PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my website.

Stoney X
1st Mar 2006, 09:06
Fellow Ppruners,

As a sort of challenge to myself, I've created a website where I can play online correspondence chess. It's taken me almost two years of tinkering and it's still a long way from being finished. However, it is in a sort of usable state, and I'm hoping you will give your opinions of it. The site is called www.chessontheweb.com. If you do decide to go have a look, please go easy on it! I've got the site running on a Linux box at home, using my home broadband to get it online, so chances are it won't handle much traffic.

Regards
Stoney

under_exposed
1st Mar 2006, 12:12
You might want to check it against http://validator.w3.org/ to check the code.

Stoney X
3rd Mar 2006, 08:01
Thanks for the link under_exposed. I hadn't thought about validating my pages against a particular DTD schema before. I was just working on the basis that the pages should be valid XML, aiming towards XHTML, and that the displayed results in both IE and Firefox are what I wanted. Out of interest I validated a few of my favorite sites, and even the mighty pprune and cricinfo sites failed, so I don't feel too bad :)

Regards
Stoney

Tosh McCaber
8th Mar 2006, 16:40
Stoney,

As a matter of interest, What programme did you use to create your website- Was it difficult/easy?

Stoney X
9th Mar 2006, 12:27
Tosh,

Would you believe the vi editor and the standard g++ compiler on Linux is all I used :\ Sucker for punishment or what?!? I did cheat a bit and used The Gimp to create the pictures. Having started programming on an IBM green screen mainframe terminal many years ago, I'm still suspicious of all these gui interfaces that seem to be popping up :suspect:

As for the ease of development of the site, it's been a long learning curve. Two years ago I started playing with Linux at home teaching myself C++ and it's kind of grown from there. HTML, javascript, MySQL, Sendmail, etc, have all been added to the mix. I do like a challenge :)

Regards
Stoney

under_exposed
10th Mar 2006, 07:59
the vi editor and the standard g++ compiler on Linux is all I used

Wimp. Go to a DOS prompt and type debug. What else would you ever need?:}

Stoney X
10th Mar 2006, 12:29
title UE_crazy

dosseg
.model small
.stack 100h

.data
warning_message db 'I am not quite that hard or crazy',0dh,0ah,'$'

.code
main proc
mov ax,@data
mov ds,ax

mov ah,9
mov dx,offset hello_message
int 21h

mov ax,4C00h
int 21h
main endp
end main

:\ :\ :\

Richard Spandit
11th Mar 2006, 16:49
Did you have to pay extra for a unique IP address to get your site online from home?

Stoney X
12th Mar 2006, 06:36
I didn't have a unique (permanent) IP address. Just a standard BT broadband with a dynamic IP . The domain name is registered with www.dyndns.org, who also do the DNS service for it. On my Linux machine I run addns.pl every 20 mins, which updates the IP address held by dynDNS if required. This way if I have a power failure, the line drops, or whatever, the IP address corrects itself at the DNS with a max downtime of 20 mins. I think dynDNS, or addns.pl, complain if you try to do this more than once ever 10 mins. So to anwser your question Richard, zero cost.

Since I first started this thread increased traffic has persuaded me to move the site to a server with a much better permanent connection so I'm no longer using addns.pl for this particular site.

Regards
Stoney