PDA

View Full Version : Tea Free Zone

Zeppelin
1st Mar 2006, 08:28
I just lurve coffee, out here in espana a very simple perculator is used - costs about 10 euros and knocks spots of my now old all singing all dancing 100 euro filter machine.

So its coffee in the morning on the terrace, as the sun gently rises over the hills, and a ciggie.....pure heaven :=

Incidently, the reason I hate tea goes back to school days, when I was made to drink cold tea including the tea leaves whilst warming the toilet seat for the house captain :sad:

But hey, would this experience allow me to make a massive compesation claim for deprived childhood, mental abuse or whatever :confused: :suspect:

This time next year could be a millionare :O

Whirlygig
1st Mar 2006, 08:40
I only ever used to drink coffee until one day when I went to view a house. The vendors offered me a cup of tea and when I asked if they had coffee, they said that they only drank tea. So, to be polite, I said I would have tea.

Well, it was the best drink I'd ever tasted and now I rarely drink coffee!

Cheers

Whirls

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Mar 2006, 08:41
Can't stand coffee. Prefer tea but under duress one may sip a small Turkish coffee with cardamom if a gun is held to one's head.:yuk:

Taildragger55
1st Mar 2006, 10:52
warming the toilet seat for the house captain
Zepp, if I am correct about public schools, the the tradition was that the house captain would generously offer to warm your own seat in return.
Or perhaps I have been misinformed.

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 11:40
Bah! tea goes with anything,be it double egg an chips or quails eggs and jugged hare,only thing that goes with coffee is a ciggy,.
If the cousins had continued to drink tea instead of throwing in the dock they would not be so silly now.
One notes coffee snobbery rearing its ugly head much in the manner of wine huggies snobbery ,appeared as soon as folks got a few quid and started walking about without their arses hanging out of their kecks,feckin wine is just grape juice gone off, coffee is just coffee no matter what feckin label is on it.
One quite likes a cuppa coffee with a ciggy but instant does me.
:rolleyes:
There one feels much berra now.

Kolibear
1st Mar 2006, 11:42
So a skinny latte decaff wouldn't go down too well then Tony?

tea is best though and I adore cold tea with milk & sugar. On a hot day its very refreshing

4Foxtrot
1st Mar 2006, 11:51
Chuck Norris drinks coffee by putting the beans in his mouth and boiling them with his own rage. And unless you have a mocha-choca-skinny-caramel-decaf-latte then I ain't havin' it.

frostbite
1st Mar 2006, 11:59
I didn't start drinking coffee until I went out to work. My dear old mum used to always make it with boiled milk, so I didn't know any other way and the thought of that boiled milk (and the skin on top) still makes me heave.

Nowadays, drink far too much of it and never touch tea.

Onan the Clumsy
1st Mar 2006, 12:19
It's got to be coffee in the morning, but tea later in the day.

In my family, tea served as a convenient time filler. We'd be sitting around, reading newspapers or just pacing and then someone would say "Cup of tea then?" "Oh yes, that'd be lovely."

Got to have tea and toast when you're working on the house.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Mar 2006, 12:40
Durn ya, Onan!:*

Now the tea and toast lust is upon one....:}

chuckT
1st Mar 2006, 12:59
Coffee drinkers are a special lot... I don’t think that you will find tea drinkers who are willing to pay for tealeaves that have been passed through the intestines of an animal...

The special taste of taste of Kopi Luwak coffee (http://www.uoguelph.ca/mediarel/archives/005780.html)

I drink coffee… Tea is for when I feel a bit sick.
edited a lot of times because I turned 35, and lost my ability to copy and paste the URL...

lexxity
1st Mar 2006, 13:02
One is a major league quaffer of tea, I have special mugs for my brews, whereas coffee can be served in anything. You can't beat a nice mug of earl grey.:ok:

got caught
1st Mar 2006, 13:05
Pot of earl grey on a hot summers day, whilst cook is preparing lunch, and papa is out in the meadows gassing badgers- ah the English summer- almost in sight.:p

acbus1
1st Mar 2006, 14:48
English summer- almost in sight
You must have a feckin powerful telescope or something!

Another three months of icicles and horizontal drizzle is all I can see! :(

VFE
1st Mar 2006, 14:53
Enjoy the odd cuppa coffee now and again (ever noticed how you can smell it in your wee-wee afterwards?) and it's okay but much prefer tea. Currently going through a Chamomile tea phase at the moment with a spoonful of sugar - very nice and I quite like Lady Grey but you can't beat a nice cuppa Yorkshire tea with a pile of assorted biscuits - dunked!

VFE.

air pig
1st Mar 2006, 18:41
When the world is going to ratsh*t, only the British make time for tea. Calms you down whilst looking for the exit, coffee just does not do it !!!

Lon More
1st Mar 2006, 19:13
Frostbite - it takes all sorts. I used to love the skin om the top of coffee, and the one on school custard,

Of to magnetron a mug of milk with Camp Coffee

tilewood
1st Mar 2006, 19:47
"More coffee vicar?" Nah! Just doesn't seem right some how! :hmm:

AerBabe
1st Mar 2006, 19:52
My brother sent me some proper green tea from Hong Kong last year. It's lovely stuff and nothing like the rather peculiar mix that's sold to us unsuspecting Brits.

Richard Spandit
1st Mar 2006, 19:55
Just wish I could get a decent espresso whilst airborne...

G-CPTN
1st Mar 2006, 20:19
Arrived at Southern Italian Hotel after a hot day's driving, gasping for a refreshing drink, duly dispensed from the cooling cabinet. "What's this?" "Tea" "You're kidding!" (I never drank tea). Tea it was, and I survived on it for the rest of my stay. Never had such nice iced tea since though. It was strong, but not laced with tannin. I've tried many times, but never succeeded.

Rossian
1st Mar 2006, 20:25
Some time ago after a long-ish lunchtime session, finished off with three double espressos accompanied by Sambuccas with three coffee beans in each glass, I then drove home through Neapolitan traffic and decided on a little lie down. Forty five minutes later I woke up with a start thinking I was having cardiac arrest - seriously. I lay there and timed my pulse at 145 bpm looking at the bedside clock. Scared the crap out of me - almost literally. The next day my old Italian boss tut-tutted and said, "Remember. American coffee heats the body, Italian coffee perfumes your soul. Only one espresso in the morning and not thereafter" Good advice. So now I prefer tea.
The Ancient Mariner

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 20:28
Worked with two blokes once, one was alergic to tea and the other was alergic to coffee I kid you not,me I usta drink anything the punters gave me with the exception of coffee made with milk yeerrrk:yuk: dunno how anybody can drink that stuff, its like throwing yer lip over a cup of slime with that horrible skin it gets on it.
One used to pretend to drink it gagging all the while, then chuck it into the nearest plant pot when they weren't looking.
:uhoh:

tart1
1st Mar 2006, 21:54
Rossian a couple of years ago, in the middle of the night, I had to take one of my sons to A&E because he felt very ill and peculiar. He said that he felt his heart was racing and then missing a beat.

One of the initial questions they asked (after: have you taken anything?) was: how much coffee have you had today?

It turned out that he had spent the afternoon in a coffeeshop, drinking strong coffees.

On the heart monitor, you could actually see the disturbance in his heartbeat. He had palpitations and an irregular heartbeat..............all caused by that innocent drink, coffee. :ouch:

tall and tasty
1st Mar 2006, 22:12
I love a good perculated coffee, has to be strong and black and love teas that are flavoured like Earls grey, jasmine and green tea, all drunk black with maybe a slice of lemon. If it is the good old loose tea I really like it to be infused for 3-5 mins

I also love them either hot or ice cool in the summer nothing more refreshing especially iced mint tea

TnT

Lon More
1st Mar 2006, 22:24
Wot did you do when younger Mr. Draper? Were there no coffee bars up there? Milky coffee in pyrex cups and Kunzle cakes? Skiffle on the juke box? BSA Bantam (ex-GPO for a tenner) outside? Half a pot of Brylcreem on your head and an out of date pack of three in your wallet?

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 22:36
Oh yers there was a coffee bar,one recalls as a spotty yoof wishing to look cool and ordering a black coffee no sugar,yerk twas foul,neverthe less one had to drink it or lose face,small wonder those cowboys are alus shooting each other,well in my day they shot each other,prolly wack each other with their handbags now.
Anyway one never said one disliked coffee,just milky coffee,one drinks lossa coffee,but one could survive without it if necessary ,one could not survive in a tea less world
:rolleyes:

tinpis
1st Mar 2006, 22:47
Liptons iced tea here .Green or peach me faves.Dont seem to be able to recreate it meself from the powdered ice tea tho?
Tin still hasnt had a Latte.

tony draper
1st Mar 2006, 22:59
Latte or Lartee used to a common slang term for the toilet round here,one admits one has not heard it used for a long time,but it will be a cold day in hell before Drapes pays five quid for a cup of feckin coffee.
One used to enjoy the occasional Irish coffee but in those days even with good whiskey it only cost 6 shillings,and one recals one used to moan about that price as well.
:E