Believe in afterlife in heaven
Believe condoms are a sin

Protestant
Christian
Main religious figure - Jesus
Main service - communion
Believe in afterlife in heaven
Believe condoms aren't a sin

Obviously the last point of those important differences covers the sanctity of life for which the two religions are willing to kill for (at least in Norn Iron).

But what are the differences in the sunni and shiite religions that causes them to kill each other?:(

XXTSGR
1st Mar 2006, 09:14
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2397813&postcount=1514

This should give you some idea.

Be careful about generalisations of "Protestants". There is a huge range, from Anglicans (Episcopalians to our US brethren), to Baptists, Methodists, United Reformed, Calvinists, Lutherans, Quakers, Shakers and Amish.

What is mainly stirring things up between Sunni and Shi'ite in Iraq is Al Qaida and Syrian insurgents, for their own political ends - nothing to do with religion.

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 09:24
Buggah !!,one thunk one was gonna read a weather report.
:uhoh: :rolleyes:

Sailor Vee
1st Mar 2006, 10:58
It's easy, if you've ever lived in the ME, then one sect has a SUNNI disposition and the others act like a load of SHI'ITES.

strafer
1st Mar 2006, 11:03
Didin't one of them ski into a tree?

Send Clowns
1st Mar 2006, 11:08
Sunni and Shiite? Well Sunni and Cher were crap, and I don't see how he'll do any better for the change of partner!

tilewood
1st Mar 2006, 11:44
I love religeous folk, they are all brothers under god (whoever he is),
all have their idea of the one and only true faith, and all fight
each other like ferrets in a sack!!

Thank god i'm not religeous, but it adds to the fun for the rest of us! :p

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 11:46
Religion was ever thus,if we all worshiped a giant ball of string we would butcher each other over whether one should dance around said ball of string clockwise or anticlockwise,personely one does not believe in the giant ball of string and it makes me a much berra person.
:rolleyes:

Wyler
1st Mar 2006, 13:06
Multi cultural Britain helps to break down the barriers. There is a new solicitor firm just opened in Newcastle:

HADDAWAY & SHI'ITE

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 13:24
Religion was ever thus,if we all worshiped a giant ball of string we would butcher each other over whether one should dance around said ball of string clockwise or anticlockwise,

Never a truer word, Herr Uberlieutnant Drapes.
Which foot do YOU dig with?

strafer
1st Mar 2006, 13:48
I think you'll find that the American Church of The Latter Day Stringballs believe that we should dance around it counterclockwise

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Mar 2006, 13:50
Ah, but wasn't an edict issued at the Diet of Slugs that called for clockwise dancing with underpants on the head?

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 13:52
AND a pencil up each nostril?
And say "Wibble" . . .

acbus1
1st Mar 2006, 14:44
"Eeer! Wot you lookin at, Sunni!"

"Shiite!"

......and that's how it starts. :rolleyes:

Tone
1st Mar 2006, 16:38
Back top the start chaps

"Catholic
Christian
Main religious figure - Jesus"

I thought they were fonder of his mum?

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 16:42
"Eeer! Wot you lookin at, Sunni!"
"Shiite!"
......and that's how it starts. :rolleyes:

Woman goes to the doctors' and is asked to return with a sample.
She asks her neighbour if she knows what 'a sample' is. Neighbour says "Go p1$$ in a bottle", woman says "Go sh1t in a bucket!" - and the fight was on . . .

strafer
1st Mar 2006, 17:11
2 shi'ite women go out shopping to buy burkhas. While trying them on, one turns to the other and says, 'Does my bomb look big in this?'.

Farmer 1
1st Mar 2006, 17:11
... and one from "Doctor in the House": young girl goes to see the doctor.

He gets his stethoscope and says to her, "Two big breaths."

She says, "Yeth, and I'm only thickthteen!"

The last time I saw the film was in an Army cinema, and that scene had been cut.

StressFree
1st Mar 2006, 17:41
Strafer,
TOP humour - outstanding - more please.

:O

Unwell_Raptor
1st Mar 2006, 18:30
What is mainly stirring things up between Sunni and Shi'ite in Iraq is Al Qaida and Syrian insurgents, for their own political ends - nothing to do with religion.

I am old enough to have watched the Ulster insurgency develop. Everybody said "It's not religion you know" just before the next bomb went off or the next poor sod was murdered.

It's religion, or tribalism, or something like that.

tilewood
1st Mar 2006, 19:15
My god's better than your god!!
From flint arrowheads to nuclear warheads - only the bang gets bigger! :hmm:

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 19:34
Well luckily for us when we got to nuclear warhead they were still working with flint,they still would be if we didn't keep selling the feckers arms.
:rolleyes:

tilewood
1st Mar 2006, 19:41
Drapes :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth.

Oh and by the way 'truth' is something that never seems to bother the
religionazis too much!

Blacksheep
2nd Mar 2006, 08:31
The difference between Sunnis and Shi'ites is politics. They've been arguing over the succession since the prophet passed away, so its never actually been a religious issue. Sunnis were satisfied with election of the caliph from among the most suitable candidates. Shi'ites believe the caliphate should be an inherited office, through the line of the prophet's grandson (there were no sons to inherit). Parliamentarians versus Royalists, in other words - though those most committed to their particular stand would never see it like that.

Its not so much religion that needs to be abolished, for most of the truly religious people I've come across aren't too strong on politics. Its politics that needs to be done away with. Or to be more exact, politicians. I read somewhere that if it was made a condition that anyone could stand for election to president but that at the end of their four year tenure they'd be executed, we'd still have candidates.

XXTSGR
2nd Mar 2006, 09:00
Never a truer word was spoken, Blacksheep.

Orac misses the point entirely. As in Northern Ireland, the religion was nothing to do with the issue. The problem was political. Orac also forgets that there are others around who also remember the start of "The Troubles" who might, perhaps, have paid a little more attention to the basic problems there, which were lack of adequate housing for the Catholic minority and discrimination over jobs. Religious differences were not the problem. The problem was people using differences in religion to discriminate against others in order to give their sense of superiority a hike.

So in Iraq now. Nothing to do with religion. There are extremists, almost all from outside the country, trying their damndest to split the country along religious lines, thus exploiting religion in order to foment civil war. And they succeed as soon as people misunderstand what's going on and assume "It's those darned Shi'ias/Sunnis * causing trouble again" (* delete as appropriate)

As far as the actual religious issues, Blacksheep sums up the basic difference between Sunni and Shi'ia very succinctly.

allan907
2nd Mar 2006, 13:54
But surely that's the basic point (see first post). Religion is just the excuse to beat three bells out of your neighbour and justify it by using religion as the reason. Unfortunately the world's press dress it up as religious fervour. As Drapes said....."get a big ball of string....."

A pox on religions everywhere - no matter what their persuasion