PDA

View Full Version : MAS situation- Flight International 28 Feb

ASIAN FROG
1st Mar 2006, 07:01
Extract of Flight international 28 February

Malaysia Airlines warns of April bankruptcy if cash injection not found

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) warns it will go bankrupt in April if it does not immediately restructure its business and raise cash....

MAStake
1st Mar 2006, 09:14
Not surprising when good money is being spent on chauffeur-driven limousines for the managers.

The rot set in years ago when incompetent MBAs started running the show. In the Flight Operations Dept millions were spent on the so-called Intelligent Crew Management System (ICMS.) The correct term should have been "Intelligent Crew, Management Stupid."

Shintaro9
1st Mar 2006, 10:19
:{
Idris gave you all whistles, start blowing. Ominous isn't it, getting your whistles prior to the ship sinking.
BTW talking about ICMS man. Apparently landed LHR with low fuel state. No Pan Pan, no SOP. The man's immunity's pretty good. So far no action taken on him for not following SOPs, for that matter on all his misdeeds.
Such is the spell the man has on flt ops. Wonder which bomoh (witchdoctor) he's using to cast his spells on the toad.
Good luck guys in your turnaround plan. Hope MAS survives.
:sad:

ScootCargoOps
1st Mar 2006, 12:53
MAS will never go into bankruptcy the government won’t let it happen. The same way BA is protected.

Fair.Pilot
1st Mar 2006, 15:23
Petrol price up by 30 cents per litre.... MAS won't go bankrupt!

MASsenger
2nd Mar 2006, 00:08
I believe MAS is already bankrupt. However the G will simply not allow it to declare as such. There`s pride and years & years of prejudice involved here, which has led to inflated ego. Do you expect BOLEHANS to admit defeat & hang their head down. What has happened is not new. The sad part is lessons are never learnt. People from the same pot are chosen to lead and the end result is inevitably the same. Nope, no bankruptcy, but nothing much will change.

The show goes on…….same **** different spade!

beyondexpectations
4th Mar 2006, 00:11
:ok: i am sure the LHDN will thank you, all who diligently paid your taxes to support the never-going-to-bankrupt-government-will-never-let-it-happen airline. as long as there are taxpayers, that will always be true, unless ofcourse, if lets say the billions of ringgit has to go elsewhere for patching up other more essential GLCs.:cool:
never say never...:E

Brianigham
4th Mar 2006, 14:42
http://hq.malaysiaairlines.com/mys/eng/about_us/investor_relations/investor_relations.asp
most of it is here guys.
wish us luck this time around.
Finally, based on recent trends, it is our view that the information regarding our business turnaround is in all likelihood to leak, therefore issuing the document upfront to external stakeholders is a far better way to manage corporate information disclosure.

ASIAN FROG
5th Mar 2006, 12:04
A rumor is spread: MAS is slashing or reducing the AB INITIO Training, some schools are shaking... Any confirmation?

camelbird
5th Mar 2006, 21:08
The airline has manage to survive this long because of its staff. The present group of managers should be held accountable for this sorry state and replaced. If those jokers have any decency they should all leave.
The world can see that this guys know nuts about running an airline.:*

MASsenger
6th Mar 2006, 07:12
Guys, there is a serious problem in MAS which goes on years &
years blindly. The problem is the selection of suitable staff. I would`nt give the staff credit for survival of MAS, certainly not the majority of them. In fact a good number is responsible for the present state of affairs. For those who watched TV3 ( Malaysian TV channel ) a few nights ago, you would have heard MAS new CEO saying ‘when SIA can do it , why not us’. The answer to that question is, SIA is highly professional in it`s selection of staff. MAS looks heavily at `kulitfication' ( one group of community). There are staff at all levels in MAS who are just deadwood. More often than not, it`s the deadwood that get the promotions, again because of kulifitcation. Many of the quality employees have just packed their bags out of frustration and moved on to other airlines. The deadwood have their comfort zones in MAS, so they will not leave. No airline in the world will touch them as they are only good for warming their fat butts. As long as this issue is not addressed, and I don`t think it will be, MAS will always be the same – Just an average Asian Airline.

Fair.Pilot
6th Mar 2006, 14:21
MAS = Mesti Ada Saudara?

Captain Rat
6th Mar 2006, 16:53
Saw in the press that MAS are to drop numerous flights, including some to Europe, LHR to PEN and Langkawi is one I believe.

Sultan Ismail
7th Mar 2006, 00:43
Dropping destinations

The Langkawi and Penang stops were intended to assist holiday travellers to the respective islands, however it probably cost more than the "traveller spend" on the islands. Seems a good idea to drop them.

However the news bulletins suggest that destinations like Zurich and Paris will also get the chop, in favour of codeshares, this won't work with Zurich as Swiss use the MAS codeshare, and Air France route through Amsterdam using KLM or MAS codeshare.

One destination they won't drop is South Africa, fares are 30% over the London route and its a shorter flight, but it is always waitlisted and obviously full at all times.

Idris Jala has admitted that on some routes the airline makes a loss even with a full load, is this the way to run a business?

ASIAN FROG
7th Mar 2006, 02:08
Yeah, dropping destinations, freezing the staff, not renewing any retirement, postponing cadet recruitment...selling non productive aircraft or those too fuel greedy, or too much maintenance, it is the usual action kit of the manager in such circumstances!!!

camelbird
7th Mar 2006, 07:03
Yeah, i agree that some of the staff are deadwood, but it's the majority of hard working under paid staff that is holding this airline afloat. Lets face it, managers come and go but the rest will still be there.
There is nothing new that this new guys are doing but what else can they do? This company is not run like a airline company should, so don't hold your breath.

ASIAN FROG
7th Mar 2006, 08:51
I cannot say anything about what happens inside MAS as I am not MAS staff, just a spectator. I just state the usual behavior of most managers. I think also Malaysia must be careful because the population is increasing, oil money is less and less sufficient for compensating all the economical leakages.

Fair.Pilot
7th Mar 2006, 17:55
Where does MAS get their supplies i.e fuel, raw materials,contractors, supports and so on?

I have NEVER SEEN an open tender in the newspapers? Have you?

Only those Datuks(nonsense title to me) and close associates benefited?

MAS= Pain in the a*s of taxpayers!

GTR-34
7th Mar 2006, 18:34
with MAS cutting down routes where r the aircrafts gonna fly 2??? There will be excess crew? or shortage when the guys leave. I wonder what's gonna happen :)

confirm-finals?
8th Mar 2006, 11:03
MAS airlines problem lies in simple maths:

8 people doing the job of 1

And that is not just management, it's across the whole company!

camelbird
8th Mar 2006, 18:33
MAS airlines problem lies in simple maths:

8 people doing the job of 1
And that is not just management, it's across the whole company!
IT's more like 1 doing the job for 8,

Jonathan83
9th Mar 2006, 05:09
I just recently got a call from my friend telling me that his intake (Self-Sponsor) for MFA has been brought forward to end of this year (from 2007). The Flying Schools are indeed shaking. Has MAS completely stop it's Cadet Pilot program or the quota has just been cut? AirAsia is doing the same thing by stoping the cadet program. That's the latest news that i've heard. Not so sure whether it's true or not. How many pilots from MAS is leaving. I heard there are close to a quarter of the pilots. Most of them are going to Middle East. True?

MAS = Mana Ada System:mad:

Truely on "kulitfication" as you guys mention. :}

J

ASIAN FROG
9th Mar 2006, 05:42
The Flying School of MFA is lagging by an impressive number of hours, maybe it is just a corrective action as they cannot accept any more students until the situation is coming back to normal. In such a case it is responsible and not due to MAS crisis.

ScootCargoOps
9th Mar 2006, 16:05
With MAS reducing their aircraft numbers and AirAsia picking up some of their 737’s and pilots, I can see both cadet schemes slowing down for a year or two.

MASsenger
10th Mar 2006, 00:39
Hit right on the nail. Let me tell you what`s keeping it a float, roughly 25% of staff are the real workers. Unfortunately these 25% are not entitled to any promotion. They stay on no matter what, simply to make a living and retire. MAS practices discrimination to the highest degree!!!

Jonathan83
10th Mar 2006, 10:11
Yeah, 25% of the staffs are the only one working. So sad that they are not recognize in this matter. AK just lauched it's LCC and it seems that they got some new domestic and international route to fly. AK is going way up! Way to go TONY. When are the pilots leaving MAS? I heard some are leaving in MAY. Not too sure about that. Must some how rather make friends with MAS chairman so that i can have a job that pays me 2000USD a day. :p
It seems that they are still going to push forward the intake for cadets this year.
I wonder what will happen when they loose most of thier pilots. Will the planes be put up for displays to get some bucks?:confused:

To the Staffs and pilots in MAS who is trying to make a difference and coping there with all the craps from the management, keep it up. You guys are the strong ones. I salute you.:ok:

camelbird
10th Mar 2006, 10:59
To those guys who are still in MAS and trying to earn a decent buck,i wish them all the best. But watch your back because this company don't give two hoot about your welfare.

Masbolehlah
10th Mar 2006, 15:39
It is interesting times in MAS . Pilots will be getting an ex gratia(bonus) by end of March as a token of appreciation by the new management. Also the A380 is still coming as ordered . Two new 744 freighter has also just arrived . Some 744P will be removed over the years but pilots affected will be absorbed into the A380 fleet. Domestic flights will be a slightly reduced in destinations flown but frequencies to chosen sectors increased. MD expects profit at end of year 2007 and then promised a pay rise . So why so gloomy ? Reeeeelax lah brothers...:ok:

camelbird
10th Mar 2006, 18:39
Yes, the company is doing this and that but then again, what do you expect them to say? Hope it turns out all right because what was said had already been said before, and what happened? MAS in debt to it's eye ball. Oh yes, I'm pretty relax now from here, hope you are brother!:D

GTR-34
12th Mar 2006, 18:04
i wish the guys waiting for command upgrade in MAS best of luck..with the cutting back on routes there might even be an access of crew soon! Hope that idris can clean up the mess and the gov not put in another leech after the cleanup:rolleyes: Petrol and living cost is gonna go up and this happens just after the pay rise (whatda timing!)) Cheers guys!! safe flts..:)

Jonathan83
13th Mar 2006, 02:17
Relax?! That's what MAS chairman has been doing all this while!!!
Everybody seems to be pretty relaxed. I meant for those who is not tied up with MAS. 57 years of existence, Loses all over the years, and is still standing. MAS is one of the strongest company ever.:ok: The public is paying for MAS even if they don't buy a ticket. :eek: With the rise of petrol price in malaysia (30cents), The Goverment is saving RM2 Billion. And guess how much is MAS going to need to survive this time. Well, You guys can take a wild guess. :}

camelbird
13th Mar 2006, 06:39
Heard that there is a BA guy running flt ops. Hope he could clear all the mess that the previous jokers did. But that is only one part of the equation.

Latif-Returns
13th Mar 2006, 08:37
rise of petrol price in malaysia (30cents),

Ahh MAS buy there gas in bulk and not at the local corner Petronas petrol station...