crew to pax ratio 39:1
FR 737-800 crew to pax ratio 47.25

no matter how badly paid the crews may be costs on a per seat basis wil always be higher for easyJet, add this to the need for airstairs and the bizzare use of airbridges, and thing get worse.

U2 has tried to position itself away from its tradtional niche, and to appeal to business passengers, this wont work, business passengers want flexability and service, not a constant birrage of selling and scowling, and cheap catch phrases...c'mon lets fly...(with someone else)

easyboy
16th Apr 2006, 09:48
Crews are all poorly turned out and trained.
I take great exception to that comment, the crew are not poorley turned out and we are certainly not poorley trained.

The uniform isn't the best (this is changing for both flight and cabin crew), but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what the crew have on, as long as they have the ability to do the job, which I am confident in saying everyone I have the pleasure of flying with has.

Comments like those above should be kept to yourself.

easyBoy

phil_2405
16th Apr 2006, 10:03
Agreed, I've flown with some great easyJet crews.

Bokkenrijder
16th Apr 2006, 10:15
I don´t quite agree with the comment regarding training as I think it´s not bad at all. Not great, but not bad either.

However, regarding the structure of the company I have to agree with Brian on this one.

It seems as if EZY has cornered itself and is now desperately trying to reinvent itself. It appears to me as if EZY has admited defeat and has given the real "low cost" market to Ryanair whilst concentrating on the business market.

All in all I think our new CEO will be facing a tough battle in weeding out the amateuristic/short term mentality within EZY´s middle management and replacing it with competent people, able to manage a 100+ fleet with a cristal clear long term business plan! :\

rubik101
16th Apr 2006, 13:10
I think Mr Dromey should learn to think a little and do some research before he puts pen to paper and spouts such utter drivel about the training in easyJet. If I knew who he was, I would invite him to a ground school/simulator session and see if he thought after a few hours of that wether or not he considers the crews to be poorly trained.
If you want to write rubbish, get a job with the Star. If you want to read rubbish, read the post by Mr Dromey.

Orange Peel
16th Apr 2006, 13:32
Do a search on Brian Dromey and you'll find he's never very complimentary about easyJet.

Obviously we lost his bag and this is the best he can do :mad:

Just Browsing
16th Apr 2006, 13:56
Sounds like O'Leary to me.

JB

juninho12
16th Apr 2006, 14:03
When are the new uniforms rolling out? Any pictures on how they will look?

What other developments are underway at easyJet?

brian_dromey
16th Apr 2006, 14:20
I think Mr Dromey should learn to think a little and do some research before he puts pen to paper and spouts such utter drivel about the training in easyJet. If I knew who he was, I would invite him to a ground school/simulator session and see if he thought after a few hours of that wether or not he considers the crews to be poorly trained.
If you want to write rubbish, get a job with the Star. If you want to read rubbish, read the post by Mr Dromey.

As a passenger my opinions are formed when I fly with different carriers. EasyJet, did not leave a good impression on me, and as a customer I make no appologies for that. It smacked of amatuer managment and poor back-up(rather like the carphone wearhouse).

Just to clarify, I have no problem with easyJet people, I just feel that they are being let down by 'managment' at easyLand who have totally lost the plot. Fares are not all that cheap(ork-lon even EI are almost always cheaper)and worse still U2s yields seem to be poor.

Crews try to do the best they can, but the planes are tatty, the uniforms vile and the back-up non existant. If rubik wants to prove otherwise I will more than happily take up his kind invitation. Untill then I stand by every last one of my opinions, observations and statments, after all as a passenger, my perogitive is important, and easyJet should listen to its passengers and its crews, instead of meaningless managment 101 jargon.

bmibaby.com
16th Apr 2006, 14:26
I have never been disappointed with any easyJet flight that I've taken out of EMA or LTN. Whilst the 737 Classics may not be the spring chickens they once were, the A319s & B73Gs I flew on were certainly not tatty, and the crews have always ensured that the cabins were tidy. Uniforms are perfectly well suited to the type of work that EasyJet crews do, they're informal but still smart. I hope the new uniforms will not be a standard suit, when Southwest tried this it was a huge flop because crews couldn't be as informal with the pax, as well as them being less successful at turning their planes in 20 minutes.

easyJet do far more to please the passenger than Ryanair. I've never been delayed, had a bag gone missing or found fault with rude staff on any flight I've taken with easyJet. I'm not saying these things never happen, but I would put them as one of the best airlines in Europe for customer satisfaction especially considering the fares they charge.

Just one thing - PLEASE get rid of open seating. It's the only thing I think that lets EZY down! :mad:

MerchantVenturer
16th Apr 2006, 15:05
I'm a regular easyJet pax too, albeit a leisure one so I can usually take advantage of the low fares by booking early (I recently paid £15.98, incl tax, for a return Bristol-Newcastle jolly).

I don't know what aircraft Mr Dromey has flown on with easyJet but my experience out of Bristol is that the aircraft are new, or almost new, and invariably clean and comfortable.

Perhaps we are lucky in the West Country because BRS soon got rid of the 737-300s to be replaced by the NG 700s, and now the base is almost entirely new A 319s (it may be completely so by now, although the BFS and NCL flights are worked by B 737s from those bases).

The easyJet cabin staff in my experience have been as efficient (and often friendlier) than as those on other airlines.

My only criticism is the awful cabin staff uniform that makes them look like tyre fitters. Nothing wrong with tyre fitters BTW, they perform an important service, but I don't expect flight attendants to dress like them.

A small moan and something I can easily put up with given the other more important easyJet virtues.

Golf Charlie Charlie
16th Apr 2006, 22:19
I also think easyJet do a creditable performance, especially given how cheap the fares can be. Aircraft are generally spotless, crews are OK (if occasionally a little over-friendly/'matey', but then I am an old geezer). I dislike free seating as well, but I suppose it goes with the territory, and I can live with it given the seat prices. I am sure others here who say easyJet at the corporate level are facing some serious upcoming commercial pressures (as no doubt are much of their competition) are correct, but the ordinary passenger's experience can be a lot worse on other carriers. I think in various ways easyJet is the best bet for being the long-term survivor in this sector of the business.

rubik101
17th Apr 2006, 10:16
It seems, after reading the previous few posts that Mr. Dromey is flying with another airline, indeed, if he finds the fares so good on Ryanair, then I would urge hime to fly with them and never darken one of easyjet's nice new aircraft doors again. Passengers like him they can do without. Please heed your own advice and fly with someone else.

As for his comments about bussines passengers wanting flexibility and service, I have to wonder if Mr. Dromey, with his poorly trained spelling is really a bussinesman at all. (muney, fuled, wil, flexability, birrage) I know, cheap shot!

The argument about easyjet, Ryanair et al and poorly or badly trained crews has been gone over so many times in this forum that it seems absurd for someone to bring it up yet again. But as someone rightly pointed out, Mr Dromey has never had a good word to say about easyjet, ever. just for the record Mr. Dromey, easyjet crews, both cabin and flight deck, are trained to exactly the same standard and using the same methods as ALL the other UK registered airlines, including BA. The reputation, amongst those who know about such things, is that easyjet's training is of an exemplary standard within the UK indusrty.

In my experience the cabin crew have never once scowled and on the whole have been friendly and helpful. As a passenger I never feel unduly pressured to buy anything from them. I will concede that the uniforms do leave a lot to be desired. As for the assertion that easyland at Luton have lost the plot; just what is the plot in the first place Mr. Dromey? How do you know if it's been lost if you know nothing about the plot in the first place?

Enough of this!!

Why do I bother rising to the bait? It gets me every time!!

Happy Landings.

ATNotts
17th Apr 2006, 10:18
GCC you make a good point. Why do cabin staff have to be dressed in casual uniforms, and be announced by first name only? And, the scrummage of free seating is a definate negative.

The more traditional "airline" attitudes of carriers like Air Berlin, who retain some formality, in both dress and cabin management are much more preferable to me - and I suspect may of the older travelling public.

bmibaby.com
17th Apr 2006, 10:43
As mentioned both in this thread & in the thread about 20-minute turnarounds, cabin-crews at low-cost airlines are able to perform their job functions more effectively in a less traditional uniform. Southwest found when they had a traditional suit for their crews, that it impeded their ability to perform 20-minute turnarounds, as well as getting rid of a lot of their zest for the job as a suit is particularly restrictive. I find that the easyJet uniform manages to pull off the right balance between smart (there are definitely elements of the Go uniform in there) with casual (no ties, puffa jacket as opposed to suit jacket.) I prefer my crews to be friendly, rather than acting like they have a stick up their a*se, a frequent complaint mentioned when discussing crews from legacy airlines, although admittedly this is a stereotype. It breaks down the barriers between someone in a uniform & the customer.

easyboy
17th Apr 2006, 12:20
We are getting a new uniform (however this probably won’t be rolled out until very late this year/early next year, as it will need to be put through its paces to see if it does impact on 20 min turn arounds etc).

There are some things I like about the uniform at the moment but there are bits of it I can't stand - but the main thing is it's functional to the job that we do as cabin crew and with it being so orange – it stands out.

People are entitled to have their say about airlines, how they operate etc, but one thing that annoys me is when people start to have a go at airlines that they know almost nothing about – No names will be mentioned.

The aircraft that easyJet have are as everybody knows are the 737-300/700 and the Airbus A319, slowly but surely the company are moving over to the Airbus A319, BRS is in the last stages of converting to it (only 1 Boeing left), Edinburgh, Glasgow and Liverpool are converting over this summer and that will only leave Luton, Newcastle and Belfast with the Boeing (and most of them will be the 737-700).

easyBoy

GW76
17th Apr 2006, 13:01
attitudes of carriers like Air Berlin, who retain some formality, in both dress and cabin management are much more preferable to me - and I suspect may of the older travelling public.
Not just the older travelling public- I much prefer traditional airline formality.;)

jettesen
17th Apr 2006, 13:53
As a passenger my opinions are formed when I fly with different carriers. EasyJet, did not leave a good impression on me, and as a customer I make no appologies for that. It smacked of amatuer managment and poor back-up(rather like the carphone wearhouse).
Just to clarify, I have no problem with easyJet people, I just feel that they are being let down by 'managment' at easyLand who have totally lost the plot. Fares are not all that cheap(ork-lon even EI are almost always cheaper)and worse still U2s yields seem to be poor.
Crews try to do the best they can, but the planes are tatty, the uniforms vile and the back-up non existant. If rubik wants to prove otherwise I will more than happily take up his kind invitation. Untill then I stand by every last one of my opinions, observations and statments, after all as a passenger, my perogitive is important, and easyJet should listen to its passengers and its crews, instead of meaningless managment 101 jargon.

the planes are not at all tatty - LGW are all airbus fleet which are all less that 1.5 yrs old. there are a hell of a lot more airlines out there with tattier cabins

p.s the current uniform came out well before the merger with GO, so there are no elements of the GO uniform in it

brian_dromey
17th Apr 2006, 18:18
I thik it is completely un necessary to try to knock a persons opinion in such a way. So I can't type...and for your information I am not a 'business man' as you put it, nor have I ever claimed to be.

Emotions have clearly been stirred by my commets and I wish to clear up a few areas...
1. I have never called into question the issue of safety on any easyJet(or other airline) flight, I do not know enough about the safety standards imposed by the relevant authorities...and the airlines involved. To do so would be highly unfair and irresponsable on my part.
2.I have no preference for any lo-co airline, many people have commented that 'we lost his bag...its the best he can do' and I sound like MOL. Just to clear that one up, I like FR even less, they are so utterly 'hit and miss'-from a service and back-up point of view.
3.'the plot'(ie the whole poit of u2) is to have low costs and simple service propositions.Its original marketing called on people to fly to scotland for the price of a pair of jeans, U2 seem to have abandoned this oroginal niche.It takes more than low fares to attract business passengers. Lokk at airlies that have moved outside their original niche...ACA/Independence air is the most obvious and recent example.
4. Low costs and simplicity go together, in my himble opinion. Take for example the merger with go...this must have created a huge amount duplicted posts. Airline mergers dont usually work, not even southwest could do it.
5.The extra row really is a squeeze on the a319s. I suspect that airbus added that row to make the economics of the A319 more attractive(im not blaming u2 for this),as it would also give better seat-mile costs, especially as the u2 order had to be 'stolen' from boeing.I doubt that the extra crew member is warrented, if U2 removed those six seats from the 319 and trimmed the cabins in a more robust cloth or leather fabric the product would be more attractive. Even in row 1(a-c) your basically on the crews lap!

The crew were chattin about the crewing arrangments during taxy and it seemed(june 05) that crews were being moved all over the system due to shortages, they two crew also spoke of the difficulty in assigning tasks to four rather than three crew members.

To sum-up there is not a major problem with U2. As I said before I believe that they are let down by those at easyLand. People at u2(and all the other lo-cos) have a really tough job to do and are at the mercy of managers to make the correct decisions on their behalf. At the ed of the day its the crews who will suffer IF the day comes when the business models dont work, for what ever reasons.

easyboy
17th Apr 2006, 19:00
Even in row 1(a-c) your basically on the crews lap!

they two crew also spoke of the difficulty in assigning tasks to four rather than three crew members.

The passengers on the front row are a bit close, but hey ho, its only for a matter of minutes at the beginning and the end of the flight.

Obviously I can't comment on the crew's conversation that day, but on the airbus all 4 crew members are assigned roles to carry out during the flight(s). To begin with it is difficult to get used to having 4 crew rather than 3 (as I know we recently converted over ourselves) but its something you soon get used to and you all slot into your assigned tasks that day.

rubik101
17th Apr 2006, 23:24
Mr Dromey wrote; I thik it is completely un necessary to try to knock a persons opinion in such a way.

I knock your stupid opinion simply because of the stupid statement you made regarding the fact that the crews are poorly trained. Either apologise and admit you are wrong on this point or stop writing about someting you quite evidently know nothing about.

Why do I rise to this bait yet again? Help!!!!

brian_dromey
18th Apr 2006, 11:19
I knock your stupid opinion simply because of the stupid statement you made regarding the fact that the crews are poorly trained. Either apologise and admit you are wrong on this point or stop writing about someting you quite evidently know nothing about.
Why do I rise to this bait yet again? Help!!!!

OK, for the final time, I never knocked the safety aspect of U2s' training. Indeed quite the opposite in fact.
I personally dont like the way the crews interact with passengers, its forced and tacky. some crew are fantastic, while others are dour, and sour.(bad day maybe), so why bother to pretend that to some crew members SLF is anything more than a pain? Many airlines dont, and get away with it.

Im not going to pretend that easyJet is the best airline in the world, or my favourite, so theres really no need to say my opinions are stupid, they are every bit as valid as anyone elses'. easyJet has a ten year, unblemished safety record, and clearly a lot of people love where they work/love to fly with easyJet, maybe Im wrong, looking at 'Airline' last night I began to have a change of heart, I think Im gonna have to give the big orange bus a try soon...hey! I hope Im wrong about easyJet service, I really do.

xana
20th Apr 2006, 17:51
it's true! planning a base in lisbon..................tho not until next year
I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPPPPPYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
where did you get that info btw? do you work at easyjet? i've already applied via their website... i was called for an assessment day, i postponed it because i couldn't go on that day... and then they offered me another date and i couldn't go either as all flights are getting more and more expensive now that the summer is approaching!!
i would LOVE them to come here and hold an open day... do you think they'll do that? shall i email them exposing my situation and asking them if they're planning on coming here for an open day?? thank god... i mean i really hope what you're saying is correct... I NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE... URGENTLY!!! and i really like easyjet's philosophy... and i think i'd be a good hire for them as i am a portuguese native and therefore this would be useful for flights to portugal and spain, for example. anyway please clarify this for me.. i would be so happy! especially because i wouldnt have to go and spend more money just to go to an assessment day!!!! hotel, flight,etc can come to over 300 euros, if not 400, especially if it is in short notice (which is the case most of the times when you're called for an interview)! 400 euros is half a salary here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's minimum wage too!!!
anyway, i EAGERLY hope to hear some good news... i'm desperate for good news! lolol
thank you so much in advance, you've made my day! ;) :O :O :O :O :ok:
xana
(ps: this should really be in the easyjet assessment day thred in the cabin crew section, but i saw this here so i posted here! ;))

Getoutofmygalley
20th Apr 2006, 18:59
Unfortunately Xana, if you e-mail easyJet with your situation, they will not confirm or deny any plans for a base in Portugal. Unfortunately, if they told you either way, this would be a divulgence of market sensitive information which could potentially affect the share price.

easyJet will only announce that a base will open ONCE ALL the necessary paperwork has been completed and all market research on the viability of a Portuguese base has been carried out.

In other words, you will only know when we the easyJet crew know :sad:

ezpz
21st Apr 2006, 12:33
There are rumours of new bases all the time. Most of the rumours that appear on here are usually wrong. Very few people were predicting Milan MXP as a base before it was announced. There have been rumours of Spanish bases for the last three years, but nothing announced to date!

Rumours I have heard circling the crew room this month include a new base in South Germany and a new base in Poland. Who knows? We will see.

If anyone wants a job at a new base, you best bet is to apply now and get inside the company. Internal staff will always be transfered into a new base first before easyJet recruit externally.

Doug the Head
21st Apr 2006, 13:56
If anyone wants a job at a new base, you best bet is to apply now and get inside the company. Internal staff will always be transfered into a new base first before easyJet recruit externally. Total NONSENSE!! Try explaining that to the numerous pilots on waiting lists who get bypassed by direct entry FO´s and direct entry captains!

The best way is to apply, pass the selection and then negotiate a good base!

I know lot´s of folks that did it this way and it works. Like I said before, I also know loads of people who joined EZY, accepted a LTN base because EZY is always short of people there (guess why!), then put themselfs on a waiting list and who are now still on a waiting list!

One thing is for sure Xana: NEVER accept a TRSS 737/LTN base, as you will be stuck on the Boeing and therefore stuck in Luton/UK!

xana
21st Apr 2006, 14:28
Thank you Doug the Head. Actually, when I applied to easyJet last month (for CC), i did make a preference for Luton, simply because it flies flights to lisbon from there, so i thought i'd be closer to home. but why is luton so bad? and do you really think the rumours of opening a base in lisbon are only rumours?

ryanair1
21st Apr 2006, 14:39
come and work for Ryanair - we will be opeing a base soon in Portugal

xana
21st Apr 2006, 15:11
you have to pay for your training though dont you :|

Getoutofmygalley
21st Apr 2006, 15:16
Thank you Doug the Head. Actually, when I applied to easyJet last month (for CC), i did make a preference for Luton, simply because it flies flights to lisbon from there, so i thought i'd be closer to home. but why is luton so bad? and do you really think the rumours of opening a base in lisbon are only rumours?

Xana

Doug The Head is flight deck, so you can ignore the comments about Luton. I think Doug was thinking you were wanting to apply as a pilot and not as cabin crew.

xana
21st Apr 2006, 16:28
thank you, Getoutofmygalley :) the olny reason i would pick luton anyway is because it flies to portugal (lisbon)... sigh... i just hope they'd open a base here in lisbon... that would be GREAT

Doug the Head
21st Apr 2006, 16:36
Yes that´s correct Getoutofmygalley, I wrongly assumed Xana was applying as a pilot.

Xana, I think for cabin crew it might be easier as most are dual qualified (airbus and 737) so base changes are less of a problem!

Luton.... :{ Some hate it, others hate it less. Go check it out for a couple of days, hop on a flight (if it´s not cancelled due to crew shortage :rolleyes: ) and see for yourself if you like LTN!

Boa sorte! :ok:

xana
21st Apr 2006, 17:01
thank you Doug The Head!:ok: ;) nope, in fact, i'm applying for cabin crew.. i was already meant to have gone to an assessment day but couldn't for different reasons (if you read my posts on other threads you'll see).. but, if you don't mind me asking, from someone completely oblivious to the pilots' world, the world of easyjet, etc etc, why is luton not a very good place?
and yes, the point you made about being trained on different aircrat type is v. important i think, making it easier to transfer bases if i need to / want to one day. thanks again!:ok:

ps: i'm impressed by your portuguese! where did you learn that phrase? you should come here on holidays, it's nice and sunny, nice people, nice sites to see, and it's not like many places in spain, like costa del sol for example, that are "tourist honey pots". you might get that in some places in the algarve, but the rest is relatively nice everywhere else... would be happy to advise on nice places to visit! :}

see you
xana

Getoutofmygalley
21st Apr 2006, 17:16
Xana

Luton crew are great (both flight and cabin) and you would find this to be the same at all easyJet bases (I myself am from Gatwick base).

Luton (the town itself) is not the nicest of towns - but then again, neither is Crawley which is where Gatwick is based :}

dustybin
21st Apr 2006, 19:29
Just a quick question, when did easyjet start bonding crew and charging for their uniforms? Also how can adults live on £500 a month training pay, do we not have morgages, cars, bills and lives to lead.:\

Getoutofmygalley
21st Apr 2006, 21:48
easyJet started bonding probationary crew for a six month period around about 18-20 months ago. This was because crew would join easyJet whilst they were waiting to hear from other airlines such as BA, Virgin or whoever. When they were then offered a job with another airline they would leave - and cabin crew training costs a lot of money!

easyJet has charged crew for uniforms for as long as I have been there (just over 2 years). It is unlike Ryanair where I believe you pay for the uniform continuously, at easyJet you just pay an initial amount of (I think) £280 over a period of 9 or 10 months, but after 6 months the company starts to pay you a monthly uniform allowance of £17.33. After a period of time, the company will have paid for your uniform and you can make a profit out of it (if you don't renew your uniform like some crew).

And how can adults survive on £500 a month training? - well you are only training for 1 month, so it is only 1 month you have to worry about that. This might sound harsh but easyJet are not responsible for you having a mortgage, car or bills, they are just wanting you to do well in your exams and get on line, and that is when you are going to start making money. Once you do get online you do make a good salary each month, providing that you work hard and don't take social sickies.

New recruits should not be concerned about being bonded for a 6 month period, unless they are planning on leaving before that time is up and joining another airline.

PAXboy
21st Apr 2006, 23:46
Saturday 22nd April The Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article359469.ece) EasyJet takes Italy to court over 'ludicrous' ban on flights
By Michael Harrison, Business Editor

EasyJet vowed yesterday to press ahead with legal action against the Italian government after it was prevented from launching a new low-cost route between Milan and Sardinia.

Italy's National Civil Aviation Authority (ENAC) refused easyJet permission to begin services even though it has already sold 13,000 seats on the route and was due to fly 149 passengers to the Sardinian city of Olbia yesterday on the inaugural flight.

The Italian Transport Ministry blocked easyJet from starting operations in competition with the Italian carrier Meridiana by designating Milan-Olbia as a "public service obligation" (PSO) route. This gives governments the right to determine which airlines fly the route.

To try to get around the PSO restriction, which applies only to "the transport of passengers for remuneration", easyJet proposed to operate the route for free, to highlight what it claimed was a "ludicrous" breach of European law. But the Italian authorities also prevented it from flying on this basis.

rest of the article on line or in print

ezpz
23rd Apr 2006, 00:41
Xana,

Luton is not a bad base to work from. A lot of people have left in the last few months, but this is mainly because Heathrow is only 25 miles away and BA and BMED are both recruiting. Luton town is not the best place in the UK, but it is not the worst either. Yes, it is missing culture, but just jump on the train to London or St ALbans, both very close.

Luton crew always have busy rosters, but this also means lots of sector pay and commision. The crew are all really friendly and socialise together, and we always have a laugh when we fly.

Dustybin,

All airlines will only pay you your basic pay whilst you are on training. Living on £500 for a couple of months is not easy, but the rewards come to you later. Ryanair even expect you to pay for your training, so it could be worse. Sadly, there will always be a big queue of people wanting to join an airline, so airlines will take advantage of this and terms and conditions will reflect this. On the other hand, you get benefits like staff travel, so there is an upside of working for an airline.

Doug the Head
23rd Apr 2006, 08:21
PAXboy

Sounds very similar to the Orly-Ajaccio fiasco! :{

dustybin
23rd Apr 2006, 18:20
I know other airlines have started bonding people but i thought Easyjet would be different as they aim to be different in everything else they do. I don't really have a problem with the bonding as once in I was hoping to end my career there, but it was the paying for uniforms. I may have been lucky in past jobs, were i have been given new uniforms, not bonded, given excellent travel opertunities and only struggled for a month or two while on training. But i didn't think Easy would follow other low cost airlines, they usally lead the way.
As someone said it's not easyjets fault i have a morgage or bills to pay, but is this not what we work for or towards? I also don't think the bank see it has there problem to. I think ( personal opition) most airlines starting conditions would only suit young people still living at home and not older experienced crew, not that i'am over the hill i'am only in my late twentys. Anyway maybe the grass is not always greener on the other side:D

Doug the Head
24th Apr 2006, 18:56
GLAGAZ
Off course NOT!! :mad:

Doug the Head
25th Apr 2006, 02:56
Small hint: please think before asking silly questions (how on earth do you expect flight crew to know advanced booking levels for certain flights?!) on a thread concerning another topic! :rolleyes:

ezybus
25th Apr 2006, 10:00
You will find GLAGAZ that EZY do not operate the GLA SXF GLA service. Flyglobespan do!!! Hence the reason no one from this thread will know load factors!!!!

Take up the Hold
25th Apr 2006, 10:06
EZYbus

You are partially correct Easyjet do not operate a GLA-SXF service............... at the moment. They start the service in July this year. I presume someone is trying to guage the strength of the market on a non Med route as Easyjet have stated they will assess further expansion at GLA based on the SXF and 2 Med routes that they are also starting in July. Med routes always do well from GLA.
Flyglobespan do not fly GLA-SXF

TUTH

Getoutofmygalley
25th Apr 2006, 10:08
Actually ezybus, from May the 3rd of this year easyJet will be operating routes between GLA & SXF.

But Glagaz insulting people on this forum with your 'completely hopeless' comment will not encourage people to look up the information for you. :*

ezybus
25th Apr 2006, 11:14
I do apologise. was getting airport codes mixed up!! was mistaking with sanford!

ZANNA
26th Apr 2006, 19:44
for those of you getting excited about a lisbon base i would suggest you hold off applying if you are not interested in working elsewhere for a good while. the latest rumour is that the new base will be in madrid (although this seems to be changing every week), and you have to stay at your initial base for ar least six months before you can transfer somewhere else anyway. also if you go to a busy base like gatwick (though most are at the mo) you could be waiting even longer before getting a transfer, although this could work in your favour because if you do a year and get senior, you might be lucky enough to go to a nice shiny new base as a number 1.:ok:

rubik101
29th Apr 2006, 08:09
Sorry to bring this up again folks but this sort of thing really gets in my craw!

Mr Dromey, on the 16th of April wrote; 'Crews are all poorly turned out and trained.'

After my post pointing out this was factually incorrect, he wrote; 'Untill then I stand by every last one of my opinions, observations and statments.'

On the 17th April he wrote; 'I have never called into question the issue of safety on any easyJet(or other airline) flight, I do not know enough about the safety standards imposed by the relevant authorities...and the airlines involved. To do so would be highly unfair and irresponsable on my part.'

Later he wrote; OK, for the final time, I never knocked the safety aspect of U2s' training.

But you see Mr. Dromey, you did knock easyJet training. You said; 'Crews are all poorly turned out and trained.'

If you would care to retract that statement regarding training then you will most certainly have the last word.

If, as you say, you don't know enough about safety standards etc, then why mention such things in the first place? Ifyou do not know what you are talking about Mr. Dromey, then why be unfair and irresponsible, as you say, and post here at all?

The latest rumour I have heard is that there will be 2 new bases announced shortly!

OltonPete
29th Apr 2006, 12:14
Do we know if these are in the UK or mainland Europe?

The most noticeable lack of orange in the UK is of course BHX & MAN, are either of these in the frame now or likely to be in the future?

Both do not have any real major FR presence and in BHX's case probably
never will going by the previous spats.

Both have been accused of not being LCC friendly in respect of charges
(rightly or wrongly?) but surely for both airports it would be a major coup.

I know Liverpool serves the North West for Easyjet but the Midlands is a
different story. The EMA base was inherited from Go and although there
has been some tinkering on the whole Easy have not done much recently.

From the outside (don't work in the industry) it appears that in BHX's case
it is lack of flexibility with charges (or upsetting BA etc) could be the reason or is it simply a case that Easy are just not interested?

OltonPete

thomsonfly.com
29th Apr 2006, 13:06
OltonPete

I simply cannot see any reason why easyJet would want to enter either the BHX or MAN market. EZY have a good relationship with Peel Holdings who own LPL, and believe have a contract to operate flights from that airport for some time in the future. Why spread yourself across a couple of airports when you can ensure you have a real strongholding in one? Manchester is a major base for other low cost airlines (Jet2, bmibaby, Monarch, BA Connect, flybe) whilst Liverpool is very much EZY's stomping ground despite competition from FR. Similarly with EMA, I can't see EZY setting up from BHX. BHX is well covered by existing low-cost airlines, and if EZY were really to leave EMA (I know there hasn't been much growth but neither have there been rumblings of discontent) surely DSA owned by Peel would be a more realistic alternative?

phil_2405
29th Apr 2006, 14:36
Does anyone know why easyJet have failed to expand at EMA?
Ops not as profitable as at most other bases? poor relationship with airport management? lack of capacity now Ryanair have made it a base? :confused:

Stanstedeye
29th Apr 2006, 16:24
phil_2405

Add STN to EMA ?

BDKLEZ
30th Apr 2006, 12:41
OltonPete

surely DSA owned by Peel would be a more realistic alternative?

This is certainly my understanding of the situation. U2 are very keen to further their existing business relations with Peel and DSA is a most likely development in the relatively near future.

At present, demand is being assessed on the services operating into DSA with the Swiss aircraft and crew.

MAN & BHX are absolute non starters! (IMHO!)

:ok:

airhumberside
30th Apr 2006, 15:26
Easyjet have dropped DSA-GVA for the summer. I dont know if this was planned or not when the route started but if it wasnt then its not a very good sign for future EZY development at DSA

ezpz
30th Apr 2006, 15:43
DSA-GVA was always going to be a seasonal ski route.

STN makes all its money in the summer and very little in the winter. EMA makes very little money at all, so further expansion there is unlikely.

MAN is too close to LPL and the landing charges and slot availabilty would make expantion there unlikely.

BHX could be a possibilty. The competition would produce very low seat yields, so again unlikely.

The UK market is very saturated, so I am expecting to see new crew bases in mainland Europe. Could even be outside the EU.

dwlpl
30th Apr 2006, 18:41
I think that EZY will put some routes eventually through MAN (and BHX) as a spoiler (a la Ryanair) if nothing else.

FLYboh
30th Apr 2006, 18:58
Does anyone have an idea when the winter schedules will be released. Am hoping to see GVA - BOH return as I didn't get a chance to use it this winter.
Cheers :ok:

OltonPete
30th Apr 2006, 20:19
DSA-GVA was always going to be a seasonal ski route.

STN makes all its money in the summer and very little in the winter. EMA makes very little money at all, so further expansion there is unlikely.

MAN is too close to LPL and the landing charges and slot availabilty would make expantion there unlikely.

BHX could be a possibilty. The competition would produce very low seat yields, so again unlikely.

The UK market is very saturated, so I am expecting to see new crew bases in mainland Europe. Could even be outside the EU.

They could base two aircraft to do Italy alone from BHX - a bit of
an embarrassment at present with the sum total - 2 BA Connect 145's
a day (one at weekends) to MXP from airport with over 9 million pax. Probably not enough to support a base but at least virtually no competition. Shame they do Venice and Rome from East Mids (with such high load factors) as I suppose it would be a bit pointless offering the same destinations 40 miles away (though Baby do on some routes).

OltonPete

bar none
30th Apr 2006, 21:36
After losing £50m in the last six months (Sunday Telegraph business news), are Easyjet going to expand anywhere.

easy
1st May 2006, 09:18
Oh not again! Easy make a first half loss every year, and a nice full year profit!! :} :)

ezpz
1st May 2006, 21:30
After losing £50m in the last six months (Sunday Telegraph business news), are Easyjet going to expand anywhere.

If EZY dont expand they will lose even more money. In this business you expand or you die. Standing still would mean Ryanair and the others taking more market share. EZY is comitted to 15% growth this year. A new A319 is arriving every week other the summer. Shame we have no cabin crew or pilots to put on them :(

EarthOrbitor
2nd May 2006, 12:02
according to the rumour (leaked from easyjet) one of the bases is BOH Bournemouth. the airport is closing in on a deal and it is thought that up to two aircraft will initially be ear-marked for the airport from autumn 2006. Routes mentioned included France, Spain, Italy and Germany as well as several UK cities (BFS, EDI, NCL)

Stanstedeye
6th May 2006, 16:31
If EZY dont expand they will lose even more money. In this business you expand or you die. Standing still would mean Ryanair and the others taking more market share. EZY is comitted to 15% growth this year. A new A319 is arriving every week other the summer. Shame we have no cabin crew or pilots to put on them :(

Well there is very liitle expansion at STN, if any. Could it be said that EZY have the wrong sized aircraft, for if FR are getting better results with their 800's it certainly makes you think that they have.

Ametyst
6th May 2006, 17:19
The reason there is no expansion by easyJet at Stansted has nothing to do with aircraft size, it is a lack of suitable slots at Stansted.

Stanstedeye
6th May 2006, 19:49
Ametyst

And how did you come to that conclusion may I ask? when other companies do not appear to have a problem.

Ametyst
6th May 2006, 19:57
Ryanair tinkers with its schedule to fit in new flights. They have no plans to add any more based aircraft this year. Other airlines have been able to fit more flights in during slack times on a 'W' basis operating from & to their overseas base. Ryanair and easyJet cannot get any further slots for early morning departures or late evening arrivals. That is how come to that conclusion! In addition Stansted has a cap on the number of movements they can handle.

AGPwallah
7th Jun 2006, 15:39
Here's a story on the financial news wires:

MoneyAM

easyJet, Europe's second-largest no-frills airline, said it carried 2.94 million passengers in May.

This represents an increase of 15.2% on the same month last year.

The Luton-based carrier said May's load factor, passengers as a proportion of the number of seats available, was 83.9%, slightly down from 84.1% in May 2005.

For the rolling 12 months to end-May passengers totaled 31.72 million, up 13.5% compared with the same period last year, the load factor was 84.2%, down 0.9 percentage points, and total revenue was £1.5bn, up 21.1%.

easyJet said although load factors for May were slightly behind the rolling 12-month average this was in line with internal expectations.

'Following strong April revenue results, which benefited from the timing of Easter, the positive performance has continued in May,' said CEO, Andy Harrison.

:)

Jes
7th Jun 2006, 16:24
So where's the slowing of growth?

LTNABZ
11th Jun 2006, 12:21
On Friday, EZY141 from LTN to ABZ diverted due to the harr at Aberdeen. All the other main airlines (BA, BMI etc) got in (just some prop Eastern Airlines etc that didn't, apart from EZ).

Don't Easyjet have ILS on their 737's ?

Got the same flight on Monday (tomorrow) and fog is forecast at Aberdeen again. Not as if fog at Aberdeen is unknown! :ugh:

GW76
11th Jun 2006, 14:01
Does it not depend on specific pilot training / rating ?:confused:

Dash-7 lover
11th Jun 2006, 15:47
Yep - just because the aircraft is fully equiped - doesn't mean the crew are. If they're new to type and line training their minima can be higher.

U R NumberOne
11th Jun 2006, 16:22
For what it's worth, I was the ABZ radar controller on Friday morning and although the BA, BMI, Eastern, etc did get in it was only after they had also gone around once like the easyJet. Unlike the EZY, they held for a bit and once the weather improved slightly the others who had the fuel to wait made a second approach and got in. Bizarrely, the EZY said he was diverting to Prestwick - not sure why they preferred there over GLA or EDI. The only other one we lost was the Atlantic ATP freighter.

So I don't think the question is about aircraft equipment, more about holding fuel.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
11th Jun 2006, 16:26
[Fog isn't a constant cloud. It can drift and has more and less dense areas in it. It is possible to get lucky and find a "pocket" which is above visibility minima and lets you land. But as said above, it's whether you can afford to hang around

ebenezer
11th Jun 2006, 17:42
Don't Easyjet have ILS on their 737's ?

All easyJet's 737s are capable of flying down to Cat. 3b limits. ABZ's ILS is as far as I know, only Cat. 1

If the RVR is below easyJet's Cat. 1 minima, then the flight crew cannot commence an approach and descend below a height of 1500 feet with subsequently, getting the ground or runway in sight.

Diversion fuel may also have been a factor.

Dan Air 87
11th Jun 2006, 17:52
All the same, it seems bizarre to use fuel to divert to PIK. I wonder how the pax made the trek back to ABZ? I have been on a board BA a/c that have been holding for ages at ABZ for the fog and we popped down to EDI until it cleared. But going all the way to PIK???

The Phantom Viffer
11th Jun 2006, 18:07
Edinburgh and Glasgow were both pretty poor weather wise while Prestwick with it's own little micro climate was clear. I'd say it was sensible to use a couple of kilos more gas rather than go around at your diversion and be forced to call a mayday.

Avman
11th Jun 2006, 19:01
LTNABZ, don't pay pay cheap fares and then complain! You pay cheap, you get a cheap product. End of story!

Screwballs
11th Jun 2006, 19:09
Exactly how is diverting due to weather a "cheap product"?

Pilotdom
11th Jun 2006, 19:16
Here we go again. A thread that mentions Easyjet and the Pay cheap get nothing quoters all appear out of the woodwork. Not at all a constructive comment and totally off topic. The thread is about a weather diversion not about how much the seat cost on the aircraft!

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Jun 2006, 21:07
I think you'll find that the EZY aircraft had the capability to divert to PIK which had solid good weather, and was not restricted to the much closer GLA or EDI with poorer weather. The weather at the time at Aberdeen was below the legal airport minima not the aircraft minima which as EZY always normally has a CAT3a or b minima which is the lowest you'll find.

That any of this be cause for anything but praise and thankfulness is a mystery.

Cheers

Just Browsing
12th Jun 2006, 07:50
When I was flying easy's B737s they were all CAT111A with a decision height of 50ft and a RVR of 200m, unless, for technical, reasons the aircraft was temporarily downgraded. The diversion policy is that a nominated alternate must be operating in conditions which would allow an approach one category higher than minimum. For example, if the airfield, crew or aircraft were limited to CAT1, then the weather conditions must be good enough for a non-precision approach. And these conditions must be forecast to exist for one hour either side of the ETA at the destination. I suspect that an immediate diversion to PIK looked the safest course of action. Easyjet may be low cost, but it's never been low safety (except for exhausted crews!)

The company claims it saves tens of millions of pounds a year by discouraging the carrying of holding fuel - when conditions are allow- so they are happy to absorb the costs of occasional diverts. These savings help keep air fares low. If the wx at Aberdeen was forecast to be poor then the policy is to take holding fuel; I assume the crew weren 't, or felt the wx wouldn't improve - only they will know.

JB

throw a dyce
13th Jun 2006, 12:36
Aberdeen's ILS's are Cat1 and look likely to remain that way.The ILS equipment supplied by Nats could work to Cat 3 standard,but the rest of the airfield(BAA's ) isn't up to standard.
It's surprising that they haven't tried to upgrade to Cat2,as it's a problem that always happens at this time of year.I guess that driving passengers up and down Scotland,instead of upgrading the Airfield is seen as ok to BAA(Ferrovial).

LTNman
17th Jun 2006, 06:03
From the BBC

Easyjet founder Stelios Haji-Ioannou, who has seen his business empire take off over 11 years, has been knighted in the Queen's 80th Birthday Honours list.

Sir Stelios, 39, who is honoured for services to entrepreneurship, dedicated the knighthood to his staff

Powerjet1
17th Jun 2006, 06:05
Well done that man !!!

Doors to Automatic
17th Jun 2006, 15:10
Good for him & richly deserved!

As an aside, I thought only British citizens could get knighthoods?

eyeinthesky
17th Jun 2006, 15:31
"Good for him & richly deserved!

As an aside, I thought only British citizens could get knighthoods?"

Seeing as Stelios has got a knighthood, the answer is either:

a) He is one
b) You're wrong

:E

phil_2405
17th Jun 2006, 17:01
I believe Stelios has Greek and UK passports

Congrats to him :ok:

tilewood
17th Jun 2006, 19:26
If a Greek can become the Duke of Edinburgh for walking two steps
behind a woman all his life, why can't another be knighted for creating a large,
successful airline employing thousands, and carrying millions?

Well done Stelios, you deserve it. You have achieved it with
good grace, and good manners.

In contrast to the crass, and boorish behaviour so often exhibited
by the leader of FergusAir! ;)

GROUNDHOG
17th Jun 2006, 20:15
Well done Stelios....

Michael O'Leary for Pope is what I say....

robo283
18th Jun 2006, 16:33
From the BBC
Easyjet founder Stelios Haji-Ioannou, who has seen his business empire take off over 11 years, has been knighted in the Queen's 80th Birthday Honours list.
Sir Stelios, 39, who is honoured for services to entrepreneurship, dedicated the knighthood to his staff

What price the Government privatising the Royal Flight and selling the rights to Ezy? Sir Stelios could bung in a few grand and become Lord Luton. Or something ;)

22/04
19th Jun 2006, 22:41
Stellios is I believe either a Cypriot or of Cypriot origin. I belive he holds a British passport and therefore may be abe to take the honour

Just Browsing
20th Jun 2006, 18:39
Non Brits can be awarded an honourary Knighthood. However, whilst they may take the suffix 'KBE' (Knight Commander of the British Empire) after their name, they do not have the right to use the more familiar titular 'Sir'. That said, it seems from these pages that Sir Stelios does in fact qualify for the familiar title in any case.

JB

southridge
24th Jun 2006, 19:49
Hope someone can help me, as I have family stuck in Malaga this evening due to Easyjet cancelling their flight. Need to try and find out if this is an on going problem to see how long it'll be before they can get back to the Uk.

How come they have cancelled far more flights than normal today?

Thanks for your help

T

GW76
24th Jun 2006, 21:09
Combination of crew shortages and juggling for World Cup flights I think. Cancellations all over the UK

easyprison
25th Jun 2006, 00:31
southridge,

Sorry to hear about your family being stuck in AGP. I hope they have been well treated and rebooked onto a flight back to the UK asap.

You should be able to contact easyJet through the website to add your complaint. We are suffering chronic crew shortages at the moment, but your families flight could be canx due to tech reasons etc etc.

Hope everything works out for you all.

lplsprog
25th Jun 2006, 08:10
Easyprison
That's easy to say, my friends flight to ALC on Thurday was cancelled and the earliest they could re-book was Tuesday. As this was the day of their return, if they ever got there, there didn't seem much point. They have tried and tried to get through to "customer services" and can't get any reply. They've also e-mailed from the website and still have had no satisfaction. As it is Easy have £100 of their money and no sign of a refund.:ugh:
(They flew to Alicante Friday with Monarch from MAN cheaper.:ok:)

southridge
25th Jun 2006, 08:32
Thanks to those of you who kindly replied to me and gave the probable reasons for the cancellations.

In the end, a reason was given, and honesty prevailed with the rep. explaining it was due to crew shortage (4th that day).

Yes they were offered alteratives but Monday evening was the first possible flight. Seems as they though they have gone some way towards customer service and said they will pay for hotels but you have to find it yourself (no chance in Malaga on a saturday night).

Sadly if Easyjet continue this way they will lose many of their loyal customers (particularly those of an older generation who are able to travel more frequently). Surely someone in a position of understanding in the CAA or whoever regulates the airlines and needs to start pulling approvals for route frequencies if they can not run their business in a way that they are unable to fulfill effective contracts due to continuing shortage of staff (technical problems I can accept).
I am from a finance background and don't understand how the "beancounters" can justify these supposed cost savings against the amount of compensation they are having to pay.

Any way, good old BA / GB airways stepped in and filled up every available seat at reasonable costs.

easyboy
25th Jun 2006, 09:04
Combination of crew shortages and juggling for World Cup flights I think. Cancellations all over the UK

I don't see hwo there can be cancellations do tu juggling for world cup flights as we haven't put any more flights on for the world cup, they are at the same frequency as before it started.

Also there haven't been cancellations all over the UK, there are many easyJet bases that have had no cancellations for months now.

It's mainly the larger bases like Gatwick, Bristol and Luton that have been effected, nobody likes it when flights are cancelled, and they are only cancelled as a very last resort.

Recently there have been crew from the likes of East Mids, Glasgow and Edinburgh Airports send down to Bristol and Gatwick (and believe me it isn't any fun being stuck in a taxi for that lengh of time - apparently it is a minimum of 3 hours to both) to operate flights to keep things as normal as they can be, this is how much easyJet try to keep flights operating, after all they don't make money when an aircraft is sat on the ground doing nothing.

easyBoy

IB4138
25th Jun 2006, 09:36
easyboy
they don't make money when an aircraft is sat on the ground doing nothing.

Neither do the car hire companies/property management companies in the resorts, who are inconvenienced by Easy's actions. It costs them money as well and not just in lost revenue for late notice cancelled bookings, but having to pay staff for extra hours to meet clients on rearranged flights, shorter hire periods etc. The first that is known of the problem is when "cancelled" appears on the arrivals board.

Someone at Easyjet needs to take their blinkers off and sort out their problem, instead of passing that problem down the line. The problem they create for the passenger in most cases does not end there. :*

easyboy
25th Jun 2006, 09:49
As I said, flights are only cancelled as a last resort.

Being based in East Mids airport myself, I know of in the last week, that crew have been sent to Bristol, and Gatwick.

One crew member that I know of was sent to Gatwick in a taxi the other day, took well over 3 hours to get there and with is being a friday afternoon they were caught up in some heavy traffic on the way back, it ended up that they spent more time in the back of a car that day than they did actually operating onboard an aircraft.

I know nobody likes it when flights are cancelled, especially passengers, but as mentioned before easyJet are doing their very best to keep flights operating as normal (by taxiing crew left, right and centre) some flights have even been chartered out to other airlines.

easyBoy

southridge
25th Jun 2006, 11:27
Easyboy

I realise you are going to be protective of the company you work for, so do I...

But those in the places that need to make decisions have to realise Easyjet still has a decent reputation and loyalty. However, with continuing poor organisational planning like this, people will walk and move to the many alternatives there are.

Complacency is not a good thing and if your managemnt continue in this vane then you will lose significant revenues.

Sadly, what we all have to realise is that business is now run to keep the shareholders happy. In many cases if the shareholders start to see an erosion of customer loyalty and a continuing lack of return on their investment, then the market will see a sell off of the shares which affects you all as employees.

nonemmet
25th Jun 2006, 11:47
During the month of June between 20 and 30 easyjet flights have been cancelled from each of Gatwick, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Bristol; a total of over 100 flights. These cancellations were already planned by May. At Stanstead, around 30 flights have been sub chartered instead of being cancelled. Other bases have seen sub charters at short notice when crisis management of crew failed on the day. More cancellations are planned during July. Easyjet pilots have been warning the management for months that due to the unsustainable flying rate over the winter, this would happen, however in the no-blame culture, endemic in easyland, don’t expect any lessons to be learnt.

easyboy
25th Jun 2006, 11:56
Easyboy
However, with continuing poor organisational planning like this, people will walk and move to the many alternatives there are.

Thats the great thing about living in the age we do, there are so many airlines in Europe now that if people are not happy with one they will use another, it's all about consumer choice if people are happy with easyJet they will continue to fly with us - if not they won't.

MerchantVenturer
25th Jun 2006, 18:21
In June 38 flights (19 rotations) on BRS-EDI and 20 flights (10 rotations) on BRS-GLA will have been cancelled.

I was due to fly BRS-EDI-BRS on 7 June and two weeks beforehand received an email telling me my flights had been cancelled for 'operational reasons'.

I tried to rebook on an alternative date and then discovered all the cancelled flights - on Tues, Weds and Thurs mainly, with BRS-EDI down to one rotation per day and BRS-GLA down to two on these days, instead of three on both routes.

Full details are in the original BRISTOL thread as I tried to find the reason, having failed with getting this information from the airline. I was then told by an easyJet captain and a PPRuNe moderator in the thread the reason was flight deck shortages.

I am a regular user and supporter of the airline and will give them another chance. I guess my wife and I are typical of many of their leisure customers, viz, retired, active and with the cash, time and wish to use airlines.

There are alternatives to easyJet, even from the West Country, even if it means a slightly longer land journey to a neighbouring airport, so I hope easyJet gets its act together - quickly!

unwiseowl
25th Jun 2006, 23:02
'operational reasons'

I've always thought this was a real insult to the passengers : 'operational reasons' = we're not telling you the reasons/you wouldn't be able to understand.

HH6702
26th Jun 2006, 16:47
Short of crews yet NCL for winter is getting extra flights
doesn't make sence

Colonel Klink
26th Jun 2006, 20:24
Luton has 4 new routes starting this week, we have not got the pilots we need to do the routes we have now!!

billyg
26th Jun 2006, 21:51
Air Finland 752 operated SXF-GLA today ! 2x new A319 routes starting from GLA within the week ! :confused:

outofsynch
27th Jun 2006, 16:59
And a new COO today..... I wonder why?

Farewell Fat Mike!

egnxema
28th Jun 2006, 08:45
During the month of June between 20 and 30 easyjet flights have been cancelled from each of Gatwick, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Bristol; a total of over 100 flights. These cancellations were already planned by May.

I don't understand this?

Under European Law, if a passenger turns up at the airport and his flight is cancelled the passenger is entitled to upto EUR250 for shorter sectors (much of easyJet's network). The airline is not liable to this pay out if they cancel the flight more than 7 days in advance and offer a re-route. So if so many flights were cancelled so far in advance why not notify the passengers?

Getoutofmygalley
28th Jun 2006, 11:17
egnxema

Some are having to be cancelled at less than 24 hours notice. I had one of my flights cancelled earlier this week, and I only knew when I turned up at base that it wasn't runnng.

And re: outofsynch 'farewell Fat Mike' comment, I think quite a few people will substitute farewell for something slightly more vulger.

Let's hope the replacement for Fat Mike is able to improve things PDQ as I am fed up of apologising to pax for late flights and cancelled flights :sad:

egnxema
28th Jun 2006, 13:44
My flight EZY2230 ALC LTN was cancelled on Monday evening, we were re-routed ALC EMA the next day.

It is so true that the "operational reasons" is the perfect catch all for airlines to avoid paying out EUR250 compensation under European regulations.

If any EZY crew know - exactly why was EZY2230 cancelled?

I have spoken to Customer Services and of course they said that the reason my flight was cancelled does not entitle me to compensation. When asked what the reason was it was the expected "Operational reasons schmeasons!"

How can we know when we are entitled to claim, and that the airline is not just avoiding a payout?

Binder
28th Jun 2006, 14:09
egnxema

Suggest you take them to the Small Claims Court and sue them for breach of contract/ misrepresentation.

It would appear that they don't have enough crews for their operation and the chief operating officer has just been sacked!

Need I say more?

Binder

daz211
5th Jul 2006, 16:49
i read today that easyjet will start flying to isreal
with in the next 2 years by this time they would have rcvd
their new a/c anyone know if they are getting anything bigger
than b737 a319 and what base they would use for this route:rolleyes:

Buster the Bear
5th Jul 2006, 18:23
I wonder how much the security tax will be :eek:

MarkD
5th Jul 2006, 20:06
how quick a turn can you make at TLV?

Buster the Bear
5th Jul 2006, 20:22
With recent poor punctuality, mass regular cancellations and expensive 'subbing', this is hardly an issue currently for OrangeJet!

jack_essex
6th Jul 2006, 11:19
easyJet have been cancelling a lot of flights from STN recently. Just look on the flight arrivals. It's showing 5 cancelled incoming flights just for this afternoon.

MerchantVenturer
7th Jul 2006, 13:15
Well, despite all the doom and gloom and inconvenience through cancellations to some customers, including me, easyJet has just presented an extremely encouraging quarterly report, so good that their shares are up over 9% at the time of writing.

For the three months from April to June, unit revenue (total revenue per seat flown) was up 17% compared with the previous year, although the timing of Easter did help.

Future growth in passenger seat and ancillary seat revenue is expected to the extent that pre-tax profit growth for the full year is now estimated at 40% to 50% instead of the earlier predicted 10% to 15%.

The airline does admit sub-chartering a limited number of aircraft on a short-term basis, but there is no mention of the large number of cancelled flights.

Shareholders are happy even if some pax aren't.

EarthOrbitor
7th Jul 2006, 14:06
easyJet will be announcing new base at Bournemouth from Spring 2007 later this year. initially two A319's operating to Nice, Edinburgh, Belfast, Berlin, Murcia & Paris. Geneva operated by easyJet Switzerland. Hopefully crew shortages will have been sorted by then.

lukeylad
8th Jul 2006, 00:57
how are things a the newcastle base for easyjet|??

girtbar
8th Jul 2006, 01:57
Limited amount of Subbing......a few cancellations........

Erm over 600 flights canx and FlyGlobeSpan, EireJet, Titan, Futura, Air Finland are some of the airlines that they have got doing the flights for the summer season.

Better not tell the shareholders about the bill we are about to foot!!!

jack_essex
8th Jul 2006, 13:28
What is going on with easyJet? They have again cancelled lots of STN flights today. Bearing in mind its July, they have cancelled lots including Alicante and Almeria. A lot of angry pax at STN today.

Charlie Roy
8th Jul 2006, 16:39
The website has news item from a few days ago saying that Easyjet have requested slots to fly between Madrid and Lanzarote.

http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?Id=30197
"Otra empresa, Easy Jet, tiene hasta el 31 de agosto se para confirmar el inicio de operaciones entre Madrid y Lanzarote, uno de los aeropuertos más baratos de las Islas para aterrizar y despegar."

Could Easyjet be planning to break into the Canary Island market? :O

Charlie Roy
8th Jul 2006, 16:50
This news article from a couple of weeks ago suggests that Easyjet is planning a significant increase in its Spanish operations.

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp?pNumEjemplar=1313&pIdSeccion=36&pIdNoticia=417571

It also remarks that the airline has applied for slots to fly between Madrid and Asturias.

The Spanish domestic market is really hotting up then! Vueling are providing some welcome competition to Iberia / Air Nostrum. Ryanair are interested in launching Madrid to Granada and now it looks like Easyjet are muscling in on the market too!

ezpz
8th Jul 2006, 18:04
easyJet will be announcing new base at Bournemouth from Spring 2007 later this year. initially two A319's operating to Nice, Edinburgh, Belfast, Berlin, Murcia & Paris. Geneva operated by easyJet Switzerland. Hopefully crew shortages will have been sorted by then.

What is your source for this information? Bournemouth is close to both Bristol and Gatwick, two of easyJet's largest bases. Would seem a strange choice for a new base.

girtbar
8th Jul 2006, 18:37
Well as we already fly into BOH and the flights seem to be going ok why not base 2 a/c?

EarthOrbitor
8th Jul 2006, 18:42
On the face of it yes it does seem strange, but after the Geneva trial proved that passengers were not 'canibalised' from either BRS or LGW, the decision was made to consider more substantial operations from the airport. This has been given priority status because the yield at BOH is considered to be lucrative.

BRS pax do not leak a great deal of passengers to BOH, and BOH potential pax leak more to LHR and SOU. (both very high yeilding airports)

of course it would be stupid of me to list my sources!

outofsynch
8th Jul 2006, 20:40
There wont be any new UK bases in foreseeable future. Spain perhaps, in the winter. BOH may get more services, but it wont be a base.

Bagmanlgw
10th Jul 2006, 16:42
Anyone know when the winter ( 28th October onwards ) flights from Gatwick go on sale ?

brakedwell
11th Jul 2006, 08:31
Bagmanlgw

And whether there is any chance of Easyjet taking over the defunct BA LGW-MUC service?

doo
11th Jul 2006, 16:20
What about Tel Aviv?
Will it go?

Charlie Roy
16th Jul 2006, 19:02
Latest news is that Easyjet are interested in launching a Madrid - Bilbao service.
http://actualidad.terra.es/provincias/bilbao/articulo/easyjet_bilbao_madrid_986427.htm

and also a Madrid - Tenerife North
http://www.expansion.com/edicion/expansion/empresas/es/desarrollo/662150.html

This news follows indications earlier this month that they applied for slots on two other domestic Spanish routes:
Madrid - Asturias
Madrid - Lanzarote

Anybody else have info on an Easyjet base in Madrid?
I'm surprised by their tactics tough of muscling in on the Spanish domestic
market :confused: but if there's money to be made...

An increased Easyjet presence in Spain (reported to be to the scale of 135% for the coming winter) may shake up the likes of Iberia, and force them into a Aerlingus / SAS style remodelling! (How many strikes would we have to endure during that process though). Try buying a one way ticket with Iberia. It'll cost 10 times the regular return fare. When are the likes of Iberia and BA going to learn that oneway ticketing can only be advantageous!

PS - I can't see any airlines rushing to open routes to Tel Aviv with the current situation :ouch:

Charlie Roy
26th Jul 2006, 10:12
Please come back to Ireland Easyjet.

It only materialised a few days ago that Easyjet were leaving Ireland and already Ryanair are axing Shannon - Luton, and Knock - Gatwick :*

egnxema
26th Jul 2006, 13:19
Wow - seems Madrid is in everyones sights with FR and EZY applying for slot, as well as Vueling (how hard is that for an English native to pronounce!? Been informed by my Spanish friend that it is "Boo' el-ing" - still a nonses name even with a Spanish Accent!)

Is the new runway and Terminal fully in use at Barajas?

Clickair (Catair) are said to be basing at El Prat - where is that exactly? South of Madrid? Kinda like LGW is to London??

:confused:

michaelknight
26th Jul 2006, 13:22
El Prat de Llobregat is the town beside Barcelona international airport. Nothing to do with Madrid.

MK

egnxema
26th Jul 2006, 13:42
Thanks MK - so the locals call BCN El Prat I take it.

Cyrano
26th Jul 2006, 15:21
as well as Vueling (how hard is that for an English native to pronounce!? Been informed by my Spanish friend that it is "Boo' el-ing" - still a nonses name even with a Spanish Accent!)
Not very hard to pronounce, really, unless you have some sort of speech impediment. Try "voo'elling" as an approximation. In Spanish the letter "v" is pronounced as "b" as you will have gathered from your Spanish friend if he/she isn't still laughing at your pronunciation. ;)

Given that "vuelo" means "I fly" or "flight" in Spanish, it doesn't seem a nonsense (or even a "nonses" :cool: ) name to me - on the contrary, seems perfectly reasonable.

Provance
26th Jul 2006, 15:54
Please come back to Ireland Easyjet.

It only materialised a few days ago that Easyjet were leaving Ireland and already Ryanair are axing Shannon - Luton, and Knock - Gatwick :*

seconded !!!

Flyingphil
26th Jul 2006, 18:42
Hi Folks,

just for your information:
Those of you sitting in older 737s might get good 2nd Hands soon.
Easyjet will phase out its 737NGs as well, which consists presently of 32 exemplares.
And there are 4 remaining classics as well that will go to BMIbaby and Virg Nigeria soon.

This information is especially important for those of you working for GOL which already signed contracts and JET AIRWAYS which seems to be very interested to pick some up over the next two years.

PS for all the Easy-Guys out here:
The Airbus is a lovely plane you will n'joy the change;)

Wizofoz
26th Jul 2006, 19:32
And your information comes from where?

I'm sure we'll be all Airbus eventually, but as we need every new Airbus AND all the existing NGs to meet current expansion plans, it will probably be later rather than sooner.

Kestrel_909
26th Jul 2006, 20:37
Last one to go in 2011 I believe, not sure when the first though?

Oshkosh George
26th Jul 2006, 21:01
G-EZJD/E go in December 2006 to GOL Brazil as PR-GIN/M.

Source: www.skyliner-aviation.de

cartmanfly
26th Jul 2006, 22:04
by the time Easy gets rid of its NG's the Airbus will be old technology. The commercial department is well behind the game at the minute. They turn their attention to LPL AFTER Ryanair nip in with loads of routes. They turn their attention to GLA and EDI AFTER Globespan have nicked the no-brainers. I predict a similar situation in BFS. Never a great idea to bite the hand that feeds you. Commercial take note.

Buster the Bear
27th Jul 2006, 06:10
You can add Luton to this list after Ryanair massively increased their capacity.

Max Autobrake
27th Jul 2006, 08:16
... not forgetting that Ryanair are now 3 times the size of easyJet at STN.

EI896
27th Jul 2006, 08:27
Yes but easyJet only started bying their B737NGs only in 2000 or 2001. I'm not sure if I'm right?

They shouldn't be selling them at the moment they should make a new base or something, and operate the B737NGs from there, and not Airbuses to keep mantenince costs down.

But I have to agree with Flyingphil on the first post they will enjoy the Airbuses beautiful a/c especially the A320.

spekesoftly
27th Jul 2006, 08:32
Except that EZY's Airbuses are A319s! ;)

nickmanl
27th Jul 2006, 08:59
... not forgetting that Ryanair are now 3 times the size of easyJet at STN.

Don't think thats overly relevant. Easy have massive London bases at LGW and LTN as well remember, something Ryanair doesn't.

BitMoreRightRudder
27th Jul 2006, 10:14
I wouldn't recommend any potential buyers to spunk any cash on the NG that had the argument with a "lampost" in AMS a while back. Can't remember the reg. off hand but you will know if your airline buys it as it does a very convincing impression of a crab once it gets airbourne.

cantilever
27th Jul 2006, 10:18
:{ How can we think about opening new bases when we cant crew the ones we already have !!!

At the rate senior management is going we will be lucky if there is anything left to fly....lets hope someone pulls it all back together at the top end.:ugh: