PDA

View Full Version : Why do I have to Disable/Enable network commection to acces the Internet

GMS
28th Feb 2006, 22:45
Please could somebody help with the following problem.

When I start my PC I get the LAN showing a connection between the PC and modem. If I try to connect to the internet by launching IE, Firefox or Outlook I get an error message. I have to Disable the LAN connection and then Enable it to access the Internet. Can anybody shed any light on the solution?

Many thanks,

GMS

Oxeagle
1st Mar 2006, 17:27
Hi there GMS,
I'll try to help but I need a little more info. What do you mean by modem? As in internal or external? If its external i'm guessing you have an ADSL connection? Also is it a modem or router? If it is external are you using a USB or Ethernet connection to link it to the computer?

Once you post this info I (and quite a few other members I expect) should be able to answer your question! :)

GMS
2nd Mar 2006, 00:08
Oxeagle,

I have an ADSL 128k connection via an Ethernet cable. Not sure if I have a router or modem, it is external. Would this be enough for now?

Thanks for your help,

GMS

vapilot2004
2nd Mar 2006, 06:23
GMS, try this next time you start up instead of disable/enable:

Assuming XP, click Start, Run then type CMD and hit ENTER key on your keyboard (or click OK)

type:
ipconfig /release

hit ENTER

type:
ipconfig /renew

hit ENTER

wait a few moments for the renew to occur - should see some numbers (IP address, DNS data....)

type exit and hit ENTER to close the cmd window.

If you are now online ok - you may need to change start-up order - powering modem earlier - or depowering/repowering modem when you start your PC.

Or there may be issues with your PC's TCP/IP settings.

GMS
19th Mar 2006, 08:10
Thanks vapilot2004, unfortunately your recommendation has not solved the problem.

GMS

BRL
19th Mar 2006, 10:40
Hi. From what I can gather, (from chatting to others about this who also use a modem/router for wireless) is this happens quite often and there is very little one can do about it. It sometimes happens with mine. I have a Belkin, wireless modem/router and often I have to pull the power lead out of the back and put it back in again then wait for it to start up and it is ok then. Same ting happens to some of the lads at work with a similar set-up. I don't think there is much you can do really!

born2fly_au
19th Mar 2006, 15:32
What Make and model modem is it? Are you also running a local network? If so, are other computers on the local network accessing the internet through your computer? also do you have a network card fitted to your computer?
Allen